• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Gbraga

Hey, they took out color-coded enemies in the first mission on DMD, that's cool. I hope DMD has a lot less then SoS then.

Heaven or Hell was kinda fun, at least I got my For Tony Redgrave achievement easily

jett

D-Member
well as I said, i was not aware of these things being created before this trailer, its not like ninja theory have made one for their other games nor has Capcom as far as I can tell.

it is easy to make the assumption that this game is getting special treatment as it has been getting extra effort in its marketing all the way up to release, compared to Capcoms other titles. I will say it again. If Dragons dogma was carted out to as many trade shows, had as many trailers released and was put in the hands of as many journalists prerelease as DmC, it would be a multimillion dollar franchise now. Just because the game hasn't had much support post release doesn't change the fact that it had a significant marketing budget and I dont believe for a second that DMC4's was anywhere close to it.

Will you stop the ignorance, please? Capcom wanted Dragon's Dogma to be a massive new IP, they thought it could sell 10 million units(yes, they are nuts). They pushed the game. If you think DmC's marketing support is the equivalent of "special treatment" then I lulz at you good sir.

Anteater

Ended up using super dante on hell and hell for the last boss, I just can't not get hit :(

always fuck up the camera or misdodge/fuck up the parry on those small projectile attacks.

Riposte

Will you stop the ignorance, please? Capcom wanted Dragon's Dogma to be a massive new IP, they thought it could sell 10 million units(yes, they are nuts). They pushed the game. If you think DmC's marketing support is the equivalent of "special treatment" then I lulz at you good sir.

You are also being ignorant. "Capcom" never projected 10 million sells. An excited developer claimed he would like to hit that.

Also I haven't played DmC yet, but I'm reluctant to believe it has "the best combat" for a western action game given what I've read about the enemies.

jett

D-Member
You are also being ignorant. "Capcom" never projected 10 million sells. An excited developer claimed he would like to hit that.

It wasn't a random developer, it was Itsuno himself of speaking on behalf of the company's wishes. I didn't say it was an "official" projection, either. Also, he was sure it would sell 1 million units in Japan, it only sold half of that. I'm not going to derail this thread with that anymore, read up if you want.

Also I haven't played DmC yet, but I'm reluctant to believe it has "the best combat" for a western action game given what I've read about the enemies.

If you haven't played it then you have no opinion to form about it, nor do I care to engage your hypotheticals.

If you think DD was pushed more than DmC then lulz away.

in a corner.

outside objective reality.

but ok, whatever you say say bro. This game has had one of the biggest pre release pushes of any capcom title that isn't a fighter in recent memory. Its a fact that DmC was placed in more hands than DD ever was before release. It was even at EVO for fucks sake.

But if you think im just being ignorant you are welcome to your opinion.

The only significant thing they did with DD over DmC was include the RE6 demo with it.

jett

D-Member

in a corner.

but ok, whatever you say say bro. This game has had one of the biggest pre release pushes of any capcom title that isn't a fighter in recent memory. Its a fact that DmC was placed in more hands than DD ever was before release. It was even at EVO for fucks sake.

The only significant thing they did with DD over DmC was include the RE6 demo with it.

You sure know a lot about video game marketing. Tell us again how nobody has ever made an awards trailer before. Whatever indeed, bro.

DihcarEM

I can only speak for myself but for me the combat is one of the weakest parts of the game and yes i would not give it the title of best combat for a western game(which doesn't mean much anyway).
DmC is the only Dmc game(outside of Dmc2) that i got bored with playing even before i reached DMD mode and my opinion of the game only got worse after that.
Take that as you want, perhaps for you it will be different and you might actually like it.

mandas

Neo Member

in a corner.

DmC also had the trailer shown in theatres with the RE movie didn't it?

*shrugs*

*Takes a puff of his cigarette*

"I don't care"

dontesmokingctlu9.gif

Because, from a business perspective - DmC is part of the Devil May Cry franchise, and DmC doing poorly ultimately reflects poorly on the franchise as a whole. If Dragon's Dogma was seen as a failure, then Capcom is going to assign Itsuno and crew to what they do best and what sells, which is the DMC series. But it seems Dragon's Dogma 2 has been greenlit, so, regardless if DmC sells well or not, Hideaki Itsuno and Production Studio 1 will not be doing a DMC5, because of Dragon's Dogma 2.

I guess ultimately it comes down to the fact that I would rather have seen nothing come out of the DMC franchise than see this game come out.

I would rather it just be a pleasant memory rather than a zombified corpse like this garbage.

I've played it. It's pretty boring after the first playthrough. All the combat tools are no good when the enemy design sucks and the level design is a drag.

Gbraga

Well, that says more about Western Action Games than DmC to be honest. The only title that puts up a fight is Darksiders II (it's probably better actually), but this is not even a hack'n'slash game, so yeah, when it comes to combat, western games are pretty ass.

