• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Yuripaw

Banned
I died like four times against Bob Bardas (For the life of me, I could not dodge the walls and get to the nodes fast enough to save my life before they started regenerating.

Still got an S rank.

Come the fuck on.

That's still not a SSS rank.

haven't played this game, but isn't that a thing?

Struggling to come up with action games worse than DMC2:

Too Human
Genji 2
Ninja Gaiden 3 (Vanilla)
Ninja Blade
Heavenly Sword
Nano Breaker
Bujingai
Chaos Legion
Rygar (the new one on Wii)
Castlevania games on the PS2

All of these are extremely debatable IMO.

Vergil is NOT playable in Bloody Palace.

Bujingai is bad, but it's awesome

My circle of IRL friends were reminding me of how quickly I've done a quick 180 of the game. You could probably find some posts here from me wishing Capcom to go broke because of the decision to farm the game out to Ninja Theory.

But now I love it, and despite it lacking the depth of a DMC game, it's still quite enjoyable to play.

They also said it was funny how my opinion changed after, "you know, PLAYING THE GAME" in their words.

I did have a chuckle to myself, and I can't believe I am here actually singing praise for it still.

But it is fun.

Were you really wishing Capcom would 'go broke?' C'mon now.

throwing down the arbiter of truth.

Scum

B0Wgk.gif

haikira

I'm probably going to post proper impressions, when i complete the game. I think the last mission i finished, was 16 or 17. But if i was forced to sum things up quickly. I fucking love this game!

It's funny. The first time i played the demo, I thought it was awful. Then out of nowhere, a week or two after that, i decided to give it another run. Then something clicked and I kept playing it over and over, up until the games release. So yeah, I've pulled quite the 180.

Ken

Beat the game.

Was fun. Mediocre boss fights though, and the last bit was kind of boring but the rest of the game was great.

Ein Bear

I'm not going to buy this game, but I have a quick question for those who do to stave off my curiosity. Does the new gauntlett weapon, Eryx, not have any of the kicking moves from the previous games? It would be weird if it didn't have the killer bee dive kick, it is such a staple move for that weapon type. It would also be disappointing to see the bee hive rapid kicks from Beowulf/Giglamesh going away.

No it doesn't, which is a real shame :( The gauntlet weapons in the previous DMCs have always been my favourites, but I find myself barely using them in this one. The Arbiter seems a lot more useful.

Good grief, 1st I have to update my PS3 and now I'm having to install the game.
I thought I'd get a hour in before I have to go out, guess that's not gonna happen.

Jintor

I'm going through Son of Sparda now and erring on the side of beginning to dislike the combat system somewhat and I'm trying to figure out why. Probably one thing is the invincible-ass colour-coded enemies that really fuck with the pacing, also having to fight 4 chainsaw assholes who continually go into armour mode where they don't stagger. I gotta sit down and analyse it in more detail though.

Still fun but, just not Bayonetta fun.

remz

One thing that would have made this game way awesome would be to transplant the "cancel anything with a dodge" and dodge offset from bayonetta into it.

There's a lot of times I reflexively go for a late "turn into bats" dodge from bayo when playing DmC which usually ends with me eating a chainsaw.

No it doesn't, which is a real shame :( The gauntlet weapons in the previous DMCs have always been my favourites, but I find myself barely using them in this one. The Arbiter seems a lot more useful.

Yeah, pretty much. DMC1 gauntlets were way more fun. I definitely miss the drop kick.

about the only thing I use the gauntlets for in this is the lvl3 charged uppercut.

Jintor

I definitely miss being able to cancel out of anything and late-cancel/bat-cancel out of things. Laf thinks it's too easy but it's just a question of reflexes to my mind.

Also the flaregun is great but I think it really fucks with combat pacing again...

V_Arnold

9 more levels to have all Nephilim stages to SSS. It was fun.

If you guys want me to, I could spend some time tonight and write down the SSS/SS threshholds for maps, so you can see which score you will need for that highest rank. It can be easily found out by just browsing the leaderboards a little.

