• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Textures definitely pop in during cutscenes, it's vintage UE3.

Also correction on the previous missions, it was actually start of Mission#4 when you start the demo. Mission#3 ends is where the demo begins (Over Watch).

LTWheels

Man, waiting for the PC version is starting to get difficult.

I also think the Vergil DLC will be interesting. If its anything like the DLC for Enslaved, you can expect it to be fully featured and play differently from the main game. Rather than being a cheap cashing like would would expect with DLC from other developers.

S1kkZ

Textures definitely pop in during cutscenes, it's vintage UE3.

Also correction on the previous missions, it was actually start of Mission#4 when you start the demo. Mission#3 ends is where the demo begins (Over Watch).

only happend to me in 2 or 3 cutscenes (360, installed). but when it happens, oh boy...
in one cutscene, the textures for one big object didnt load at all.

Dahbomb

One thing for sure is that the experience of going through the levels is way different from previous games.

In DMC of the old you always felt isolated. In DmC, you almost always have someone with you guiding you plus the whole shifting environments, demons putting up signs and Dante talking to him/other stuff means that you never really feel isolated.

I don't like or hate this type of experience but I would point out that it does feel different going through the levels. A lot of platforming sequences and so far no puzzle sequences in the game.

V_Arnold

I am glad that you are enjoying the game so far : )

Finished the game as well on Nephilim, well...I will just say that those who judge the ending ignore how Endings are not single entities up for judgement, but parts of a story.
The ending of this one is a solid, yet not shocking conclusion of everything that has been built up by the previous chapters. I liked it, it also gave us a chance to fight Vergil in a slick and great boss battle - and that is about it. Vergil did not go out of character for this, in fact it was foreshadowed at least 3-4 times during the missions, so... no worries.

The game is awesome, and I cant believe that the real fun is just about to begin (higher difficulties.) Yaay!

Jawmuncher

Random though (thats probably been brought up already) but this reboot of DMC reminds of Breath of Fire dragon quarter.......and Dino Crisis 3.

Not on a quality level but that capcom loves just jumping a series from one thing to another.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i have come to the realization that after finishing it, i am not afraid to say

I WANT A DMC2. BADLY.

ofc id want dmc5 more but if that cant happen ill be very happy with DMC2!

I am glad that you are enjoying the game so far : )

Finished the game as well on Nephilim, well...I will just say that those who judge the ending ignore how Endings are not single entities up for judgement, but parts of a story.
The ending of this one is a solid, yet not shocking conclusion of everything that has been built up by the previous chapters. I liked it, it also gave us a chance to fight Vergil in a slick and great boss battle - and that is about it. Vergil did not go out of character for this, in fact it was foreshadowed at least 3-4 times during the missions, so... no worries.

The game is awesome, and I cant believe that the real fun is just about to begin (higher difficulties.) Yaay!

what do you unlock for nephilim? i went from demon hunter to SoS haha

Dahbomb

Random though (thats probably been brought up already) but this reboot of DMC reminds of Breath of Fire dragon quarter.......and Dino Crisis 3.

Not on a quality level but that capcom loves just jumping a series from one thing to another.
DmC is WAY better than DC3. I know you meant that not on a quality level but that's just giving people the wrong idea here.

Alright I just beat Mission#5 and Mission#6. Mission#6 is basically just the boss fight from the demo and since I already knew how to beat her it went by fast. Impressions coming soon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Generally speaking, how fast are the upgrade points gained? I'm hoping you don't have to spend too much time with a limited moveset.

V_Arnold

what do you unlock for nephilim? i went from demon hunter to SoS haha

White-haired Dante.
Please do not tell me that
DMC 3 Dante
is unlock for Demon Hunter. Please...

Generally speaking, how fast are the upgrade points gained? I'm hoping you don't have to spend too much time with a limited moveset.

By the end of a single playthrough (with S ranks most likely, with a few A-s, one or two B-s and a few SS-s lying around), I got almost all the upgrades for 5-6 weapons - to have all weapons on full upgrade, you either need another few chapters completed on another difficulty, or simply keep on playing and perfecting your score. But the majority of upgrades are not needed to feel free, but are just damage gains/range upgrades.

