• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

DihcarEM

Finished it. Good game, imo it's not better then 1,3 or 4 but it is still a good game. I hate all the previous NT games. The art is great, love the free camera which made Dmc4 feel older then it was to me, none the less it was Bayonetta that did it first. It seems that NT did a decent job trie'ing to copy as much of the good things of the previous DMC's and Bayonetta in terms of gameplay with good results.
I wouldn't mind a DmC2 but not at the cost of DMC5, which is still my preferred series.
Now to start son of sparda.

So for me it's:

+Art
+free camera
+Gameplay is good.
+Thankfully the immature cursing is not as extensive as i thought it would be.

-30fps, deciding to use the disgusting unreal3 engine was a big mistake.
-Story is not all that it's cracked up to be, especially how characters change from one instant to another. Then again i hated the story of Heavenly S and Enslaved.

Big ol' spoilers (really, not a "FUCK YOU" in there, it's actually plot spoilers) but I'm wondering who has all seen video of Mission 15:

The scene where Vergil assassinates lilith by first shooting her in the stomach (she's pregnant) and then in the head. Really? That's Shakespearean? That's Vergil? The whole scene turns into a shoot out. A SHOOT OUT. In a DMC game. I don't even know anymore.

Vergil is a
huge wuss in this game and it just gets worse further along. While in the original Vergil was more powerful then Dante in the beginning, he never lost being a serious threat to Dante. In this version of DmC Dante is confirmed to be the more powerful of the two by a long shot.

Meicyn

Gold Member
This game's marketing had much to do with that expectation, and it reminds me a lot of Dragon Age: Origins and the marketing used for that game. Bioware made every attempt to make that game look edgy with Marilyn Manson's "This Is the New Shit" blaring in the background. It doesn't surprise me at all that the marketing isn't representative of the final product. Pretty much applies to the majority of the media meant for sale.

Scrabble

Finished it. Good game, imo it's not better then 1,3 or 4 but it is still a good game. I hate all the previous NT games. The art is great, love the free camera which made Dmc4 feel older then it was to me, none the less it was Bayonetta that did it first. It seems that NT did a decent job trie'ing to copy as much of the good things of the previous DMC's and Bayonetta in terms of gameplay with good results.
I wouldn't mind a DmC2 but not at the cost of DMC5, which is still my preferred series.
Now to start son of sparda.

So for me it's:

+Art
+free camera
+Unlockables(capcom really dropped the bomb with that one in DMC4, it pisses me off when games have no extra content like Enslaved.)
+Gameplay is good.

-30fps, deciding to use the disgusting unreal3 engine was a big mistake.
-Story is not all that it's cracked up to be, especially how characters change from one instant to another. Then again i hated the story of Heavenly S and Enslaved.

I'm sure the story and characters are at least better than that trash we got in previous Devil May Cry games.

DihcarEM

I'm sure the story and characters are at least better than that trash we got in previous Devil May Cry games.

Not to me, it was fun and lighthearted. There is no need for a serious Dmc, that was never the series's reason for being and it doesn't even work.
And no, some characters are much worse then they were before most notably Vergil.

Big ol' spoilers (really, not a "FUCK YOU" in there, it's actually plot spoilers) but I'm wondering who has all seen video of Mission 15:

The scene where Vergil assassinates lilith by first shooting her in the stomach (she's pregnant) and then in the head. Really? That's Shakespearean? That's Vergil? The whole scene turns into a shoot out. A SHOOT OUT. In a DMC game. I don't even know anymore.

I've seen some people tweeting a video of it, so if you want to avoid spoilers I would start really avoiding the internet (if it wasn't painfully obvious already)

Just reposting this for the next page - anyone who's gotten there yet ? or already watched it? Aside from
the obvious cutscene, the following platforming gameplay segment where you slo motion save vergil's car from destruction was ridiculous

Scrabble

Not to me, it was fun and lighthearted. There is no need for a serious Dmc, that was never the series's reason for being and it doesn't even work.
And no, some characters are much worse then they were before most notably Vergil.

