• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

BadAss2961

It won't matter how many copies DmC sells, they'll never recoup the costs of paying off every, single person out there. ;)
I haven't received payment yet. I'm gonna hate to the bitter end.

So, OG DMC fans that like DmC... How would you grade the characters, story, and overall universe compared to the old one?

Dahbomb

The game's quality is pretty spotty. Missions 1-4 and 11-13 are EXCELLENT. Then you've got some some mediocre bosses and the platforming focused level design sprinkled throughout. Personally I don't think Missions 5-10 are any better than 14-19.
I sort of liked the missions that built up to the Bob fight. The whole upside down world was very nice. But yea the Virility factory was a weak point in the game. 1-4 with addition of 12 and 13 are definitely the best parts of the game. I don't mind 16-18 either.

theREALItsuno @Itsuno WOW just completed DmC! The series is in good hands! Congratulations Ninja Theory!

i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg

Well. There is your confirmation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wasn't that huge into the level design/art style at first. Kind of looked the same to me. Then I got to
the soda factory
and loved it.

Ghazi

I'm so confused on whether to get this or not, opinions seem so inconsistent on it. I think I'll wait until the MGR:RR demo comes out and play it and the DmC demo. I haven't played the DmC demo yet either. Is the demo an accurate representation of the game? What should I e expecting when I go into it?

Dahbomb

I haven't received payment yet. I'm gonna hate to the bitter end.

So, OG DMC fans that like DmC... How would you grade the characters, story, and overall universe compared to the old one?
DmC is better explained and developed than previous DMC games but lacks any sort of spark. Technically it's better than DMC1 and definitely better than 4 but I feel DMC3 had spark and was more satisfying. There is so much boring exposition in DmC and not enough godly scenes in terms of drama or just plain old action fun. Mundus is a pretty good main villain as the game truly succeeds in making you hate him but they really fell flat with Vergil's character. Because of these elements the climax to DMC3 is far more satisfying than the one in this game. I felt they did a good job in setting up the premise and the world but failed to live up to their own potential. Making Dante/Vergil Nephilim amounted to nothing in the game, it was a creative liberty they took with the game yet they failed to do anything interesting with it.

I have to narrowly give DMC3 the edge in story, characters and cutscene with DmC in second. The characters and cutscene in DMC3 were iconic... I have already started forgetting Vergil's lines in DmC (except for the dick joke).

Dahbomb

I'm so confused on whether to get this or not, opinions seem so inconsistent on it. I think I'll wait until the MGR:RR demo comes out and play it and the DmC demo. I haven't played the DmC demo yet either. Is the demo an accurate representation of the game? What should I e expecting when I go into it?
Yea it's an accurate representation of the game especially the combat. Expect solid combat, nice art design and replay value from the demo.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I liked Vergil up until the end. Vergil the brains, Dante the muscle, Kat with her magic. The 3 heroes each had a nice role going there.

I'm guessing ToS was a huge DmC naysayer or prominent part of the DMC fanbase?

t'warms my heart to see DMC3 & 4 fans like myself enjoying the combat for what it is too

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Don't worry, you'll be joining us in the moonlight.

I'm willing to concede that DmC is a decent game. I was willing to concede months ago that it would be critically acclaimed and likely meet their sales projections. I also don't think that the most recent reception, regardless of how happy it makes you, excuses your previous actions as what essentially amounts to the role of a tenacious viral marketer.

And while you're celebrating the perceived success of this title (which may or may not be true sales-wise), you also celebrate the death of a franchise that defined and revolutionized this entire genre. The death of characters and settings that were unique and refreshing in a market filled with gritty soldiers, brown-haired caucasian everymen, and Hollywood cinematic experiences.

Classic DMC is still important to me. Maybe you've forgotten what its done, but I haven't. The series truly was something special, and now it simply is. I've played the demo extensively. I will rent the game at some point. I don't expect my opinion to change. DmC's existence is not worth the sacrifice of DMC. It never was, and it never will be.

I contend that a lot of people in here were desperate for another Stylish Action game and this one filled a necessary void for them. Launch day hype is a powerful thing. Let's see how things shake out in the end. I'm not giving up yet.

BadAss2961

DmC is better explained and developed than previous DMC games but lacks any sort of spark. Technically it's better than DMC1 and definitely better than 4 but I feel DMC3 had spark and was more satisfying. There is so much boring exposition in DmC and not enough godly scenes in terms of drama or just plain old action fun. Mundus is a pretty good main villain as the game truly succeeds in making you hate him but they really fell flat with Vergil's character. Because of these elements the climax to DMC3 is far more satisfying than the one in this game. I felt they did a good job in setting up the premise and the world but failed to live up to their own potential. Making Dante/Vergil Nephilim amounted to nothing in the game, it was a creative liberty they took with the game yet they failed to do anything interesting with it.

I have to narrowly give DMC3 the edge in story, characters and cutscene with DmC in second. The characters and cutscene in DMC3 were iconic... I have already started forgetting Vergil's lines in DmC (except for the dick joke).
Interesting...

I was hoping i'd be able to avoid this game altogether, but now I know that'll be impossible. Curiosity's got me.

Dahbomb

That "you all" statement better not be directed at me boy!!! OG DMC is still the king of stylish action and my #1 wish for next gen is to get a DMC5.

BadAss2961

I'm willing to concede that DmC is a decent game. I was willing to concede months ago that it would be critically acclaimed and likely meet their sales projections. I also don't think that the most recent reception, regardless of how happy it makes you, excuses your previous actions as what essentially amounts to the role of a tenacious viral marketer.