Varth

I'm going through Son of Sparda now and erring on the side of beginning to dislike the combat system somewhat and I'm trying to figure out why. Probably one thing is the invincible-ass colour-coded enemies that really fuck with the pacing, also having to fight 4 chainsaw assholes who continually go into armour mode where they don't stagger. I gotta sit down and analyse it in more detail though.

Still fun but, just not Bayonetta fun.

You only have to try a different approach. Try the cool parry capabilities of Eryx charge attacks, the stun properties of Revenant or Kablooie, the bounce attack of Ebony/Ivory or a hint of DT on Super Armor guys. There's a good amount of "less-than-obvious" tactics for every strong enemy. That aside, I would say that the chainsaw guys are probably the most troublesome enemies in the game due to difficulty to demon dodge them effectively.

I actually don't mind the color coding as much as most people do. The one thing that bothers me, though, is how weak Angel weapons are outside of crowd control. If you really just want to kill one single blue enemy it feels like it's taking forever. That becomes especially apparent when you fight a red and a blue Rage and the latter just won't die while the former died relatively quickly. Angel weapons also feel a bit flimsy when you aren't using them on a bunch of enemies.

Varth

I actually don't mind the color coding as much as most people do. The one thing that bothers me, though, is how weak Angel weapons are outside of crowd control. If you really just want to kill one single blue enemy it feels like it's taking forever. That becomes especially apparent when you fight a red and a blue Rage and the latter just won't die while the former died relatively quickly. Angel weapons also feel a bit flimsy when you aren't using them on a bunch of enemies.

That's because you're supposed to resort to Aquila for crowd control/stun ONLY. When an enemy's locked by round trip, charge Osiris by attacking continuously. When fully charged, Osiris it's basically on par with other weapons in terms of time/damage as long as you use all its attacks effectively.

Carbonox

3 secret missions left to get 100% completion on every level in the game (and subsequently get max DT and health for Dante). While I'm doing this I'm doing the SSS Nephilim achievement (around 10 missions left to go).

After that, all I'll need to do is beat DMD, H&H and get the 5000 kills trophy for the Platinum.

Should be done by the end of the weekend.

Dizzle24

I heart this game. I've been a Devil May Cry fan since 2001, beat every mode in every game (yes even dmc 2) and I can say Ninja Theory has my respect for what they did with DMC.

I'd definitely like to see a sequel.

Vitor711

Struggling to come up with action games worse than DMC2:

Too Human
Genji 2
Ninja Gaiden 3 (Vanilla)
Ninja Blade
Heavenly Sword
Nano Breaker
Bujingai
Chaos Legion
Rygar (the new one on Wii)
Castlevania games on the PS2

All of these are extremely debatable IMO.

Vergil is NOT playable in Bloody Palace.

If the Wii Rygar is a port of the old PS2 game, that was actually a pretty solid GoW rip-off when it originally came out on Sony's system. I actually really enjoyed it and it looked nice for the time.

The game probably didn't age particularly well so the Wii port seems questionable but it was more than decent for its time.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Angel Dash breaks mission 3. Fight 1 battle then just zoom to Kat. I guess that's what they had in mind for the 2 minute trophy.

This game is fun as shit.

3 secret missions left to get 100% completion on every level in the game (and subsequently get max DT and health for Dante). While I'm doing this I'm doing the SSS Nephilim achievement (around 10 missions left to go).

After that, all I'll need to do is beat DMD, H&H and get the 5000 kills trophy for the Platinum.

Should be done by the end of the weekend.
I still have Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and SSS Nephilim left to do. Got all the upgrades and I suspect the 5000 kill trophy will be the last one I get.
Not sure if I'll actually do all that, though. H or H is just too boring.

Played the first three missions last night, it's pretty good!

