• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

So, I finished it.

If you can accept that the combat has definitely slowed down and is a little less fluid, you'll have a good time. Mixing combos between different weapons is still as fun as ever. The middle of the game ramps up considerably in terms of difficulty and flair, and the game starts to get really good. It gets hard enough that I can almost forgive the stupid flashing enemies/weapons to telegraph attacks.

The story had its ups and downs. Dante himself is fine as a character; he has enough of the old stylings while having a bit more heart this time around, and without any "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LLLAAAAAIIIIIGGGGHHTTTTT!!!" to mess up the heartfelt moments. The most tense mission of the game is one where you don't even fight for half of it. Brilliant.

However, the backstory is explained way too quickly, the internal logic regarding Limbo is a bit inconsistent and the final plot twist is both out of nowhere and stupidly telegraphed. There's also a part where Dante somehow messes up where he's meant to be going, which is one of the most laughable moments in writing ever. That it can go from great emotions to silly contrivances pretty quickly is a sign of how the development changed over time, I imagine.

It was fairly short, but at least it didn't repeat any bosses this time around. In fact, there needed to be more. The last two, which should have been climactic, were pretty underwhelming.

Still, overall, I liked it. The essence of the combat is still there, the visual flair is astounding and circumvents a lot of the old UE3 traps and the writing, while inconsistent as hell, works when it gets it right. I'd put it above the demeaning DMC2 and the obtuse DMC 4, but it's still a ways behind 1, 3 or Bayonetta, and it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in a month.

Jintor

Just hit a boss that made me go "WOAH AWESOME"

boss fight itself was nothing special but concept and art behind it was great fun

ZeMMiK

how long did it take you?

So, I finished it.

If you can accept that the combat has definitely slowed down and is a little less fluid, you'll have a good time. Mixing combos between different weapons is still as fun as ever. The middle of the game ramps up considerably in terms of difficulty and flair, and the game starts to get really good. It gets hard enough that I can almost forgive the stupid flashing enemies/weapons to telegraph attacks.

The story had its ups and downs. Dante himself is fine as a character; he has enough of the old stylings while having a bit more heart this time around, and without any "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LLLAAAAAIIIIIGGGGHHTTTTT!!!" to mess up the heartfelt moments. The most tense mission of the game is one where you don't even fight for half of it. Brilliant.

However, the backstory is explained way too quickly, the internal logic regarding Limbo is a bit inconsistent and the final plot twist is both out of nowhere and stupidly telegraphed. There's also a part where Dante somehow messes up where he's meant to be going, which is one of the most laughable moments in writing ever. That it can go from great emotions to silly contrivances pretty quickly is a sign of how the development changed over time, I imagine.

It was fairly short, but at least it didn't repeat any bosses this time around. In fact, there needed to be more. The last two, which should have been climactic, were pretty underwhelming.

Still, overall, I liked it. The essence of the combat is still there, the visual flair is astounding and circumvents a lot of the old UE3 traps and the writing, while inconsistent as hell, works when it gets it right. I'd put it above the demeaning DMC2 and the obtuse DMC 4, but it's still a ways behind 1, 3 or Bayonetta, and it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in a month.

how long did it take you?

Raptr is telling me eight hours, but I don't think it was quite that long. More like six. Maybe it should have been a bit longer, but again, this is the first DMC game that doesn't reuse boss battles, which I will take any day.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Damn that sounds short as hell :/

I like my games like these to have the length of Bayo or NGB, i.e anything between 15-20h the first run through.

Ristlager

Is it me or is some of the controlls really unresponsive? I am having several issues with dodging and high time. 80% of the time Dante is left alone on the ground, when I hold the O button down like a mofo. And he dodges far later than my buttonpress.

Varth

Did the first mission on DMD. Nothing too crazy in terms of enemy waves so far, but a good challenge nevertheless. I died one needless death at the boss fight when he only had a sliver health left.

Yep, I think on the higher levels the difficulty balance really stands out. Accessible, yet compelling. I just think they should have put in some sort of "exam" in the earlier stages of the game or in the training that would let you unlock SOS and DMD sooner depending on your ability.

Mdk7

Just hit a boss that made me go "WOAH AWESOME"

boss fight itself was nothing special but concept and art behind it was great fun

That moment
Bob Barbas?
is nothing but SUBLIME.

Really, it's one of those "i'll never forget that" moments, something so original, unique and well executed you need to give credit to Ninja Theory.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beat it. Loved it. Really shirt though. There were some great, stand out missions. Nine of the bosses were really that challenging but they were all pretty cool to fight.

