• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

BTW speaking of Handvseye Gemasis was on IGN dropping some impressions on DmC. He might make content for the game. Hope he does, guy was one of the pioneers of DMC3 tech.

Yeah honestly at some points I was honestly real life laughing at how bad it is. I just remember slashing at the tank boss over and over on the ground (and the tank just kinda sits there shooting at nothing) and I just started laughing. Same with that helicopter boss that is off camera for 75% of the match.

I watched a friend of mine playing DMC 2 and all he did was shoot and swing if the enemies came near.

that shit was sad to see and i have never bothered playing the game

I remember when I saw all those ads for DMC2, with that badass Dante and shit, running on walls, jacket blowing in the wind, guns blazing and thought, "I want it". My mom didn't let me rent it, she was still in that "demons are evil, can't contaminate your mind with this stuff!" 12 year old me was PISSED

22-year old me is forever grateful for that decision. Thank you, mom.

DMC2 looks like one of those fake games you see on a movie. That kinda of shit they threw together real quick and you only see a few glimpses of, before cutting to the kids bobbing back and forth with their controller(because that's how people play video games, just constantly moving around).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I remember when I saw all those ads for DMC2, with that badass Dante and shit, running on walls, jacket blowing in the wind, guns blazing and thought, "I want it". My mom didn't let me rent it, she was still in that "demons are evil, can't contaminate your mind with this stuff!" 12 year old me was PISSED

22-year old me is forever grateful for that decision. Thank you, mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXAKnT3q4k

The fucking commercial was amazing. Must have watched that video a hundred times in the lead up to DMC2. What a sick burn that game was.

Some of the most BIZARRE in-game advertising

jXch1i5p42ggB.jpg

Also, DMC2 came out on Jan. 25th. Same day as DmC PC. COINCIDENCE!?

Anteater

So are the bosses any good in DmC compare to DMC4 and 1? I really dislike the boss in the demo and I hope the other ones aren't like that.

Dahbomb

I have actually played and beaten Chaos Legion. The reason I got the game back in the way because on the back of its cover it had the hype line "if you liked DMC you will love this!" I actually liked the game despite its flaws but I was still moping from DMC2. Chaos Legion was my rebound action game after DMC2.

And yea I will celebrate the DMC2 anniversary by playing DmC on PC.

Rest in shit DMC2.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Yes, it's significantly better IMO.

the opinion of intelligent moss is also that it's better. Because DMC2 was crass, insulting shite that bordered on unplayable by route of boredom.

You seriously have to actually try to do worse. Such a bad game.

Yay I guess that people are liking DmC....

Gonna go home and hug my Dante plushie. Smoke him a bowl. cry together....

My mind is still reeling from what I have experienced with DMC2. I don't know if I have played a game quite like that. I have played tons of bad games but man DMC2 is just bad in a weird way. The fact that it in such a fucking stellar series that I have played a ton of makes it even weirder to me I guess. That sad combo video basically says everything.

Dahbomb

So are the bosses any good in DmC compare to DMC4 and 1? I really dislike the boss in the demo and I hope the other ones aren't like that.
5 out of the 6 bosses are like that. The bosses in this game are underwhelming. Poison is actually the top 3 best boss in the game IMO.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have actually played and beaten Chaos Legion. The reason I got the game back in the way because on the back of its cover it had the hype line "if you liked DMC you will love this!" I actually liked the game despite its flaws but I was still moping from DMC2. Chaos Legion was my rebound action game after DMC2.

Rest in shit DMC2.

Would you recommend it? It looks interesting and the PC version is like $7 on Amazon.

Gonna go home and hug my Dante plushie. Smoke him a bowl. cry together....

Grendel would look down on your crying

Also, Chaos Legion...I don't remember it being that bad. It's one of those games you rent because there wasn't shit else new you wanted to play but you felt you had to play SOMETHING. All I remember was Not-Sepiroth had a hard-on for protagonist guy, turned out he killed love interest himself, dumbass

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Rest in shit DMC2.

