• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
New n472a video

Looks pretty good.
How do you cancel Kablooey shots like that?

edit: And he does some sort of uppercut with Eryx while in the air, don't know that either.

From the comments:
"But I still don't understand are you making fun of the game's ranking system and difficulty, or you're actually enjoying it"
I really hope something like ironically mastering a game exists.

Realtalk, fighting a pair of Rages - especially color coded - is more challenging than any of the game's bosses.
Color coded Rages combined with a witch is probably the toughest thing this game has to offer.

I need to pick up DMC HD collection. I enjoyed the hell out of DmC and Bayonetta, beat DMC1, but never really got around to DMC3. I have the special edition and everything, I just never played it.

I did play it. I died. A lot. Only made it to the second mission before I took a break and never got back to it. : (

DMC3 is fucking awesome.

gunbo13

Great post. What do you think of DMC4 vs. Bayo?
DMC4 is better due to the combat engine. Bayo is a better title for gamers. Both are really subject to big flaws but enjoyment comes down to what you like about action games.
We talked about this at some other point and I still disagree with this assessment. All of Bayonettas weapons had the unique functions. Not to the difference in degree that as DMC3 or NG weapons have between them where there is literally no overlap at all, but I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing. It just means that you have to bring out each weapons uniqueness rather than having it be apparent to you. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they are separate. Everything else you said, even if I don't agree with it, I can see where your coming from. Here? U cray.
It's hardly crazy. Weapon uniqueness isn't just about function, it's about depth. And the funny thing is that I'm not even bringing in the fire/devilarms vs. Bayo arsenal. The depth of Artemis itself can swallow up most of those Bayo skins. Every Bayo weapon is either a variation or one that encompasses a known feature. Like you need this weapon for charges, this one to pack a bunch, this one for range, etc... You might say that DMC3 is the same but that is far from the truth. Mainly because DMC3 just has breadth.

How much can you say about space control with the Bayo arsenal? How about synergy? Defense vs. offense? Matching specifics to gameplay style? How about just the aesthetics or the idea of remembering their names?

In DMC3 I could write a book on space control with just the devil arms. Try playing with TS and Beo. Synergy? SM A&R & Beo have maybe the best combat synergy around. Reb for possible rush-down? Artemis for charge and keep-away? How about using RG with Beo or Cerb with the stylish SM moves? And is one weapon a fucking guitar???

Can I say the same about Bayo? No. Can you? It's just a lot to a little comparison here. One game is basically the epitome of weapon balance and one is forgettable. NG has better weapon balance then Bayo and I can pick that apart as well.

EDIT:
Can we also abolish the word "cray?" My GF says it all the time and it drives me crazy! :p

Dahbomb

In Bayo you could witch time and just spam to hair finishers.
This isn't exactly true. The whole game is balanced around the longer/shorter strings plus dodge offset. Because enemies are more aggressive they will usually interrupt your string. That's where Dodge Offset comes in. Plus all the various strings are balanced by how long they are ie. longer combos have a bigger pay off at the end. You need Dodge Offset to be able to use the longer strings in actual combat without being interrupted if you want to effectively. This is a novel idea and it's why NG fails where Bayonetta succeeds. You can play safe with shorter strings YXY or go for the bigger pay off in longer strings incorporating Dodge Offset into your game. Also you add in aerial combos, gun combat, different forms, weapon swap which all ties the combat together very well.

You didn't address enemies in DMC3 which I pointed out before. Bayonetta crushes DMC3 in enemies, it's not even a fair comparison. Considering that you fight enemies for a vast majority of the game, it leads to a ho-hum experience fighting Soul Eaters, Dullahan and Chess pieces. You can't just judge DMC3 based on a few boss fights and combos against one type of enemy. And there are quite a few genuinely bad bosses in DMC3. Leviathan is ass, Arkham is garbage and the Doppelganger is about as gimmicky as the Bob Barbas fight (but better in DMC3 because of superior options). It's a close call between the two bosses overall, I give DMC3 the edge.

In modern fictional representations, a succubus may or may not appear in dreams and is often depicted as a highly attractive seductress or enchantress; whereas, in the past, succubi were generally depicted as frightening and demonic

Mike M

Nick N
In modern fictional representations, a succubus may or may not appear in dreams and is often depicted as a highly attractive seductress or enchantress; whereas, in the past, succubi were generally depicted as frightening and demonic

Yeah, I read that in the wiki article too, but it's retained the characteristic that it tries to initiate intercourse with men. I just... the mechanics of... what?

