• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sheit, the style system is really just as busted as the demo. Demon dodge + trinity smash is damn near an instant SSS and due to the changes made once that is obtained you stay in it unless you get hit. I'll try E&I to see if you can farm style during this.

Just died five times playing mission 16 DMD. Some nasty enemy waves there and some dumb mistakes too. The most annoying were 2 Drekavac + 1 Witch at the beginning. Was pretty difficult to prioritize one of them when they would constantly teleport all over the place and randomly get the blue shield.

Dahbomb

Sheit, the style system is really just as busted as the demo. Demon dodge + trinity smash is damn near an instant SSS and due to the changes made once that is obtained you stay in it unless you get hit. I'll try E&I to see if you can farm style during this.

Did they nerf the Style point increase from E&I or increase the damage they do? Is it still possible to sit at SSS and farm points?

You can still get SSS for final rank using that method but it's not the most efficient. The multiplier from SSS rank timer is 8x so you need to finish the mission in that time. You can definitely use whatever farming method during that time though. Damage from guns is still ass but you can upgrade them to make them do slightly more damage. Basically it's unchanged from the demo both the rankings and the mechanics.

While you can still "cheese" the game to get SSS rank on all the missions (except for the bosses, you need to play that a bit more legit) you have to play efficiently to rank high on the leaderboards. Unless some extra exploit is discovered. Basically you just need to get your rank up to SSS asap and then kill fast without getting touched. That's the name of the game.

The most annoying were 2 Drekavac + 1 Witch at the beginning. Was pretty difficult to prioritize one of them when they would constantly teleport all over the place and randomly get the blue shield.
Use a Charged Round Trip on the Witch, it basically disables her. Yea fighting 2 Dreks is a pain, you need to be on your toes.

Honestly, the Polygon review has been one of the fairer viewpoints, and very much in line with what I'm hearing from this thread. I know that site isn't well loved here, but I've begun to come around to it.
I read the review and you are right, it's pretty fair. Although this is my first time hearing about this Polygon site.

Andrew.

Banned
While you can still "cheese" the game to get SSS rank on all the missions...

How? I'll take all the pointers I can get. The highest I've gotten is S and I've only beaten Mission 1. Ive got a bunch of upgrades though (E/I is already at lvl 3, I've got that dash stab with the flurry attack at the end etc)

V_Arnold

You can still get SSS for final rank using that method but it's not the most efficient. The multiplier from SSS rank timer is 8x so you need to finish the mission in that time. You can definitely use whatever farming method during that time though. Damage from guns is still ass but you can upgrade them to make them do slightly more damage. Basically it's unchanged from the demo both the rankings and the mechanics.

While you can still "cheese" the game to get SSS rank on all the missions (except for the bosses, you need to play that a bit more legit) you have to play efficiently to rank high on the leaderboards. Unless some extra exploit is discovered. Basically you just need to get your rank up to SSS asap and then kill fast without getting touched. That's the name of the game.

It is either that I misunderstand you or I am not, but then you have outdated/false knowledge on how the ranking system works.

There are two factors to consider. One is to simply rank SSS, the other is to rank high.
The game does not care whether your time is SSS: 8 min or SSS: 7 min 30, so if you can do it in 7:30, but with less style points accumulated, you will rank lower than those that were a bit slower but got more style.

Now, moving on. For each level, NT has set up threshholds: x, y,z . X is the needed score for "SSS" combat rank, Y is the needed time for SSS time, and Z is the needed point to get an overall SSS rank on the mission.

Which means that it does not matter if you are touched or not during 7 out of 8 fights, for example, if you accumulate 200,000 style points in one fight at a mission where 200,000 is the threshhold for SSS rank. It also does not matter if you score SS on combat portion or SSS in combat portion, if your score*time*completion (100% always gives SSS, we know that) exceeds the value of Z, you will get an SSS mission rank - but you might not score as high on the leaderboards as others who did better :p

The very top of the leaderboards for every stage WILL be those dudes that are not only efficient with time (SSS), but can get absolutely SSS-ranked combat scores as well. Then they are followed by those who got an overall SSS rank, but either the combat or time was simply SS.

So, my point is: if you are good at getting the points in a combat, it does not matter if you finish the combat with a B , a D or a nothing score - you will still get SSS if you reach the threshhold.