Fun and lighthearted? It was fucking awful garbage. Dante was a waling cliche and parody and I wanted to punch everyone in the mouth anytime they spoke. Also those games had way too many cutscenes that dragged on forever. It took me like 20 minutes before I even got to move in DMC4.

mandas

Neo Member
Fun and lighthearted? It was fucking awful garbage. Dante was a waling cliche and parody and I wanted to punch everyone in the mouth anytime they spoke. Also those games had way too many cutscenes that dragged on forever. It took me like 20 minutes before I even got to move in DMC4.

Cliche and parody has been thrown out about this Dante also. To each his own.

DihcarEM

You mean the skippable cutscenes? No, i find the cursing=cool aspect of DmC much more offensive then any other Dmc game.
Cliche and parody has been thrown out about this Dante also. To each his own.
Yep, this DmC suffers from this too. It is more obvious because it tries to take itself too seriously.

Curufinwe

Dante's characterization DMC3 is done through contrast with Lady and Vergil, and it's actually pretty good now that I've gone back and played it as a cynical adult. People just remember the one-liners and motorcycle nunchucks and missile riding, and there's been a bit of revisionist history about the quality of storytelling in DMC, but DMC3 did legitimately well outside of some of the voice acting, imo.

This is all true, and I would add that the ending couldn't have been any better.

Scrabble

You mean the skippable cutscenes? No, i find the cursing=cool aspect of DmC much more offensive then any other Dmc game.

Yep, this DmC suffers from this too. It is more obvious because it tries to take itself too seriously.

I never skip cutscenes because I hate skipping over chunks of a story, so saying I could just skip them isn't a very good excuse especially considering i'm sure you could probably skip the cutscenes in the new Devil May Cry right? Also if cursing is offensive to you then maybe you should stay away from an M rated game.

V_Arnold

My friend contacted me that he got DmC on 360. You guys know where I will be spending my time today...

Welcome to the club! :D

I never skip cutscenes because I hate skipping over chunks of a story, so saying I could just skip them isn't a very good excuse especially considering i'm sure you could probably skip the cutscenes in the new Devil May Cry right? Also if cursing is offensive to you then maybe you should stay away from an M rated game.

Not to mention that cursing is moderate in the final game, compared to what one would have extrapolated out of that two gifs available :p
Cutscenes are partially skippable. They are used to mask loading times sometimes between intenese background changes, and there you cant skip it until they are almost over. The most visible example of this is Mission 2, where you go to a flashback within a flashback within a scene - and that requires some extensive loading.

Having watched that stream earlier, this post is applicable to DmC as well, except the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio seems even worse.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I agree pretty much with what DihcarEM said. The use of UE3 isn't too bad in certain levels but god the texture pop ups in cutscenes is horrible and towards the end everything looked poor with low textures.. they should of tried a different engine. The swearing doesn't happen to much or the silly one liners. I felt that the first half of the game seemed alot more polished and the second half was rushed for completion. Few boss battles I enjoyed due to the presentation and design while a few just pissed me off.

Took me probably 8 hours to complete with a few deaths on normal. I'm going through it again with the upgrades and different costumes. I never played DMC 3 or 4 but in terms of story I don't think it was as good compared to DMC1 and everyone seems to say 3 was the best. DMC2 I played at a friends at launch but tbh I can't remember sod all regarding the story.

Judging from what I've played I would say the reviews will be coming in with 7-8's and a few 9's.

DihcarEM

I also don't skip the first time and i never said that you can't skip in DmC, just stating that the option was there in DMC4 since you hated the story so much.
No, i just find it ridiculous that one would think cursing like 12-year old kid equals maturity.
Having watched that stream earlier, this post is applicable to DmC as well, except the cutscene-to-gameplay ratio seems even worse.
Yeah, it seemed like there were much more cutscenes.
Guys....

I have started up DmC...

I am fucking HYPED let's GO!!!

Have fun, it's a good game.

Dave1988

Guys....

I have started up DmC...

I am fucking HYPED let's GO!!!

Eagerly awaiting your impressions.

I've seen some people tweeting a video of it, so if you want to avoid spoilers I would start really avoiding the internet (if it wasn't painfully obvious already)

The whole scene is horribly done with low poly textures on anything that's not Donte/Vorgil/Kat/Lilith but what cracks me the most in it that trained SWAT members are unable to hit targets who are standing in one place the whole goddamn time or Kat who's limping towards them with no cover in sight. That is until Donte finally pick kat up and they finally manage to hit him a few times. Great cutscene direction there, Tam Tam.

