• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

.la1n

I'm glad someone decided to spoil the final boss battle here and assume it was okay because they were talking about said character
in a different fucking game (MvsC3)
. I kind of suspected but cheers for that, kind of annoyed. :/

For those who've unlocked higher difficulty levels - do I have to beat SoS to unlock the next one? Or are they all available once you finish on Nephilim?

Yeah that was pretty irresponsible.

Mike M

Nick N
Fucking Lost Souls... I hear them everywhere, but I can only find a few per given mission, no matter how much exploring and rotating of the camera I do...

Carbonox

Fucking Lost Souls... I hear them everywhere, but I can only find a few per given mission, no matter how much exploring and rotating of the camera I do...

Yeah it can be annoying. I plan on using a guide for them and the keys/secret mission locations. Though I have most of the Lost Souls/keys/secret missions already luckily.

ttocs

Flying enemies are not hard to target at all. Lock down is not needed for them, you can use manual targeting.

When there are a couple enemies on the ground and a couple enemies in the air, it gets touch targeting the enemies in the air. For instance, I was in a battle with a couple ground enemies and a few flying ones with shields. I needed to get those shields out of their hands by hooking them but I kept pulling the enemies on the ground closer to me. I'm sure with more practice I'll get to a point where I can pinpoint the enemies I want to target but it is tough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing I find really nice is the upgrade system in this. Being able to try moves before you buy and remove upgrades you don't want at will is fantastic. I hope this becomes a staple of the genre.

ttocs

One thing I find really nice is the upgrade system in this. Being able to try moves before you buy and remove upgrades you don't want at will is fantastic. I hope this becomes a staple of the genre.

It really is. Even for moves I know I'll like and use I still use it to get some practice in before using it in battle.

Dahbomb

Beat it. Loved it. Really shirt though. There were some great, stand out missions. Nine of the bosses were really that challenging but they were all pretty cool to fight.

The last boss fight though.... so much hype. It was Scrub Tuesday at my store, which is fighting game night. Had 4 setups with Marvel 3 in. The fight started and about 20 people just gathered around for it, lol. I have 5.1 hooked to the main setup I was playing on and someone walked up and blasted it.
We have probably the best Vergil player (Sam aka Mihe) and he was doubting his Vergilness. As it went on, people were screaming out each move the first time he did them. RAPID SLAAAAAASH!!! JUDGEMENT CUT!!!!! It was crazy. Best part was when Dante said It isn't too late to go back and Vergil teleports behind him and said Yes it is. Like 3 people yelled out all at once ITS TOO LATE NIGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
This brings a tear to my eye.

Vergil hype transcends genres.
Although the actual fight wasn't all that great though.

Being able to try moves before you buy and remove upgrades you don't want at will is fantastic. I hope this becomes a staple of the genre.
This was in DMC4 as well. So yeah it is already a staple.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Beat it. Loved it. Really shirt though. There were some great, stand out missions. Nine of the bosses were really that challenging but they were all pretty cool to fight.

The last boss fight though.... so much hype. It was Scrub Tuesday at my store, which is fighting game night. Had 4 setups with Marvel 3 in. The fight started and about 20 people just gathered around for it, lol. I have 5.1 hooked to the main setup I was playing on and someone walked up and blasted it. We have probably the best Vergil player (Sam aka Mihe) and he was doubting his Vergilness. As it went on, people were screaming out each move the first time he did them. RAPID SLAAAAAASH!!! JUDGEMENT CUT!!!!! It was crazy. Best part was when Dante said It isn't too late to go back and Vergil teleports behind him and said Yes it is. Like 3 people yelled out all at once ITS TOO LATE NIGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

*dead*

I'm going to find ways to say that all day now.

The boss fights are definitely starting to get old. Succubus on DMD is basically the same as it is on any other difficulty.
Even though I still get a chuckle out of being called a disgusting fuck child for the third time...

Dahbomb

The boss fights are definitely starting to get old. Succubus on DMD is basically the same as it is on any other difficulty.
Even though I still get a chuckle out of being called a disgusting fuck child for the third time...
People think that whole Fuck You exchange scene is terrible and all.. but honestly it's some of the most fun I had in the game in terms of the cutscenes. At first I thought it was juvenile, now I think it's hilarious in an extremely tongue and cheek manner.

DihcarEM

Yeah it can be annoying. I plan on using a guide for them and the keys/secret mission locations. Though I have most of the Lost Souls/keys/secret missions already luckily.

They are not hard to find at all. Found all the remaining keys,secret missions and lost souls today and all i did was explore the levels thoroughly. Sadly i didn't get anything out of it but achievements.

