• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

antitrop

Seems this game is turning out to be somewhere between DMC 3 and 4.

I laugh at anyone who thinks DMC4 was a well-rounded, great game. It had next to no story, meh bosses (save for Credo Angelo) and bland environments/game world. The fact that you had to go back through the same levels in reverse due to some lazy game development didn't help either. The combat however, was spectacular and kept me playing that game for a while (there was nothing comparable besides NG at the time).

This game it already looks like there is a story, the design is great - what remains to be seen is if it has that staple DMC addicting combat system, or is it overly dumbed down to appeal to a broader audience. That might just the deciding factor for the hardcore series vets (of which I am not one).
Devil May Cry 4 has some of the worst level design of any "good" game I've ever played. AND THEN YOU HAVE TO DO IT TWICE.

And then those stupid board game dice arena rooms... God, there was a lot to hate about DMC4, as great as it was.

At least as good as DS2 IMO. Haven't played much of NG3 to comment.

Drek wins again because he can parry RT back at Dante.

yeah, I didn't you would of had honestly. Most wrote it off at launch and honestly, I can see why, but I still can see the underpinning NG roots in it and I can genuine extract some fun out of it, especially in the mission modes.

Plus, its rare to meet a DMC and NG geek, Who has explored both series on a deep level comabt wise. you normally prefer one or the other. Strange really.

It's not that hard to be a better game than NG3 though.

when the dust settles, im convinced that NG3:RE will be the DMC4 of the series with Vanilla being a slightly better DMC2

Dahbomb

I know how deep NG's combat mechanics are and am familiar with them. I just never got into NG3, NG2 was my last NG game that I played with any interest. I like both game series a lot.

I remember back in my GameFAQs days of '05, the constant bickering and board invasions of NGB vs DMC3. Nobody could just see they were both very, very good action games that were different enough it was ok to prefer one over another. No, had to prove how superior one was to another one. "NG has dial-a-combo, play a real man's game DMC3" "Yeah, with babby's first AI"

Man, that was annoying

If I beat Devil May Cry 4 four times, does that mean I beat it eight times?

That means you beat those bosses what, 12 times?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If I beat Devil May Cry 4 four times, does that mean I beat it eight times?

AZxO0.png

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Seems this game is turning out to be somewhere between DMC 3 and 4.

I laugh at anyone who thinks DMC4 was a well-rounded, great game. It had next to no story, meh bosses (save for Credo Angelo) and bland environments/game world. The fact that you had to go back through the same levels in reverse due to some lazy game development didn't help either. The combat however, was spectacular and kept me playing that game for a while (there was nothing comparable besides NG at the time).

This game it already looks like there is a story, the design is great - what remains to be seen is if it has that staple DMC addicting combat system, or is it overly dumbed down to appeal to a broader audience. That might just the deciding factor for the hardcore series vets (of which I am not one).

Feel free to laugh away, because I think 4 is the best game after 1. The combat is absolutely exquisite, propped up by some fantastic enemy and encounter design. They're just fun as hell to fight, especially compared to some of the absolutely miserable enemies in DMC3 (Fallen, anyone?). The bosses in 4 were great. Credo was phenomenal, the rest were fun enough to make refights interesting. 3 and 4 both had one major stinker (Arkham + Savior) so they're about even in the boss category for me.

The level design wasn't even a consideration for me when I was playing, honestly. These games shine in combat and enemy design, and thats where 4 delivers. I mean really, the appeal of these games is replaying them several times with more challenging encounters and remixed areas, so I never saw backtracking as a problem. As for the story, if DmC's story is seen as progressive, then I'd prefer the series just stay stagnant. At least 4 had some fantastically directed cutscenes to make it's non-story entertaining. :p

On a side note, NG3 was probably the most genuinely awful action game I've played in ages. I never suspected for a minute that DmC would even approach NG3's level of awfulness, or even be less than decent. It's simply a regression in the things that matter to me in the series, and I'm not willing to support that.

edit: the dice game was such a non-issue i was pretty shocked when i saw people talking about it with such vitriol. i figured out the 'trick' (if you can call it that) immediately and finished it in like 2 minutes.

I remember back in my GameFAQs days of '05, the constant bickering and board invasions of NGB vs DMC3. Nobody could just see they were both very, very good action games that were different enough it was ok to prefer one over another. No, had to prove how superior one was to another one. "NG has dial-a-combo, play a real man's game DMC3" "Yeah, with babby's first AI"

Man, that was annoying

That means you beat those bosses what, 12 times?

I was lucky in that My first NG was Sigma. I enjoyed it so much I bought an xbox just to play black. DMC is still where my heart is in terms of the trinity, but My mind understands NG better. I can appreciate DMC combo videos, but I can only replicate the most basic/average stuff.

But NG mission modes and Master ninja runs are my bread and butter. love that shit.

Dahbomb

DMC4 kills DmC's bosses and all the enemies except Drakavac.

Also some of the enemies in the Vergil DLC are NOT in the full game. I saw 2 in that trailer that I never fought against.

