• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

That feel when I really want to play DmC but Redbox isn't carrying it and Gamefly hasn't shipped it

KVG2k.jpg

ultron87

Played the first four levels yesterday. Having a great time. I find Dante far more likable then I ever would have expected.

I wish Nephilim difficulty was a little harder.

I've never been one to master combat in these games, but the one thing I'm definitely noticing is that I'll often angel pull my way to the guy I'm not intending due to the no lock on. Especially if I have a guy up above that I'm trying to juggle and just launched higher and there's another guy on the ground. It almost always zips me to the ground guy.

Here are vids of my brother beating four bosses on DMD with no damage. Sadly the bosses are a joke compared to the previous DMC(in particular Dmc1,3.).

You call them a joke. I call them fun rather than controller breakingly frustrating. I love me some DMC but the bosses were usually a different story. I'll never understand the sub-culture of sadomasochism that some gamers will expose themselves to and doggedly claim that anything else isn't worth their time. The same folks that love the Souls series I would wager.

Different strokes.

Mike M

Nick N
You call them a joke. I call them fun rather than controller breakingly frustrating. I love me some DMC but the bosses were usually a different story. I'll never understand the sub-genre of sado-masochism that some gamers will expose themselves to and doggedly claim that anything else isn't worth their time. The same folks that love the Souls series I would wager.

Different strokes.

I love Dark Souls, but am not any sort of high level DMC player and hate the shit out of many of the bosses (Fucking Nightmare... Ugh). They're different beasts though, Dark Souls is a far more plodding pace and penalizes carelessness, DMC seems to be punative against anyone without pitch-perfect execution and timing.

Dahbomb

You call them a joke. I call them fun rather than controller breakingly frustrating. I love me some DMC but the bosses were usually a different story. I'll never understand the sub-genre of sado-masochism that some gamers will expose themselves to and doggedly claim that anything else isn't worth their time. The same folks that love the Souls series I would wager.

Different strokes.
Ok bro.

None of the bosses in a DMC game were "controller breakingly frustrating" especially on the easy/normal difficulties. Excuse us for asking a modicum of challenge from BOSS fights especially when pretty much every other game provides easy mode "press A" to win boss fights.

Honestly speaking the enemies provide a higher challenge in DmC than the bosses. The bosses ARE a joke. It's one thing for them to be easy on Normal but for them to be a easy on DMD is well (the hardest difficulty in the game)... a joke.

DihcarEM

You call them a joke. I call them fun rather than controller breakingly frustrating. I love me some DMC but the bosses were usually a different story. I'll never understand the sub-cultere of sadomasochism that some gamers will expose themselves to and doggedly claim that anything else isn't worth their time. The same folks that love the Souls series I would wager.

Different strokes.
On the easier modes sure, but DMD is specifically designed to push the best gamers to the limit. Mainstream gamers move on quickly, hardcore gamers can stick with a single game for years. That's why we still received gameplay from Dmc1,3 and 4 long after the game came out.

Darkdeus

yea i still don't like the design but I'm glad to hear his character is not that bad. I'll definitely pick up the game at some point.

Ok bro.

None of the bosses in a DMC game were "controller breakingly frustrating" especially on the easy/normal difficulties. Excuse us for asking a modicum of challenge from BOSS fights especially when pretty much every other game provides easy mode "press A" to win boss fights.

Honestly speaking the enemies provide a higher challenge in DmC than the bosses. The bosses ARE a joke. It's one thing for them to be easy on Normal but for them to be a easy on DMD is well (the hardest difficulty in the game)... a joke.

Whatevs. I guess I just have a strong distaste for bosses in general. I feel like they're an old, outdated and tired device originally intended to articially lengthen a game thereby giving the (false) impression of value. If they were removed completely from the medium, I'd be ecstatic.

Like I said - different strokes, bro.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whatevs. I guess I just have a strong distaste for bosses in general. I feel like they're an old, outdated and tired device originally intended to articially lengthen a game thereby giving the (false) impression of value. If they were removed completely from the medium, I'd be pretty damn happy.

Ugh, what a terrible opinion. Bosses themselves aren't a broken mechanic. They're just generally done poorly. You happen to be playing a franchise that has always excelled at them.

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah, I'm surprised at how much I'm liking his character. Still has the casual disregard for physics in cutscenes and a bit of the wiseass factor, but has a much larger range of emotions (though still not a lot) compared to OG Dante.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Whatevs. I guess I just have a strong distaste for bosses in general. I feel like they're an old, outdated and tired device originally intended to articially lengthen a game thereby giving the (false) impression of value. If they were removed completely from the medium, I'd be ecstatic.