Scrabble

I also don't skip the first time and i never said that you can't skip in DmC, just stating that the option was there in DMC4 since you hated the story so much.
No, i just find it ridiculous that one would think cursing like 12-year old kid equals maturity.

Yeah, it seemed like there were much more cutscenes.

Have fun, it's a good game.

Don't play dumb, I never equated an M rating to maturity in the sense your talking about. Also I know quite a few adults who curse, in fact everyone I've ever known curses, it's not something exclusive to 12 years olds.

Ein Bear

Any guys playing the PS3 version have any impressions on the performance? I need my DualShock for DMC, but the use of UE3 has me leaning towards 360.

Dahbomb

1st mission beat.

Spoilers:
Started on Nephalem obviously. Demon Dodge and other various skills aren't available yet so I couldn't test if it was still broke. Style meter still doesn't go down grades so that's a big bummer. I bought Stinger first like a TRUE DMC OG.

First mission was pretty good. Straightforward and entertaining. Boss fight was fun and you can parry that sword, in fact that's how you are supposed to fight him. There are quite a few hidden stuff just within the first level including at least one secret mission (it's the one where you have to kill opponents in the air). I honestly liked DmC's first missions more than the other DMC game's first missions except for maybe DMC1's. Too bad there is no real bad ass cutscene in the beginning except for the naked Dante scene.

Cutscene volume is pretty high in the first mission and you are constantly interrupted by cutscenes. I hope this is only an initial missions problem because it is getting quite annoying. Visuals are nice overall and I liked the track that played in the beginning but even by now the battle music is getting tiresome. I like the ambient stuff though.

First mission rank = S rank. Completion time almost 40 minutes.

In regards to the final rank, I feel that while it is VERY easy to get SSS to truly get the top points you can't just farm all day for points because the multiplier from the time completed is a lot. Essentially the best way to play the game is to get your SSS REAL fast in combat and take the enemies out as fast as possible without getting hit. Thank god NT/Capcom had the decency to not include completion criteria for successive walkthroughs, once you have completed a mission fully you don't have to go hunting for keys and lost souls again. So essentially the ranking boils down to 3 things: Style points, not getting hit and time completed. I am OK with this but I would still like weighted averages over "get 10 million points and you will always get SSS rank" type format.

Whompa

And you don't feel the same way if not worse about this "reimagining" of Dante with all the excessive "badattitude?" Are you kidding me?

V_Arnold

Dahbomb, the best is yet to come :D Just look at dat castle, done right :p

Btw, there is a conversation between Vergil and Dante that is so funny and "feelgood" - yet, I can see many people who will go batshit insane upon hearing it. You will all know what I am talking about once you reach it :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, it's a shame when snide remarks and forced memes get overshadowed by legit game impressions.

Makes all that whining about the OP on the first few pages all the more hilarious.

I've gotta wait until the 25th. I'm still stuck in salt mode, I can't help it

z6SQH.jpg

bigmac996

Any guys playing the PS3 version have any impressions on the performance? I need my DualShock for DMC, but the use of UE3 has me leaning towards 360.

It runs really well actually. I mean, the fps isn't godly, but I doubt you'll get much of a bump on the 360.

The cutscenes however are a different story. Really low fps and the characters have flickering, streaking shadows all over themselves. I don't know if its a glitch or something, or if the 360 version is better.

Overall, after writing this out, I kinda regret not going for the 360 version haha. Maybe go with that in my opinion. I feel your dual shock ties though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It runs really well actually. I mean, the fps isn't godly, but I doubt you'll get much of a bump on the 360.

The cutscenes however are a different story. Really low fps and the characters have flickering, streaking shadows all over themselves. I don't know if its a glitch or something, or if the 360 version is better.

Overall, after writing this out, I kinda regret not going for the 360 version haha. Maybe go with that in my opinion. I feel your dual shock ties though.

haha, I was like, "sounds like shit"

and then you came to your own realization of that!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm really glad that only horribly low framerate, long loads, and tearing bother me. I'm not being sarcastic. Stuff like the shadows and all that, if I cared, would drive me insane. I just do my best to stay in the dark about it.

