• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Just fought the
Drakavac.

Finally a REAL fucking enemy up in this joint and lives up to the hype. He deflects all bullets and cannot be grappled because he has this 'illusion' phase move. He dashes around you a lot and can teleport. He blocks your normal attacks and has his own red parry ability which if he initiates is free damage for him. The strategy to beat him is rather simply though, he does this phase teleport attack after which he has a lot of recovery. This is one of two attacks he has that after which he is free to attack, the rest he recovers in time to block or parry.

Also the Butcher can toss his buzzsaws as projectiles and they can be parried back at him. It leaves him completely vulnerable if you do it right.

V_Arnold

Dahbomb: I have found Rebellion to be the best against the
golems with the orange spot
. More time to hit it, you can have in 3-4 attacks before hi starts to counterattack, while with devil weapons, you have one or two max.

Varth

Sigh, no dice. HOH doesn't unlock anything. Think I'll go for last powerup points and last 3 doors then give it a rest for some time.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb: I have found Rebellion to be the best against the
golems with the orange spot
. More time to hit it, you can have in 3-4 attacks before hi starts to counterattack, while with devil weapons, you have one or two max.
Demon Dodge or Parry -> Rebellion 2 slash into Trinity Smash

It never fails. It's best to try to Parry him though especially his projectiles. Also with Eryx you can get 3 attacks in for solid damage.

Mission#12
is almost entirely a survival mission where you fight waves of enemies. I sort of like it. You also get the Shotgun for the first time here and it packs quite the punch. Probably the first cutscene where Vergil appears to be a bit dickish especially towards Kat.

Dahbomb

Shotgun is REALLY effective against the Harpy enemies. Instantly drops them to the ground.

Mission#13

This was the Club mission and yeah it's quite psychedelic in its artstyle. You fight quite a lot of waves of enemies and there's a rematch with the Drakavac enemy here and I figured out that you can Parry his counter parry attack. Near the end you fight something new. Those Rage enemies (the feral rats) come back here but now they are fucking color coated. Fighting 2 of them together (one blue one red) was quite the hassle. There are at least a couple of secret missions here as well. Good mission but I missed lock on the most here as there were a lot of enemy configurations where you need to take them out one at a time like they threw Witches, Harpies, color coated enemies all at once while shit like floors were changing colors so you had to keep up.

Carbonox

The music is pretty ass from what I've heard so far. Not more or less ass than in DMC4 though.

From what I've heard of it it's DMC2 levels of wank. I loved the music in DMC4 with some good set piece/boss fight tracks. Then again I just came off another full playthrough so it's very fresh in my mind.

Mr_Zombie

:| indeed

DMC4 usage of single battle theme throughout the whole game was annoying, but at least the rest of soundtrack was good. Here, neither battle theme, nor boss theme do it for me. I hope that either the music doesn't sound so bad in the game, during battles, as it is when heard in a video, or that someone will mod the game and allow you to put something else there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MASAMI UEDA IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR!

Franchise has been filled with bad music since DMC2. At least I never thought NT would improve that aspect.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
While I'm not saying DmC is as good as Batman Begins I think this reboot is heavily remniscent of BB. The series has undergone a massive reboot and it also tells the origin story of Dante. It's interesting because while you see hints of Dante's background in DMC3, we never quite understood how he got to be where he was and why he ended up being the chill person he was in the aforementioned title. In the reboot, NT has done a pretty good job establishing Dante as a different character from the original universe and this works surprisingly well mainly due to how he develops as a person throughout the game. Not only this but how he deals with people and more importantly Vergil is extremely important.

I will say that Dante and Vergil have a surprisingly good chemistry together and it's actually frighteningly so. In the ending,
when Vergil mentions that he "loved" Dante is unique in that it's not a word that gets thrown around in video games often especially when describing filial relations. The bond these two share is immense and the narrative revolving around these two works well due to their acceptance and reliance on each other. I think it's a bit sad then that the actual final boss is Vergil. While it's a super cool boss fight I think for the sake of the narrative it shouldn't have occurred. Throughout the entirety of the game, Vergil and Dante mean something extremely important to each other and have shared a closely-knit bond. Yet for some reason Vergil wants to fight Dante and Dante wants to fight Vergil. While it's sort of in-character for Dante to do what is necessary for what he believes in - in this case, mankind's freedom - I don't see this being the case for Vergil. He has shown compassion, comradery, and love for his brother and while he did consider his true objective at hand most important he always came around to showing Dante a some sort of reverence. To him it appeared that Vergil cared more about family then anything else. What would've been the proper ending narratively is for Dante and Vergil to argue their perspectives and Vergil would walk away in disagreement and resentment over Dante's view of mankind. That's just how I view it.

