• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So what's with the Union Jack on Dante's uniform? Is he British? Or is that a hipster thing I don't know about?

Ninja Theory is British, Donte is a Mary Sue for Tameem. All you need to know. :p

So what's with the Union Jack on Dante's uniform? Is he British? Or is that a hipster thing I don't know about?

He takes after his father

oS0eA.jpg

Dahbomb

I read the Monocle review and although I feel that he's selling the game a bit short he does bring up some valid points. Game IS a bit rough around the edges and it has quite a few bugs/glitches in it though nothing game breaking at least. DT is very buggy sometimes it works and sometimes it completely doesn't. This is especially true on Draks who can sometimes walk through DT like it's nothing while other times they can be launched by it.

V_Arnold

I read the Monocle review and although I feel that he's selling the game a bit short he does bring up some valid points. Game IS a bit rough around the edges and it has quite a few bugs/glitches in it though nothing game breaking at least. DT is very buggy sometimes it works and sometimes it completely doesn't. This is especially true on Draks who can sometimes walk through DT like it's nothing while other times they can be launched by it.

That is not necessarily a bug, just cause it looks like one :p It can be as simple as their parry stance automatically ignoring DT or something like that. Or their parry-type attack, once initiated, could parry the DT activation aoe launcher. Stuff like that. And maybe if someone ignored that (like enraged rats can do - and I suspect if there is two rats, and both get launched by DT, then one of them dies, the other will "get out" of the DT stun :p), then they are free to move while you try to juggle everything and everyone in DT mode.

What's the deal with these secret door challenges? Are they tied to the difficulty you're playing on or are they simply just not "challenging" at all?

Dahbomb

Draks even recover if they do manage to get launched on DT. Whatever the mechanics behind it are it's very inconsistent.

What's the deal with these secret door challenges? Are they tied to the difficulty you're playing on or are they simply just not "challenging" at all?
The ones I played were quite easy so I don't know. I haven't played all of them yet. I might do that today.

The green zone one was very easy. Just stand in the zone and start pulling enemies in it.

V_Arnold

They are not too hard. Copper challenges are the easiest, and they get harder and harder - or at least they should. There is one or two that I was too tired to do last night (like the only enemies only taking damage in green zones, or kill all without damage, lol :p), but they are not too hard. But good to fire it up for practice from the main menu anyway.

Draks even recover if they do manage to get launched on DT. Whatever the mechanics behind it are it's very inconsistent.

That is not what inconsistent is :D If we figure out how they trigger their escape, that is consistent - and they will be treated as DT-breaking enemies. If they sometimes do it, sometimes do not, under the exact same circumstance, now that is inconsistent.

They are not too hard. Copper challenges are the easiest, and they get harder and harder - or at least they should. There is one or two that I was too tired to do last night (like the only enemies only taking damage in green zones, or kill all without damage, lol :p), but they are not too hard. But good to fire it up for practice from the main menu anyway.

I see, that's a bit disappointing. Finding the keys has to be the most difficult part about all that.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I disagree about that as well. If you did enough homework on something then you can make as good of an argument on the game as someone who played it. The only thing that would be different is talking about secrets that a walkthrough or review wouldn't touch, but discussing something on the core level and what works/doesn't work is entirely possible. I know because I did it. Playing Hitman Absolution and beating it in the last couple of weeks didn't expose me to anything that I did not already know beforehand on a level design or mechanics level, so all of a sudden my old arguments before the game came out suddenly become "valid" just because I played it? Even though nothing changed or was proven wrong? That doesn't make any sense to me.
"My assumption was right about a particular video game, so any assumptions that I will ever make about future video games will be 100% accurate. Forever."

Am I paraphrasing effectively? Because if I'm not, then that implies that your assumptions could be wrong. You can argue all you want about what it's like to bungie jump after having watched a few dozen videos and read all the links referenced on the Wikipedia page for bungie jumping, but your input on what it's like to bungie jump will be of little worth if you've never actually experienced it yourself. Personal experience is highly valued for good reason, and it is shocking that you seriously believe that confirmation of an assumption somehow automatically validates other assumptions that you will make.

Carbonox

I was hoping that those DLC costumes would be unlockable by doing the harder requirements in the game (finishing Hell and Hell or whatever) but they're not. What a shame, I want that DMC3 Dante skin.

MMaRsu

I was hoping that those DLC costumes would be unlockable by doing the harder requirements in the game (finishing Hell and Hell or whatever) but they're not. What a shame, I want that DMC3 Dante skin.

So wait you can only get the extra costumes from pre-order? Or do you have to buy them? I kinda like what I've seen from this game, I'm not a huge DMC buff and I'm not a fan of the Dante redesign or the 30fps but hey it kinda looks cool and I haven't played a good action game in awhile. Darksiders 2 wasnt it.