DMC3 vs. Bayo is an interesting discussion. You have arguably still the best action game ever made 8 years ago vs. the current generation "evolved" title. Which one is better is really up to the player.

Accessibility is the biggest difference between the titles. One rewards, one punishes. In that respect DMC3 always feels more like an older Capcom fighter. If you drop you link, you pay a BIG price. Often the game resorts to cheap tactics, much like the difficult brawlers of old. Bayo on the other hand is much more modernized. It's more free-form, open, and just way way easier. The first time I played Bayo I beat both normal and hard in a little over 10 hours combined. I even watched the cut-scenes and didn't speed through it. The enemies are more forgiving, it's less pattern + punish, and you are given many tools for survival. The more RPG feel also emphasizes survivability as opposed to DMC3 which is basically, you aren't going to survive unless you are on the ball.

The other major difference is weapons. DMC3 weapons had a personality, almost literally via the bosses. They all felt unique, were effective, and so balanced I sometimes can't believe it. Not to mention that Nevan is still an absolute gem of action game weapon design, even if it is a cliche' idea. Bayo branched out to have more changed skin type weapons and none of them had a personality. I basically just stuck with a few combinations cause I just wasn't seeing a difference. DMC3 trumps Bayo with its weapons.

Then you have the move list and effective balance. In DMC3 you didn't have a "massive" array of moves at your disposal. Also, they were all wrapped up in style and weapon choice. So you would pick your poison, like picking an FG character, and did what you could. The balance again was impeccable. Bayo opened things up and nothing was really tied tightly to the game features. However, it also had absolutely putrid combo balance. The brilliance of DMC3 was reward for style and diversity. In Bayo you could witch time and just spam to hair finishers.

The above leads me to my next point which is combat reward. DMC3 requires chance to really succeed. Pull just inputs on RG against Vergil is no easy task. However, what is the result? Absolute destruction. Is this available in Bayo? Kind of. It's limited to difficulty scaling and not as impacting. Plus witch time is a joke with triple dodge. You might as well just map it to a button with the telegraphs. The style or combat rewards in Bayo were meaningless though. People think DMC3 combo videos only demonstrate style but they actually show how to "wreck the fuck out of the game." You think enemy step cancels with killer bee's don't obliterate? Now look at Bayo. Why should I use flash and pizazz when I can wreck with ground based attacks? For fun? Sure. But that's not good balance. All of that effort should net something beyond flash. Flash is for broken combos in Marvel titles, not for the trinity.

So Bayo is seriously depleted in difficulty balance, weapon design/implementation, move/combo balance, and finally combat reward. So it sucks. lol J/K. Well the QTE and cut-scenes do. :p In all seriousness, Bayo is also brilliant in ways. Dodge offset is just a great feature. It enables a new dynamic in combat diversity and really making players feel like they are wrecking shit. While I would rather have the actual combat engine tuned up then figure out a way to string out somewhat monotonous strings, it is still really well done.

Bayo also is amazing with its forms. It adds a huge dynamic to space control and positional combat. The panther form especially opened things up for me, including making some platforming less painful. I absolutely wish DMC had something similar but it really doesn't. Trickster is the combat implementation of advanced space control but it's not the same as the environmental type control with the Bayo forms.

Whew. Now there is more to compare. The bosses? DMC3 wins. I will not entertain opposing views here. :p Platforming? Easily Bayo by a country mile, especially with the forms. RPG system? Bayo just for the expansion of it and for using most of what made DMC3 best. The list goes on but there are just trade-offs all over.

So the checklist:
  • Accessibility
  • Weapon Design/Implementation
  • Move list/balance
  • Combat Reward
  • Environmental/Space control

To state my opinion, DMC3 is vastly the better title. Bayo "lacks" more then what you "wish for" with DMC3. I don't find myself dying for DMC4 or Bayo features when playing DMC3. Yet, I die for DMC3 when playing both those titles. DMC4 just lacks many areas I'm not talking necessarily about here that DMC3 covers and Bayo just falters a lot from a design standpoint. Simple things like less backtracking can't save a broken combo system. Better graphics can't compensate for re-skinned monotonous weaponry. Even dodge offset and forms can't make up for such poor combat reward. It is part of the trinity, a major success, but it still doesn't measure up to the game that just had a development team in the right state of mind.

