• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Storage

Just beat the game on PC.
Great game, great combat system, decent music for combat, really fun level design; however, I wish it was a bit longer.

Riposte

Guys, I was secretly asking for that new mix of "never surrender"... someone posted it here before (like before there was an OT) and I need to listen to it again.

DMC3's intro is godlike. Lady narrating the story of DMC and Sparda's legacy with Dante/Vergil fighting on top of Temen-Ni-Gru in the moonlight while it's raining. It's an iconic DMC scene.

And then it follows up with one of the most over the top action cutscenes in gaming.

Hell yeah. Best opening cutscene ever.

rvy

Banned

This must have been Itsuno's contribution to this game.

1359760353861izuxd.jpg

Dahbomb

Oh man the best part was when the guy used one Credo's spear and impaled the other one with it... then he did it 3 times in a row!!!

I like that he was able to keep up with the other Credo's health without a lifebar, so he could finish him off with a DT' Bringer beatdown

I miss DT beatdowns. When I first did a mothafuckin' suplex into a dropkick on a Knight, I actually screamed, real talk

I like that he was able to keep up with the other Credo's health without a lifebar, so he could finish him off with a DT' Bringer beatdown

I miss DT beatdowns. When I first did a mothafuckin' suplex into a dropkick on a Knight, I actually screamed, real talk

I think his shield turning red is a indication that his health is low IIRC.

Dahbomb

Yea the shield color changes are general indicators of his status.

When the shield is at no color at all it means he will pretty much die from the next DT Beatdown.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I saw a video of someone playing the PC version of DMC4 (pretty sure it was DMD), fighting 10+ Dante on the screen at the same time, using royal guard. Royal Guard was blocking the most absurd bullshit I've ever seen. The only downside was that he was using the Super Dante costume and still almost died.

Credo is an excellent boss. The AI the moveset, all that shit. He's like a clear evolution of those Angel Knight dudes

I love me some humanoid bosses

I also weep because I'll never be able to swag that hard. Keep in mind the dude was fighting them on DMD lol

Credo is an excellent boss. The AI the moveset, all that shit. He's like a clear evolution of those Angel Knight dudes

I also weep because I'll never be able to swag that hard. Keep in mind the dude was fighting them on DMD lol

Dude, even DMC2's humanoid bosses, Bolverk and Despair Embodied, were fun. There is just something about humanoid bosses in DMC, Nelo Angelo, Bolverk, Despair Embodied, Vergil, Dante, Angelo Credo, Vorgin, etc....

Dahbomb

You will weep harder when you see this guy swagging on Credo in GMD mode (God Must Die mode which is a difficulty mod much harder than DMD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPOofhhffI&sns=em

Man now I want to see DMC4 Dante vs 10 AI Dante. Plz someone find that link for great truth and swag.

MYE

My biggest problem with this game is that the camera keeps getting caught up on the environment. It's like Kingdom Hearts all over again. Other than that, the game is pretty enjoyable so far (I'm on mission 2). I'm not the biggest DMC fan, but I might give the older ones another chance once I beat this.

You're gonna love the old DMC's camera system lol

scitek

I beat this today, I liked it a lot. I was even surprised by how much I liked the story and how well it was paced. I think that's always been one of Ninja Theory's strengths, though. Still, I find it highly replayable and addicting, so I'll dive back in in due time.

Does anyone know how Ninja Theory does facial animation so well? Is there a secret to it, or is it just meticulous attention to detail? Regardless, they're among the best in the business at that in particular, and it really adds a lot.

And for you PC guys, how well does the original DMC work in PCSX2?

I beat this today, I liked it a lot. I was even surprised by how much I liked the story and how well it was paced. I think that's always been one of Ninja Theory's strengths, though. Still, I find it highly replayable and addicting, so I'll dive back in in due time.

Does anyone know how Ninja Theory does facial animation so well? Is there a secret to it, or is it just meticulous attention to detail? Regardless, they're among the best in the business at that in particular, and it really adds a lot.

And for you PC guys, how well does the original DMC work in PCSX2?

I thought they usually outsouced their facial animation?

Yea the shield color changes are general indicators of his status.

When the shield is at no color at all it means he will pretty much die from the next DT Beatdown.

Yeah you are right.

Man, how did the DmC thread ended up with all these Swag DMC4 Videos?

scitek

I thought they usually outsouced their facial animation?

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. All I know is it's consistently up there as some of the best I've seen. And it's in their games specifically, so if they outsource it, other studios would do well to find out to where.

ezekial45

Banned
Are you talking about the co-op aspect? or the customization (you can alter the waves, layout, and structure of the levels)

Because NGS2 had co-op, which was fairly decent.