Jawmuncher

DmC is WAY better than DC3. I know you meant that not on a quality level but that's just giving people the wrong idea here.

Alright I just beat Mission#5 and Mission#6. Mission#6 is basically just the boss fight from the demo and since I already knew how to beat her it went by fast. Impressions coming soon.

Anything is better than DC3

V_Arnold

Anything is better than DC3

The idea that somehow we need to "help" DmC by saying that it is better than any mediocre/shit experience is starting to feel really, really bad to me. DmC is a legit good game, no need to compare it to bad games in any way, shape or form.

Dahbomb

About half of the upgrades are just damage boosts. Like pretty much every special move has a LVL2 that increases its damage. I have been just buying singular moves (no damage upgrades) and by Mission#7 I have ALL of Rebellion/E&I moves and most of the Arbiter/Osiris.

Upgrade points are acquired at regular intervals in the game usually at the end of a mission and sometimes during missions. It shouldn't take long at all to get all the moves and upgrades, I would imagine it would take longer to find all the hidden stuff in the game because there is quite a lot... more so than previous DMC games because not only do you have to find Secret missions/doors but their keys, Lost Souls and other various items in the game. Thankfully you don't have to hunt for red orbs or do these ever again as once you do them they are permanently added to your Completion bonus.

Mission#5 and Mission#6 Impressions (Spoilers):

Mission#5 takes place in the factory and a lot of the environments are just very... industrial. Nothing too remarkable in this level but this is where you start fighting those multi-colored enemies. Easily the weakest of the missions so far. There are also a lot of corridor type areas and fairly linear platforming. A lot of these areas you guys have probably not seen before except for in brief scenes. I found a secret mission in this mission where you have to kill enemies in these specific zones. Very easy thanks to the demon pull, you just stand in the green ring and start pulling enemies in, just make sure you don't hit them with knock back attacks too much.

The boss fight is not different from the demo. You see the Mundus/Lilith scene after this and acquire the Eryx gauntlet. I tried the on the fly weapon switch mechanic and I am happy to say it's crispy. So far I have seen a shit ton of cutscenes and most have been just moving the story along or building either Dante or Kat's character (or their relationship). Basically stuff that I will for SURE be skipping on successive walkthroughs. The cutscenes so far aren't bad but they are just boring as hell. Funny enough... the FUCK YOU sequence was the most entertaining cutscene thus far aside from naked Dante and wig Dante.

KePoW

Banned
Man I really want the PC version now, lol. I've been a big DMC fan from the launch of the first one, but I'm also not a picky gamer... I like all genres (from turn-based strategy to RPG to FPS to action games) and don't really get all uptight about things changing.

I mostly care about quality and polish, not really strict gameplay designs.

Found this pretty funny.

iHO7dXwyNu2DZ.jpg

Youtube

Jawmuncher

The idea that somehow we need to "help" DmC by saying that it is better than any mediocre/shit experience is starting to feel really, really bad to me. DmC is a legit good game, no need to compare it to bad games in any way, shape or form.

No it wasn't helping I was just saying.
Looking back capcom seems to have a fancy for changing things up on sequels/reboots of games no one was expecting.

Who expected DMC reboot
Breath of Fire radical change
Or DC3s space Dino's

Meant my comment more as Capcom seems to be one of a few devs risking to try new things. For good or bad.

V_Arnold

No it wasn't helping I was just saying.
Looking back capcom seems to have a fancy for changing things up on sequels/reboots of games no one was expecting.

Who expected DMC reboot
Breath of Fire radical change
Or DC3s space Dino's

Meant my comment more as Capcom seems to be one of a few devs risking to try new things. For good or bad.

Yeah, you are right about that. Add Street Fighter III to that list as it dared to remove the majority of the known characters (and I am still salty about SFIV being all about those SFII-villains and semivillains. Bah. To hell with Blanka, Honda, Bison, Sagat, Balrog and all that jazz :p)

Jawmuncher

Yeah, you are right about that. Add Street Fighter III to that list as it dared to remove the majority of the known characters (and I am still salty about SFIV being all about those SFII-villains and semivillains. Bah. To hell with Blanka, Honda, Bison, Saga, Balrog and all that jazz :p)

Can't believe I forgot SFIII.
That was one of their bigger change ups.

