• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Urgh. Not even going to bother renting again to try it now. unless I read some amazing impressions about vergils downfall, I'm done with this game.

Yeah, I was expecting them to go nuts with the enemy combinations but they kept it pretty tame. One floor spawns about 5-6 Rages but that's about as tough as it gets. Anyone who beat SOS/DMD without item whoring will be fine.

Who would've thunk it? :D

(Not like I wont also skip right to Vergil's Downfall, lol)

Actually, a well designed BP would of redeemed this game quite a bit in my eyes. I actually enjoyed the later stages on DMD quite a bit, outside of the color coded nonsense.

I was hoping that bloody palace would last me till Razors edge comes out. It took me a year to finally get to Dark Dante in DMC4 and to this day I still haven't beaten him.

Mike M

Nick N
http://youtu.be/84gyo4yls5s

Vergil's Downfall plot twist alert.
Definitely saw some slower-hitting, red tinged attacks in there. Presumably demon mode, but it didn't look like the weapon changed at all. Interesting, angel and demon mode to act as light/heavy attack modifiers?

Also just noticed that the DT gauge is entirely different. Wonder if that's purely stylistic, or if it functions differently...

Dahbomb

Definitely saw some slower-hitting, red tinged attacks in there. Presumably demon mode, but it didn't look like the weapon changed at all. Interesting, angel and demon mode to act as light/heavy attack modifiers?

Also just noticed that the DT gauge is entirely different. Wonder if that's purely stylistic, or if it functions differently...
Pretty sure the bars are segregated that way for the Spiral Swords.

Downfall looking pretty good though.

TimeInc

Holy crap is bloody palace insanely easy. Just cleared it on the first go without a problem, some of the combination of enemies in the missions are harder. Also the increase in difficulty is really weird, there can be quite a tough combination of maybe a witch with a couple of rages, then next round it's just a bunch of Stygians and maybe a couple of chainsaw dudes. The hardest level was probably where it was upside down because it basically inverts the controls.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
derp, stupid witches and invisible angel rages. Made it to lvl 50ish, now 2nd try.

Everything's on nephalim dificulty?, I poped DT for when you fight two dreamrunners to be fast, I should of saved it more for the witches. I had 10min+ still on the timer.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Excited for this. Story already looks better than the main game. The motion comic scenes are working better than I expected.

Everything's on nephalim dificulty?, I poped DT for when you fight two dreamrunners to be fast, I should of saved it more for the witches. I had 10min+ still on the timer.
I think 61-80 are SoS and 81-101 are DMD.

Dahbomb

Guys Tameem made an appearance at the PS4 meeting.

DmC2 for PS4 confirmed. Let's hope they use that crazy new Capcom engine.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
All I could think about during that Capcom demo was a DMC game running on that engine. Man, that looked insane.

DMC, DmC, whatever. I want it.

Ate it on floor 87 of BP due to complete carelessness on my first run. It goes from a test of patience to an actual challenge all of a sudden at floor 80.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Did they ever say console preorders would get the DLC 2 weeks early? I almost don't want to support them after pulling this.

No they didn't. If I'm not mistaken, those of us who pre-ordered with Gamestop don't even the voucher code yet.

Pretty lame to delay the release a week when it's apparently already up on the server.

fi1ip

I think the biggest thing we can take away from the Sony Conference is that Dante will be bald in DmC 2.

Hahaha

Ate it on floor 87 of BP due to complete carelessness on my first run. It goes from a test of patience to an actual challenge all of a sudden at floor 80.

A similar thing happened to me. It's extremely easy up until the last part. From the floor 80 and up the enemies are from DMD mode and you can die from just a couple of mistakes. And they can happen easily when you fight against those damn dogs or whatever they are, especially when they are color coded.

Some devil trigger management is needed and careful playing in general, but stunning one enemy with aquila while you deal with the other is not exactly fun for me, I just try to blast my way through them.

Also I checked out the leaderbords for bloody palace yesterday on PS3. I would say over 90% of the players ranked there are from Japan...

Dahbomb

Spiral Swords DO use up your Devil Trigger gauge. A simple SS formation depletes 4 of those bars.

It builds up way quicker than Dante's DT so that's good.

Also Vergil's "pull" abilities are all 0 frame like his Summoned Swords (well his pulls use the Summon Sword). So you can basically be attacking WHILE pulling an enemy or breaking their shields. It's all very quick and fluid when it comes to Vergil.

His Angel/Demon forms change his Yamato moveset around. Like Triangle in Angel form is Rapid Slash. Demon attacks are heavier slashes with Yamato that can break shields.

Hahaha

A similar thing happened to me. It's extremely easy up until the last part. From the floor 80 and up the enemies are from DMD mode and you can die from just a couple of mistakes. And they can happen easily when you fight against those damn dogs or whatever they are, especially when they are color coded.

Some devil trigger management is needed and careful playing in general, but stunning one enemy with aquila while you deal with the other is not exactly fun for me, I just try to blast my way through them.

Also I checked out the leaderbords for bloody palace yesterday on PS3. I would say over 90% of the players ranked there are from Japan...

I made it to 100, but on the Mundus fight, the game just randomly spazzed out and glitched me out under his overhead strike, not only taking the full brunt of the attack, but knocking me off the building, killing me.

