• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Ein Bear

On the second boss, I liked that
even though you essentially kill her with a QTE after she lands in the river, the game contextualizes the button prompts in the game with the Blue and Red grapple symbols instead of putting a big flashing X on the screen. Way more elegant way of doing that.

Yeah, I really liked this.
It's the same basic principal as a QTE ('You've beaten the boss, now finish it off in a cool way!') but it's actually interactive, and you feel much more involved in the process. Was great.

Dahbomb

Probably already posted, but is this not swag as fuck? Dahbomb was right, Aquila and Kablooey are definitely DmC's best contributions to the series.

Aquila is better utilized in some of the other videos on that channel, though.
I already posted that video a while back.

One thing that would have made this game way awesome would be to transplant the "cancel anything with a dodge" and dodge offset from bayonetta into it.
I actually like that EVERYTHING in the game is not cancelable by a dodge. Some moves are balanced that way and even NT had the foresight to see that having the ability to dodge cancel out of Trinity Smash would've been too good. Plus Dodge Offset would have absolutely no effect on a DMC game because it doesn't use a dial a combo system.

There's a lot of times I reflexively go for a late "turn into bats" dodge from bayo when playing DmC which usually ends with me eating a chainsaw.
Late dodge is very effective in this game just the timing is a bit different from Bayo. If you do it with the Demon trigger you get the Demon Dodge and it's all sorts of powerful.

It's been 3 days since the game's release... I see no FUCKING SWAG VIDEOS!!!!!

Ein Bear

So halfway through my second playthrough and I've only just remembered that there's a store besides the upgrade one where you can buy Health/DT crosses. Oops.

Carbonox

So halfway through my second playthrough and I've only just remembered that there's a store besides the upgrade one where you can buy Health/DT crosses. Oops.

:lol

Yeah, Red Orbs became pretty much 'meh' since Devil May Cry 4. S'all about 'upgrade points' now.

Ricker

Did the
Mundus' Spawn
boss fight drag on WAY too long for anybody else, or was it just me?

Yeah but I finally beat him/her lol...I keep on trucking,mission 16 now I think...I do think the game adjusts some stuff for you though if you miss stuff and the like,it pushed me forward a few times after I missed stringing hooks and the like...and I am playing on the normal difficulty also so maybe that's it...from Nephilim on maybe the game doesn't do that...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As disappointing as hearing that the boss fights overall are not that hard... I'm ok with this... seeing how I've been playing the Ys games nonstop for the last month or so. That's some true rage inducing shit.

Dahbomb

I know that he reviewed it, this thread is my home :D Question is that if it was a rent or something like that, cause I know that he wants the pc version instead.
It was my friend's copy, I told him if he got the game early he would contact me immediately. He did, he got it at 10 AM when the store opened and told me he got it. I took the day off from work to beat it.

I have only played a little bit of SoS though. He's still playing through it and I think he's on DMD mode. He digs it of course. My PC version is paid already so when that releases I will be doing the 100% walkthrough (BP, SSS ranks on every difficulty except for the HoHs because they are jokes, all achievements etc).

Missions since the Slurm factory kind of suck, at mission10, hope it gets better
Mission#11-13 is a great section of the game.

I heart this game. I've been a Devil May Cry fan since 2001, beat every mode in every game (yes even dmc 2) and I can say Ninja Theory has my respect for what they did with DMC.

I'd definitely like to see a sequel.

painful to see, no thanks on that last part though, i'd like a true devil may cry sequel, all i can hope is the sales are just low enough to make a DmC2 an impossibility. let NT make another IP with what they've learned butchering this one in my eyes.

Mike M

Nick N
Yay, just got to mission 11. Man
bob
was the lamest boss so far.

Mechanically, he was incredibly lackluster. But damn, on a conceptual and presentation level, I thought he was amazing. I loved the "intermission" bits between health bars.

V_Arnold

Does anyone have an idea btw whether my pc will be able to run DmC on a constant 60fps?
Amd phenom II 550 @ 3.0ghz (or 3.2?)
HD4850 1gb vram
8gb ddr3 @ 1333
And Win7/64 bit.

I noticed that I haven't unlocked the trophy for defeating all enemies in mission 6, even though I've actually already done that. Is there anything I could have missed?

Mechazawa

My god, that skin looks terrible on Donte. His scrawny ass proportions are really highlighted with the DMC3 skin.

He honestly looks better with his normal one.

Does anyone have an idea btw whether my pc will be able to run DmC on a constant 60fps?
Amd phenom II 550 @ 3.0ghz (or 3.2?)
HD4850 1gb vram
8gb ddr3 @ 1333
And Win7/64 bit.

I've got roughly the same computer as you. If you can wait until next Friday, you'll know for sure.

painful to see, no thanks on that last part though, i'd like a true devil may cry sequel, all i can hope is the sales are just low enough to make a DmC2 an impossibility. let NT make another IP with what they've learned butchering this one in my eyes.

Even if I didn't think this was a great and fresh new entry to the series (which I do) I'd still want to see NT make a sequel just to spite "fans" like this.

Dahbomb

Even if I didn't think this was a great and fresh new entry to the series (which I do) I'd still want to see NT make a sequel just to spite "fans" like this.
Haven't fans been spited enough already?

If there's a sequel to this game, expect to see red jacket/white hair Dante, 60FPS game play, better boss fights and taunts back. It would be more like a DMC game than DmC. And unless they fuck it up like DMC2, it will be better received.

Haven't fans been spited enough already?

