• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

I think the music in the game is pretty damn excellent, I thought it really fit. I wouldn't listen to it outside of the game, but then the same goes for previous entries into the series anyway, basically.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
My brain has this musical blind spot when it comes to Devil May Cry games. Like, I hate music like that in every other situation, but it's weirdly appropriate in this. It's like how all my senses tell me that Taste the Blood is fucking awful, but it works so well in DMC3.

Make your move~ Make your stand~!

Riposte

My brain has this musical blind spot when it comes to Devil May Cry games. Like, I hate music like that in every other situation, but it's weirdly appropriate in this. It's like how all my senses tell me that Taste the Blood is fucking awful, but it works so well in DMC3.

Context matters.

I thought there was a new version of DMC4's cheesy "Never Surrender"? I have the sudden urge to listen to that.

Jawmuncher

Oh I understand completely.
By all means Devils Never Cry in DMC3 is a "bad" song but god damn if it doesn't pump you up to play some DMC.

TimeInc

the combination of dreamrunners and harpies, and also ghost rages and a witch is a nightmare... it's so hard trying to focus on one of them and the other one is constantly attacking.

Facism

I just got to the part where Vergal confirms how much of a massive pussy-o he is.

"hey guys i'm calculating and benovelent, get our troops out of Iraq....BU BU DONTE WHAT ABOUT MY PLANS DONTE DON'T LEAVE ME DONTE I NEED YOU" /simpmode

jett

D-Member
Some music in the game definitely pumps you up, so it does what it set out to do.

The final boss is almost Metroid Other M levels of obscurity. But one thing gives it away
His doppelganger gives loads of purple orbs

Yeah that's how I knew what I had to do.

Mike M

Nick N
So the soundtrack for DmC I'm not a big fan of.
Personally 3 and 4 I thought had much better songs, however DmC does have this

http://youtu.be/KE1GoVlBUqg

Best song in the game personally and it play during the credits of all places.

( still missing the love for the mundus battle music, didnt really feel it)

Never Surrender is also in the cinematic with the trailer in the first mission and the BGM to the first fight of the game.

I also liked it the most of the songs in the game, it's pretty infectious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some music in the game definitely pumps you up, so it does what it set out to do.

Yeah that's how I knew what I had to do.
I know, right? The soundtrack seemed like it wouldn't work all that well based on the trailers but it actually fits the game brilliantly. First game in the "series" in which I'd say the music actually contributed to the experience. Also, fuck, even if the story ultimately let me down, the presentation of it is just damn good. I love the way NT handles cutscenes. The entire intro was just fantastic (just restarted the game last night).

The game makes a great first impression. For some reason, strong introductions really stick with me after a game is all said and done. The other four games in the series never really did much for me on that front but DmC just knocks it out of the park. It sets up the villain right away, delivers a great credits sequence, and then kicks right into Dante's setup.

I actually popped in DMC3 HD just after finishing this one and, yeah, the gameplay is still hot but the intro to the game feels weak in comparison. Still an awesome game but, man, the anime doll characters, ugly intro, and segmented beginning definitely doesn't do much for me.

Personally 3 and 4 I thought had much better songs
Seriously? The music in both of those games (especially 4) is repetitive to the point of frustration and never good. I hated most of the tunes in those games. :\

jett

D-Member
DMC4 repeats the exact same shitty song in every single combat encounter for the entire game.

FUCK DMC4's soundtrack.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DMC4 repeats the exact same shitty song in every single combat encounter for the entire game.

FUCK DMC4's soundtrack.
Yup. It's fucking awful. Every other song in the soundtrack is overshadowed by this huge oversight.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

FUCK DMC4's soundtrack.

I agree about the normal battle themes, but the boss battle music in DMC4 is probably my favorite in the series (with the original DMC's boss musical tracks coming in second)

Dahbomb

I can't imagine playing with M+KB with how accurate you can be with directional inputs for the soft lock. The previous DMCs would probably be slightly better.

That DMD difficulty Foyer with the
witch and two dreamwalkers
is driving me crazy. I'm determined to out style it for my SSS run.
I don't play with the mouse at all though, all the inputs are on the keyboard and I use the mouse only for occasional camera control. I think the game plays great on KB, much better than previous DMC games where you constantly had to hold down a lock on button and do directional inputs. Doing back, forward inputs on KB was pretty awful. You don't do double tap motions that much in the game anyway.

