• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Bayonetta's plot is basically a vehicle to get her into crazy situations

There's no reasonable way to justify any of the shit that happens towards the end and frankly, I liked how absurd it was.

Curufinwe

Offensive garbage, you say.

More problematic are the journeys into body horror, which occasionally descends into a grotesqueness that doesn’t fit well with the quips and inane swearfests punctuating the boss battles. I’m not particularly squeamish but one encounter made me abandon my pastrami on rye and shudder a little. It involves a demon wearing a human skin which resembles Ida, the plastic surgery addict from Gilliam’s Brazil, and culminates in an inversion of pregnancy that brought back nightmarish memories of the Garbage Pail Kids.

Please ignore if already posted, I went back as far as page.66 but didn't see it.

Capcom is releasing the Classic Dante look and two other previously-revealed costumes as an DLC Costume Pack, 400 Yen on PSN, 320 points on X360, coming 30th Jan 2013.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012048/20130118014/

734065_538806989470713_1673578936_n.jpg

546923_538807739470638_921033329_n.jpg

Here are the other two, but have been revealed before:

Dark Dante
734859_538808596137219_1328660011_n.jpg

and Neo Dante
296834_538808702803875_2034805120_n.jpg

I'm only at mission 6 or 7, but isn't there an option to change your costumes and weapon skins? It says you can unlock some of them by completing the game, I was hoping Classic Dante would be one of them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm only at mission 6 or 7, but isn't there an option to change your costumes and weapon skins? It says you can unlock some of them by completing the game, I was hoping Classic Dante would be one of them.

I think the only confirmed one is wifebeater DmC Dante gets unlocked after beating the game on Nephilim (?). You can change skins in the "Perks" menu, between missions, I believe. There's also white hair DmC Dante that gets unlocked. No word on Classic Dante.

So, each of the costumes is $4.

Nemesis_

I think the only confirmed one is wifebeater DmC Dante gets unlocked after beating the game on Nephilim (?). You can change skins in the "Perks" menu, between missions, I believe. There's also white hair DmC Dante that gets unlocked. No word on Classic Dante.

So, each of the costumes is $4.

I didn't even unlock that and I just beat Nephilim. All I got was "white hair" Dante.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nah, they are not. Cognitive dissonance, on the highest levels possible. Players simply are the most sensitive when it is with Capcom. Other developers and publishers can literally pull out WAY more and way higher priced dlc out of their asses, and get way less hatred for it.

One costume pack, a totally free bloody palace dlc and a "free to the vast majority of preorders / paid afterwards" Vergil DLC is easily a generous deal.

I'm saying that based off actual experience with all their games, every single Capcom game I have played in the last few years all had pretty nasty examples of it. Resident Evil 6's Mercenaries mode is butchered due to half of the maps being split from preorders, and they have 2 more to download. They added 3 new modes and they all pull from the same Merc maps, meaing the alreayd split userbase is split even more. Asura's Wrath has a pretty bullshit cliffhanger that leads into a to be continued which is a true ending DLC, Dragon's Dogma on day one of launching it had 100 quests as a 108kb unlock, I don't think I need to touch on SFxT.

I don't believe I'm overly sensitive to it, I play a lot of games and see a lot of the methods developers use to put in DLC, and Capcom is generally one of the consistently worst at pulling stuff like that. DmC is actually not that bad in that area to me, Costumes aren't a huge deal however I do think that is a pretty inane asking price.

Dante Must Die Y U SO EASY

I'm Mission 10 and I've been getting SSS ranks in every mission first time, so far. Such a shame.

That's a shame. I'd been playing through DMC4 SoS which I wrapped up today. I was happy with A's. A's! That's like, pretty solid, didn't waste any time,combos were fairly decent and busted most of the barrels.

Would you say SSS is the new A or more like an S? Knocking out DMD SSS this fast is supposed to be 0.01% status

You could be killing it, I dunno.

Nemesis_

Dante Must Die Y U SO EASY

I'm Mission 10 and I've been getting SSS ranks in every mission first time, so far. Such a shame.

Yeah, a lot of my friends on Facebook are media. They are all praising it but then think it's hard. They found it hard to believe that you could get through the game without using items.

ibv6vkhXX1B9Qn.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's a shame. I'd been playing through DMC4 SoS which I wrapped up today. I was happy with A's. A's! That's like, pretty solid, didn't waste any time,combos were fairly decent and busted most of the barrels.

Would you say SSS is the new A or more like an S? Knocking out DMD SSS this fast is supposed to be 0.01% status

I am frequently getting S ranks on my first time through having a lowish time grade due to exploring, not full SSS on completion, AND even while dying in a mission. SSS status in DmC is not hard to get at all.

