• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

K.Sabot

I turned off the game and went on to GAF to write my review. Is there some hidden stuff in it? I heard people say there's a clip of some guy at NT flipping the bird at you.

Well, it had a pretty entertaining behind the scenes montage that ended with a NT dude throwing the bird while riding away on a skateboard.

Dahbomb

Oh, DmC Vergil is terrible now? Why?
I like his design but his personality is extremely lackluster. He doesn't seem menacing, bad ass or even threatening. Barely even has a shred of being a villainous character. Maybe the Downfall DLC will make him more bad ass/villainous but right now he's a wimpy push over.

This is fucking Vergil. Cuts up a demon's face in 4 pieces, uppercuts his body to the fucking roof and cuts it in half with the flick of his heel. And not a single fuck was given.

So IGN did a Top 10 DMC boss list

It's terrible

10. Phantom from Devil May Cry
9. Savior from Devil May Cry 4
8. Mundus from Devil May Cry
7. Angelo Credo from Devil May Cry 4
6. Agni & Rudra from Devil May Cry 3
5. Bob Barbas from DmC: Devil May Cry
4. Nightmare from Devil May Cry
3. Echidna from Devil May Cry 4
2. Berial from Devil May Cry 4
1. Vergil from Devil May Cry 3

well at least they got #1 right, but that was a gimmie

ezekial45

Banned
I'll ask this again, it got last in the last page.

Did Dante say "Let's get violent" at all during the game? I heard him say it during the Overturn mission back in September, but I haven't heard it since.

V_Arnold

I like his design but his personality is extremely lackluster. He doesn't seem menacing, bad ass or even threatening. Barely even has a shred of being a villainous character. Maybe the Downfall DLC will make him more bad ass/villainous but right now he's a wimpy push over.

This is fucking Vergil. Cuts up a demon's face in 4 pieces, uppercuts his body to the fucking roof and cuts it in half with the flick of his heel. And not a single fuck was given.

I am pretty sure DmC Vergil is not a fully fledged villain in the story. He starts becoming one around the end, but that is about it, imho. Yeah, here is to hoping that Downfall DLC actually follows him after the events of the first game.

Dahbomb

It's terrible
Turned it off at Savior making the top 10 list.

Ok I lied and saw the whole thing. Echidna and Bob should not be on that list at all. Plus they cheated hardcore by putting Nelo Angelo and Vergil together.

The definitive DMC top 10 boss list:

1) Vergil DMC3
2) Nelo Angelo
3) Credo Angelo
4) Agni and Rudra
5) Phantom
6) Berial
7) Dante
8) Beowulf
9) Cerberus
10) Mundus

DMC2 gets honorary mentions for 2 good bosses: Despair Embodied and Bolverk. DmC gets mention for the final boss fight which I can't spoil right now. But none of these are top 10 material.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's terrible

Savior should be nowhere near that list.

Mokudin

Neo Member

As someone who is supposed to be Vergil he's terrible because he has just about nothing in common personality wise with his name sake.

As a character taken on his own he's terrible because of what happens at the end.

okay on mission 5 I believe
the succubus one where you are in the virility factory
how the hell do you reach the floating cargo box thing with the blue thread door you gotta break open with osiris?

MechaX

It's terrible

#1 is right, and at least Credo is on the list...

But Savior, WTF.

Not that big of a fan of
his sniper rifle abortion.

V_Arnold

As someone who is supposed to be Vergil he's terrible because he has just about nothing in common personality wise with his name sake.

As a character taken on his own he's terrible because of what happens at the end.

He is not supposed to be Vergil any more than DmC Dante is supposed to be DMC Dante. In a reboot/Ultimate universe, not so much.

I find the events of the ending well set up, that was the least problematic part of this game's story.
Everything involving Mundus/Lilith and that horrible exchange scene, that is more likely the source of issues with me...
It was foreshadowed quite well, and lack of detailed communication regarding the "endgame plans" made it possible. It does not make Vergil a bad character, it just makes him an introvert one :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I thought Barbas was the 2nd best boss in DmC for what it's worth (not much). He and Savior shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

Zeal

Banned
Amazed at how extremely good this game is. The different combination of weapons and attacks makes the combat addictive as hell. Bravo, Ninja Theory. Hoping Lords of Shadow 2 has a combat system similar to this.

Will be played until Rising.

It's terrible

The swords need to lower.

Dahbomb

Just know that Bob Barbas is there, and Echinda is in the top 3, along with Berial

Also, no Nelo Angelo
They lumped Nelo Angelo together with Vergil for #1. That's sort of cheating IMO. Mechanically there are a lot of differences between the 2 boss fights to warrant different placing.

Savior, Echidna and Bob don't belong on the list. I feel Beowulf, Dante and Cerberus outclass them.

Teknoman

Turned it off at Savior making the top 10 list.

Ok I lied and saw the whole thing. Echidna and Bob should not be on that list at all. Plus they cheated hardcore by putting Nelo Angelo and Vergil together.