I liked Chaos Legion. I wished there were a sequel that fixed the flaws from the first one (Enemy variety, level design, more moves and better rank system ) I still play it every now and then and wonder what would have been if the game got a sequel with improved gameplay. (I liked the story way more than all the DMC games tho)

Would you recommend it? It looks interesting and the PC version is like $7 on Amazon.

I would recommend it at that price. Mind you it might be a bit repetitive but I overall enjoyed it and the premise was pretty cool. If you can appreciate the game despite some shortcomings you shall have fun. PC controllers might take time to get used to since you may know console ports to PC at that time the controllers were a bit messy.

DMC2 was never meant to be a DMC game. Before DMC1 was even completed, Production Studio 1 began making an action game starring a female character using the DMC engine. However, midway through DMC1's development, the amount of hype and attention it was getting garnered sequel production even before DMC1 came out. So they changed unnamed action game starring female character and labeled it DMC2. They added Dante, and development teams switched. Hideaki Itsuno - was brought on to the project late, to salvage what he could since the original director quit.

As you can tell, Lucia actually had the more fleshed out combo system, and the storyline had nothing to do with Dante or the DMC legacy, other than the mention that Dante is "the son of Sparda." When you actually look at it, the above statements make perfect sense. They shoehorned the DMC2 name on it because DMC1 was getting so much attention pre-release, and directors and designers switched midway through.

It was actually Kamiya's intention all along to make DMC2 after he and Mikami finished DMC1, but the suits upstairs decided to work on DMC2 immediately. So quickly, they just renamed the un-named action game already in production. Which is why DMC2 came out so quickly (just a year) after DMC1's release.

Source: Interviews, Hideki Kamiya's twitter, and me - all the little things I've picked up in the past 12 years of reading DMC related interviews, previews and shit like that.

PS: When people often make the joke that Devil May Cry 2 is not a Devil May Cry game, they are - whether they know or it not - have been pretty accurate with that statement all along.

Wow, this makes me wonder if they could've made the Devil May Cry name a sort of "legacy" title, where the protagonists aren't always going to be the same, ala Onimusha.

Dahbomb

$7 is a bit much for it now and I am pretty sure the PC version isn't a great port. Even back in the day the game had archaic design. Its really only saved by having a legion summoning system that I felt was revolutionary for the genre. Game had some epic bosses as well but the game is very repetitive and suffers from having subdued colors.

Cheska

You know how everyone was making fun of how close the resemblance new Dante and Tameem had when he was first announced? Well look at this:

This is Tim Phillips, he's the voice of Dante.
MV5BMTY0Mjg2NTQwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcwMjc2Nw@@._V1._SY314_CR18,0,214,314_.jpg

Doesn't he look eerily similar to Virgil?
devil-may-cry-vergil-400x300.jpg

I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
$7 is too much for it now and I am pretty sure the PC version isn't a great port. Even back in the day the game had archaic design. Its really only saved by having a legion summoning system that I felt was revolutionary for the genre. Game had some epic bosses as well but the game is very repetitive and suffers from having subdued colors.

Ah too bad. x: I guess I can work on 1000/1000ing Bayonetta until Rising comes out then.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Grendel would look down on your crying

Also, Chaos Legion...I don't remember it being that bad. It's one of those games you rent because there wasn't shit else new you wanted to play but you felt you had to play SOMETHING. All I remember was Not-Sepiroth had a hard-on for protagonist guy, turned out he killed love interest himself, dumbass

It's Eppy man ... all he does is shoot drugs, cry and fuck shit up.

"Your tooth in my hand by my side."

Now ... Prime on the other hand...