The last boss fight though.... so much hype. It was Scrub Tuesday at my store, which is fighting game night. Had 4 setups with Marvel 3 in. The fight started and about 20 people just gathered around for it, lol. I have 5.1 hooked to the main setup I was playing on and someone walked up and blasted it.
We have probably the best Vergil player (Sam aka Mihe) and he was doubting his Vergilness. As it went on, people were screaming out each move the first time he did them. RAPID SLAAAAAASH!!! JUDGEMENT CUT!!!!! It was crazy. Best part was when Dante said It isn't too late to go back and Vergil teleports behind him and said Yes it is. Like 3 people yelled out all at once ITS TOO LATE NIGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Anteater

Is it me or is some of the controlls really unresponsive? I am having several issues with dodging and high time. 80% of the time Dante is left alone on the ground, when I hold the O button down like a mofo. And he dodges far later than my buttonpress.

Yea it seems the dodge doesn't cancel some moves right away, or just doesn't cancel out of certain moves, so there's a delay. It feels kind of weird.

Well this game sure looks pretty, I like the visuals as much as I did with uncharted, outside of the character models and animations, the environment looks really nice.

Ken

Found a copy. This game is pretty fun. Vergil seems kind of not cool though. Of course the only exposure I've had to Vergil before this was his UMvC3 version but he seemed pretty cool in that!

Jintor

Yea it seems the dodge doesn't cancel some moves right away, or just doesn't cancel out of certain moves, so there's a delay. It feels kind of weird.

Well this game sure looks pretty, I like the visuals as much as I did with uncharted, outside of the character models and animations, the environment looks really nice.

The inconsistent canceling is killing me. Don't understand why more games don't just follow Bayonetta and allow cancel out of anything. Hell, I'm amazed dodge offset isn't industry standard at this point.

I gotta say I really don't like timing-based combos. Hitting y,y, twiddle thumbs, y to continue bugs me like none other.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The inconsistent canceling is killing me. Don't understand why more games don't just follow Bayonetta and allow cancel out of anything. Hell, I'm amazed dodge offset isn't industry standard at this point.

I gotta say I really don't like timing-based combos. Hitting y,y, twiddle thumbs, y to continue bugs me like none other.

Well in Bayonetta they kinda trained you on the pauses since you can press the next input after she twirls the guns in her hands.

O.DOGG

Wow, I really expected this to suck - Bad! But after reading the reviews it seems it may actually be good. I'm waiting for the PC version to come out in 10 days or so. Will it be infected with GFWL, does anyone know?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wow, I really expected this to suck - Bad! But after reading the reviews it seems it may actually be good. I'm waiting for the PC version to come out in 10 days or so. Will it be infected with GFWL, does anyone know?

The game is Steamworks and in related news Microsoft seems to be killing off GFWL.

Jintor

I've got PC code yo. Steamworks.

Andrew.

Banned
As someone thats now new to the series, I really like the fact you come and go out of levels as you please, carry all of your orbs and upgrades and just grind enemies and sequences out as you see fit. Really, really cool. I know I'm incredibly late to the party in appreciating this. It's allowing me to really get used to (at least) the beginnings of combat. I've only just begun Mission 2.

CELEBRITIES_hayden_christensenV.jpg

pretty much

Curufinwe

As someone thats now new to the series, I really like the fact you come and go out of levels as you please, carry all of your orbs and upgrades and just grind enemies and sequences out as you see fit. Really, really cool. I know I'm incredibly late to the party in appreciating this. It's allowing me to really get used to (at least) the beginnings of combat. I've only just begun Mission 2.

Mission Select is pretty cool. I wonder if any reviews have touted it as a new feature for the series.

Jintor

Just finished for the first time. Definitely itching to go back and tool around in levels, get better scores, higher difficulties etc.

Endgame spoilers
The twist was super-dumb but also kind of expected and I really enjoyed the fight, so... you win some, you lose some.

Andrew.

Banned
Dont know if anyone else said it, but I find this to be one of the best looking UE3 games this gen next to the BioShocks and the Arkham games.

The way that Hurricane ride in Mission 1 is animated as its quickly rotating and how it reflects off the wet ground looks fucking sick.

Carbonox

Finished Son of Sparda and nearly finished Heaven or Hell. Wanted to get Heaven or Hell out of the way before I tackle Dante Must Die and then Hell and Hell.

I don't like how long it takes to get a decent amount of red orbs but for some reason it seems quicker in Heaven or Hell because you're going through enemies like a knife through butter extremely quickly.

Heaven or Hell can be a bit of a pain at times due to shields, boss gimmicks, etc.

Dont know if anyone else said it, but I find this to be one of the best looking UE3 games this gen next to the BioShocks and the Arkham games.

The way that Hurricane ride in Mission 1 is animated as its quickly rotating and how it reflects off the wet ground looks fucking sick.

Console? Because on PC the textures look rather muddy from what we've seen. Art-style is god-tier though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Console? Because on PC the textures look rather muddy from what we've seen. Art-style is god-tier though.
Really? I'm looking at shots here and the textures look perfectly sharp. They're not god tier or anything but they are sharp enough and work well with the art style.

Finally beat the game and I have to say, this Dante with white hair sucks, no matter if it's the joke wig or his own hair.

