• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

It's pretty disheartening to know that users will go out of the way and give the game a score that doesn't even remotely represent what the game is. I'm sure NT will be disappointed by the fan reception due to this. It's pretty sad really.
People who haven't played the game yet and are just hating for the sake of hating (or haven't received their money hats yet). You can easily tell who has played the game and who hasn't. Anyone who says crap like DMC2 > DmC should be put on auto ignore or made fun of.

Half of them would not even complain and probably dig the game if they played it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Metacritic user reviews are one of the worst things ever. Damn near every game gets completely dumped on.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
People who haven't played the game yet and are just hating for the sake of hating (or haven't received their money hats yet). You can easily tell who has played the game and who hasn't. Anyone who says crap like DMC2 > DmC should be put on auto ignore or made fun of.

Half of them would not even complain and probably dig the game if they played it.

While this could be true, the fact still remains that the number is extremely and that in of itself is sad.

Dahbomb

I think anyone who has a brain and goes to Metacritic would have a red flag go up when they see the critic average at 85-86 and the user average at 3.

A game that deserves a 3 is fucking Trigger Man.

kayos90

It doesn't pose a problem for you because you are a consumer and not a developer or publisher. Wink.

Just because it doesn't pose a problem for him or other consumers doesn't mean he shouldn't care about it though.

I think anyone who has a brain and goes to Metacritic would have a red flag go up when they see the critic average at 85-86 and the user average at 3.

It doesn't matter if the game plays like a three though. It matters that there are users willing to go out of the way who would do such a thing and if I were a dev and I saw that, I'd be sort of disappointed.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
People think that whole Fuck You exchange scene is terrible and all.. but honestly it's some of the most fun I had in the game in terms of the cutscenes. At first I thought it was juvenile, now I think it's hilarious in an extremely tongue and cheek manner.

Nice to see you guys are coming around to the game for the same reasons I did. That was the moment I fell in love with the absurdity of it all.

Papercuts

Nice to see you guys are coming around to the game for the same reasons I did. That was the moment I fell in love with the absurdity of it all.

I hated the scene in the demo but felt it works a lot better in the full game. Frankly I wish there was more absurdity on a similar level considering most of the other cutscenes to the point I'm at have pretty much been standing around spewing exposition.

Dahbomb

I realize that but you have to realize that this level of cheese is what people used to hate the last 2 DMC games for as well. Not only that but the way NT hyped the game up, it seemed like they would stay clear of cheese and present a more serious, in depth and mature story.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There was a cutscene in the game where my TV said 3D signal detected. I was too slow to grab the glasses but is this known?

The part where Dante's mother talks to him

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just because it doesn't pose a problem for him or other consumers doesn't mean he shouldn't care about it though.

It doesn't matter if the game plays like a three though. It matters that there are users willing to go out of the way who would do such a thing and if I were a dev and I saw that, I'd be sort of disappointed.

Newsflash to all devs and also literally everyone who is on the internet: there are terrible people who will say terrible shit about pretty much anything. Ignore them.

kayos90

Newsflash to all devs and also literally everyone who is on the internet: there are terrible people who will say terrible shit about pretty much anything. Ignore them.

I'm not saying this is new or people shouldn't ignore them. By all means they should ignore them. Still doesn't mean we should be completely apathetic to the situation.

ezekial45

Banned
Anyway, I know people were a bit let down by the bosses, but I actually a lot of fun with the Bob Barbas fight. It was really cool change of pace for the series' bosses. It was very creative too.

Dahbomb

I really hated those camera sequences. I hope to god they don't throw in color coated enemies in DMD during that encounter because it would be impossible to see colors as the footage is in black and white.

kayos90

I really hated those camera sequences. I hope to god they don't throw in color coated enemies in during that encounter because it would be impossible to see colors as the footage is in black and white.

I'm sure they didn't. lol.

Papercuts

I'm only up to mission 7 but I'm surprised at the amount of bosses so far, seems very low to only have 2 under my belt now.

Esura

Banned

There are people who like DMC2 you know.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What I was getting at is that these pathetic attempts at sabotage could have an influence on people interested in the game that aren't not in the know.

It could have an influence, but on how many people, realistically? There's positive word of mouth out there, too, and it's from "official" sources. A person who is interested in DmC will see the 86 metacritic or the relatively good score at some particular site before they see the rantings of the hardcore holdouts (who represent a small number of people to begin with).