Dahbomb

How? I'll take all the pointers I can get. The highest I've gotten is S and I've only beaten Mission 1. Ive got a bunch of upgrades though (E/I is already at lvl 3, I've got that dash stab with the flurry attack at the end etc)
The first thing you need to do before trying to for SSS rank is to get 100% completion on every mission. This is automatically an SSS rank for that parameter.

The next step is mastering the art of Demon Dodge. Hold R2 + dodge button during an enemy attack. If you did it with timing, your next attacks will be powered up. Hit a group of enemies with any large area effect move (Drive, Osiris moves, Trinity Smash) for instant SSS style points. From this point on, focus on not getting hit and just dish out damage as fast as you can. You should basically start every encounter by just standing there waiting for an enemy attack and then Demon Dodge, after which you go ham.

For the time parameter, use the Air Glide very low to the ground to traverse through flat areas quicker. The Angel dodge also gets you more range on your glide so use that as well.

I already know all of that. I am just talking, about SSS ranks here. You don't need SSS rank in every parameter but it helps for the overall score. You also don't need high stylish points to get SSS rank or even continuously be on SSS grade all the time during combat... but again it helps.

As far as ranking high on Leaderboards go, you not only need to get maximum possible style points but you need to also do it in the time it takes to SSS rank on time. This is not the concern of anyone here for the time being but you can cheese through to get SSS ranks.

V_Arnold

Tricks to also consider to get that SSS rank:
1) Wait with stinger and only use it once or twice with Trillion Stabs once you reached an SSS in a single fight. A trillion stab done with SSS modifier grants you around 6-9k points within 3 seconds.
2) If you know that an enemy is almost dead, use your slowest/biggest hitter on it, preferrably a demon weapon. You will get the full points from the weapon damage, even though it is overkill.
3) If you are doing the demon dodge trick, make sure that you actually switch up the demon weapons once you repeat the process a second time in the fight - that way you get no diminishing returns :p
4) Kablooey! :p

So what weapon/ability did you guys rank up first? I've been trying to evenly distribute them.

For me, it was Rebellion first, all the way till it was maxed. Then some launchers/throws for angel/demon, then Kablooey and Aquila. Aquila is the key!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So what weapon/ability did you guys rank up first? I've been trying to evenly distribute them.

I maxed Rebellion on the first playthrough. Besides that, I didn't really think about it. I think I have Osiris and Arbiter near max right now along E & I and the Shotgun.

Andrew.

Banned
The first thing you need to do before trying to for SSS rank is to get 100% completion on every mission. This is automatically an SSS rank for that parameter.

The next step is mastering the art of Demon Dodge. Hold R2 + dodge button during an enemy attack. If you did it with timing, your next attacks will be powered up. Hit a group of enemies with any large area effect move (Drive, Osiris moves, Trinity Smash) for instant SSS style points. From this point on, focus on not getting hit and just dish out damage as fast as you can. You should basically start every encounter by just standing there waiting for an enemy attack and then Demon Dodge, after which you go ham.

Great advice man. Is the Demon Dodge available at the start or is it something that's given to you eventually?

V_Arnold

Does Dmc has goty 2013 nominee potential at least? I don't think it'll win, but do you seeing it nominated quite a bit?

Games from first quarters in the year have usually zero to very low chances to be not forgotten by the time GOTY comes. Except for streamlined cinematic experiences like Mass Effect 3.

I would say that in the eyes of the hack'n'slash fans, IF Bloody Palace is done right and if Vergil is great, it does have the potential. And if somehowe Bayonetta does not make it in 2013, or it sucks. I would cry if that happened, though.

Best case scenario, we have 2 amazing hack'n'slash games in a year. Damn.

Papercuts

Use a Charged Round Trip on the Witch, it basically disables her. Yea fighting 2 Dreks is a pain, you need to be on your toes.

I read the review and you are right, it's pretty fair. Although this is my first time hearing about this Polygon site.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Top of the leaderboard material will need to max combat and time while other people could scrub up SSS but still be much lower due to the modifier.

Does demon dodge work on everything? I haven't used it on yellow charging enemies, though I'm assuming it does.