And while you're celebrating the perceived success of this title (which may or may not be true sales-wise), you also celebrate the death of a franchise that defined and revolutionized this entire genre. The death of characters and settings that were unique and refreshing in a market filled with gritty soldiers, brown-haired caucasian everymen, and Hollywood cinematic experiences.

Classic DMC is still important to me. Maybe you've forgotten what its done, but I haven't. The series truly was something special, and now it simply is. I've played the demo extensively. I will rent the game at some point. I don't expect my opinion to change. DmC's existence is not worth the sacrifice of DMC. It never was, and it never will be.

I contend that a lot of people in here were desperate for another Stylish Action game and this one filled a necessary void for them. Launch day hype is a powerful thing. Let's see how things shake out in the end. I'm not giving up yet.
Well put.

ezekial45

Banned
Well I've been ignoring your flags of approval for stuff before DmC has existed. O:

Ouch. :(

If that's how you truly feel, then I won't argue with you about it. There'd be no point to. I sincerely hope you someday get to play DMC5.

Dahbomb

You know one thing I have to say is that even in the off chance that Capcom decides to make DMC5 after this, the stuff they changed or added in DmC will invariably make it into DMC5 as well. I have a feeling that puzzles will be removed from DMC5 in favor of platforming. I certainly didn't miss them.

I mean, 4 is still good, too!

The combat system is great but to be honest I need more than that. Even if the core gameplay mechanics are still good I think the repeated levels and bosses are really disappointing. I certainly wouldn't say DmC's core combat is better than 4, but I'm definitely having more fun playing DmC than I ever did playing 4, if that makes sense. So far in my eyes it's 1>3>DmC, although 1 and 3 can flip depending on my mood.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That "you all" statement better not be directed at me boy!!! OG DMC is still the king of stylish action and my #1 wish for next gen is to get a DMC5.

You're generally the most level headed person in these discussions, naturally, but I think you're a bit too optimistic of how Capcom will treat its IPs. After all, didn't you make a bet that Capcom would provide an update to UMvC3 within a year? They treat their fanbases like trash on a whim and seemingly without logic.

I am a dirty filthy person who has now thoroughly enjoyed and will continue to enjoy DMC 1, 3, and DmC.

Yep, same here, you can enjoy DmC and enjoy the old ones too, there is enough potential in DmC and NT as a developer to make DmC2 closer to DMC3 gameplay standards, I personally have faith.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You're generally the most level headed person in these discussions, naturally, but I think you're a bit too optimistic of how Capcom will treat its IPs. After all, didn't you make a bet that Capcom would provide an update to UMvC3 within a year? They treat their fanbases like trash on a whim and seemingly without logic.
Why would Capcom milk one DMC franchise when they could milk two?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You know one thing I have to say is that even in the off chance that Capcom decides to make DMC5 after this, the stuff they changed or added in DmC will invariably make it into DMC5 as well. I have a feeling that puzzles will be removed from DMC5 in favor of platforming. I certainly didn't miss them.

ibhzJr6Y7oitQG.gif

ezekial45

Banned

That's my thinking too. They seem to have a good opportunity on their hands with this franchise. The fact that's one of their best reviewed games in years is a great indicator for them. And the game should be prove to sell solidly.

This is also the first Ninja Theory game I've enjoyed. The performances in Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were great but they were pretty poor imitators of God of War and Uncharted respectively. At least DmC is a pretty excellent, in depth imitation of DMC's style.

Also, NT's cruddy writing at least works well with a story as stupid as Devil May Cry's. At least it knows it's silly, as opposed to Enslaved which was cringeworthy. It took itself so damn seriously.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Again, Capcom makes really poor business decisions. It goes beyond a meme now. It's really just the truth. Having two franchises running at once requires a level of sophistication that I don't believe Capcom is capable of.

Outsourcing takes less work for them. Lately they've been passing off their established franchises to Western studios in an attempt to foster new IPs. And pump all titles out faster, too.

Cheska

That's my thinking too. They seem to have a good opportunity on their hands with this franchise.

Did they ever confirm that they would be working on DMC5? I mean, if there's no chance of one ever coming over then people should be happy that at least they'll get some form of Dante, right?

I've enjoyed the previous titles, and I'm definitely enjoying DmC so all in all I'm just a happy camper right now.

Dahbomb

We don't really know the licensing issues behind UMVC3 so it's hard to say what's going on there. Capcom absolutely treats their fans like shit at times. It's really hard to guess what will happen with the DMC series from here on out. It's very possible that Capcom acquires NT, have them work on another project while also help on a DMC5. Or they can make DmC2. Ideally we would have both but that is extremely unlikely. I just think it's premature to assume OG DMC dead in the waters especially if DmC sells less than DMC4 putting Capcom is a curious situation.

I wish I could forget the dick joke. Considering they last saw each other when they were 7, vergil and dante must have been having dick measuring contests pretty early. Weird family. :p

As far as Capcom milking DMC; they last one was 5 years ago and the one before that, 4

This is the only DMC we'll have for at least that long.

ezekial45

Banned
Did they ever confirm that they would be working on DMC5? I mean, if there's no chance of one ever coming over then people should be happy that at least they'll get some form of Dante, right?

I've enjoyed the previous titles, and I'm definitely enjoying DmC so all in all I'm just a happy camper right now.

No, but they've pulled back on the complete reboot stuff and said that it was another "arm" of the franchise. What they have made clear is that they're open to a variety of options; such as going back to the older series, sticking with DmC, or even doing BOTH games off and on.

I personally am inclined to think they'll do both.

Top Bottom