Mike M

Nick N

Yeah, I'm not doing do great on keys and secret missions either. Clearly some things are only accessible after revisiting a level with new items, but not to the degree that I'm missing : (

I'm consistently pulling B rank missions with a smattering of A-rank because I get low ranks for completion and time from all the fruitless searching...

ezekial45

Banned
People think that whole Fuck You exchange scene is terrible and all.. but honestly it's some of the most fun I had in the game in terms of the cutscenes. At first I thought it was juvenile, now I think it's hilarious in an extremely tongue and cheek manner.

Context is everything.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

It's one of the only memorable cutscenes in the game along with (late game spoiler)
Vergil making a dick joke.
It's still pretty bad but kind of fun in the absurdity of it all.

Yeah, I don't know what NT's intention were, but her foul language is pretty amusing.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, that exchange is really discontiguous with the rest of the game that I've seen. Dante is considerably more low key and restrained than that.

Kouichi

Beat it. Loved it. Enjoyed it more then DMC4, but not as much as DMC3:SE. Maybe Vergil's Downfall will change that. Here's my pros and cons:

Pros:
+Great combat. It may not fully live to the DMC standards, but it's still fun as hell and retains a lot of what makes the DMC combat my favorite in the hack & slash genre.
+Good story. Nothing special, but I liked the cast of characters espcially Dante, Vergil, and Kat. The dialogue with Dante and Vergil in the last few missions were great. All three were well-written characters.
+ Environment. Beautiful, vibrant, and fun to transverse through.
+ Platforming. As simple as it was, I had fun grappling and angel dashing around the awesome environments.
+Aquila <3

Cons
-Color-coded enemies ruined the otherwise great flow of the combat.
-Bosses. As cool as some of them looked, they were boring to fight. Bob and the final boss were the only fun ones.
-No lock-on :(
-Final mission.
I understand they tried to get the DMC3 hype into the game with a final Vergil fight, but the sudden heel turn seemed so random and forced. The boss fight was great, but I felt it was unnecessary to make Vergil evil from the context of the story. I loved Dante and Vergil's brotherly relationship. Maybe Vergil's Downfall will change my mind. Also the ending was just...what? Almost looked like it accidentally got cut off at the end.

I'm going to start SoS and try to get even better. I cannot wait for Vergil's Downfall though. Also, as much as I'd rather want a DMC5, I would be alright with a DmC 2. Ninja Theory did a great job so far and they can easily improve on a lot of areas.

I just beat the game and is was tons of fun. Going back for completion and to better my play

The ending really felt um...thrown out there no?

Vergil wanting to rule didn't have much build up or hardly any. I mean you knew he was a douche or letting Kat sacrifice herself during the raid. He drops a sentence then boom fight starts. Wish they built the hype more before

Still a fun last fight though.

ezekial45

Banned
Really curious to know how much input Alex Garland had on the story since he is credited as a "Story Supervisor".

They mentioned that he tightened up some aspects of the plot, tweaked some of the dialogue, and offered some input in other areas. That's pretty much it.

Andrew.

Banned
They mentioned that he tightened up some aspects of the plot, tweaked some of the dialogue, and offered some input in other areas. That's pretty much it.

Still pretty cool though. Always thought he was a talented dude after reading The Beach. I like how he is subtley attached to NT now. He DID write or at least come up with the story to Enslaved.

Since the wait is killing me, I've been playing DMC4 most of the time. Can we please have style change in the sequel (DmC2 or DMC5 with Nero) with the same announcer? SWORDMASTER!

Ein Bear

Huh, I thought Bloody Palace was going to be Day 1 DLC? Am I wrong, or is it just the EU PSN Store people being terrible as per usual?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Those? They're not awful or anything and I'd rather have good performance and IQ but he must have gotten that coat from Poundland or something.
You can't really judge textures from those shots, though. The first shot has motion blur in the foreground, the second shot places the camera very near the floor, and the third shot uses depth of field. Textures all look fine elsewhere.

Dahbomb

Do the enemies put up any kind of a fight on the DMD difficulty?
They overwhelm you with sheer tankiness and numbers. Only a couple of enemies provide an actual fight. It also becomes sort of tricky with colored enemies spread in between regular enemies. It all comes down to picking off one any at a time usually going from strongest to weakest.

Played some of this last night after exchanging my PS3 copy to another EB Games that had a couple of 360 copies left.

Wow! I absolutely love this game!! I had to pull myself away from it as I really want to fully savour it. I can’t say that about many recent titles. Fantastic job by NT here. I’ve always thought that they were a unique and talented developer (emphasis being on unique). DmC has catapulted them to another level in my eyes. This game is right up there with my favourite action titles so far and really makes me hope that this sells well enough for a sequel. If Ninja Theory is on in at the helm again, count me in!

Camera can be a huge annoyance when you have 2 or 3 big monsters that require special attacks. Other than that its a fun game but I don't suspect to pick it up again once I finish it.

Top Bottom