What people fail to realize is the fact that it is thanks to NT that we have another game in this series at all. Obviously, Capcom's in house development team is incapable of following up on 'nerd'core fan's franchise expectations (RE6 anyone?).

Folks crying over the death of DMC will have to learn to deal or move on to Platinum or some other developer for their niche needs.

What people fail to realize is the fact that it is thanks to NT that we have another game in this series at all. Obviously, Capcom's in house development team is incapable of following up on 'nerd'core fan's franchise expectations (RE6 anyone?).

Folks crying over the death of DMC will have to learn to deal or move on to Platinum or some other developer for their niche needs.

WTF is this? DMC is a niche title now?

Dahbomb

That didn't answer my question at all. Capcom is still capable of making good games, Dragon's Dogma is a solid game made by the director of the DMC series. If he wanted to make a solid DMC game, he would've.

And even if there's a sequel to DmC, you would be delusional to think that it won't have some series trademarks back. They are not going to move further away from the formula just to spite the fans, I am sure NT/Capcom have had enough of that already.

You are playing and enjoying a niche game by the way. Don't expect it to sell 5 million copies. DmC is still a very combo centric, mechanics heavy game unlike many other casual games out there.

blackflag

I like this pretty well so far. I definitely like the story better than the old DMC games. The action isn't as good, but it is still fun and much better than I expected.

ezekial45

Banned

Capcom Jpn is very much capable of making DMC5. They just didn't want to do it because they felt it was getting tired and stale, and opted for for this entry instead.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Fans like these are the reason people wish failure on this game. Just sayin, playboy.

That didn't answer my question at all. Capcom is still capable of making good games, Dragon's Dogma is a solid game made by the director of the DMC series. If he wanted to make a solid DMC game, he would've.

And even if there's a sequel of DmC, you would be delusional to think that it won't have some series trademarks back. They are not going to move further away from the formula just to spite the fans, I am sure NT/Capcom have had enough of that already.

You are playing and enjoying a niche game by the way. Don't expect it to sell 5 million copies. DmC is still a very combo centric, mechanics heavy game unlike many other casual games out there.

Whatever. You certainly can't please everyone and focusing on the deluded and jaded is certainly not the best place to start. All I know is my hats off to NT or any developer for being able to focus and create a quality game with the rabid expectations of certain subsections of fans like some in this thread.

ezekial45

Banned
I don't, at this point if the game does sell like crap, I hope they stop making them. Capcom has been making too many shitty decisions this gen. They can be the next THQ for all i care.
So you'd rather have the series die instead of continuing on with games like this (which is pretty damn good)?

Capcom Jpn is very much capable of making DMC5. They just didn't want to do it because they felt it was getting tired and stale, and opted for for this entry instead.

Exactly. I didn't mean to imply that they couldn't make another DMC, but, like you said, they made a choice (and a good one IMO) to go with a developer with a fresh outlook.

Dahbomb

Really interested on what you guys think they should put in DmC2 after enjoying this one. This is mostly geared towards the casual fans because I already know what the DMC fans would want in DmC2.

You should probably assume that it would be coming on next-gen.

Carbonox

I finished all the secret missions. There was one particular Ivory one which was the only difficult one IMO:

Blue Rage, Red Rage and a Siren all at once and they seemed to be around Son of Sparda difficulty. And in a small arena. So fucking annoying.

Glad I've done them though. All Lost Souls found too. Now to focus on SSS ranks, DMD, etc.

Dahbomb

I finished all the secret missions. There was one particular Ivory one which was the only difficult one IMO:

Blue Rage, Red Rage and a Siren all at once and they seemed to be around Son of Sparda difficulty. And in a small arena. So fucking annoying.

Glad I've done them though. All Lost Souls found too. Now to focus on SSS ranks, DMD, etc.
Can you give a brief summary of all the secret missions? You should probably spoiler it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Really interested on what you guys think they should put in DmC2 after enjoying this one. This is mostly geared towards the casual fans because I already know what the DMC fans would want in DmC2.

You should probably assume that it would be coming on next-gen.

does DMC fans even want a DmC2?

pakkit

Banned
I don't, at this point if the game does sell like crap, I hope they stop making them. Capcom has been making too many shitty decisions this gen. They can be the next THQ for all i care.

How about you just pretend the game doesn't exist, while the others actively enjoy videogames instead of wishing closure on companies.

Other day I did the 4 costume pics but I got time today to show the costumes in video which include the DMC3 one so I did one here for anyone who wants to check it out - http://youtu.be/hTpr5L7ffoA

Skin looks really good. Since I fully expect them to work on DmC2, I hope they beef him up a tiny little bit and go with this look.

DMC5>DmC2>Nothing at all

Dantis

Played through the first ten chapters of this now. Really enjoying it. Some flaws (Don't like the blue and red enemies :/), but mostly really cool.

Also, AMAZING art direction. The script is getting (Was getting, maybe? Dunno if people are still moaning) a lot of largely unwarranted hate. It's not amazing, but it's definitely not too bad either.

Dahbomb

I would much rather have an internally developed DMC5 BUT I will take any DMC game that comes my way. DmC2 by NT with a bigger budget, on next-gen consoles and with more active collaboration with Itsuno would be fine by me with some key changes. Of course I already know what they should change for me to like it more but I am more interested in a casual perspective.

The hierarchy of DMC request:

DMC5 (Internally developed headed by Itsuno) > DmC2 (developed by NT) > DMC5 (developed by NT) > DmC2 (developed by Itsuno and Capcom JP) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No Devil May Cry at all

I don't know where I would want a DMC Bloody Palace edition though.

Top Bottom