Dahbomb

Does Dmc has goty 2013 nominee potential at least? I don't think it'll win, but do you seeing it nominated quite a bit?
Depends on what else is coming up in the year. If MGR ends up being godly and Bayonetta 2 also releases late 2013... then it's going to be stiff competition for DmC. Plus people tend to forget games that came out earlier in the year just like it is with the Oscars. I am sure sites which gave it a really high score might consider it but those that gave it in the 8s probably will not.

Does demon dodge work on everything? I haven't used it on yellow charging enemies, though I'm assuming it does.
It works on every enemy move in the game. But to break the yellow charge on enemies you need to use a powerful move. Eryx charged up moves or the Kablooey explosions can knock that charge off of them.

V_Arnold

As far as ranking high on Leaderboards go, you not only need to get maximum possible style points but you need to also do it in the time it takes to SSS rank on time. This is not the concern of anyone here for the time being but you can cheese through to get SSS ranks.

This is where I disagree :D
It is very possible that one might at one point consider whether to get the most points out of combat OR that SSS rank in time.

The formula is something like this: difference between SS and SSS time rank multiplier is exactly 1. 7 vs 8. So if you can get more than 1/7th of your score in exchange for being late from that SSS, but in time for SS, then you will be ahead of those that neglected that score gain in combats in order to get the SSS time. Sum of combat score is God in this game :D

(I speak about this because I am in top 15 in quite a few maps on Nephilim, with SSS. Not that invested in the game to try to stay in there forever, but it feels good to reach that, I guess :D)

Dahbomb

Yeah I am not contesting that either but it's basically like you need to get SSSS rank for stylish points (in terms of how many more stylish points you have to get to compensate for a slower time) with SS on time to compete with someone who gets SSS on both.

We'll have to see at what point does the style/time ratio begin to sway. Like is it possible for me to score higher than someone who got SSS on both with merely an A in time? Maybe but I doubt I can score higher than him with a D in time.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I might be wrong but didn't GB not consider D3 in their GOTY even though they gave it a perfect score?

You're right, they didn't consider D3 in their deliberations. They enjoyed other games more than that at the end.

I'm interested in what you meant by "perfect score". What exactly do you mean by that other than they gave it 5/5 stars?

Dahbomb

You're right, they didn't consider D3 in their deliberations. They enjoyed other games more than that at the end.

I'm interested in what you meant by "perfect score". What exactly do you mean by that other than they gave it 5/5 stars?
I don't mean anything by it, they gave it a 5/5 just like they gave DmC a 5/5. Both are I would say controversial games coming out early in the year. I am saying it's possible that they will enjoy other games more than DmC by the year's end.

Just beat the demo boss. Pretty awesome ending too that.

It's a pretty fun game overall.

One thing that does bug me is the "you can only beat the enemy one way" enemies. The game gives you a great arsenal only to take them away at random intervals.

I enjoy the fights against the fodder a lot but then a fatasses show up or those flying fuckers. The ice and fire dudes aren't too bad (fire guys don't do shit and I love the angle scythe).

But when you are flowing it's pretty damn cool.

That's definitely the big flaw to me right now tho....let me swag out man.

I'm probably gonna pick up the HD collection after this...just to see if I can beat DMC3 finally. Maybe I am less free now...

V_Arnold

Yeah I am not contesting that either but it's basically like you need to get SSSS rank for stylish points (in terms of how many more stylish points you have to get to compensate for a slower time) with SS on time to compete with someone who gets SSS on both.

We'll have to see at what point does the style/time ratio begin to sway. Like is it possible for me to score higher than someone who got SSS on both with merely an A in time? Maybe but I doubt I can score higher than him with a D in time.

Yeah, it is different for every level, as it is pure math.
Consider a 200,000 score as the basic score.
200k*7(SS) = 1,4 mill
200k*8(SSS) = 1,6 mill.
250k*7(SS) = 1,75 mill.
300k*6(S) = 1,8 mill
350k*5(A) = 1,75 mill
400k*4(B) = 1,6mill

I would say that to truly dominate the leaderboards on certain maps, this needs to be considered. One good example that comes into my mind is the level when you get the devil trigger. The SSS thresshold is quite low for that level, around 180k combat score, if I remember correctly. The main fight in that level is agains that 3 chainsaw guys in the other realm. If one just pops devil trigger and does not style that, then it is easy to miss that point. But if I take 1-2 minutes to combo with only angel weapons/rebellion/all rifles, then the final score would be substantionally bigger, maybe in the 280k+ range. THAT definitely warrants dropping in the time range, even down to S.