The definitive DMC top 10 boss list:

1) Vergil DMC3
2) Nelo Angelo
3) Credo Angelo
4) Agni and Rudra
5) Phantom
6) Berial
7) Dante
8) Beowulf
9) Cerberus
10) Mundus

DMC2 gets honorary mentions for 2 good bosses: Despair Embodied and Bolverk. DmC gets mention for the final boss fight which I can't spoil right now. But none of these are top 10 material.

Thank you for listing Cerberus, had some...cool dialog with Dante.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fuck Beowulf.

Amazed at how extremely good this game is. The different combination of weapons and attacks makes the combat addictive as hell. Bravo, Ninja Theory. Hoping Lords of Shadow 2 has a combat system similar to this.

Will be played until Rising.

Agreed, friend. Then the platforming starts. I probably would have given this a 9 if the platforming was cut down. As it stands now it makes the mission quality very hit or miss. Some are amazing, some I never want to see again.

Dahbomb

I always really liked Nevan myself
It's a good boss fight but just like Griffon it's too pattern based. Like both of the bosses shoot various patterns of projectiles (like old school side scroll shooter games) and you just dodge them appropriately to get in. Still great boss fights overall... people don't know that there are SO many ways to take down Nevan. That fight has a surprising amount of depth to it.

Hint: Nevan against Nevan is a GOOD idea!

Ken

Gamestop only had enough copies for reservations apparently. Guess that makes my decision to go for the PC version easier.

antitrop

Gamestop only had enough copies for reservations apparently. Guess that makes my decision to go for the PC version easier.
I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be able to find a boxed copy if you walked into any Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. GameStop not having enough copies to sell does not surprise me, however.

Ken

I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be able to find a boxed copy if you walked into any Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. GameStop not having enough copies to sell does not surprise me, however.

We don't have any of those three stores here.

Yeah, Nevan and Griffin are my two honorable mentions. I might rank either of them above Mundus, to be honest. Apart from that, I agree with Dahbomb's list entirely, except for the inclusion of the Dante fight (which always felt too weird and non-DMC to me).

Mokudin

Neo Member
He is not supposed to be Vergil any more than DmC Dante is supposed to be DMC Dante. In a reboot/Ultimate universe, not so much.

I find the events of the ending well set up, that was the least problematic part of this game's story.
Everything involving Mundus/Lilith and that horrible exchange scene, that is more likely the source of issues with me...
It was foreshadowed quite well, and lack of detailed communication regarding the "endgame plans" made it possible. It does not make Vergil a bad character, it just makes him an introvert one :p

The twist isn't what ruins him, I was expecting that to happen. What ruins him is how he conducts himself during the ending.

If he wants to rule the humans fine, all he has to do is say nothing and wait for them to come to him, with demons running around it's harder to think of someone better to put in charge than the guy who destroyed Mundus and his system. Instead he broaches the topic in the most idiotic manner possible at the worst moment possible. It's because of him that Dante develops the way he does, it destroys his credibility as an intelligent person to think his brother would have no issues with his plan. Not only that there's no reason for them to fight, Dante isn't racing Vergil to Mundus' secret mind control ray or anything that would add a sense of urgency to make fighting right then necessary, it's something that two characters portrayed as being so close should be able to talk out. It makes their friendship hollow to turn instantly to murder like that.

Dahbomb

Man where is Nero vs Dante 2nd fight? That was beyond fun.
It's in my personal top 10 list. Whenever I see people make these list they always forget about it for some reason. The only reason why the Dante fight isn't higher because it has quite a lot of AI holes in it but other than that... it probably has the most tools out of any AI boss that I know of. It also lacked the drama/build up of a Vergil fight so I guess that's why people don't remember it well.

Andrew.

Banned
Game is fucking awesome, music and mo caps are excellent. I keep replaying the first mission for collection purposes and to get fully acclimated with the controls. Been upgrading like a sonofabitch. New Dante is like Hayden Christensen mixed with Garcia Hotspur. What an eclectic mix.

Never seen such a raw sexual and sleazy introduction to game like this before. Very well done. Applause.

Just finished the first level and I am liking this game very much! My local GS had no more shelf copies and only pre-orders when I went in this evening. Game seems to be selling well so far.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That's strange. I'm wondering what's accounting for that

That's standard practice for Gamestop. On the first day, they'll only have enough for reservations in order to condition their customers into making pre-orders. It's a long term strategy. They'll have more copies in a few days.

It's in my personal top 10 list. Whenever I see people make these list they always forget about it for some reason. The only reason why the Dante fight isn't higher because it has quite a lot of AI holes in it but other than that... it probably has the most tools out of any AI boss that I know of. It also lacked the drama/build up of a Vergil fight so I guess that's why people don't remember it well.
Yeah, it's got an immense moveset, and I do love that about it. It's just that it doesn't feel properly built for the game - Dante reacts weirdly to the Devil Bringer, and I've always had tons of trouble beating him "stylishly" even though he's not super hard to kill normally. I dunno.

Sargerus

Banned
couldn't handle the wait for the PC version so i watched all cinematics on YT, i'm too weak :(

at least finally got my GAF account activated :)

Top Bottom