Dahbomb

The customizable trials. Co-op is something that the DMC team should look into if only for the side modes and not for the main campaign. Just the possibility of multi character combos is something that would push the series to a new height.

Dahbomb

Not having a level in DmC where Vergil fights alongside you was a real missed opportunity.
When at the start of the Mundus fight Dante and Vergil were walking through the corridors I was like "OH SHIT DANTE + VERGIL VS MUNDUS EPIC BATTLE TIME!!!" Too bad it didn't pan out that way.

jett

D-Member
When at the start of the Mundus fight Dante and Vergil were walking through the corridors I was like "OH SHIT DANTE + VERGIL VS MUNDUS EPIC BATTLE TIME!!!" Too bad it didn't pan out that way.

It seemed to me NT contrived different ways to always keep them apart during gameplay. It'd be such a cool idea, AI Vergil serving you up enemies for combos and viceversa.

And no, it didn't pan out that way at all. At all. :p

To be fair we all thought the same thing during the DMC3 Arkham fight, with that dope-ass cutscene transition. Then Vergil just swung and air and did synchronized jumps with Dante, which looked stupid since the boss fight just had you jump and shoot guns. Plus the asshole even took your styles away.

Just another homage to DMC3!

I beat it last night. Overall I really dug it. The story wasn't super deep and yes, Dante was a asshole but he changes a little by the end..I mean that's his arc. I hope they make a DMC 2 I really liked the level design and art. Combat wasn't as deep as 3 or 4 but it was defiantly easier, which for me was better cause I was never hardcore. The thing I don't get is why does everyone online call Dante emo? Emo is emotional and inner, Dante in this game has a "F YOU" attitude and isn't emo at all, he's punk.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
To be fair we all thought the same thing during the DMC3 Arkham fight, with that dope-ass cutscene transition. Then Vergil just swung and air and did synchronized jumps with Dante, which looked stupid since the boss fight just had you jump and shoot guns. Plus the asshole even took your styles away.

Just another homage to DMC3!

At least you could have someone play Vergil co-op with you with a second controller.

Dahbomb

I beat it last night. Overall I really dug it. The story wasn't super deep and yes, Dante was a asshole but he changes a little by the end..I mean that's his arc. I hope they make a DMC 2 I really liked the level design and art. Combat wasn't as deep as 3 or 4 but it was defiantly easier, which for me was better cause I was never hardcore. The thing I don't get is why does everyone online call Dante emo? Emo is emotional and inner, Dante in this game has a "F YOU" attitude and isn't emo at all, he's punk.
People call the OG Dante/Vergil emo sometimes too. It's really more dress sense than attitude although in both cases it's a fail comment.

Although there's this one flashback where
Dante is feeling inside his chest for his heart which is about as emo as it gets.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This just makes me wish the classic DMC series had a mission mode a la Ninja Gaiden Black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfQRL8R1TQ

It was such a missed opportunity on their part.

Multi boss fights were the worst part about NGB Mission Mode (except for the Worms of course which were meant to be fought in groups). More of a clusterfuck than a challenge. I agree it would've worked well for DMC though. Better than those awkward Secret levels at any rate...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not having a level in DmC where Vergil fights alongside you was a real missed opportunity.
Actually, that highlights one of my issues with the story telling and experience.

Dialog and character interaction is 100% limited to cutscenes. I really wish they had managed to integrate some dialog bits as well as sections where characters are working together into the game itself. As it stands everything feels so segregated. Cutscene -> Hallway with platforming -> arena with waves of enemies -> next cutscene

They handled this infinitely better in Enslaved.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Actually, that highlights one of my issues with the story telling and experience.

Dialog and character interaction is 100% limited to cutscenes. I really wish they had managed to integrate some dialog bits as well as sections where characters are working together into the game itself. As it stands everything feels so segregated. Cutscene -> Hallway with platforming -> arena with waves of enemies -> next cutscene

The few times they do end up doing this (intro to mission 4 with Kat and...mission 12 I think?) are a drag on replays. It's a hard balance to achieve for the type of game DmC is.

jett

D-Member

Good lord no. Like Papercuts said, the missions that do this are pretty awful on replay. DMC should not be Uncharted. The idea I'm proposing is pure combat gameplay with no bullshit.

Dahbomb

The worst parts to replay in the game are where the game strips you of your options and you have to walk through Limbo with Kat while the two talk about shit. No way to go through it faster or to skip it.

Keep that shit away from DMC please or if you put it in make sure it's skippable. So much unskippable non sense in the game.

Top Bottom