As far as the OST to DmC goes I liked 3 tracks. The track that played at the final boss fight (because it had the least amount of vocals), one of the battle themes that played earlier on (called No Redemption) and the battle theme that plays in the club mission (Sent us to destroy). All 3 of them have a certain part in them that gets me going. The rest of the track are just mediocre wub dub and a shit ton of screaming in the mic to the point of being distracting. Honestly speaking the soundtrack isn't that much better or worse than previous games, probably better than DMC4's soundtrack just because of the variety in this one.

Wonko_C

That should have been the default battle music for the whole game, all previous Devil May Cry games have one or two battle tunes that play when enemies appear.

My favorite is still http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaiEljOMtd4 from DMC3. I don't understand what the hell is the guy singing but it's so fun trying making up the lyrics:

The fleas in your eye, how should we love them?
Feel free to drown if I'm in your side.
Useless cars, strike in your back.
You left a leash, when you've returned.

Maybe there is a way to mod songs into the game?

Anteater

Yo HaH and the disco color swapping floors, shield mobs + dream runner is bullshit

beats the shit of of dreamrunner and just hang out in the air for the rest, success!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, I finished DMC2 yesterday. What a terrible fucking game. DmC Dante has more in common with DMC1 Dante than DMC2 Dante has. I mean that.

Now, I'm replaying DMC3, and fucking loving it.

Done. Pretty enjoyable overall.

Mundus was the worst part to me. Just generic to the max. Also, that ending kind of blew. Mundus was stupid easy to the point I couldn't believe it was over. And then it turns out it's not, because Vergil flips his shit out of nowhere. Dumb. I feel like we just didn't learn enough about his character for it to mean anything or for it to feel natural. He was also fucking crazy easy, like the easiest fight in the game easy. I could have taken down an army of those bitches, let alone two of him.

Also, I hope to fuck they planned on Dante's hair turning white from the start and that wasn't just them caving to internet bitching.

Really did like it. Entertaining at least. Not a bad way to start the year off. Only ever played the first game and part four. So it's not really a series I hold near and dear or anything.

I actually popped in DMC3 HD just after finishing this one and, yeah, the gameplay is still hot but the intro to the game feels weak in comparison. Still an awesome game but, man, the anime doll characters, ugly intro, and segmented beginning definitely doesn't do much for me.

iupC5qsKla4HT.png

Yea. I've been in a dark electronica beat so Combichrist's songs have fit me right in. My favorite song by far is No Redemption. The only crime with that song is that its so short.

The final boss is almost Metroid Other M levels of obscurity. But one thing gives it away
His doppelganger gives loads of purple orbs
I honestly didn't notice that. Had I not asked what to do I'd probably still be sitting in front of my monitor now wondering what to do. The game should have at least
had Virgil insta-kill you or something when you miss the opening to take him out
instead of creating an endless loop of confusion like what happened to me.

Have people always described DMC as "anime"? How the chatacter design or looks are anime? Swear I have never seen this before until now

Or are you guys just pointing out that the characters have Japanese feel to them...?

Have people always described DMC as "anime"? How the chatacter design or looks are anime? Swear I have never seen this before until now

Or are you guys just pointing out that the characters have Japanese feel to them...?

If they did it was meant as a positive or just an interesting design choice, as opposed to being a negative.

nbthedude

If they did it was meant as a positive or just an interesting design choice, as opposed to being a negative.

That is just because it took people a while to realized that Japanese pop-culture really wasn't any more original than American pop culture; it just had a different cliches to become accustomed to. Original Dante is definitely as much of cliche as the dude bro Gears of War guys are.

It's obviously still personal preference. Some people love that stuff. I definitely prefer the new Dante.

Also there is nothing that Ninja Theory could ever do that is nearly as goddamn awful as the use of the phrase "jelly" to mean jealous.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
II actually popped in DMC3 HD just after finishing this one and, yeah, the gameplay is still hot but the intro to the game feels weak in comparison. Still an awesome game but, man, the anime doll characters, ugly intro, and segmented beginning definitely doesn't do much for me.

I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about it? I've watched the DMC3 intro after playing DmC, and I still absolutely love it. I think it's aged very well. It's really personal preference.

Dahbomb

DMC3's intro is godlike. Lady narrating the story of DMC and Sparda's legacy with Dante/Vergil fighting on top of Temen-Ni-Gru in the moonlight while it's raining. It's an iconic DMC scene.

And then it follows up with one of the most over the top action cutscenes in gaming.

jett

D-Member
DMC3's intro is godlike. Lady narrating the story of DMC and Sparda's legacy with Dante/Vergil fighting on top of Temen-Ni-Gru in the moonlight while it's raining. It's an iconic DMC scene.

And then it follows up with one of the most over the top action cutscenes in gaming.

