• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did they ever confirm that they would be working on DMC5? I mean, if there's no chance of one ever coming over then people should be happy that at least they'll get some form of Dante, right?

I've enjoyed the previous titles, and I'm definitely enjoying DmC so all in all I'm just a happy camper right now.

They didn't confirm it, but logic would dictate that a new DMC was going to be developed, whether it was Ninja Theory or internally developed. DMC is one of their top 5 selling franchises. It's not something that they will put to rest, and it's not something that was ever over saturated (like the time they put Street Fighter in hibernation).

So, the question of whether a next DMC was coming was never really a question at all. It was a question of who would develop it.

Dahbomb

As far as Capcom milking DMC; they last one was 5 years ago and the one before that, 4

This is the only DMC we'll have for at least that long.
Well they did say they are going to shorten the time in between DMC games going forward.

DMC5 secretly in the works... BELIEVE!!!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I still don't see how running two DMC franchises side by side ala Modern Warfare and Black Ops is a viable solution. I can imagine both games suffering.

Cheska

Well they did say they are going to shorten the time in between DMC games going forward.

Yeah, by Team Ninja

tumblr_m4gaurZ8CV1ructpbo1_250.gif

Risette

A Good Citizen
I still don't see how running two DMC franchises side by side ala Modern Warfare and Black Ops is a viable solution. I can imagine both games suffering.
Why would both games suffer if they're handled by different developers in entirely different universes with entirely different styles?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If DmC and DMC could co-exist, then I wouldn't be so hard on DmC. Spin-offs and side stories happen. Operation Raccoon City happened. But that's just not the case here, and there's little to no evidence that it's a viable solution.

Cheska

If DmC and DMC could co-exist, then I wouldn't be so hard on DmC. Spin-offs and side stories happen. Operation Raccoon City happened. But that's just not the case here, and there's little to no evidence that it's a viable solution.

Yeah, but look what happened with that game. It was a complete abomination :(

ezekial45

Banned
Why would both games suffer if they're handled by different developers in entirely different universes with entirely different styles?

If they're released too close together, than yeah it would be an issue. But if it's the 2.5-3 years apart, then it'll give them breathing room.

Made by Ninja Theory

Dante has a terminal case of swag flu. On his death bed he tells Nero to go look for his dad, he also says, "Go to my closet and grab some weapons. You're boring as fuck, son. CRAZY!!!" then dies surrounded by bitches

Nero has one Angel hand and one Demon hand. The Demon hand is because of Vergil, the Angel hand because of Lady. Vergil hit that when Dante wasn't looking

Why? It's not like the same team would be working on them. More Devil May Cry (of the DMC or DmC variety) would probably be a good thing for Capcom.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I'm pretty sure even if they did this one would go by the wayside eventually.

Agreed. They look entirely different, they are marketed entirely different, even the title logo is different, they also probably appeal to different target audiences.

The critical success of DmC and the hopeful commercial success will likely get Ninja Theory another bid to do a sequel. But given that Dragon's Dogma was probably a flop, Itsuno and company need to be working on something. That something could easily be DMC5.

The release of the games could alternate every year or 1.5 years.

As dahbomb said, Capcom did say they wanted to decrease the amount of time between sequels to major franchises. They also are looking at western games and how they garner success, i.e, quick, almost yearly releases of AssCreed games and Call of Duty.

It will cause brand and character confusion. Sort of like MM.

Not if they properly plan, market and develop the games accordingly. Also there have been WAY too many MegaMan games, it goes far beyond a simple two branching entries of a franchise. Furthermore, these different MegaMan games have drastically wavered in quality. MegaMan would be a bad example of putting out multiple series of the same franchise, Call of Duty is probably a better example on how to do it better. Black Ops is clearly the Black Ops brand, and the other is clearly Modern Warfare. There surprisingly is very little confusion even down to the most casual, dudebro mountain dew drinking gamer. It all depends on how Capcom and Ninja Theory approach it.