You're enjoying the game, some people are being dicks about it, there's nothing you can do, and you shouldn't give a shit because YOU DO NOT WORK FOR NINJA THEORY.

Did you keep yourself up at night worrying about Fallout 3 when the No Mutants Allowed contingent flipped their shit? Somewhere out there on the internet, someone is making an unfair judgment of a video game as we speak. Why do you care so much about DmC in particular? That's a rhetorical question. We've basically had this conversation before.

Anyway, I know people were a bit let down by the bosses, but I actually a lot of fun with the Bob Barbas fight. It was really cool change of pace for the series' bosses. It was very creative too.

Have you ever said anything that could be construed as negative or critical about any facet of this game?

Papercuts

If they can back up their reasonings sure they can.

DMC2 is literally broken on so many basic design levels that would be one hell of a crazy argument. Enemies like the infected tank are the complete antithesis of fun.

ezekial45

Banned
It could have an influence, but on how many people, realistically? There's positive word of mouth out there, too, and it's from "official" sources. A person who is interested in DmC will see the 86 metacritic or the relatively good score at some particular site before they see the rantings of the hardcore holdouts (who represent a small number of people to begin with).

You're enjoying the game, some people are being dicks about it, there's nothing you can do, and you shouldn't give a shit because YOU DO NOT WORK FOR NINJA THEORY.

Did you keep yourself up at night worrying about Fallout 3 when the No Mutants Allowed contingent flipped their shit? Somewhere out there on the internet, someone is making an unfair judgment of a video game as we speak. Why do you care so much about DmC in particular? That's a rhetorical question. We've basically had this conversation before.

Wow. Suffice it to say, I am annoyed by all this nerd rage, especially when the game is actually pretty great in its own right (after finally playing). That's all, I'm not losing sleep over worrying about this game, I'm not spending every waking minute thinking about it, and I am not in the slightest as emotionally invested in this game as you think I am.

Have you ever said anything that could be construed as negative or critical about any facet of this game?

No, I'd like to be able to finish the game first. But I will say now that the PS3 version is disappointing.

Sounds like you've got something you'd like to admit to the group. When did you first realize you liked DMC2? How did that make you feel?

A few follow-up questions:

-Have you came out to your parents about your positive feelings towards DMC2?

-Were you under the influence of any drugs or substances in your playthrough(s!?) of DMC2? Studies show that the rare fans suffer from mild case of hallucionation, where one encounters gameplay so bad they convince themselves it was actually good as a coping mechanism.

-Was your favorite boss the demonic helicopter 1, demonic helicopter 2, or building face man?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
A few follow-up questions:

-Have you came out to your parents about your positive feelings towards DMC2?

-Were you under the influence of any drugs or substances in your playthrough(s!?) of DMC2? Studies show that the rare fans suffer from mild case of hallucionation, where one encounters gameplay so bad they convince themselves it was actually good as a coping mechanism.

-Was your favorite boss the demonic helicopter 1, demonic helicopter 2, or building face man?

I haven't played the game but these bosses all sound fucking sweet.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really glad to hear this turned out well. I think I'll go pre-order on Steam tonight.

DMC2's bosses were hysterically awful but I did have a soft spot for that opening town, super fluid skybox animation and wall jumping. Then, it went down and down and down. So sad. I loved the concept art.

DmC: Devil May Cry (aka Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry) is really fun as hell. I have it on 360. One WEIRD quirk is that the Xbox Live Marketplace option in the menu is a different font - I think "Tahoma" (!) - to everything else. It feels like they really pushed the UI finish to the last for a couple of other reasons too.

But in game, I'm having more fun playing DmC than I did playing DMC4, loss of fps nonwithstanding. Its a more fun setting, it's darker, funnier, etc. Its post-Bayonetta game design, as much or more than just being a DMC series entry. Bosses aren't that great but the combat flows well everywhere else. One thing I would recommend is go straight to Nephilim difficulty. Hard is the new medium. I died a couple of times so far, feels about right.

I have zero problem with the new Dante.

Fantasmo

Eh, hold on. PS3 Skyrim would beg to differ. Different case I know but bears mentioning. Also, some of the User Reviews are worded pretty well and if you were on the fence you might get swayed.

Anteater

Well I've gotten kind of used to the control scheme, I've never had to press all the shoulder buttons so much in my life. Demon/Angel on trigger buttons, L1 for shooting and R1 for dodge, second dodge is unnecessary and just fucks with my head more.

man I feel so PRO when I do combos

The feel of being king of games

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Top Bottom