About the preorder on PSN, why does it say the file size is a couple of MB? Also can you preload the US version? Sorry if this was answered a lot before.

Midou

It's good to see impressions from people who have actually played it are pretty positive. I stayed cautiously pessimistic but figured it very well could be good as well. I read some spoilers and nothing is too shocking, but if I played a DMC game for the story I would sooner quit gaming.

Might be an odd question, but can you turn off the Combo thing in the top right? Seems a bit easy to cheese and I'd rather just wing it and see how I did at the end.

Guys playing this game be honest. Did this game need to be rebooted or was it sort of the same but different? If this game had none of the story, but that gameplay changes and had DMC5 as the title would you still enjoy it

KePoW

Banned
I'm not really sure what this sentence means. All three of those are the same thing.

No they're not. Gameplay mechanics has nothing to do with quality/polish.

For example, I think everyone can agree that the God of War series is a polished and quality product. (by "quality" I'm talking about bugginess, etc... I don't mean what someone personally thinks about the gameplay)

But the gameplay mechanics of GoW is not in the same league/design as DMC series. Nor is it intended to be.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
White-haired Dante.
Please do not tell me that
DMC 3 Dante
is unlock for Demon Hunter. Please...

By the end of a single playthrough (with S ranks most likely, with a few A-s, one or two B-s and a few SS-s lying around), I got almost all the upgrades for 5-6 weapons - to have all weapons on full upgrade, you either need another few chapters completed on another difficulty, or simply keep on playing and perfecting your score. But the majority of upgrades are not needed to feel free, but are just damage gains/range upgrades.

thats weird, i got white haired dante for demon hunter too, so i expected something else, strange.

Impressions seem surprisingly positive considering the games reputation pre-release.
Is this a good game to start with for someone who has never played a DMC game before?

V_Arnold

Definitely play DmC first, then DMC3, then if you find yourself being more and more of a fan, continue with DMC1 and finally, DMC4.
There is no DMC2.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd play the old games first unless you really want to play something shiny and new

I think the transition from the old game's controls and physics to DmC's would be alot less jarring than the other way around.

Based on the demo anyways

Dahbomb

Impressions seem surprisingly positive considering the games reputation pre-release.
Is this a good game to start with for someone who has never played a DMC game before?
Yeah it's a good game to start. Storywise though you can easily play this first, then DMC3, then DMC1 and finally DMC4. Style wise it's very different from the old games so it's going to feel different and you may end up liking DmC more because of it. Controls, story and level design are easier to get into with DmC than the previous games so the old games are going to feel jarring after playing this especially because of the whole lock on mechanic.

Best way to play DMC is how your forefathers have played before you... that is in order. So you can feel the ups and downs, the disappointments and the redemption.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If you're interested in the series as a whole, get the HD collection and start with DMC1. Otherwise, you're the target market.

The LAST thing I would recommend is going from DMC3 > DMC1. Terrible idea.

Ahasverus

The only dmc that I've played beyond first stage (always got my ass kicked especially dmc3 lol I hate you so much eagle-things-witches) was Dmc 4 (got til dante but got bored) but I've always liked the franchise, so this dmc for dummies is made for me. Will pick it up later today and can't fucking wait.

Yep I'm the target audience.

The only dmc that I've played beyond first stage (always got my ass kicked especially dmc3 lol I hate you so much eagle-things-witches) was Dmc 4 (got til dante but got bored) but I've always liked the franchise, so this dmc for dummies is made for me. Will pick it up later today and can't fucking wait.

Yep I'm the target audience.

image.php

DihcarEM

Don't play dumb, I never equated an M rating to maturity in the sense your talking about. Also I know quite a few adults who curse, in fact everyone I've ever known curses, it's not something exclusive to 12 years olds.
Good for you, that doesn't mean that only adults curse. And to me Dante and the demons sound like how some little kids try to act tough and curse a lot.