EDIT: I'd like to also add that these various MegaMan games were all developed by Capcom if I'm not mistsaken, that - by virtua - give those games a similar, 'soul' if you will. There is clearly a massive difference in tone, theme and character between Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry and Capcom's Devil May Cry. It'd be pretty hard to even remotely call them samey.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, but look what happened with that game. It was a complete abomination :(

Well, that's what I mean, though. Operation Raccoon City was an experiment. A test. There was never a question that the franchise was going to be handed off to a Western developer, just that they would be allowed to work within the universe for a bit. What happened in Operation Raccoon City stayed in Operation Raccoon City, without destroying or otherwise handicapping other aspects of the franchise (which they arguably did anyway).

Even if DmC turned out pretty good, I'm still pissed about NG. That series has been downhill since NGB, and NG3 was hot-ass GARBAGE. DMC2 tier, nigga.

Now they making NGZ with the super team of Team Ninja x Spark Unlimited

"From the makers of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Lost Planet 3"

fuck

Well, that's what I mean, though. Operation Raccoon City was an experiment. A test. There was never a question that the franchise was going to be handed off to a Western developer, just that they would be allowed to work within the universe for a bit. What happened in Operation Raccoon City stayed in Operation Raccoon City, without destroying or otherwise handicapping other aspects of the franchise (which they arguably did anyway).

You say that like ORC is the only Resident Evil spinoff, though.

Dahbomb

Even if DmC turned out pretty good, I'm still pissed about NG. That series has been downhill since NGB, and NG3 was hot-ass GARBAGE. DMC2 tier, nigga.

fuck
NGZ is actually real? WTF...

ezekial45

Banned

fuck

Yeah, that was unfortunate. I still think Team Ninja has the talent to make some good games, because DOA5 was pretty good and turned out well. They just need to go back to their roots and not turn NG into something it's not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You say that like ORC is the only Resident Evil spinoff, though.

I didn't mean to. But the logic still applies to any spin-off title of any game series. Resident Evil was just the freshest in my mind. There's little to no cross-contamination between titles and mainline games.

Is there like some articles of how the disaster zone that is DMC2 actually got made - or some hints towards its creation or something? I had only played about half of the game before with Dante but I recently got the HD collection (thanks GuardianE) and gave it a thorough playthrough and I just can't believe how bad it gets. Going through the bloody palace just shows how unfun and poorly thought out the combat is in the game. After playing the other games extensively over the years playing DMC2 is so weird, like every bad decision for an action game wrapped into one package.

I am not sure how I missed out on the game too, I remember playing DMC1 not too far after release and got into DMC3 on release. I am not sure what tipped me off to not get DMC2 but I am thankful for it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

fuck

Come on now. Haven't we learned to at least give things a chance?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Like Dahbomb mentioned, I can't imagine a DMC5 that doesn't borrow elements from DmC. The platforming is here to stay, the transforming sword is too unless you can find another way to give OG Dante the Devil Bringer mechanic. You have to keep evolving both franchises while trying to keep them separate and equal at the same time.

I just got the DMC2 platinum. I think I have psychological damage now after that bloody palace. Oh my god....

Finishing DMC2 on bloody palace deserves credit. I'm god like at DMC, but not at DMC2. I can't even finish DMC2's bloody palace even if I wanted to. Those fucking goat things that just spew lighting sperm all day just get too fucking annoying. I could abuse DDT, but whatever.

Random: Anyone have a link to any swag DMC2 combo video? I have never seen one.