-Had to turn the music way down, it was driving me crazy.
-Animation in combat is great.
-Characters are so stupid(this is in line with expectations).
-Surprised by how many moves there are even just so far. And again the animation on a lot of them is really cool.
-Even on hard mode it's really easy so far. Only time I ran into any trouble was the first boss which almost killed me, but haven't died yet.
-Combat is fun but it does feel like it lacks the polish or detail of a DMC3, Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta.
-Level design is cool, Limbo set up really seems to let them go wacky. Honestly the level design kind of reminds of Bayonetta.
-Voice acting and character animation are really good. Execution goes a long way even if the plot is dead stupid on paper.

Looking forward to playing more tonight.

Carbonox

I still have Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell and SSS Nephilim left to do. Got all the upgrades and I suspect the 5000 kill trophy will be the last one I get.
Not sure if I'll actually do all that, though. H or H is just too boring.

Yeah the 5000 kills one will take a while. I think I'm well over half way though. I'm thinking that the
Bob Barbas
boss fight on Heaven or Hell will be the easiest way to farm kills due to the
CCTV sections where you can one shot like 30 enemies before you're pulled out
. Rinse and repeat.

dan2026

Just beat
Bob Bardas.

Wow what a cool looking boss.
Fight wasn't particularly difficult (when I worked out what to do) but damn was it cool.

Probably the most entertaining boss I've fought in ages.

Varth

Angel Dash breaks mission 3. Fight 1 battle then just zoom to Kat. I guess that's what they had in mind for the 2 minute trophy.

Car escape mission can be easily done in less than 2 minutes, too.

Also, for 5000 kills you basically need full playthrough of all difficulty levels + a second run for SSS on nephilim. After 4th run and many missione repeated, I have 3800 kills.

Ricker

Goddamnit I hate the Bosses in this game...I mean the whole dance club section was awesome but that Boss,jesus such a drawn out fight,switching weapons around LT this RT that,cant see shit with all the lights flashing,grapple,pull,switch back arrrgg,I guess I dont have the patience and skill for this kinda controls anymore...I'll keep trying but man what a annoying fight(Succubus in Club)

Ooohhh, right. I played that mission for SSS Nephilim this morning and didn't get a good style ranking because I only fought the five enemies at the beginning and then took the shortcut. I knew I was missing something, haha.

Wonko_C

If the Wii Rygar is a port of the old PS2 game, that was actually a pretty solid GoW rip-off when it originally came out on Sony's system. I actually really enjoyed it and it looked nice for the time.

The game probably didn't age particularly well so the Wii port seems questionable but it was more than decent for its time.

Rygar predates God of War by 3 years.

I remember this one guy who used to hang on the GoW 1/2 GameFAQs boards for years, preaching the good word on Rygar, and how GoW was just a shallow rip-off of Rygar's awesomeness and blah-blah-blah. YEARS of this guy. He's probably on the Absolution boards right now...

It was a solid another game, but it was never some hidden gem of the system he preached about. GoW2 especially shits on it from a great height.

Jintor

eh, once i figured out rebellion is the fastest way to take out the weak point it all fell into place. Hitting the weak-weak point sucked though, no reactions, no satisfaction, literally just spamming y

explodet

eh, once i figured out rebellion is the fastest way to take out the weak point it all fell into place. Hitting the weak-weak point sucked though, no reactions, no satisfaction, literally just spamming y
Exactly. Not difficult, just too repetitive and about a third longer than it needed to be.

Varth

Did the
Mundus' Spawn
boss fight drag on WAY too long for anybody else, or was it just me?

Did you cool parrying the mirror ball and his arm attack? Both stun him for a long time.

Also, anybody knows if there's some trick to parry
mundus
meteors? They seem to be color coded, and that may be the reason why sometimes Osiris parries them, some other won't.

ultron87

On the second boss, I liked that
even though you essentially kill her with a QTE after she lands in the river, the game contextualizes the button prompts in the game with the Blue and Red grapple symbols instead of putting a big flashing X on the screen. Way more elegant way of doing that.

remz

Did you cool parrying the mirror ball and his arm attack? Both stun him for a long time.

Also, anybody knows if there's some trick to parry
mundus
meteors? They seem to be color coded, and that may be the reason why sometimes Osiris parries them, some other won't.
I hit them with rebellion on neph difficulty and it worked

Top Bottom