S1kkZ

man, first level on "son of sparda" is no joke for a non dmc expert player like me.
much more enemies and harder enemy types (that are introduced much later on normal/nephilim).

ilold

Banned
Vergil is a
huge wuss in this game and it just gets worse further along. While in the original Vergil was more powerful then Dante in the beginning, he never lost being a serious threat to Dante. In this version of DmC Dante is confirmed to be the more powerful of the two by a long shot.

This honestly
sets up a good sequel with the exact same story as DMC3

Ein Bear

Thanks for the advice, think I'll go with the 360 version then :)

Dahbomb

Mission#2 impressions and some of Mission#3:

Alright this was a cool mission too, lots of stuff in it. Story opens a bit more with Dante's past. The whole sequence takes place in Dante/Vergil's childhood mansion and you experience quite a lot of content through dimensions inside dimensions. I finally got the Arbiter + Osiris combo and the pulls so the combat has actually opened up some now like the demo.

There's a secret mission in the 2nd mission where you have to kill all enemies within the time limit. Pretty straightforward, if you have demon dodge unlocked this becomes much easier to beat.

First time seeing the full portrait of Eva, she is hot as fuck. Also first time seeing Vergil's amulet, it's blue unlike Dante's which is red.

The Feed ability is unlocked on the Osiris by default as are a couple of other moves. Got the Demon Dodge and yes it's still OP. First 2 missions end and 3rd mission starts with the demo sequence which everyone should've played by now. There are some changes from the demo which includes those sub boss tank enemies that appear in the church.

So far I am enjoying the game a lot in the first 3 missions. I have enjoyed it almost more than the first 3 missions of the previous games. There's a lot of stuff in it. If the game retains this level of quality of the first few missions throughout the game then I can believe all the 9/10s it has been getting. It's well paced within this section as you get new stuff.

So yeah after playing for 2 hours and some change on the live stream yesterday. I can walk away saying I'm really enjoying it. PS3 version runs fairly well but the damn U3 engine shines in cutscenes with textures loading like normal. Also tend to notice more framerate issues inside cut scenes then in actually game play. Does it feel like Devil May Cry? To me... Yes and no.Gameplay wise and the nods, and hints, and other various ways of making it Devil May Cry shine through. When it comes to the feel of the story, presentation, and style, I come off feeling totally different then Devil May Cry.It it a bad thing? For me, not personally. I am finding myself rather enjoying the new style. It's different. I don't mind that change. Love the visual morphing of environments, really stands out to me and might be the thing I truly remember after completing the game. Then again I enjoy weird more obscure environments like in Alice Madness Returns, so that
twisted carnival
at the start was right up my alley.

Concerning the way the game plays. I feel it's solid but yet I feel overwhelmed sometimes with the trigger attacks, plus the pull and push mechanics, and just everything you can do. On one hand I'm pulling of moves, pulling enemies in, jumping, etc like a BOSS!!!... then sometimes I stumble around like a moron with the controller in his hand. I'm sure this will disappear as I get used to the mechanics. As far as no lock on, doesn't bother me when it comes to fighting persay, but sometimes with as fast as the action can be, I'm swinging or firing my guns towards the camera and unless I take the time to move the camera around, I'm attacking something I can't see. All aside. Really enjoying the game. I don't know how I rank it yet. Time will tell. Also cause of the OP title and all. Made a "Coming Soon DmC Review/Let's Play Video"... "Yeah F#$K YOUUUUUUUUUUU"

Dahbomb

Man the boss demo they had us play really gives you a bad impression of the game overall.

IMO they should've made Mission#1 and Mission#2 the demo parts but with some content cut out. The first boss was more fun than Poison plus you wouldn't have to see that awful "FUCK YOU" sequence because so far in the 3 missions there hasn't been that barrage of foul language yet (it's here and there but nothing too overbearing). You also get a better idea of the story through the first 2 missions and it's paced better where as in the demo you basically get a bunch of sliced together cutscenes, sort of like a "previously on DmC". The level design is also better in the 2nd level especially, first one is very straightforward though.

Top Bottom