DMC3 is a classic. It may be beaten through some opinions but it won't change how it is still fantastic today. There is no nostalgia here people. Go play it.

Obviously, I agree 100%. I could have used this post a few pages back :)

Bayonetta is a fun action game, but DMC3 really set the bar.
Hopefully something next-gen will surpass it...

Dahbomb

And there are plenty of examples of synergies in Bayonetta. A simple example is the Durga weapon that leaves the demon fire trap down. You can use the Whip weapon to bring enemies into that. This is a great example of synergy because you can't really force enemies into the trap without using some gymnastics but with the Whip it's easy and makes from some nice swap combos. There are great synergies between the Sword and the Ice Skates as well.

We need some Bayonetta experts here to deliver the knowledge. This is just DMC fans talking with each other. Need some different perspective here.

gunbo13

This isn't exactly true. The whole game is balanced around the longer/shorter strings plus dodge offset. Because enemies are more aggressive they will usually interrupt your string. That's where Dodge Offset comes in. Plus all the various strings are balanced by how long they are ie. longer combos have a bigger pay off at the end. You need Dodge Offset to be able to use the longer strings in actual combat without being interrupted if you want to effectively. This is a novel idea and it's why NG fails where Bayonetta succeeds. You can play safe with shorter strings YXY or go for the bigger pay off in longer strings incorporating Dodge Offset into your game. Also you add in aerial combos, gun combat, different forms, weapon swap which all ties the combat together very well.
Which is all a wash except on climax. We both know that the game is an easy chore with witch time. So what I said stands. And what you are praising is more dodge offset then countering my point about combo balance. The fundamentals of Bayo are still inferior even if you open things up with the offset. It becomes more of an AI game, which while more aggressive, doesn't hark home as being demonstrative.

It's like having a workbench and you need to build a shed. You have all the tools you need but they really kind of suck individually, rusted, etc... So you just do what you can twisting functionality and shaping things up. DMC3 is more like a set of power tools with all the bits. They can do a lot by themselves and do the job perfect together.
You didn't address enemies in DMC3 which I pointed out before. Bayonetta crushes DMC3 in enemies, it's not even a fair comparison. Considering that you fight enemies for a vast majority of the game, it leads to a ho-hum experience fighting Soul Eaters, Dullahan and Chess pieces. You can't just judge DMC3 based on a few boss fights and combos against one type of enemy. And there are quite a few genuinely bad bosses in DMC3. Leviathan is ass, Arkham is garbage and the Doppelganger is about as gimmicky as the Bob Barbas fight (but better in DMC3 because of superior options). It's a close call between the two bosses overall, I give DMC3 the edge.
I don't have the time to read the entire discussion chain but yes DMC3 enemies suck. Yet I think most of Bayo bosses suck. Where is the tension of the Vergil fight or the sheer cheapness of A&R? Bayo went more Zelda with its fights and really harks back to some of the worst fights in action game's past (thanks for the trash Mundus). The enemies though, I will give to you without a fight. But I'd rather beat up on scrubs with a damn fine combat system then use some paper shredding move list to rough up some golden aggressive babies. It's a trade-off but I'd rather "my" setup be superior, not the AI. I can make my own gameplay from that.
And there are plenty of examples of synergies in Bayonetta. A simple example is the Durga weapon that leaves the demon fire trap down. You can use the Whip weapon to bring enemies into that. This is a great example of synergy because you can't really force enemies into the trap without using some gymnastics but with the Whip it's easy and makes from some nice swap combos. There are great synergies between the Sword and the Ice Skates as well.

We need some Bayonetta experts here to deliver the knowledge. This is just DMC fans talking with each other. Need some different perspective here.
I know enough about Bayo. It just doesn't warrant such a tear-down like other titles. And weapon synergy to me isn't just about swap tactics.