I was lucky in that My first NG was Sigma. I enjoyed it so much I bought an xbox just to play black. DMC is still where my heart is in terms of the trinity, but My mind understands NG better. I can appreciate DMC combo videos, but I can only replicate the most basic/average stuff.

But NG mission modes and Master ninja runs are my bread and butter. love that shit.

My first NG was sigma too. I haven't beat Master Ninja yet but I loved the Very Hard mode, felt like a perfect balance between where you had to master your skills and knowledge of AI as well as being somewhat forgiving. There's something about not having new game plus that made it annoying but yet satisfying when you advance on harder difficulties

NG Sigma 2 MN can kiss my ass though - one grab kill

antitrop

I prefer the way Ninja Theory handled it in Heavenly Sword. It was very cinematic and well done.
They had the little "live-action panels" that would pop into the screen for narrative and dialogue purposes, without interrupting the gameplay.

Of course, it's been 5 1/2 years since I played Heavenly Sword, so my memory of that game is soooooo fuzzy.

Dahbomb

How would you rank the boss fights?
Vergil > Hunter > Poison > Mundus Spawn > Bob > Mundus

Mundus is Sanctus + that building boss from DMC2. It's that bad. At least it looks good visually speaking but mechanically it's awful.

Bob is also pretty bad especially during the camera sequences where you have to fight the fodder enemies. This is going to be excruciatingly bad on DMD mode and if they add colored enemies here it's going to be a whole new tier of craptacular boss design.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Uh I am pretty sure having unskippable mini cutscenes automatically puts them into z-tier status.

I'm not expecting anything to be Credo, Vergil or Nelo Angelo tier or even Berial/Phantom/Cerberus tier. Just interested to see how they stank against each other.

Raxus

Mundus is Sanctus + that building boss from DMC2. It's that bad. At least it looks good visually speaking but mechanically it's awful.

Bob is also pretty bad especially during the camera sequences where you have to fight the fodder enemies. This is going to be excruciatingly bad on DMD mode and if they add colored enemies here it's going to be a whole new tier of craptacular boss design.

Ugh don't speak about the building boss in DMC2. Hearrrrrgh. *dry heaves*

1. Who is this boss fight
Bob
again?

2. How do like the last night?

The level design wasn't even a consideration for me when I was playing, honestly. These games shine in combat and enemy design, and thats where 4 delivers. I mean really, the appeal of these games is replaying them several times with more challenging encounters and remixed areas, so I never saw backtracking as a problem. As for the story, if DmC's story is seen as progressive, then I'd prefer the series just stay stagnant. At least 4 had some fantastically directed cutscenes to make it's non-story entertaining. :p

I'd love to see a character action game with no focus at all on story/environment art. Instead the game would all take place in an expanded bloody palace type mode with bosses every so many levels. All the time/energy focusing on these superfluous elements would be spent on expanding enemy/weapon variety and creating a large number of playable characters. I couldn't see anything like it ever happening though.

How does the Virgil fight compare to its DMC3 equivalent?

While I feel the bosses are nothing spectacular, at least when it comes to mechanics. Visually I love them. Bob was like a TRON nightmare!

*edit* Also I do feel like this DmC is more like akin to something like God of War in ways with the cinematic, the boss presentation, and some of the set piece moments.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Well that all sounds...terrible.
Sanctus is easily my least favorite boss in a DMC game. That's a painful comparison to hear you make.

Dahbomb

Sorry, I meant last boss fight,
Vergil
. It looked pretty much on youtube, how did it play for you?
DMC3 Vergil fights are all vastly superior. The attacks in this are very obviously telegraphed and quite a few moves of Vergil's have a ton of recovery which makes him open to attacks. He can also easily be parried on most of his attacks which further opens him up. His Doppelganger clone is essentially free meter for your DT as the more you hit it the more purple orb it spits out. The boss fight is still way better than anything else in the game.

Things might change with DMD mode but on Nephilim it wasn't really challenging or engaging.

Dahbomb

It's not the worst boss fight of all time in a DMC game. When I fought the fight those 2 bosses are what popped in my head almost instantly. I think it might be better than those 2 but again... it's not a major accomplishment either way.

Sanctus is a really fucking awful boss fight but I think people are quick to forget how shit Arkham from DMC3 is too. It looks like all of DmC's bosses are pretty much worst in series though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Arkham was boring and unremarkable but I didn't hate fighting him like I did Sanctus. Sanctus made me want to turn the game off.

Carbonox

The Arkham battle was fucking horrible. Would have been so much better if they actually kept Arkham Sparda-fied and you had to fight some ridiculously OP'ed Sparda copy. They could have still used the Vergil gimmick for some uber sons vs father corny finishing cutscene.

Ghazi

Devil May Cry 4 has some of the worst level design of any "good" game I've ever played. AND THEN YOU HAVE TO DO IT TWICE.

And then those stupid board game dice arena rooms... God, there was a lot to hate about DMC4, as great as it was.
Wait, wait, wait, wait... You're complaining about backtracking, in a Devil May Cry game?

Top Bottom