Ya. DMC3's cutscenes are much more entertaining. I pretty much have just skipped everything in my post-Nephilim DmC runs.

That is just because it took people a while to realized that Japanese pop-culture really wasn't any more original than American pop culture; it just had a different cliches to become accustomed to. Original Dante is definitely as much of cliche as the dude bro Gears of War guys are.

It's obviously still personal preference. Some people love that stuff. I definitely prefer the new Dante.

Also there is nothing that Ninja Theory could ever do that is nearly as goddamn awful as the use of the phrase "jelly" to mean jealous.

I'd argue that it's not a preference for "anime" or otherwise Japanese cultural tropes but the role of character design and cutscene presentation as it relates to gameplay. I don't think anyone is claiming that they like old Dante in a vacuum because he's handsome and has white hair.

GrayFoxPL

Finished on Neflim. Enjoyable ride. Solid combat, nice level design, shitty(technical) 10fps cutscenes.

Writing and voice acting were excellent. I especially liked Vergil and how he delivered his lines. Cold. Swag.

Mundus was a joke, but he had some entertaining lines too.

Dante's coat annoyed me through the whole game, looks just bad. Give me alt costumes.

ezekial45

Banned
Patch notes

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/02/01/dmc-pc-patch-details

Game Balance
-Demon evade provides less of a damage and style boost.
-Evades have a shorter invulnerability window.
-Green orbs no longer spawn procedurally when Dante's health is already high. He must now have less than 1/2 his HP for them to spawn.
-SSS and SS ranks will now decay back down to S rank with inactivity.
-Weakest enemies now do more damage.
-You can no longer climb infinitely using Fireworks.

Gameplay
-Mission 20: Vergil health reset bug fixed.
-Secret Missions: Quitting Secret Missions in the middle of a falling attack no longer impairs camera movement.

Controls
-Entering Angel or Demon mode in the same frame as pressing an attack button will now apply that mode to the attack.

UI
-Refresh rate now correctly displays current value.

Sound
-Sound bug during Kicker move when game is running at 75+ FPS has been addressed.

Dahbomb

Game Balance
-Demon evade provides less of a damage and style boost.
-Evades have a shorter invulnerability window.
-Green orbs no longer spawn procedurally when Dante's health is already high. He must now have less than 1/2 his HP for them to spawn.
-SSS and SS ranks will now decay back down to S rank with inactivity.
-Weakest enemies now do more damage.
-You can no longer climb infinitely using Fireworks.
All great changes. But someone forgot to tell them that you can do the same trick as Firework but with Kablooey shots.

A lot of these changes look like feedback from the demo but they really should increase health/increase damage of the bosses in SoS/DMD. DMD bosses are a joke. I can beat the Hunter in 15 seconds flat.

A lot of those changes in the patch seem like direct feedback from the demo. Looks like that was the fastest they can put it out. I'd imagine getting an approval for a patch took weeks time alone.

Dahbomb

By the way I am looking at some of the concept art in this game (it's mostly really good) and came across a concept art of Kat...

kat.jpg

LMAO it's Rihanna.

Also this Kat design is really interesting don't know why they didn't go with this one.

kat2.jpg

Dahbomb

There were firearms that didn't make it into the game. A grenade launcher of some sort and machine pistol. Or they could just be like redesign of the main 3 firearms in the game.

Some enemies that also didn't make it into the game like Ambush and Onyx.

Keasar

Completed the game for the first time on Nephilim.

Combat was pretty good, not DMC3/4 good but good enough, better than anything God of War has made so far at least.
Writing was definetly better than previous games but while that might be a good thing I feel like DMC lost a little of its charm with it. Since I didnt care much about story in earlier games, I kinda liked the corny lines.
Story overall was "eh".
Awesome graphical level design, hats off to Ninja Theory for anything Limbo related.

Weak points are the combat that is brutally easy to be, according to the game, "good" at. All other action games have kicked my ass so far, this is first time I pretty much got S or higher rank in all missions after the first one. And on the hardest available difficulty on the start.
Also bosses are kinda boring. Too much grappling around and they were easy to beat.
Kudos though on the Bob Bardas design, it was pretty awesome to look at.
And then a few other minor details.

Overall, great action game definetly. Just not that great for a already trained DMC fan.

vocab

My biggest problem with this game is that the camera keeps getting caught up on the environment. It's like Kingdom Hearts all over again. Other than that, the game is pretty enjoyable so far (I'm on mission 2). I'm not the biggest DMC fan, but I might give the older ones another chance once I beat this.

Top Bottom