Dahbomb

Yet I think most of Bayo bosses suck. Where is the tension of the Vergil fight or the sheer cheapness of A&R?
So you skipped over the Jeane boss fight? That's one of the best boss fights ever made.

gunbo13

So you skipped over the Jeane boss fight? That's one of the best boss fights ever made.
I cheaped her out. So I probably screwed up my experience. But I'll give that to you. Still, the overuse of Zelda bosses really screwed up my enjoyment of the fights.

Resilient

Just finished this last night. The game play was fun, although lacking. Not very deep at all. Switching between weapons on the fly was interesting. The visuals were very nice (on PC), and art design was quite nice. too.

But man...the story was a complete heap of shit. That
"reveal" at the end (which you could see coming a mile away)
was so bad. They tried to make the fight feel important when it was just laughable. Overall I hope Ninja Theory really don't end up making the sequel, because the combat system is really shallow and very newcomer friendly :(

gunbo13

Gunbo have you finally played DmC?
My bad but I haven't. I'm planning on grabbing the PC version but I haven't been home as of late. Nor have much time to play. Shit happens. It is on my list though and I won't hang around here too much as to avoid crapping the thread. :p

I will update once I have.

From the comments:
"But I still don't understand are you making fun of the game's ranking system and difficulty, or you're actually enjoying it"
I really hope something like ironically mastering a game exists.
They have over 600k red orbs which equates to at least 100 hours play by my math. I think they just like the game.

V_Arnold

I am in no way an expert, but I find the idea laughable that if something does not "force" you to use diverse combos, then those combos might just as well not exist. And sorry Gunbo13, but if all weapons felt the same to you, maybe then you should have stopped using wicked weaves only in Witch mode, and could have started focusing on actually using your weapons.

Weapon diversity goes to Bayonetta, by a country mile, even before factoring in the reliably usable angel weapons, imho. It does not matter if you do not do a flashy animation when acquiring a weapon. It also does not matter if you do not know the history of Durga, the whip, or the bracele. It simply does not. What matters is what you can do with it - again, for me.

I hate QTE and I hate "I have AOE slaps, huge health, and not much more" type bosses, so I will not argue about that.

In DMC3 I could write a book on space control with just the devil arms. Try playing with TS and Beo. Synergy? SM A&R & Beo have maybe the best combat synergy around. Reb for possible rush-down? Artemis for charge and keep-away? How about using RG with Beo or Cerb with the stylish SM moves? And is one weapon a fucking guitar???

Can I say the same about Bayo? No. Can you? It's just a lot to a little comparison here. One game is basically the epitome of weapon balance and one is forgettable. NG has better weapon balance then Bayo and I can pick that apart as well.

So your argument is that because you invested a lot into DMC3, and you obviously did not do even a tenth of that in Bayonetta, now that is justified by believing that Bayonetta lacked that depth that needs an investment in the first place? That is not a good position to hold when trying to determine one game's "worth" or "value", especially when compared against another one.

gunbo13

I am in no way an expert, but I find the idea laughable that if something does not "force" you to use diverse combos, then those combos might just as well not exist. And sorry Gunbo13, but if all weapons felt the same to you, maybe then you should have stopped using wicked weaves only in Witch mode, and could have started focusing on actually using your weapons.
It's called combat reward. You should be rewarded with effectiveness for risk. You shouldn't be "forced" you should be "enticed." Bayo just gives you a palette and asks you to illustrate. It's great for some, not for others.
Weapon diversity goes to Bayonetta, by a country mile, even before factoring in the reliably usable angel weapons, imho. It does not matter if you do not do a flashy animation when acquiring a weapon. It also does not matter if you do not know the history of Durga, the whip, or the bracele. It simply does not. What matters is what you can do with it - again, for me.
Why? Because of the quantity? Many weapons are borderline re-skins and nothing really changes your method of play drastically. I'm still waiting on the "magic" people see with these weapons. I used them, I get them, but I discarded them as not being impacting to my play-through. And I look for these things. Do I have to read an FAQ to get appreciation? Maybe I have play it again and again? You shouldn't have to search for depth. The developers should present it. I'm not seeing it and I haven't heard anyone with an argument to show it.
So your argument is that because you invested a lot into DMC3, and you obviously did not do even a tenth of that in Bayonetta, now that is justified by believing that Bayonetta lacked that depth that needs an investment in the first place? That is not a good position to hold when trying to determine one game's "worth" or "value", especially when compared against another one.
How much do I have to play a title I don't like a lot? I'm not going to sink 500 hours into Bayo to post on a forum. I beat it on all difficulties, didn't use items, played with everything I could find, etc... DMC3 makes weapon diversity apparent the third mission with Cerb. Shit I could even argue the shotgun in M2 sets pace. Bayo instead evolves it's weapons with moderate variations.