Carbonox

So wait you can only get the extra costumes from pre-order? Or do you have to buy them? I kinda like what I've seen from this game, I'm not a huge DMC buff and I'm not a fan of the Dante redesign or the 30fps but hey it kinda looks cool and I haven't played a good action game in awhile. Darksiders 2 wasnt it.

You unlock very little selection-wise:
Jacket-less Dante, something else I think and Super Dante
. Those DLC costumes we saw earlier are purely DLC though.

Carbonox

Devil May Cry definitely needs to return to MT Framework. Devil May Cry 4 still looks stunning. I reckon there are some nice ideas that can be transferred from DmC to a new Devil May Cry but I also wouldn't mind seeing a DmC2 (though this will almost certainly be on Unreal still unless Ninja Theory end up learning how to use MT Framework).

As I stated in my video review. I feel this has more in common with the likes of like a mix between DmC and God of War. It's def not a game that is going for the massive insane combat/combos of previous games. Granted the combo system is robust, but not the likes of the other games especially part 4. Though it seems to be making itself a more action adventure like God of War with its platforming and boss battles. The bosses are HUGE creatures that fill up the screen and have patterns as such, really drove that home for me. I think some DMC fans are going to be extremely upset at that. While at the same time this game will possible bring the DmC brand to players who never wanted to touch it before. I don't want to say its more casual friendly, but it almost does feel like a hollywood-ized version of the previous games if that makes sense.

Also my god I popped in Devil May Cry 2 again just to see how that aged and my memory of it was. Wow it's worse then I recalled. If anyone needs to absolutely put hate on any DMC game, my goodness it was that one.

dan2026

Devil May Cry definitely needs to return to MT Framework. Devil May Cry 4 still looks stunning. I reckon there are some nice ideas that can be transferred from DmC to a new Devil May Cry but I also wouldn't mind seeing a DmC2 (though this will almost certainly be on Unreal still unless Ninja Theory end up learning how to use MT Framework).

They would have to learn Japanese first. MT Framework is solely in Japanese.
There is no way they could have used it for this game.

DihcarEM

They would have to learn Japanese first. MT Framework is solely in Japanese.
There is no way they could have used it for this game.

Actually i read somewhere that that was false information. MT framework does exist in english but NinjaT chose to go with unreal3. The same reason is always given in the later interviews, it's because they have experience making a game(Enslaved) with it.
I personally think it also has to do with contract rights, if they had used Capcom's engine, they would have lost a cut in their profit.

So essentially not that different from game journalists then:

*Cue review of Dark/Demon Souls where reviewer admits to reviewing the game before finishing it*

Man, at least they played a good part of it! I remember people getting upset at Sterling for not finishing the final boss of FFXIII, like that was gonna magically increase the score or something

I feel like Allen Iverson reading that thing. "Not the game! Not playing the game! We talkin' bout YouTube. We talkin' about YouTube man"

Yuterald

I know a lot of people personally who watch entire playthroughs on YouTube and then play it off like they've played the entire game. Years ago back when Dead Space came out I was talking to an old co-worker of mine about the game. The final boss got mentioned and I said how cool of a fight it was or whatever and once I started getting into particulars he admitted that he saw it on YouTube. The entire time I thought he actually played through the game!

It's so fucking common nowadays. I honestly don't understand it. I get watching a few vids to get an idea of a game that you're maybe interested in, but to spoil a game by watching another play it, you've got some problems. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but...is it that you want to play the game and you don't have the money/time? Or do you just HAVE to know everything about the game immediately? Shit wasn't like this back in the day. Before YouTube and the internet you would, you know, actually fucking play the game to form an opinion. I think it's an addiction problem. You're addicted to having to have to know.

Dahbomb

That DMC4 gif came WAY after the actual game came. People would've shat their pants and pre-ordered the game if we had that gif before the game's release. Most of us didn't even know about the Table Hopper ability in the game.

V_Arnold

Just curious guys... do these mean anything to you?
I'm wondering because apparently it's no longer possible to make inferences from gameplay footage.

I could easily produce something better in DmC than the left gif of yours, with more speed, more hits and more movement :p The right one is awesome, as it should be.

You are, however, making a point against yourself. Only by PLAYING the game can one actually determine what and what is not possible in the game. Unless you suddenly jumped ahead of time, and instead of looking at random youtube playthroughs, you bathed in hours of delicate, high level DmC combo video footage, made on DmD difficulty.

I like how everyone is bashing the guy who reviewed the YouTube playthrough when most of his comments were about janky camera, linearity, poor platforming, etc. rather than the feel of the core gameplay. All of that can easily be gotten from watching a playthrough.

I'm pretty sure most of you skipped his post before criticizing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like how everyone is bashing the guy who reviewed the YouTube playthrough when most of his comments were about janky camera, linearity, poor platforming, etc. rather than the feel of the core gameplay. All of that can easily be gotten from watching a playthrough.