This honestly
sets up a good sequel with the exact same story as DMC3

The same thought crossed my mind. If a sequel happens
, i do hope they won't make it as simplistic black(Vergil) and white(Dante and Kat) as it is in this game. And hopefully Vergil's dlc will make him more like the badass he was in the original series then the wuss he is now.

V_Arnold

The same thought crossed my mind. If a sequel happens
, i do hope they won't make it as simplistic black(Vergil) and white(Dante and Kat) as it is in this game. And hopefully Vergil's dlc will make him more like the badass he was in the original series then the wuss he is now.

I did not think that it was black/white at all. Vergil is not a bad guy. He was not crazy, he was not evil, his plans just happened to coincide with the "save humanity" theme until necessary. Then he wanted to take the next step, and that is that. It is the standard anime theme (surprisingly, as it is NT not Capcom :p) where one side wants humans to govern themselves, even if that makes making mistakes, the other side wants to eliminate war under some kind of tyranny. That does not make Vergil insane. We shall see more about his journey in the DLC, so let us wait..

DihcarEM

I did not think that it was black/white at all. Vergil is not a bad guy. He was not crazy, he was not evil, his plans just happened to coincide with the "save humanity" theme until necessary. Then he wanted to take the next step, and that is that. It is the standard anime theme (surprisingly, as it is NT not Capcom :p) where one side wants humans to govern themselves, even if that makes making mistakes, the other side wants to eliminate war under some kind of tyranny. That does not make Vergil insane. We shall see more about his journey in the DLC, so let us wait..

About Vergil:
I agree, i was actually more on his side then Dante and Kat's.

Dahbomb

Missions #7, #8,#9 and #10 Impressions with some of Mission#11

Is it me or are the missions getting shorter now? Mission#7 had some nice visual stuff and introduced a new enemy, a pair of rats. They are more aggressive than anything you have fought thus far but they can be stunned/blinded by the guns then juggled around like normal. The other one gets pissed off if you kill one of them. There's another secret mission here. I played around with the Eryx, pretty boring weapon just like the Arbiter but it does have "perfect" release mechanics for its LVL2 charges. You also finally meet a new character named Phineas and he asks you to fetch his eye. Mission#8 was just a fetch quest where you fetched his eye even had a little bit of backtracking. You mostly followed the Harpy enemies and killed them in a circular room where the glass collapsed if you stood on it too long.

Mission#9 you fight the Witch for the first time. That shield can be damaged by Angel weapons and the sword projectile she throws back at you can be parried. Not a difficult enemy to fight alone but should be a nuisance in groups. In this mission also you go to the "heaven" dimension and have this weird cutscene with Eva after which you acquire the Devil Trigger. The Devil Trigger also works against the rat enemies, starting it auto launches them and you can easily kill them during it. They are completely incapacitated.

Mission#10 is the Bob boss fight. Very pattern based boss fight, it put me to sleep. Just repeat the same strategy over and over. You acquire the Aquila weapons after beating him. Oh and Mundus says the line "YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST!!!" New meme incoming?

These mission sequences don't have a lot of variety in them as they essentially all appear in similar locales aside of course from the boss fight and don't give you that many new tools to play around with. I felt that this section was a bit weaker than the first 1/3rd/quarter of the game but still good fun.

Aquila DESTROYS the Witch. You can charge up a Round Trip from a distance and destroy her shield very quickly and safely. Also in Mission#11 the new enemy Butcher is shown which is basically a giant golem type enemy with 2 buzzsaws and a big old orange "hit me here" weak spot. He doesn't seem to take any damage if you hit anywhere else and seems like an enemy designed to be taken down by slow but heavy hitting demon weapons.

Right. It's par for the course for most OTs of games that have had enough of a pre-release marketing push.

Or were you being facetious?

Well no just saying. It happens. Most people dislike a demo. Won't try the full game. Other perhaps still give the final game a go. I refused watching videos other then the first one and then playing the demo. Now playing the final version, I'm having fun.

Top Bottom