From my example, it feels like only SSS vs SS or SSS vs S is something to be considered, the dropoff at A and lower starts to hurt more and more, so you would need substantially more gains to justify that.

Well, the question really is: how much is a high-level combo actually worth on an average mob, and how much can one do before they start dying easily....

EDIT: Enemies of style gains are the color coded ones. Good players will use DT on them to be able to combo on them with different weapons as well. Demon Dodge -> trinity-> DT activation > demon grab -> stylish combo , finished with a stinger is pure GOLD. :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I might be wrong but didn't GB not consider D3 in their GOTY even though they gave it a perfect score?

When Brad tweeted that it was mostly a joke because of all the controversy in the comments about him liking the game.

It very well might be a GotY contender, but no one will know that until about November.

He was mostly just poking fun.

Raxus

Man, I really need to work on my demon dodge. I press it a second too soon most of the time :(

I always find it funny I do worse on easier difficulties because I wait around for people to attack me. I would say just go crazy on easy mode and work on dodging on the harder difficulties/enemies.

Ricker

Huh, what exactly is giving you trouble? It's barely even a fight. You're mostly just avoiding pretty obvious laser beams.

Well I was trying to jump over the beams and it never seems to get the beat right...I will try demon evade instead of jumping I guess...near the end,after 2 first phases,I got a trick to do the jump and move forward thing that helped me reach the red circles you need to smash on the ground,so that might help me at the start also...I just hated it because of how fast your health goes down if you get hitby those stupid beams...plus,I hate a game with so many controls but I am getting use to them now.

EDIT: Also why is my B attack that sends them in the air doesn't automatically send me in the air so I can juggle them up there?...the try move does it but in game it's not working for me,I have to press B and jump with A then attack with Y...

Papercuts

Most GB dudes aren't even interested in this type of game. I'm not sure if anyone besides Brad will even really play it.

Yeah, that's the most damning aspect. Brad may love it, but it's very hard for it to have much of an appearance unless most of the crew played it. On many sites a lot of people aside from the reviewer given the game probably won't touch it, which is a shame but is also apparent in other genres like Fighting games.

Metal Gear might be able to break that mold due to the franchise, but I'm not sure.

Dahbomb

200k*7(SSS) = 1,4 mill
400k*4(B) = 1,6mill
This is the most interesting comparison. On one end someone can just get the minimum stylish points and quickly beat the mission for 1.4 million points.

In the other example, the guy has to get TWICE as many stylish points to make up for his time differential. Now what needs to be deciphered is how much longer he is taking here. If say the SSS rank threshold for a mission is 20 minutes and the B rank is 12 minutes then the person with the worse time is working harder to try to compensate for the style point differential. If the B rank threshold is 8 minutes then the guy who finished it faster was doing more work as he could've used twice as much time to build that 400K yet still be in B or higher range for time.

I am thinking this would be more clear once we know the time + style point parameters for each mission. Then the people who care about Leaderboards can analyze where they can skimp on... style points or time. More than likely people will skimp on time because I really doubt people can finish an SSS rank time mission of 20 minutes in under 8 minutes for example yet people can very easily go beyond the SSS style point threshold (I have seen people go ten times higher).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah, that's the most damning aspect. Brad may love it, but it's very hard for it to have much of an appearance unless most of the crew played it. On many sites a lot of people aside from the reviewer given the game probably won't touch it, which is a shame but is also apparent in other genres like Fighting games.

Metal Gear might be able to break that mold due to the franchise, but I'm not sure.

I don't know, Jeff and Patrick both seemed really interested, and generally if Jeff really likes a game, Ryan tends to give it a shot and follow suit.

Vinny is usually open to almost anything.

I could see something happening late in the year with DMC if they all end up enjoying it.

V_Arnold

This is the most interesting comparison. On one end someone can just get the minimum stylish points and quickly beat the mission for 1.4 million points.

In the other example, the guy has to get TWICE as many stylish points to make up for his time differential. Now what needs to be deciphered is how much longer he is taking here. If say the SSS rank threshold for a mission is 20 minutes and the B rank is 12 minutes then the person with the worse time is working harder to try to compensate for the style point differential. If the B rank threshold is 8 minutes then the guy who finished it faster was doing more work as he could've used twice as much time to build that 400K yet still be in B or higher range for time.