Team Ninja

Yosuke Hayashi – Team Ninja head
Kohei Shibata – Dead or Alive 5 director
Fumihiko Yasuda – Ninja Gaiden 3 director
Hirohisa Kaneko – Dead or Alive team
Peter Garza – overseas producer
Naoki Tamura – Ninja Gaiden 3 level designer

Spark Unlimited

John Garcia Shelton – producer of Legendary
Toby Gard
Richard Smith – art director at Spark Unlimited
Cary Hara – technical director at Spark Unlimited
Charles Babb
John Swift

Comcept

Keiji Inafune – Head of Comcept
Shinsaku Ohara – co-producer of Dead Rising 2
Masahiro Yasuma – game designer on the Mega Man: Star Force series
Shinsuke Komaki – illustrator on Mega Man Battle Network & Star Force
Nick Yu

Look, I've been wrong before but...

...goddamnit, man

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is there like some articles of how the disaster zone that is DMC2 actually got made - or some hints towards its creation or something? I had only played about half of the game before with Dante but I recently got the HD collection (thanks GuardianE) and gave it a thorough playthrough and I just can't believe how bad it gets. Going through the bloody palace just shows how unfun and poorly thought out the combat is in the game. After playing the other games extensively over the years playing DMC2 is so weird, like every bad decision for an action game wrapped into one package.
It was originally some other game that Capcom told the team making it "okay, make this DMC2" after the success of DMC because they wanted a sequel and they wanted it quick. Then the original director left/got fired and Itsuno came in at the end of the development cycle to try to salvage the wreck. It didn't work.

Every aspect of the game is hilariously incoherent, from the level design to the enemies to the bosses, etc. It's an unfinished game that was reskinned and you can tell.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Finishing DMC2 on bloody palace deserves credit. I'm god like at DMC, but not at DMC2. I can't even finish DMC2's bloody palace even if I wanted to. Those fucking goat things that just spew lighting sperm all day just get too fucking annoying. I could abuse DDT, but whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLpnoKVRUHo
For what it's worth.

DMC2 Bloody Palace was abysmal. At least you could use Trish and items.

I could see Devil May Cry 5 happening next gen from Capcom. It would be a great way to test out the new consoles.

If Devil May Cry happens once or twice a gen from Capcom and DmC fills the gaps I wouldn't mind much.

I got to floor 9000 for the trophy and called it quits (I could have finished it, but it is so god damned boring). It basically boils down to abusing cheap ranged moves for the most part, none of the characters have the proper tools to handle the assortments of enemies and amount of them in bloody palace (the goats that spam lightning is the worst).

Too bad Virgil looks pretty lame with his hat :/

Yep being saying that ever since they first showed it.

He doesn't rock that shit at all.

I'm willing to concede that DmC is a decent game. I was willing to concede months ago that it would be critically acclaimed and likely meet their sales projections. I also don't think that the most recent reception, regardless of how happy it makes you, excuses your previous actions as what essentially amounts to the role of a tenacious viral marketer.

And while you're celebrating the perceived success of this title (which may or may not be true sales-wise), you also celebrate the death of a franchise that defined and revolutionized this entire genre. The death of characters and settings that were unique and refreshing in a market filled with gritty soldiers, brown-haired caucasian everymen, and Hollywood cinematic experiences.

Classic DMC is still important to me. Maybe you've forgotten what its done, but I haven't. The series truly was something special, and now it simply is. I've played the demo extensively. I will rent the game at some point. I don't expect my opinion to change. DmC's existence is not worth the sacrifice of DMC. It never was, and it never will be.

I contend that a lot of people in here were desperate for another Stylish Action game and this one filled a necessary void for them. Launch day hype is a powerful thing. Let's see how things shake out in the end. I'm not giving up yet.

slowclap.gif

NGZ is actually real? WTF...

Yep with Spark Unlimited at the helm along with Inafune

Dahbomb

Team Ninja

Yosuke Hayashi – Team Ninja head
Kohei Shibata – Dead or Alive 5 director
Fumihiko Yasuda – Ninja Gaiden 3 director
Hirohisa Kaneko – Dead or Alive team
Peter Garza – overseas producer
Naoki Tamura – Ninja Gaiden 3 level designer

Spark Unlimited

John Garcia Shelton – producer of Legendary
Toby Gard
Richard Smith – art director at Spark Unlimited
Cary Hara – technical director at Spark Unlimited
Charles Babb
John Swift

Comcept

Keiji Inafune – Head of Comcept
Shinsaku Ohara – co-producer of Dead Rising 2
Masahiro Yasuma – game designer on the Mega Man: Star Force series
Shinsuke Komaki – illustrator on Mega Man Battle Network & Star Force
Nick Yu

Look, I've been wrong before but...

