• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol@ rating a game without playing it

Well watching a Ninja Theory game is half of playing it.

I have a pretty clear understanding of the gameplay. Most people who are interesting in DmC are interested in the story. I don't need to play it to speak out about that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Putting a new spin on the term "Video Review"

iBdkiZmN9x4vV.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Late game enemy spoilers:

Drakavac actually has a slightly powerful version that comes at mission#16 called Dreamrunner or something. So do a couple of other enemies, like the basic enemies are Elite Stygians later on and that's pretty much all you fight in DMD from the looks of it.

Nigga even air parries you if your air combos aren't tight.

Late game? Is the game like 4 hours long?

Dahbomb

I am clocking in at 6 hours, got like 5 more missions to go.

I have been playing it non stop since the morning. Got NeoGAF open on my laptop with the DMD stream as I play and update.

I really liked Devils Never Cry in general, and I like Dante's theme in UMvC3. I think it worked really well in the opening of the game.

you mean in DMC3 or in MvC3?

I am assuming you are talking about DMC3...If so I absolutely agree. The first 10-20 seconds of that song with the editing of Dante and Vergil swinging their swords under the moon at the top of the tower...

To steal from TheSeks

aV5lq.jpg

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just got done playing through DMC 1-4 before firing up DmC, and the new DmC is pretty awesome.

It's hard to believe why Capcom would turn a blind eye to the amazing combat system of 4, but that doesn't make DmC's combat bad, it's just different. Same to be said for the whole game, the tone, the feel, and the combat isn't really similar to the original Devil May Cry series. But damn is it fantastic.

V_Arnold

Watched the entire game. It's standard fare. Nothing special. It's not leaked around me like it apparently is everywhere else.

Gotcha. So you did not play it. Yeah, I would assume it is a pretty boring action game TO WATCH. :D

But when playing it, especially on the second half when there is amazing enemy variety present (with 3-4 types of mobs on you PLUS at least 2 of those have semi-enraged stances, and colored enemies are not even in the equation in this), the player is actually required to think, time attacks well, and not just mash stuff. I doubt that comes across from watching random streams.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gotcha. So you did not play it. Yeah, I would assume it is a pretty boring action game TO WATCH. :D

But when playing it, especially on the second half when there is amazing enemy variety present (with 3-4 types of mobs on you PLUS at least 2 of those have semi-enraged stances, and colored enemies are not even in the equation in this), the player is actually required to think, time attacks well, and not just mash stuff. I doubt that comes across from watching random streams.

All that stuff was clear to me watching it, and besides the colored enemies are not something new to the series. I don't find it special. The fact a player can't simply "mash buttons" is not a strong argument to me.

Again, I was speaking more to the story anyway.

Dahbomb

I feel I am in the home stretch of the game and I can't help but feel that the game has lost some steam. I am ready for this game to be over already...

Mission#15 was pretty ass
(it was a 2 minute chase mission)
and Mission#16 is really boring except for
Dreamrunners/Drakavacs/Rage pair making things interesting
. I like 17 though, the environments are really nice here.

The story is definitely nothing special. The cutscenes are for the most part boring and something that I will definitely be skipping over without thinking about them. The opening cutscene of Mission#15 was pretty bad and very cliche. Thankfully fighting multiple enemy types is fun.

Just got done playing through DMC 1-4 before firing up DmC, and the new DmC is pretty awesome.

It's hard to believe why Capcom would turn a blind eye to the amazing combat system of 4, but that doesn't make DmC's combat bad, it's just different. Same to be said for the whole game, the tone, the feel, and the combat isn't really similar to the original Devil May Cry series. But damn is it fantastic.

I really appreciate you going back to the roots of the franchise and play through them again. As I watched your videos (every single one from DMC1 to your uploads of DMC4 for now) I was happy to see you and Matt take in the games for what they were, good and bad, and to see what the games were trying to accomplish and how to the games have evolved.

And like you said, this isn't a black/white "you like DMC so you must be against DmC" or "DMC is outdated" or "people just hate change"...with the new game coming out too often people turn against the old DMCs with the reductionist views on cutscenes, story, character development, gameplay mechanics, etc.

Again, it was nice to see you and Matt play through all the games. Every battle against Vergil (1 or 3) made me lol

I'm starting to realize that there's probably nothing wrong with this game, it's just that it's not a Japanese action game anymore and I'm having a hard time enjoying the demo because of it. Capcom were being serious when they meant that this was designed with a different audience in mind. It hurts that it had to be my favorite franchise, but so be it. Bayonetta 2 and MGR are coming out so it's whatever.

I can see why people are enjoying it. I just can't see myself wanting to do rank runs in this game the way I would if I were playing Bayonetta, NG, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

V_Arnold

All that stuff was clear to me watching it, and besides the colored enemies are not something new to the series. I don't find it special. The fact a player can't simply "mash buttons" is not a strong argument to me.

Again, I was speaking more to the story anyway.

Yeah, the story is nothing special. It is not horrible as the fuck you crowd would want it to be, and it also has a few great moments (
The capture of Kat, for one
), but it is not "Oscar-level writing", lol :D

Dahbomb

I'm glad to hear the game doesn't suck.
Initial "review" coming in a couple of hours but yeah the game definitely does not suck. It's a pretty good/solid action game with good pacing (*cough* DS2 *cough*) but it disappoints in the actual non-game parts that are characters, writing and story. Also the whole feel of the game is different from the previous DMC games so many comparisons aren't really apt.

