• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Risette

A Good Citizen
This game goes to show that Ninja Theory's last games were most definitely rushed, because this is by far their best game. The art direction alone is far better than any Devil May Cry game before.
Or because they had Itsuno's oversight to help them get on the right track

Dahbomb

Or it could mean that they had collaboration done with Capcom in the game play department. Their art direction has always been good, its their game play that people were skeptical about.

Edit; Beaten

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Am I crazy or does Dante's hair get longer throughout the game? I know it does at the end.
Or it could mean that they had collaboration done with Capcom in the game play department. Their art direction has always been good, its their game play that people were skeptical about.

Edit; Beaten

Near the end, their art direction blows any of their previous efforts out of the water.

Dartastic

Or because they had Itsuno's oversight to help them get on the right track
I think we can probably go with a little bit of both. I don't doubt that he contributed to the game greatly, but I also think that there was no way that Capcom was going to let a reboot of one of their most popular franchises be shitty. Ninja Theory's last games definitely needed more time in the oven, and their last game was definitely rushed. It should have been obvious since E3 of last year that the game was going to be good (the demo that was released is essentially the E3 demo) but ya know, fanboys be fanboyin.

ezekial45

Banned
I actually think this game was a bit rushed too. Regardless, Capcom's influence really brought out their talent even further.

I can't wait to see what they do next. They're already working on their next game (along with a mobile one), and the Capcom influence will take them far.

DMC1 is better

As much as I like DMC, Phantom sucked ass as well as that flying thing where you get Ifrit. GoW2 is a fucking masterclass in pacing. My dream DMC game is Sony Santa Monica making the whole thing and Capcom throwing Dante in there after the fact.

Also, every time I think of DMC1; without fail, I remember this

Dahbomb

Personally I have always thought that DmC was way better than any NT game by a significant margin. I knew this when they first revealed it, I knew this when the demo hit and I confirmed it after I played it myself. I am not taking any credit away from NT, this is 95% their game and this is essentially their breakout game. And yes I also agree that they stepped it up a notch in their environment art. If only they had kept with their own standard of characters, story and cutscenes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game has some win alone for including Combichrist (both music and the poster in Dante's room) although it's a bit different than the Combichrist I'm used to. Always thought industrial music suited the DMC series.

This game has some win alone for including Combichrist (both music and the poster in Dante's room) although it's a bit different than the Combichrist I'm used to. Always thought industrial music suited the DMC series.

I do like the soundtrack, although I think the Noisia half (the ambient stuff at least) is much more interesting. Not all the wubwub stuff is as good but there's some great stuff otherwise.

Soooo... Ninja Theory's Onimusha?

As long as they can mocap Jean Reno I'm all for it.

ezekial45

Banned
People don't believe me but I think NT can do a better job with Oni remake than they could've with DMC. Plus that series actually needs a remake it, went a generation without a game.

I'd be cool with that too. It's not like Capcom JPN is going to do anything with it.

Picked up the game yesterday and put a few hours into it today and I must say I'm enjoying it much more than I thought I would. I was feeding into the hate machine but the game has converted me. Well done ninja theory I didn't think you had it in you.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Didn't Capcom said there were some people from the original Team giving NT some help with the inputs or something like that way on the beginning when Meth Dante reveal was revealed?

ezekial45

Banned
Didn't Capcom said there were some people from the original Team giving NT some help with the inputs or something like that way on the beginning when Meth Dante reveal was revealed?

Yes, Hideaki Itsuno (director of DMC2,3,4) and other game designers from the DMC team were helping NT with the game. Giving them feedback, suggestions, etc.

Dahbomb

They just did an online stream and the NT guy basically went at length about how Itsuno helped them out with the combat. He made it seem like it was an eye opening experience for NT, they didn't think about combat quite like that. They have been saying this for quite a while but it was never apparent when Itsuno actually helped out. From my understanding he helped with the fundamentals and helped them get up to speed, went to work on DD while checking up on the frames and stuff bimonthly then went more hands on in the last few polish months of the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Aren't some of the devs for NT for this some guys who played crazy amounts of DMC? I know at a preview the guy was talking combos like he knew what he was talking about.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
They just did an online stream and the NT guy basically went at length about how Itsuno helped them out with the combat. He made it seem like it was an eye opening experience for NT, they didn't think about combat quite like that. They have been saying this for quite a while but it was never apparent when Itsuno actually helped out. From my understanding he helped with the fundamentals and helped them get up to speed, went to work on DD while checking up on the frames and stuff bimonthly then went more hands on in the last few polish months of the game.

Neat. I wish there was a good making off of the game because the bits that were done were poor. T_T

Dahbomb

Aren't some of the devs for NT for this some guys who played crazy amounts of DMC? I know at a preview the guy was talking combos like he knew what he was talking about.
From what I have seen of the people who come to interviews they really don't have that deep of an understanding. The main combat designer basically admitted in an interview that when he sees DMC4 combo videos he has no idea what the fuck is going on.

I have friends who work in game development in UK and some have friends working at NT. There are DMC fans there in NT but of course all you really see and hear are Tameem style quotes and PR non sense.

I think we can probably go with a little bit of both. I don't doubt that he contributed to the game greatly, but I also think that there was no way that Capcom was going to let a reboot of one of their most popular franchises be shitty. Ninja Theory's last games definitely needed more time in the oven, and their last game was definitely rushed. It should have been obvious since E3 of last year that the game was going to be good (the demo that was released is essentially the E3 demo) but ya know, fanboys be fanboyin.

No amount of time could have saved Ninja Theory's previous games from being abysmal.