...goddamnit, man
Oh it's that Inafune ninja zombie game (was called something else). Didn't know it was NG related. Is it even an action game like NG or is it like a different kind of game?

I am not sure how I missed out on the game too, I remember playing DMC1 not too far after release and got into DMC3 on release. I am not sure what tipped me off to not get DMC2 but I am thankful for it.

DMC2 was never meant to be a DMC game. Before DMC1 was even completed, Production Studio 1 began making an action game starring a female character using the DMC engine. However, midway through DMC1's development, the amount of hype and attention it was getting garnered sequel production even before DMC1 came out. So they changed unnamed action game starring female character and labeled it DMC2. They added Dante, and development teams switched. Hideaki Itsuno - was brought on to the project late, to salvage what he could since the original director quit.

As you can tell, Lucia actually had the more fleshed out combo system, and the storyline had nothing to do with Dante or the DMC legacy, other than the mention that Dante is "the son of Sparda." When you actually look at it, the above statements make perfect sense. They shoehorned the DMC2 name on it because DMC1 was getting so much attention pre-release, and directors and designers switched midway through.

It was actually Kamiya's intention all along to make DMC2 after he and Mikami finished DMC1, but the suits upstairs decided to work on DMC2 immediately. So quickly, they just renamed the un-named action game already in production. Which is why DMC2 came out so quickly (just a year) after DMC1's release.

Source: Interviews, Hideki Kamiya's twitter, and me - all the little things I've picked up in the past 12 years of reading DMC related interviews, previews and shit like that.

PS: When people often make the joke that Devil May Cry 2 is not a Devil May Cry game, they are - whether they know or it not - have been pretty accurate with that statement all along.

It was originally some other game that Capcom told the team making it "okay, make this DMC2" after the success of DMC because they wanted a sequel and they wanted it quick. Then the original director left/got fired and Itsuno came in at the end of the development cycle to try to salvage the wreck. It didn't work.

Every aspect of the game is hilariously incoherent, from the level design to the enemies to the bosses, etc. It's an unfinished game that was reskinned and you can tell.

Yeah honestly at some points I was honestly real life laughing at how bad it is. I just remember slashing at the tank boss over and over on the ground (and the tank just kinda sits there shooting at nothing) and I just started laughing. Same with that helicopter boss that is off camera for 75% of the match.

DMC2 was never meant to be a DMC game. Before DMC1 was even completed, Production Studio 1 began making an action game starring a female character using the DMC engine. However, midway through DMC1's development, the amount of hype and attention it was getting garnered sequel production even before DMC1 came out. So they changed unnamed action game starring female character and labeled it DMC2. They added Dante, and development teams switched. Hideaki Itsuno - was brought on to the project late, to salvage what he could since the original director quit.

As you can tell, Lucia actually had the more fleshed out combo system, and the storyline had nothing to do with Dante or the DMC legacy, other than the mention that Dante is "the son of Sparda." When you actually look at it, the above statements make perfect sense. They shoehorned the DMC2 name on it because DMC1 was getting so much attention pre-release, and directors and designers switched midway through.

Source: Interviews, Hideki Kamiya's twitter, and me - all the little things I've picked up in the past 12 years of reading DMC related interviews, previews and shit like that.

Yeah I noticed Lucia definitely fit better into the game. I think Trish was actually probably the best playing character on the disc (due to not having no awkward extraneous dodge moves, no awkward extraneous in air moves, everything about her feels better than the other characters by a country mile - but still feels awful though).

Top Bottom