Full review will come after I beat DMD mode though as that mode is what this game is about.

But the abundance of grappling in the demo was a real turn-off. Is there that much of it in the full game?
There is a SHIT TON of grappling in the whole game. It's pretty mind numbing but thankfully non of the platforming segments are frustrating.

Initial "review" coming in a couple of hours but yeah the game definitely does not suck. It's a pretty good/solid action game with good pacing (*cough* DS2 *cough*) but it disappoints in the actual non-game parts that are characters, writing and story. Also the whole feel of the game is different from the previous DMC games so many comparisons aren't really apt.

Full review will come after I beat DMD mode though as that mode is what this game is about.

you are working on the DMD already? Does the game deliver on other aspects of gameplay besides combat, like level design, pacing, or platforming?

Yeah, the story is nothing special. It is not horrible as the fuck you crowd would want it to be, and it also has a few great moments (
The capture of Kat, for one
), but it is not "Oscar-level writing", lol :D

It's like you've put all your proud souls into your persecution complex.

There is a SHIT TON of grappling in the whole game. It's pretty mind numbing but thankfully non of the platforming segments are frustrating.

I may have to pass, then. Or wait until it's $20 or something. It's not like there aren't a ton of other games coming out in the first half of this year anyway.

what id like to know is how it compares to NG3 on MN and Darksiders 2 on hard.

Oh btw, it is either Stockholm-syndrome or I find myself liking the stages more and more as I replay them. :D

Oh yeah. It is not like if you read the thread, half of it is...oh wait.

People are discussing the game...no one is really talking about the "fuck you" scene as the center of discussion. People who have the game, like yourself, are sharing their thoughts on it. People who don't have the game are equally sharing their thoughts on available footage. No one is really out to trash the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Game sounds a lot like the demo. I had a ton of fun with the combat but the platforming, grappling, and cutscenes are nothing to write home about. Probably another DMC4 experience where I'll only be touching Bloody Palace after awhile.

Fine with me but it still seems like a reboot that didn't manage to improve the core experience.

Oh the spammable charging Aquila move?

I've been watching the stream off and on, it's crazy how you can totally lock down all but the biggest enemies with that thing, even on DMD. You can hit that Blue DemonDog thing with it every five seconds and focus your attention on the red one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been watching the stream off and on, it's crazy how you can totally lock down all but the biggest enemies with that thing, even on DMD. You can hit that Blue DemonDog thing with it every five seconds and focus your attention on the red one.

It seems absurdly powerful. Especially since you can charge the next round trip while the first one is still out.

V_Arnold

Oh the spammable charging Aquila move?

Yeah. Best thing about it? You do not even need to charge it to lock down an enemy for 5-8 seconds.

But..it is parriable by enemies. And you can hit yourself with it against certain enemies :D

I've seen enemies going out of it - the enraged dog for example ignored it a few times, even though the Aquila was on it.
Also, against half of the enemies, getting them in a lockable stance is half the battle. You get a round trip on someone, then it is time for dat air combo (or for anything else :D)

antitrop

People are discussing the game...no one is really talking about the "fuck you" scene as the center of discussion. People who have the game, like yourself, are sharing their thoughts on it. People who don't have the game are equally sharing their thoughts on available footage. No one is really out to trash the game.
I'd say the game is pretty much meeting expectations of rational, reasonable people who judge games based on their merits.

antitrop

Dahbomb, now that you've had some decent time with the game, can you expound upon your thoughts on the omission of a lock-on mechanic?

antitrop

and we all have our standards on how we judge this game. As far I can see we are all discussing the game
Exactly. I'm glad this game just isn't a total disaster and there are some decent things to like about it.

People have been assuming "worst case scenario" for this since day 1 reveal, but it's refreshing to see that they didn't fuck it up nearly as bad as almost everyone assumed they would.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, now that you've had some decent time with the game, can you expound upon your thoughts on the omission of a lock-on mechanic?
It's missed and the game should've had it. I can't talk about it without bringing up examples but that would be spoilers. Basically there were a lot of sections in the game where I thought "man lock on would've been great here". Just being able to keep focus on someone like Drek would've been amazing to have.

And this is just on Neph, I feel it's going to be a hindrance on DMD as well.

Kablooey is pretty awesome for combos and breaking shields plus you can stack the needles.

Seems this game is turning out to be somewhere between DMC 3 and 4.

I laugh at anyone who thinks DMC4 was a well-rounded, great game. It had next to no story, meh bosses (save for Credo Angelo) and bland environments/game world. The fact that you had to go back through the same levels in reverse due to some lazy game development didn't help either. The combat however, was spectacular and kept me playing that game for a while (there was nothing comparable besides NG at the time).

This game it already looks like there is a story, the design is great - what remains to be seen is if it has that staple DMC addicting combat system, or is it overly dumbed down to appeal to a broader audience. That might just the deciding factor for the hardcore series vets (of which I am not one).

Err... question...

Watched a video of the final boss fight... and the way the screen cuts-off when Dante's eye turn red... is that really how it ends? Do the credits roll after that?

Dahbomb

Err... question...

Watched a video of the final boss fight... and the way the screen cuts-off when Dante's eye turn red... is that really how it ends? Do the credits roll after that?
There is some conversation between Dante/Vergil at the end after which he slices up a portal to another dimension and vanished. Then Kyrie says some cheesy ass anime dialogue of "you are you... you are Dante!" Then credits roll.

Top Bottom