Dartastic

From what I have seen of the people who come to interviews they really don't have that deep of an understanding. The main combat designer basically admitted in an interview that when he sees DMC4 combo videos he has no idea what the fuck is going on.
Personally I always had a really hard time with past DmC games because you couldn't fully upgrade Dante through one play through. I hated that. You see people doing all these crazy things, but you have to play the game multiple times to even unlock those options.

Dartastic

You can't fully upgrade Dante in this game either through one walkthrough.
And I still hate that. But I understand why people might not fully get the game if you can't have a fully upgraded character by the end of the game. Granted as a designer he should know better, but still.

Dahbomb

And I still hate that. But I understand why people might not fully get the game if you can't have a fully upgraded character by the end of the game. Granted as a designer he should know better, but still.
It's there for the replay value, DMC doesn't kick in until the later difficulties anyway.

Dartastic

It's there for the replay value, DMC doesn't kick in until the later difficulties anyway.
I get that. I started this game on the hardest difficulty available. I just don't necessarily think that it's a good way to encourage replay value. I WANT to be able to be a complete bad ass at the end of the game. I don't want to have to play the game multiple times and grind to be able to do some of the things that I see in videos. It's a pain in the ass.

Ken

Aren't you able to at least get all the base moves in one playthrough though? I was able to get all of the moves (but not the second ranks of all of them) after my first playthrough on normal.

ezekial45

Banned
Aren't you able to at least get all the base moves in one playthrough though? I was able to get all of the moves (but not the second ranks of all of them) after my first playthrough on normal.

I didn't. I still had like 15 or so moves left to unlock after beating Nephilim.

Teknoman

Fuck.... after seeing the MGR boss battle video the bosses in this game look elementary in comparison. :(

Platinum effect man.

As much as I like DMC, Phantom sucked ass as well as that flying thing where you get Ifrit. GoW2 is a fucking masterclass in pacing. My dream DMC game is Sony Santa Monica making the whole thing and Capcom throwing Dante in there after the fact.

Also, every time I think of DMC1; without fail, I remember this

Hell yeah you do, because it's awesome.

For me its Battle theme 2: Lock and Load. Wreck everything to that.

Am I the only one who dislikes most bosses in the series?

Slashing at giant things that don't react to your attacks and do big area of effect attacks isn't fun.

(Relatively) Human sized bosses only, please.

Vergil, Credo, fun.

Cerberus, Beowulf, Arkham, Berial, the Frog, Savior

A lot less fun.

So yes, the bosses in MGR look great because they are all human sized.

Dahbomb

did you see that mothafucka dodge all those attacks with his separate body parts

and then he had to fight the torso and the legs at the same time

sogood.gif
I already knew how that guy was going to work from his concept art. But I was really taken a back by the mechanics and tools of these bosses. They were all different from each other despite all being human sized enemies. It's like fucking Vergil, Nelo Angelo and Credo in one game.... All over my fucking face!!!

They all have their own gimmick and style, all great in their own way

but fo real though

a00luj.gif

Dahbomb

Cerberus, Beowulf, Arkham, Berial, the Frog, Savior
Cerberus, Beowulf and Berial are all great fights though. They have various layers to those fights and many ways to bring them down plus they are decently aggressive despite being large bosses. The Savior and Arkham fights are terrible though. There's way to make large boss fights fun and challenging. Bayonetta does them well too.

Dartastic

Cerberus, Beowulf and Berial are all great fights though. They have various layers to those fights and many ways to bring them down plus they are decently aggressive despite being large bosses. The Savior and Arkham fights are terrible though. There's way to make large boss fights fun and challenging. Bayonetta does them well too.
I can't wait for the return of the Queen.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is this game still divided in missions? I really didn't like that in DMC4 and I see that's how it was in 3 as well (but I didn't go far in that, PC port is shit). I don't understand why they ruin the flow of a grand adventure with stupid mission and grading screens, the inability to save mid-mission if only just when quitting to resume later, etc. I didn't like that in RE4 either but it was a little more subdued there, you could save and overall it had a little more seamless feel to it, but they need to cut that shit out.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Is this game still divided in missions? I really didn't like that in DMC4 and I see that's how it was in 3 as well (but I didn't go far in that, PC port is shit). I don't understand why they ruin the flow of a grand adventure with stupid mission and grading screens, the inability to save mid-mission if only just when quitting to resume later, etc. I didn't like that in RE4 either but it was a little more subuded there, you could save and overall it had a little more seamless feel to it, but they need to cut that shit out.
I was curious about this as well. It seems DmC is a lot more linear that the previous titles, which had more of a Castlevania type of exploration to it. I know some people hate backtracking but one of things I loved about the original games were doors you couldn't enter yet and "branching" pathways and whatnot.

Dahbomb

DmC2/DMC5 will be open-world demon hunting assignments, don't worry
I just hope I don't fucking eat crow for when they do implement this and it ends up being ass. I would not hear the end of it.

DmC is mission based and mostly linear but there are quite a few hidden spots and areas you cannot access until you have the required weapon/ability.

Fuck.... after seeing the MGR boss battle video the bosses in this game look elementary in comparison. :(

Bosses in NT-games have always been a joke (I only liked Bohan but not for the gameplay). Platinum is where it's at. I just platinumed Vanquish so if you like bossfights you pretty much need MGR. Vanquish was ridiculously good in that department. I still have nightmares from Tactical Challenge 6.

Let's see if NT can improve on bosses in their next game.

It would be pretty cool to see a seamless DMC that pops up the scoring screen during gameplay and then letting you continue. It would help environments like DMC1's castle feel more cohesive.

I kind of want DmC2 to be an open world game in a city, with the ability to scale the buildings and travel the rooftops with your abilities, and bystanders to save from the demons. Like inFamous but with this combat instead of third person shooting guys with lightning. Maybe even copy the good/evil with factions, based on a story about humans, demons, and angels fighting each other and Dante choosing a side.

Top Bottom