Sooooo...

I got the game last weekend.
I played through it today.

And I have this to say:

This game is fucking amazing. Reboot or not, Devil May Cry or Devil may Cry, whatever, this game is damn fucking good and in my honest opinion it doesn't deserve even a bit of the hate it sadly gets.

My absolute favorite things about this game:
  • Dante's attitude. Seriously, he is more badass than the original Dante, who was a hardcore motherfucker himself, but this new Dante tops even that somehow.
    At the same time, the new Dante seems also more human than the original Dante, which is a pretty big plus for me. Original Dante was always cool, all the time and didn't have much character development to him to be honest.
    The new Dante still hasn't THAT much character development, but still more than the original had in all four previous games combined.
  • The battle system. Seriously, I like it. It feels way more like Bayonetta, which is a GOOD thing. It's easier to handle, which on the other side makes it easier to not die and finally rack up some awesome combos.
    The original DMC's battle system feels a bit rusty and archaic, this one makes it...well, better in my opinion.
  • Kat is a surprisingly interesting character. On the same level, the relationship between Kat and Dante, as well as Kat and Vergil, was REALLY interesting, right till the end.
  • The facial animations. Well, holy jeez, I think I've never seen facial animations this realistic and believable since L.A. Noire, except in DmC it doesn't look like something right out of the uncanny valley.
  • The boss fight against Bob Barbas. This will be one of the most memorable boss fights I've ever fought. The idea and execution is straight up amazing. Like fighting Tron's MCP Devil May Cry style. Really, really, really good.
  • Lillith's stage. Just like Barbas's boss fight, it's very memorable and amazingly well done and executed. The music on that stage is fucking awesome as well. Fits perfectly. The boss on the other hand was...well, okay. Not as bad as Succubus at least.
  • The soundtrack. The first few songs were already so good that I immediately went and bought the soundtracks on Amazon. Noisia and Combichrist definitely were the right choice for this game.
  • 1080p, 60fps, all cranked up, all the time. Thank you, PC Gaming Master Race.

And a few things I didn't like as much:
  • Succubus. Aside from her not being a Succubus at all as we know it, the boss fight itself was boring and they really, really overdid it with the drawn out FUUUUUCK YOOOOOUUUUUs here. She seemed to have a British accent though, which is a plus, but still.
  • Vergil's presence. Aside from the beginning and the last few missions he wasn't there at all. This Vergil is interesting and they should've done more with him all throughout the game. Still, I like the twist at the end.
  • Phineas' voice actor. Phineas himself was an interesting character with a pretty cool design. His voice actor though could've done a better job. He sounded very monotone at times and not emotional enough at other times.
  • Sparda. Where is he? Is he still wrapped up in chains and stuff? What happened to him at the end of the game? He wasn't even mentioned in the last few missions, although his fate of neverending torture or whatever was repeated throughout the game often enough that I hoped that he's gong to be rescued at some point. Hopefully a sequel will clarify this.

All in all: I really want a sequel. I am glad that I didn't give in to the general and mostly one-sided hate of others.

I enjoyed pretty much everything the game had (and, since I didn't complete it 100%, still has) to offer.
Easily my favorite game of the franchise.

Nemesis_

• Sparda. Where is he? Is he still wrapped up in chains and stuff? What happened to him at the end of the game? He wasn't even mentioned in the last few missions, although his fate of neverending torture or whatever was repeated throughout the game often enough that I hoped that he's gong to be rescued at some point. Hopefully a sequel will clarify this.

I don't think that he is
a legend like he was in the original franchise, just some demon "soldier" who fell in love with an angel and thus was a traitor

I don't know why this dumbed down battle system is getting soo much praise.

Devil May Cry Lite is still better than 90% of action games, it's a matter of perspective.

However, most of the changes NT made to the basic system were direct downgrades, so there's plenty to be disappointed about if you're so inclined.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You're going off the deep end.

DmC is a quality game with the best combat in a western action game. It's too bad you can't see that, or don't care to.

The combat wasn't the problem - outside of no real lock on or target switching the game was actually fairly easy in terms of gameplay. I just didn't care for everything else.

There's nothing inherent about western game designers that they could not theoretically make a combat system better than, say, Bayonetta or DMC.

They just didn't.

I am not positive aiming for Sputnik while other people are hitting the moon is necessarily laudable.

Anteater

I'm not sure what a lot of people are seeing in that
bob fight
, i thought it was one of the dullest boss designs I've seen, he only has 2 attacks where you jump over the fence thing and a ground shockwave right?

Pejo

So I picked this up on PC earlier in the week, finally got some time to sink my teeth into it yesterday.

First of all, I'm no expert on the series of DMC, but I've played, beaten, and enjoyed every game in the series thus far. I really went into this game with low expectations but cautiously optimistic and willing to give it a fair shot. I'm glad i did.