Well I guess we should just let all RPGs be reviewed by videos now then.

First off. What DMC game isn't linear? No offense but backtracking can GTFO of most games. Camera being janky, I found it quite opposite. I never had a huge issue with the camera. Poor platforming. While it's not amazing platforming, I felt it was def serviceable and I enjoyed it. This coming from someone who DID play the game, and not watch the videos. Just saying.

LTWheels

Next dmc game will be next gen so Unreal 4. People heavily under rate Unreal 3 Engine. It is more powerful and versatile than MT Frameworks. I honestly think that MT is over rated as an engine as it looks pretty.

MT does not seem to be able to simulate physics and real time effects like Unreal does. There is generally a lot more going on in Unreal games compared to MT. If you look at Capcom's titles released on MT, you will notice a lack of things going on in the background, or how objects don't interact with characters (physics interactions). This is also as reason why MT scales very well. You can see the engine being heavily stretched on 'more complex' games like Dragon's Dogma and RE6.

Really U3 is slightly too powerful for consoles. Stuff like the texture pop ins on loading results from the lack of ram and quick hard drives in the current consoles. U3 does beast on PC, DmC will look great on it.

First off. What DMC game isn't linear? No offense but backtracking can GTFO of most games. Camera being janky, I found it quite opposite. I never had a huge issue with the camera. Poor platforming. While it's not amazing platforming, I felt it was def serviceable and I enjoyed it. This coming from someone who DID play the game, and not watch the videos. Just saying.

1) I'm not giving my impressions. Don't try and argue his points with me.
2) Games are not rated relative to the previous games in the series. Linearity isn't excusable because the DMC games were linear.

However, I think you'll notice that DMC was far less linear than DmC3, which was far less linear than DMC4, which is supposedly less linear than DmC.

Varth

Just curious guys... do these mean anything to you?

darksiders2deathcomba04e0b.gif
dmc4nerospeargrab1355xheoj.gif

I'm wondering because apparently it's no longer possible to make inferences from gameplay footage.

Well, one who played the game would argue that you can do the exact same things in both videos in DmC too, aside from the taunting.

btw: I guess it's a testament to how good the game is that after doing all the secret missions, I couldn't stand by my own wish to put the game aside. Doing a 4th run for full SSS on nephilim right now (5 missions done). Just having too much fun with it :D

Dahbomb

Whatever happened to all the insane asylum stuff from the announcement trailer?
He has a mini flash back scene where he talks about people thinking he is crazy for seeing demons. There's also a pic of him stabbing himself with his finger to feel his heart.

No torture scene though.

There is an equivalent of that DMC4 "throw sword back at boss" in DmC. You can do that on the Hunter. Too bad there is no Table Hopper or Taunt in DmC.

Monocle

I could easily produce something better in DmC than the left gif of yours, with more speed, more hits and more movement :p The right one is awesome, as it should be.

You are, however, making a point against yourself. Only by PLAYING the game can one actually determine what and what is not possible in the game. Unless you suddenly jumped ahead of time, and instead of looking at random youtube playthroughs, you bathed in hours of delicate, high level DmC combo video footage, made on DmD difficulty.
Maybe 1/6th of my post discussed combat, and that small paragraph wasn't meant to be an exhaustive analysis of what's possible in the game. I've noticed that the people who keep piling on have had nothing to say about the majority of my impressions, which concern the story, level design, visuals, and other elements that can be plainly observed without playing. Instead there's this idea that I purposefully posted a "review" that was meant to be an authoritative evaluation of the game. And weirdly—you'd think there would be a contradiction in here somewhere—there are also jeers about the fact that I announced ahead of time precisely where I was coming from and why my thoughts on the gameplay should be read skeptically.

I have to say this atmosphere of hostility is puzzling. I get the sense that some of you haven't taken ten seconds to inform yourselves about what I actually said. (And I don't mean you, V_Arnold.)

1) I'm not giving my impressions. Don't try and argue his points with me.
2) Games are not rated relative to the previous games in the series. Linearity isn't excusable because the DMC games were linear.

However, I think you'll notice that DMC was far less linear than DmC3, which was far less linear than DMC4, which is supposedly less linear than DmC.

Well you said you think everyone was criticizing before reading his type up. I'm just giving my feedback on his post from someone who has played it. As for the linearity comment. I don't understand the complaint. What action hack and slash type game isn't linear aside from a few like Darksiders 2 and even those with open world areas still have one path to follow. That's a whole other topic though so I'll drop that. :)

Varth

There is an equivalent of that DMC4 "throw sword back at boss" in DmC. You can do that on the Hunter. Too bad there is no Table Hopper or Taunt in DmC.

You can throw back the rotating knife with cool parry? Gotta try that. I was thinking about the witch's triple spears, actually.

Top Bottom