I am thinking this would be more clear once we know the time + style point parameters for each mission. Then the people who care about Leaderboards can analyze where they can skimp on... style points or time. More than likely people will skimp on time because I really doubt people can finish an SSS rank time mission of 20 minutes in under 8 minutes for example yet people can very easily go beyond the SSS style point threshold (I have seen people go ten times higher).

Yeah, it definitely varies with each mission. I think that mob health is actually more restricting with style points, not the time. At certain points, one cant really effectively prolong fights and gain enough points as well to compensate.

Dahbomb

Yeah, it definitely varies with each mission. I think that mob health is actually more restricting with style points, not the time. At certain points, one cant really effectively prolong fights and gain enough points as well to compensate.
E&I spam. Also the grapples, dodge, parry and various other "non attacks" also count towards style point. If it's worth it, people will find a way to exploit it.

Hmm... What still holds? From what I have gathered so far was positive reactions, granted I only read the last couple of pages.

I haven't played the game yet (don't plan to until bargain bin used copies appear) but from videos it looks like all of the bosses are absolute garbage. Also if you have played action games a fair amount it looks like none of the encounters will provide any challenge on any difficulty (outside of scoring and even that seems iffy).

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm morbidly curious about the sales numbers for this game. Such an insane dev cycle when it comes to peoples opinions and feelings about every aspect of everything in the game.

Again. Glad ya'll are liking it for sure. Anyone completed a 2nd run through? How long does it take you when you know the bosses/levels/patterns? Does it drop down significantly from that initial 8 hour playtime I was hearing?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmm... What still holds? From what I have gathered so far was positive reactions, granted I only read the last couple of pages.
Bosses are easy, color coded enemies screw up combat pacing, and no lock on makes flying enemies more annoying than they should be.

Those are my only real complaints though.

Dahbomb

My review is in the OP of the review thread. Here are some of the stuff that I feel are the negatives of the game. I will spoiler it in case I accidentally let something slip or if people just don't really care for the bad stuff:

*Combat is still "dumbed down" from previous DMCs even if it's the best part about the game
*Game is generally a lot easier than previous DMC games throughout all difficulties
*No lock on is a bummer as are 2 dodge buttons
*I am pretty sure once people get the PC version, the 30FPS console versions will be looked down upon. The difference is startling.
*Devil Trigger is lazy as hell in terms of design and mechanics
*A lot of generic looking robotic enemies. There are some exceptions but the general look of a lot of the enemies isn't all that. The enemy introduction clips also are boring.
*Bosses are mechanically very shallow and fail to provide any challenge, even on the hardest difficulty.
*Story, characters and writings do not live up to their own premise. It doesn't even live up to the standard of a NT game. The ending is extremely anti-climactic and I feel Vergil's character was not done justice at all (even within the context of this new Vergil).
*Quite a few really bad or embarrassing cutscenes. No real epic, legendary action cutscenes that you want to watch over and over again.
*A lot of weird bugs in the game. Enemies sometimes don't start up their AI, there have been spots during the platforming where I have been stuck and had to restart etc.
*The platforming really gets boring as the game progresses and there is a shit ton of easy mode platforming that basically shuts your brain off.
*Colored coated enemies are an abomination. Probably one of the worst things in the game.
*Most of the weapons lack personality or just don't look that good. Their acquisition videos are extremely lackluster as well.
*Soundtrack is very wubdub heavy and if you aren't a fan of that style/genre you will be getting headaches throughout the game
*Style grading system is still broken and by extension the ranking system is broken as well.
*Various moves and abilities are too powerful and there is very little attention given to the balance in the game. Demon Dodge is broken, Round Trip is TOO good, Pop Shredder makes Parry brain dead etc.
*DLC costumes
*No taunts
*Some missions are a lot better than others. Missions # 1-4 are excellent, 5-9 were meh, 11-13 was godly and everything after that was extremely ho-hum.

I haven't played the game yet (don't plan to until bargain bin used copies appear) but from videos it looks like all of the bosses are absolute garbage. Also if you have played action games a fair amount it looks like none of the encounters will provide any challenge on any difficulty (outside of scoring and even that seems iffy).

Oh wow, I guess that's why it pays to read more into it :D

I was going to wait either way, since rising is on the way.

Top Bottom