DMC3 is worth more per your comments simply for presenting what is great about it right away. I think M1 is brilliant just dropping you into an arena. You are limited but introduced to so many elements that are still relevant to expert players. As the missions evolve your choices and weapon variety expand. You start to see how devil and firearms mix together. Bayo just drops weapons at you FF style and you pick them up to play. Doing WS attacks and range tweaks is not the same. Part of the greatness of DMC3 weapons is how they are delivered, utilized, and balanced. And while the enemies suck, their weaknesses are well tuned. Nobody wants invulnerability but torching spiders is AOK.

I never hear really strong arguments for Bayo. Maybe it's like Dahbomb said and no experts are around to chime in. But I usually just hear that I'm wrong about the game like I have to accept that. I played it through its completion, understand it, and feel qualified to compare it. Just because I know another game 1000x better doesn't disqualify that. If someone knows better then me, I'm all for listening. Yet I don't think these hidden gems of information exist that I didn't catch on with my 15+hrs with the title or whatever.

Veelk

Banned
The problem is that your coming across as too hyperbolic, gumbo. I put in a ridiculous ammount of time in DMC3 as well and so have several other people here, and while we all praise the weapon balance I think your exaggerating it's mechanisms out of sheer familiarity with the tiny nuances of it. Meanwhile, you hyperbolically describe Bayonetta's weapony as reskins of each other, which even if I did grant that each weapon is more similar to each other than in DMC3 (and I do), to call any of them nigh identical just shows a lack of familiarity with it's intricacies. I'm not saying you don't have a good grasp of Bayonetta, I'm sure you do, but your privileging your overwhelming familiarity with DMC3 way too much here for your decent grasp of Bayonetta's combat system to be a fair judgement. Your the only one here to seems to prefer DMC3's as much as you do, and plenty of people here have as good grasp of both systems as well, so one party is seeing something the other is not. And the only way to verify this is to actually sit down and replay both games, specifically paying attention to those things....which you don't seem to want to do. And that's fine, it's just that your responses come off as annoying when someone tries to tell you about the intricacies of Bayo's weapons, and your response basically ammounts to "I didn't see any of that" while also refusing to play bayonetta to verify that its there while idolizing DMC3 to the point where I am pretty sure your about to start a religion around it.

This isn't a comment on whether your right or wrong about the combat systems, I'm just trying to clarify how your coming off and why people seem to be getting annoyed.

V_Arnold

1) In Bayonetta, Combat Reward is the visual awesomeness that is on the screen when you are using insane variations of attacks. If one cant appreciate the visual feedback part of a game - especially when it is tied to interactive parts, not just background flavors, then we might as well go back a generation or two.

2) Now, I start to feel where you are coming from, and it is fine. You should not have to search for depth, you say, yet, why is "hidden" depth something developers should avoid? I am glad that there is a masterpiece in the market that allows that as well.

The reason why Bayonetta cannot "force" you to get that depth is because Bayonetta is not a fighter. She is a - albeit very physically skilled as well - witch. Her power, her contract with demonic forces is what allows her to destroy all the foes and bosses.

Bayonetta's system works like this if we were to break it down:
-The very basic tools essential for survival (dodge, dodge offset, the ability to use angel weapons, weapon swaps, shooting bullets)
-The magical powers (wicked weaves, witch time, executions by summons, "serious mode" that enhances all attacks against big bosses)
-The weapons (the means for utilizing all the above).

DMC is - and that is my very limited understanding of it, I played all of them, but did not master any of it, so I am your perfect match in this argument :D - quite different. There, especially in the case of DMC3, the style is a rough equivalent to Bayonetta's basic tools, but everything else is really derived from the weapons. Your limitations, your options, your space control, your damage, your defenses* (styles affect this greatly, obviously. The moment I learned how to parry boss attacks...damn it, Royal Guard), all of that.