Also I didn't liked the ending or the final battle or the battle before that, predictable and boring. Great game anyway, looking forward to get bloody palace.

skarabrae

Banned
Just played through this game from mission 1 to 10 and enjoying it. It still features some of the issues of early Unreal Engine games on this gen (textures not loading when the scene finishes loading is a primary example), but the game certainly has made me like this iteration of Dante a lot more. I'm planning to write a full review on it on our website when I'm done with it.

Really? I'm looking at shots here and the textures look perfectly sharp. They're not god tier or anything but they are sharp enough and work well with the art style.

Those? They're not awful or anything and I'd rather have good performance and IQ but he must have gotten that coat from Poundland or something.

Nemesis_

I'm glad someone decided to spoil the final boss battle here and assume it was okay because they were talking about said character
in a different fucking game (MvsC3)
. I kind of suspected but cheers for that, kind of annoyed. :/

For those who've unlocked higher difficulty levels - do I have to beat SoS to unlock the next one? Or are they all available once you finish on Nephilim?

Varth

I'm glad someone decided to spoil the final boss battle here and assume it was okay because they were talking about said character
in a different fucking game (MvsC3)
. I kind of suspected but cheers for that, kind of annoyed. :/

For those who've unlocked higher difficulty levels - do I have to beat SoS to unlock the next one? Or are they all available once you finish on Nephilim?

Any level->SOS->everything else.

Nemesis_

Any level->SOS->everything else.

Cool. Cheers.

I want to get through this so I can play PROPER HARD mode, but I keep getting enticed to backtrack and improve my scores ;_;

I said this before and it has remained true, on Nephilim I've yet to finish a mission and get anything below an S. It's weird. :/

Carbonox

Son of Sparda's decent enough and can be a bit of a pain in the later missions due to remixed enemy combinations. Some are downright irritating.

Can't wait to tackle DMD.

Though with the godly Aquila/Kablooey/Arbiter setup, you're equipped to deal with anything and with stupidly high style totals.

Nemesis_

The game is really fun to play, but fuck if the ranking system isn't just so broken and/or easy to exploit :/

dat Demon Dodge.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The bioshock games are technically really ugly and dated even if the art style helps hide it, but I agree with being surprised how sharp this game looks.

After four missions on DMD I feel like flying enemies with ranged attacks are the only thing that still irritates me. Aiming at them is a bit of a pain, especially when they have shields.
Butchers are also troublesome still. I usually use DT when one of them appears.

Carbonox

After four missions on DMD I feel like flying enemies with ranged attacks are the only thing that still irritates me. Aiming at them is a bit of a pain, especially when they have shields.
Butchers are also troublesome still. I usually use DT when one of them appears.

Flying enemies are bastards without lock-on. Usually gotta get close to them to target them.

Which one is the Butcher enemy again? The normal fat one or the fat one with buzzsaws?

Never liked or got into the original dmc games so this might be great for me. I'm looking for a good action brawler in Xbox and this might be it.

Not sure if I like the art style though, interesting story ideas though.

Flying enemies are bastards without lock-on. Usually gotta get close to them to target them.

Which one is the Butcher enemy again? The normal fat one or the fat one with buzzsaws?

The latter. Haven't figured out how to parry any of their attacks and they don't have any convenient openings. I usually go in for one or two hits and then out again. Takes forever to kill them that way, so I usually use DT.

Carbonox

The latter. Haven't figured out how to parry any of their attacks and they don't have any convenient openings. I usually go in for one or two hits and then out again. Takes forever to kill them that way, so I usually use DT.

Oh they're easy. Use Prop Shredder with the Osiris (Hold L2 and then hit O) when he sends the buzzsaws at you. It parries them and sends them back at him. Run up to him, use Arbiter's Trinity Smash, run away and repeat. That's all you need to do. You should easily end up with an SSS style ranking in battle afterwards as Trinity Smash is ridiculously good. You'll have enough time to get it in before he recovers from the parry stun.

Oh they're easy. Use Prop with the Osiris when when he sends the buzzsaws at you. It parries them and sends them back at him. Run up to him, use Arbiter's Trinity Smash once, run away and repeat. That's all you need to do. You should easily end up with an SSS style ranking in battle afterwards as Trinity Smash is ridiculously good. You'll have enough time to get it in before he recovers from the parry stun.

Alright, I'll try that. Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Oh they're easy. Use Prop Shredder with the Osiris (Hold L2 and then hit O) when he sends the buzzsaws at you. It parries them and sends them back at him. Run up to him, use Arbiter's Trinity Smash, run away and repeat. That's all you need to do. You should easily end up with an SSS style ranking in battle afterwards as Trinity Smash is ridiculously good. You'll have enough time to get it in before he recovers from the parry stun.

I have to give that a shot. I pretty much stopped using Osiris after getting Aquila.

Carbonox

I have to give that a shot. I pretty much stopped using Osiris after getting Aquila.

Yeah Aquila should be a staple of anyone's setup. Extremely helpful primarily because of Round Trip.

I only ever use Osiris when I face the Butcher demons. Prop's parrying capabilities probably help elsewhere but I've yet to test.

Top Bottom