I think that narratively, DmC is a surprisingly good and interesting take on the already established characters in the DMC universe. While it's not something deep and insightful, I think NT has proven that they can make something interesting and meaningful with this IP.

As in bad? I think that some of these songs are quite okay, and none of them made me think "oh, I should replace this with something else cause it hurts". And I do not listen dubstep.
Heh, I don't know, I think the genre is cool but it sounds repetitive...?for example, the dubstep boss theme fits the "Huge boss wrecking shit" scenario but it's still pretty bad.

Dahbomb

LOLOL.... Late game enemy spoilers:

Drakavac only enemy in the game to not be affected by Devil Trigger.

Gotta beat him the real way son.

Heh, I don't know, I think the genre is cool but it sounds repetitive...?for example, the dubstep boss theme fits the "Huge boss wrecking shit" scenario but it's still pretty bad.

So I platinumed Vanquish today. My blood was pumping so I put on Mundus' Theme from the DmC OST. Needless to say I was pretty pumped up because I felt like a GOD this morning. Rest of the OST is not really interesting. I like Lilith's Club and Hunter's and Barbas' themes

Dahbomb

Late game enemy spoilers:

Drakavac actually has a slightly powerful version that comes at mission#16 called Dreamrunner or something. So do a couple of other enemies, like the basic enemies are Elite Stygians later on and that's pretty much all you fight in DMD from the looks of it.

Nigga even air parries you if your air combos aren't tight.

V_Arnold

So the game is actually pretty good, eh?

Yeah, it is awesome. Higher difficulties and tank-like mobs made me appreciate those weapons that I initially considered too imba and too slow at the same time.

The "slower" combat actually requires a lot of tactic, crowd control and space management to survive on higher difficulties, which is awesome.

Drakavac actually has a slightly powerful version that comes at mission#16 called Dreamrunner or something. So do a couple of other enemies, like the basic enemies are Elite Stygians later on and that's pretty much all you fight in DMD from the looks of it.

Nigga even air parries you if your air combos aren't tight.

LOL

Now i wonder if the PC version will be easily modifiable since i could really see people making a mode with just him as the enemy type LOL

Are we hating on the soundtrack now? Outside of DMC1's awesome ambient music there is nooooo room to talk there. Like at all.

"THE TIME HAS COME AND SO HAVE I"

image.php

ice cold but uncomfortably true..Dante was just "alien" enough to enjoy a certain mass appeal in his heyday..this target marketed one undoes all of that appeal in favor of one Capcom feels is more lucrative.. EVERYTHING about nuDante seems like its created for me not to enjoy.

V_Arnold

It's a different take. Definitely weaker in places and stronger in places. Ultimately, it's not a terrible game overall. It's okay, but it's nothing special.

Did you finish the game, or is that part still pure speculation?
DmC became quite special just fine, thanks to its unorthodox battle system and atmosphere. I expected it to be a good game at best, and then move back to Bayonetta, but I am staying until I finish it on the hardest difficulties (and then some - Vergil+Bloody Palace...)

Whoops, was it a MIDI version? I didn't actually listen to the track. I just did a search.

T'was joke, it's technically not MIDI, but it's not a live orchestra. It's a fine theme, I just think that most Devil May Cry games have pretty rough soundtracks. DmC definitely isn't alone in that regard, in my opinion - DmC has goofy dubstep, the classic series (1 aside) has goofy nu-metal and industrial.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did you finish the game, or is that part still pure speculation?
DmC became quite special just fine, thanks to its unorthodox battle system and atmosphere. I expected it to be a good game at best, and then move back to Bayonetta, but I am staying until I finish it on the hardest difficulties (and then some - Vergil+Bloody Palace...)

Watched the entire game. It's standard fare. Nothing special. It's not leaked around me like it apparently is everywhere else.

T'was joke, it's technically not MIDI, but it's not a live orchestra. It's a fine theme, I just think that most Devil May Cry games have pretty rough soundtracks. DmC definitely isn't alone in that regard, in my opinion - DmC has goofy dubstep, the classic series (1 aside) has goofy nu-metal and industrial.

Oh, I gotcha. I think individual tracks are hit or miss in the series, but I find the to be pretty good overall.

Top Bottom