In DMC, you are "forced" to master your weapon to really be good.
In Bayonetta, you are "forced" to master your magical powers to really be good. If you do dodge offset reliably, can dodge all incoming attacks or use your parry, know when and when not to execute enemies, stuff like that, it does not matter then what "style" (i.e. weapon combinations) you use.

// If I were to really, really speculate, I would say that the difference between Bayonetta and DMC is the difference between a fighter and a witch. Or a fighter with some psionic abilities and a witch with the agility of the most trained cats :p It is as if Kamiya himself set out to show this genre from an entirely different perspective. Another different perspective would be if he set out to do a Chaos Legion-style game, but I am not sure if that will ever happen. That would be the worldview of a skilled general, who knows how to fight, but would rather use tools for that purpose :p //

Anyway, back to Bayonetta vs DMC: my point is: it is clear that you do not prefer the things Bayonetta offers to you. But that still should not matter in a clear comparison, imho. The less biased outcome is one that puts them next to each other, as they both allow drastically different experiences, even though they share a genre.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Because of the quantity? Many weapons are borderline re-skins and nothing really changes your method of play drastically. I'm still waiting on the "magic" people see with these weapons. I used them, I get them, but I discarded them as not being impacting to my play-through. And I look for these things.

Well yeah the weapons share alot of the same chains, because the game is designed around dodge offset and the scoring system around wicked weaves to reset combo point deterioration

the variety comes in the form of hold actions, dodge offset utility, special attack modifiers and even just what limb its on. Even the weapons that share a base moveset can do things that the other one can't.

I don't think I could write a book on the utility of bazookas on your arms vs bazookas on your legs, but I could probably write a few pages lol.

Or the pros and cons of Scarborough Fair, Onyx Roses and Bazillions and why they aren't an "RPG upgrade" of each other or whatever you believe

There's quite a bit more to the game than you give it credit for really. It's just different from DMC3, so you aren't going to see the depth looking at it with a DMC3 mentality

Do I have to read an FAQ to get appreciation? Maybe I have play it again and again? You shouldn't have to search for depth. The developers should present it. I'm not seeing it and I haven't heard anyone with an argument to show it.

This strikes me as odd as hell coming from a high level DMC player

There's also combinations with accessories as well, which are almost like the Styles of Bayonetta that I don't think very many players explore at all.(There seems to be a MoMK, Gaze of Despair, NSIC FINAL DESTINATION mentality that's popular here on neogaf.)

Dahbomb

Its about getting as much style points as possible in the least amount of time without getting hit. When you achieve those high SS ranks in DMC3 and you realize the work put into getting that high rank is where you feel the depth and reward.

Like one guy might finish SS rank with 120k style points and another with 200k. The guy who got 200k was more knowledge about the mechanics and knew move properties well enough along with having the proper execution to put it all together.

Bayonetta has a similar system of course. I am just providing an example of goals and depth beyond just S rank and Platinum rank.

Devil May Cry 3 is fun until the part where you fight animated chess pieces and enemies that can't be juggled. Which is over half the game.
Oops.

That's not a particularly fair judgment, but definitely glad DMC4 remedied that with enemies that could resist being juggled if they weren't in a vulnerable state, escape non-air canceled combos, but still could be knocked into the air and combo'd. Rather than DMC3's "nope, you can't juggle or even hitstun this enemy."

Enemies having super armor is fine... I mean DMD is basically you fighting enemies with super armor for a decent chunk of the game (well, they can be flinched/juggled with good timing and knowledge of how DMC3 Enemy Devil Trigger works). The problem with the chess pieces in DMC3 was that they were boring outside of that chess board boss battle.

Having that great Vergil boss battle followed by a horrible maze full of chess pieces really sullied my view of DMC3. I think I only played the game 3 times and that's still one of the things I remember most.

Does DmC even have air cancels? I haven't heard anything about it.

Having that great Vergil boss battle followed by a horrible maze full of chess pieces really sullied my view of DMC3. I think I only played the game 3 times and that's still one of the things I remember most.

I was replaying the game on DMD the other day and the chess pieces aren't in the game -that- much. But I don't understand how the designers didn't notice that these enemies were shit when they posed absolutely no threat even on the highest difficulty.

Edit: The fact that they have no difference (iirc?) when they Devil Trigger should be a good tip off too that they are horrible as well.