Dahbomb

Also Chaos Legion was one of those Capcom games that had Hard as its default difficulty for NA like DMC3 Vanilla. Game spikes in difficulty very early, for someone like me that's a strive to get better but for others it's a frustrating experience. I don't recommend against playing the game but I am certain you can get a lot better games for $7 on Steam.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You know how everyone was making fun of how close the resemblance new Dante and Tameem had when he was first announced? Well look at this:

This is Tim Phillips, he's the voice of Dante.
MV5BMTY0Mjg2NTQwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcwMjc2Nw@@._V1._SY314_CR18,0,214,314_.jpg

Doesn't he look eerily similar to Virgil?
devil-may-cry-vergil-400x300.jpg

I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things.
Dante and Vergil are both modeled on Phillips.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think it's just the hair, plus Dante is constantly smirking. Their facial models look exactly the same to me.

Teknoman

Too bad Virgil looks pretty lame with his hat :/

Yeah he should've ditched the hat, went straight combed for 50% of the game and then during the last half go for the spiky/whatever look from DMC3.

Wow, this makes me wonder if they could've made the Devil May Cry name a sort of "legacy" title, where the protagonists aren't always going to be the same, ala Onimusha.

I'd like to see Lucia return if only for the simple fact that she was the coolest looking female character out of everyone so far. Trish is ok, but I dont like her clothes.

EDIT: Actually, if Lucia is more fleshed out...should I just play the game as her? Kinda feel like I should give the game more than the 15 minutes I did last night before just moving to 3SE.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it's just the hair, plus Dante is constantly smirking. Their facial models look exactly the same to me.

It honestly might be, your avatar compared to stupid hat-less vergil looks a lot closer.

Yeah he should've ditched the hat, went straight combed for 50% of the game and then during the last half go for the spiky/whatever look from DMC3.

I'd like to see Lucia return if only for the simple fact that she was the coolest looking female character out of everyone so far. Trish is ok, but I dont like her clothes.

EDIT: Actually, if Lucia is more fleshed out...should I just play the game as her? Kinda feel like I should give the game more than the 15 minutes I did last night before just moving to 3SE.

Lucia has a fuck awful water level dante avoids, though I don't remember much else. 15 minutes is already more than dmc2 deserves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

If you plan on actually completing the game, do whatever you can to unlock Trish as quickly as possible. She's far more bearable to play.

She feels slightly more inline with the combat of the game (but Trish plays the best, you can use a code to unlock her too) but playing as her still sucks. Everything about DMC2 sucks. Unless you like playing the video game equivalent of train wrecks sometimes like me, steer away from DMC2 at all costs.

I mean it is seriously on the territory of like a 1/5 or 2/5 game. It is a DISASTER ZONE. By all accounts it should have been a franchise killer.

Teknoman

She feels slightly more inline with the combat of the game (but Trish plays the best, you can use a code to unlock her too) but playing as her still sucks. Everything about DMC2 sucks. Unless you like playing the video game equivalent of train wrecks sometimes like me, steer away from DMC2 at all costs.

I mean it is seriously on the territory of like a 1/5 or 2/5 game. It is a DISASTER ZONE. By all accounts it should have been a franchise killer.

If you plan on actually completing the game, do whatever you can to unlock Trish as quickly as possible. She's far more bearable to play.

It honestly might be, your avatar compared to stupid hat-less vergil looks a lot closer.

Lucia has a fuck awful water level dante avoids, though I don't remember much else. 15 minutes is already more than dmc2 deserves.

Hmm...well I beat 1 normal mode last night, so looking at what i've played and what you guys have said, I'm probably just going to jump straight to DMC3 since i'm still waiting to join the party with the PC version. At least i'll have time to mess around with Virgil as well (never had Special Edition). One of the few games I started playing and immediately just felt like I wasnt having fun.

Was going back and forth on opening my copy and glad I did. Really impressed and I sunk over 50 hours in DMC3, SE and 4 each. The crazy detail in the levels and visual effects especially stand out. Also like the dynamic camera for combos, adds to the flair.

Anteater

Picked it up for ps3, wish they didn't do the preorder thing with vergil since we have no gamestop.

damn it didn't know there's a mandatory firmware update.

Did the first mission on DMD. Nothing too crazy in terms of enemy waves so far, but a good challenge nevertheless. I died one needless death at the boss fight when he only had a sliver health left.

Top Bottom