I've been too miffed at that to try again yet.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
6 missions for Vergil's Downfall, about what I expected. Don't see why they can't patch him in to Bloody Palace down the line.

Dahbomb

Massive spoilers for Vergil DLC. Do not highlight unless you have balls of steel:
*There are no color coated enemies in the DLC.

*You fight Vergil's Doppelganger form as a boss in the 5th mission of the game. There are 6 missions in total with the 5th mission being just a boss fight. The standard missions are around half an hour each so we are looking at 2-3 hours worth of game time.

*There are also no Dreamrunner/Drek's in the DLC and I didn't see any Butcher although this can change on higher difficulties. There are enemies that are better dispatched by using your different forms but you don't NEED to change stances for anything even the Witches where you can break her shield with Summoned Swords.

*The Wisps are just regular enemies, they can come in pairs or along with other enemies. You use your Summoned Swords to take them out of their ethereal forms. Not very hard enemies but fun and well designed.

*The Demon/Angel forms of Vergil change the moveset of Yamato. This means that Yamato has the most moves in the game and while you only get one weapon it has enough tools to keep you occupied. Stuff like Starfall, Roundtrip, Rapid Slash, Judgment Cut, Helm Breaker, various forms of aerial combos and ground combos are intact.

*Summoned Swords and all moves related to it are 0 frame just like previous DMC games so they can be abused. What's also interesting is that the Demon Pull variant of Vergil is also 0 frame which means you can pull enemies without combat interruption.

*Vergil does not actually change his physical appearance when changing stances. That Super Saiyan Vergil you guys saw in the pic appears to be like his ultimate form and he gets it when he retrieves his amulet after beating the Vergil Doppelganger. You unlock the Doppelganger after you beat the Vergil boss fight.

*Doppelganger is very very interesting. The Doppelganger has it's own form stances mapped to D-pad plus it had a Delay input. I don't know if anyone tried plugging in a 2nd controller but it can be possible. Controlling and optimizing Doppelganger style has a high skill ceiling because it's essentially like controlling 2 Vergil's each with it's own swaps. Expect some swag combos based around this.

*Spiral Swords and Doppelganger both deplete the meter so you have to choose which one to use in certain situations. The bar builds faster than Dante's. Spiral Swords come with all the usual moves from previous DMC games which includes Storm and Blistering Swords. I think for max swag combos people will be using Super Vergil costume if it's available in the DLC.

*The story essentially revolves around Vergil coming to grips with the fact that he was "betrayed" by Dante and Kat while also trying to find his lost amulet. The entire story takes place after DmC so this is not a parallel/prequel story, it's essentially an epilogue. He is essentially chasing ghosts of these characters and it ends with him "killing" them which usually leads to him acquiring a new power. He also chases around Eva and his own Doppelganger form. Seems pretty good in terms of building Vergil's character, this is the Vergil character we deserved. The ending is Vergil achieving his Super Saiyan form and ends with him saying "I am free father" in front of the family portrait (with Sparda's face cracked out as always). You then see Vergil being able to control an army of demons which essentially opens up sequel possibility of HIS FUCKING RETURN as a DEMON KING or some shit.

*The DLC has less cutscene interruptions than the main game and doesn't have the "They Live" style quotes on the wall stuff. All the environments are very hellish and overall the DLC felt more like a DMC game than the main game. You get both type of cutscenes in the DLC but the brunt of the story is told through the animated graphic novel presentation which looks quite good IMO and presents the story better.

*Dante and Kat are made out to be a total assholes in Vergil's perspective. Vergil is very much jealous of Kat preferring Dante especially that whole "You are not half the man Dante is!" followed by Vergil stabbing Kat. Of course it goes without saying this is all happening in some alternate dimension + Vergil's own head so it has no bearing on the real world.

*There are no secret missions in the DLC, so keys are replaced with Health Cross fragments or in some cases an entire 4 part cross.

Endo Punk

Heavenly Sword 2, I hope.

Sony are not going to let NT anywhere near HS after the BS they pulled. They hardly worked on that game and went over budget then Sony Cambridge had to help a lot with the tech/engine which NT wanted to take with them for multiplat development lol. About the only people who will work with them is Japanese devs because they are not familiar with their history, if sales don't put Capcom off then DMC2 by NT is a go-go. Critics love(and grossly overrate) them and it seems that will work in their favour to get more Japanese franchises. NT have tasted blood, there is no way in hell they will go back to making original games.

Supposedly some people in the UK have been able to redeem their Vergil codes.

Ooh. I'm in the UK and I've got a code ready to be redeemed. Might as well give it a shot now then.

Edit - Hells yeah, it worked! Downloading right now; it's 1888MB on the PS3. Thanks for the heads up LTWheels.

ezekial45

Banned
Sony are not going to let NT anywhere near HS after the BS they pulled. They hardly worked on that game and went over budget then Sony Cambridge had to help a lot with the tech/engine which NT wanted to take with them for multiplat development lol. About the only people who will work with them is Japanese devs because they are not familiar with their history, if sales don't put Capcom off then DMC2 by NT is a go-go. Critics love(and grossly overrate) them and it seems that will work in their favour to get more Japanese franchises. NT have tasted blood, there is no way in hell they will go back to making original games.
Show me proof this happened.

Top Bottom