Devil May Cry 3 is fun until the part where you fight animated chess pieces and enemies that can't be juggled. Which is over half the game.
Oops.

That's not a particularly fair judgment, but definitely glad DMC4 remedied that with enemies that could resist being juggled if they weren't in a vulnerable state, escape non-air canceled combos, but still could be knocked into the air and combo'd. Rather than DMC3's "nope, you can't juggle or even hitstun this enemy."

JC+Killer Bee = Fuck your Chess Board Nigga.

The problem with the chess pieces in DMC3 was that they were boring outside of that chess board boss battle.

I dunno, they are legitimately a pain in the ass in BP when you have other enemy types floating around.

Dahbomb

Does DmC even have air cancels? I haven't heard anything about it.
It has enemy step and jump cancel, it just looks a bit different.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't have any way to play DMC3 now, though. I could try looking for a cheap PC version and fumbling through getting it to work with my 360 controller.

If you can find a way to make the 360 controller work on the PC version, please let me know, because I'd rather not have to buy a PS2 copy or the HD Collection to play it when I already have it on Steam.

Verelios

Oops.

Why you no main Swordmaster?

Seriously, enemies that couldn't be juggled weren't a problem when you switched between Beo/Cerb or Nev/Cerb, or even Reb/Cerb.

Yes, I really liked Cerberus.

I hear the PC version of DMC3 is bad

I don't like the launcher button in this game. That feels like an odd concession to make for no lock-on. One of the (many) things I love about Bayo compared to DMC3 is that I had all the options at my fingertips. I had air dodges, my double jumps, I had my gunslinger style moves, I had 360 motion AOE specials, two attack buttons instead of one, it was all there. I didn't have to choose and sacrifice air mobility for parrying or vice versa. It was immediately accessible. Wasn't that what this game was suppose to be? Why dedicate two buttons to dodge, a button for just launcher?

why no lock-on, goddamnit

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you own a PS2 copy, PCXS2 is also an option

People have gotten it running way better than the poorly optimized PC port.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there a glitch for the 'A Man with Guts and Honor' trophy? I've done it more than five times now and have never gotten it. Do you have to finish the mission for it to pop?

Chest pieces are great for giving beginner players an easy enemy to practice jump canceling w/killer bee. It's probably the easiest attack to start with in that regard.

As for the chess board segment, I always went after the King. Never took more than a few minutes to get passed that.

As for the weapon arguments, the diversity in both design and application of the DMC3 is second to none. Rebellion to Cerberus, Agni and Rudra to Nevan, Spiral to Artermis. They completely changed the way you played both in approach, execution, and style. A person who uses Nevan is a COMPLETELY different DMC3 player than one who sticks with let's say, Rebellion and Beowulf. I know people who are really great at DMC3, but can't use particular sets of weapons or even styles that effectively. From understanding what style is best for you, and what weapon sets suit you the best. Personally, it took me a few replays to actually start wrecking shit up with Nevan under the sword master style. Ditto with several of the firearms when I became comfortable with Gunslinger.

I appreciate the weapons in Bayonetta more than Gunbo does, but from a general view point, I personally felt - that if you became proficient with one weapon you can pretty much wreck town with them all instantly. Durga felt like a nice change of pace that really required you to take a seat back and analyze it a bit, but everything else just felt similar.

The weapons in DMC3 - not only look different, animate different, and are more or less effective against certain different enemies, but their applications and mastering them change so drastically from person to person to such a degree that even veteran DMC3 players turn into beginners when you give them a weapon / style combination that they aren't comfortable with. It really reminds me of a fighting game concept, somebody can be really good with a particular character they use, but have them choose somebody else and they can't do shit. That character concept is how I feel for the different weapons in DMC3. Each style in accordance with a weapon set feels like a different character from a fighting game.

Solune

DMC3 is gawdlyke
Where have you been sir?! Been MIA for quite a while everywhere. Great post though.
Oops.

Devil Trigger Explosion is pretty much lolz for chess pieces if you want to be lazy about it.

My bad but I haven't. I'm planning on grabbing the PC version but I haven't been home as of late. Nor have much time to play. Shit happens. It is on my list though and I won't hang around here too much as to avoid crapping the thread. :p

I will update once I have.

best Dante in avatar.

Top Bottom