That's great and all, but nothing you say holds true for anything except bad bosses, which the bosses in the praised DMC games don't fall under.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks - this is now copy and pasted on my "Dunderhead Quote Top-Ten List for 2013". Cheers.

No problem. Terrible opinions exist. Generally the people who argue otherwise are those with terrible opinions.

Here are vids of my brother beating four bosses on DMD with no damage. Sadly the bosses are a joke compared to the previous DMC(in particular Dmc1,3.).
4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzA1JKDJVPU

Thanks for posting this. I wanted to see how this played out in DMD. Pretty weak.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ok that's it for me...Barbas fight is a huge pain in the ass,have fun guys I am out.

Just watch the DMD video up there for tips.

The main problem with the bosses is how easily all of them are exploited by things like Demon Evade, Overdrive, and Trinity Smash. You can beat basically all of them with those 3 moves. Demon Evade is way too powerful even on DMD.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also, thankfully we belong to a community where folks whom write smart and constructive posts and those like yourself can coexist.

Let's be fair. I told you why I think your opinion is a bad one. If I just said "terrible opinions, yo" you might have a leg to stand on, but instead you took one statement out of context just so you wouldn't have to address the rest.

Let's be fair. I told you why I think your opinion is a bad one. If I just said "terrible opinions, yo" you might have a leg to stand on, but instead you took one statement out of context just so you wouldn't have to address the rest.

You think my opinion is terrible. I (obviously) don't. Where's the discussion?

25th can't come soon enough.
Any word on BP? Is it going to be a single lame arena with random mobs, or will they change up the arenas and put their own twist on BP. Capcom said it will come shortly after the release...perhaps we'll get BP on the 25th as well?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wondering if we're going to be able to preload this game so we can play this when it's the 25th or I have to wait forever to download this sucker.

Dahbomb

Thanks for posting this. I wanted to see how this played out in DMD. Pretty weak.
The enemies are 10x the challenge that those bosses are on DMD mode. A slightly stronger enemy does more damage than the final boss...

I really think that DMD bosses are bugged or something.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
25th can't come soon enough.
Any word on BP? Is it going to be a single lame arena with random mobs, or will they change up the arenas and put their own twist on BP. Capcom said it will come shortly after the release...perhaps we'll get BP on the 25th as well?

The screenshots on the website show different arenas but not much else is known.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
You call them a joke. I call them fun rather than controller breakingly frustrating. I love me some DMC but the bosses were usually a different story. I'll never understand the sub-culture of sadomasochism that some gamers will expose themselves to and doggedly claim that anything else isn't worth their time. The same folks that love the Souls series I would wager.

Different strokes.
Very few people pick up on it, but DMC had some MegaMan in its DNA.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You think my opinion is terrible. I (obviously) don't. Where's the discussion?

I dunno. I suppose we could dwell on your insecurities and overly defensive posture, based on both your responses to both DahBomb and myself. Or you could explain why DMC's bosses were alleged time wasters or falsely valued vs. DmC's bosses, which I can only assume is because you don't like challenging yourself in games.

It really does. I loved the subtle elemental weaknesses in DMC3.

The enemies are 10x the challenge that those bosses are on DMD mode. A slightly stronger enemy does more damage than the final boss...

I really think that DMD bosses are bugged or something.

Well, I didn't see how much damage he does, but his patterns are boring and repetitive. I guess I was just expecting more. Maybe even DMD only attacks.

Yeah. That sounds about right. Actually, my first real exposure to MegaMan was fairly recent - on PSN with MM9. That is frustration made flesh!

I guess I'm just not that kind of gamer. Never have been - not my idea of fun.

I dunno. I suppose we could dwell on your insecurities and overly defensive posture, based on both your responses to both DahBomb and myself. Or you could explain why DMC's bosses were alleged time wasters or falsely valued vs. DmC's bosses, which I can only assume is because you don't like challenging yourself in games.

Insecurities? That's golden.

Shame on me for coming off as defensive when some nobody from a random message thread calls my opinion, which I clearly stated as so, as horrible.

Get bent.

Andrew.

Banned
Can't wait to get home and jump into that training arena. I really want to get good at the combat. Just by playing the first mission I was getting incredibly anal at my performance ratings.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't wait to get home and jump into that training arena. I really want to get good at the combat. Just by playing the first mission I was getting incredibly anal at my performance ratings.

Did they nerf the Style point increase from E&I or increase the damage they do? Is it still possible to sit at SSS and farm points?

Should've said touche for style points brah.

Gotta mix it up to maintain rank.

Lunar15

Honestly, the Polygon review has been one of the fairer viewpoints, and very much in line with what I'm hearing from this thread. I know that site isn't well loved here, but I've begun to come around to it.

Top Bottom