On PC, even on a mid range rig (still waiting for a price drop on current round of graphics cards) this game looks/runs/performs beautifully. The graphics are very colorful and vibrant without being distracting. The original look for Dante made me almost as mad as when they turned Cloud from FFVII into SheCloud (Pre-Lightning?) from Advent Children. The Dante we ended up with was actually really not all that different from DMC4 Dante minus the haircut, which I also didn't hate.

The story and writing, while not the most original or impressive, was at best thought provoking, and at worst a little corny, but based on all the complaints over the whole "No, Fuck you!" thing you'd have thought the whole game was tough guy one liners and smoking cigarettes to look awesome (I don't recall him ever smoking a cigarette).

The combat, well, I'm probably going to catch some flak from some people here, but I actually really liked it. I missed the style selectors for sure, but after receiving
Aquilo
the battle system just "clicked" with me. I loved combo'ing into a launcher, grabbing them and pulling myself to them in the sky, combo'ing again, kicking them away, grabbing them back, and then sending them crashing down with a finisher. It was so damn satisfying and I enjoyed the rooms where they kept throwing enemy after enemy at you, just to let you play. Color coded enemies idea is shit and should die. I feel a better way to handle that would have been to hit them once or until they are into a stun state, then make them vulnerable to all attacks, as it would have encouraged using a broader spectrum of attacks, not just LT + Y Y Y Y Y. Overall though, in the end it did have some familiar DMC feel to it, but it was different enough and accessible enough that it made me feel kinda badass (which i think is what they were going for). Bosses were fun, and that last epic battle was pretty satisfying too, although i feel the "Auto-block" crap kinda makes it more of a "dance around and wait" type affair.

So overall, I started yesterday afternoon, finished late yesterday evening in one sitting. Loved my time with the game, and had a small helping of crow for dinner. I wouldn't mind a sequel with more weapons, no more colored enemies, and our new Dante.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not sure what a lot of people are seeing in that
bob fight
, i thought it was one of the dullest boss designs I've seen, he only has 2 attacks where you jump over the fence thing and a ground shockwave right?

Most of the boss fights in the game were really dull... especially the last two. I expected something halfway challenging at the end but it just didn't happen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You sure know a lot about video game marketing. Tell us again how nobody has ever made an awards trailer before. Whatever indeed, bro.

I don't understand why you have chosen this game to be your Eva Braun.

jett

D-Member
The combat wasn't the problem - outside of no real lock on or target switching the game was actually fairly easy in terms of gameplay. I just didn't care for everything else.

You target switch with uh, the control stick. If you're shooting you can target switch with L3. For me it's all about the combat and actual gameplay. Thankfully, I don't give a flying fuckaroo about story in these kind of games. If that's your main reason for playing a DMC game then, well, man... :p

I don't understand why you have chosen this game to be your Eva Braun.

Maybe I simply really like it, and frankly too much bullshit is spewed against it. Like you, for instance, no offense. Nothing but hate before you actually played it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You target switch with uh, the control stick. If you're shooting you can target switch with L3. For me it's all about the combat and actual gameplay. Thankfully, I don't give a flying fuckaroo about story in these kind of games. If that's your main reason for playing a DMC game then, well, man... :p

Well, like I said before... the mythology in the older DMC titles was actually somewhat interesting - especially with the inclusion of in-between novels and manga that were released.

jett

D-Member
Well, like I said before... the mythology in the older DMC titles was actually somewhat interesting - especially with the inclusion of in-between novels and manga that were released.

Well I can understand if you're into all that that DmC might have seemed disappointing. The story is definitely MEH. I skipped all cut-scenes in my post-Nephilim runs, they're not even entertaining to watch.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe I simply really like it, and frankly too much bullshit is spewed against it. Like you, for instance, no offense. Nothing but hate before you actually played it.

They showed me garbage. I reacted accordingly.

Dahbomb

You might want to spoiler tag that.

You can dodge cancel out of any angel weapon attack at any frame. Demon weapons are almost never cancellable while rebellion is somewhere in the middle. That seems to be how they wanted to balance it. Dunno if it was successful (leaning towards no)
Yeah this has been known since the demo days. I think this is one of the things that does make the weapons balanced. Demon weapons build style and deal damage very effectively but you can really only use moves like Trinity Smash on DMD when you have a window. This is also why I find myself using Osiris so much, it's the safest weapon in the game alongside Aquila.

Haven't played this game yet, but I want to as a fan of NT, how close would say the game achieved the feel of that original trailer?
Some elements are the same, some aren't. Dante is better looking than that and doesn't smoke, plus his personality is less sadistic. The weapon design is also changed, your base weapon doesn't transform you just have multiple weapons. You also can't pull stuff out of the environment to damage enemies, you only do that stuff for platforming. Enemy designs and general background art design is the same (with the graffiti all over).

Game is way better than that original trailer IMO. The original trailer doesn't even show morphing environments.

Top Bottom