I was three SSS Nephilim missions away from getting the platinum trophy until the game decided to freeze in the middle of saving. Then this happened:

casupjr60briwe63b.jpg

I have the greatest luck.

Thankfully I should have a PS+ cloud save, so I don't have to do everything again, but still.

Carbonox

SSS would be the new A for me because of how overpowered and useful weapons like Aquila, Kablooey and Arbiter are. Round Trip just outright breaks the game IMO. You have completely free reign to spam Trinity Smash on enemies stuck in Round Trip. Trinity Smash being the pinnacle attack for jumping up the style ranks. Combined with the already known Demon Dodge, you're laughing all the way to the bank.

The only mission SSS is a bit tricky to obtain is the final one.

The game is just too easy.

Yeah, a lot of my friends on Facebook are media. They are all praising it but then think it's hard. They found it hard to believe that you could get through the game without using items.

ibv6vkhXX1B9Qn.gif

...Hard? If you've never played this sort of game before then I MIGHT picture it being a bit tricky at times but enough to use items? ...

Ristlager

You could skip cutscenes in the first playthru of Bayonetta. And if you thought they were embarrassing, I don't know why you think cringeworthy crap like this is any better, or easier to recommend to casual players.

On my first playthru no game should be so bad that you have to skip cutscenes. That is a huge negative, and they are far to frequent and break up the flow and that is also a huge negative, add irritating "push the button when it flashes on the screen or die!" moments and there are enough shitty parts to not make it a good whole package. Thats why I think is a better game. Will it hold up and be as fun as Bayo still is after a year? Probably not.

Nemesis_

...Hard? If you've never played this sort of game before then I MIGHT picture it being a bit tricky at times but enough to use items? ...

It's crazy.

The worst thing about teh ranking system is that once you've found collectibles, you've got an SSS factor right there. It will always bump up whatever you get.

I was so surprised to find every boss battle I had an SS rank upon completion. And this was my first run

ArjanN

As a game this game is so far the best action game this gen. Everything but the fighting is so rubbish in Bayonetta, that in only got good on the second playthrough where you could skip the extremely dull/embarrasing and far to numerous cut sceenes and you also got laughable bad driving part twice. But the fighting in Bayo is better but does that make it a better game? I could not recommend Bayo to any of my causual friends, but I can easily to that with DmC. I have only played the first couple of stages of NGB (didn't like it much) so I can't really talk about that one.

IMO for an almost entirely gameplay focused genre like this it does. All the other stuff is just the icing on the cake.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is greenmangaming still the cheapest way to get the PC version, and will that discount be available right up until release so I can agonize over whether I'm going to buy it for a while longer?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm waiting for a Steam Sale with all the DLC bundled in this summer.

Yeah, I was telling myself I'd wait, but then I saw that MGR boss trailer and figured I probably wouldn't be that interested in DmC once I had MGR. I'm not shitting on DmC; it's just that within the character action genre DMC is my least favorite style. I guess that could be taken as a reason to wait, but I was using it as a reason to buy it so I'd have something to do before MGR and GOW:A.

Also, it's Capcom, so how much of a discount can we really expect in 6 months time?

Is greenmangaming still the cheapest way to get the PC version, and will that discount be available right up until release so I can agonize over whether I'm going to buy it for a while longer?

Look in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread, DunderHassan is selling it for $30.

I'm waiting for a Steam Sale with all the DLC bundled in this summer.

I sort of feel the same way, I tend to wait more for the patches/fixes but I may end up getting it anyway. The Costume Pack comes with the Steam version.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I had to vs Virgil. But that was mostly because I didn't know what to do for a bit when he was kneeling down and healing himself. Didn't realize all I had to do was hit Devil Trigger and go give him a slap.

As a side note, I went and bought Bayonetta last night because I enjoyed this game so much. I can definitely see the difference in how much more forgiving DmC is with it's timing. I feel really button mashy right now in Bayonetta because things are a lot more hectic.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Totally getting this on PC, thank god for GMG pretty much making day 1 releases 50% cheaper. (AND YOUR WEAK US DOLLAR, HA HA HA).

Giant Bomb quicklook sold me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

http://i.minus.com/ibv6vkhXX1B9Qn.gif[/MG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, my friend thought the demo was too hard and he's played and beaten every prior DMC game. I think his main issue is wrapping his head around the new controls.

[quote="ezekial45, post: 46594202"]The pre-rendered cutscenes still use the original outfit, but everything else plays out with the special costumes.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hTpr5L7ffoA[/url][/QUOTE]

It's like a sneak peak at DmC2.

Varth

As a side note, I went and bought Bayonetta last night because I enjoyed this game so much. I can definitely see the difference in how much more forgiving DmC is with it's timing. I feel really button mashy right now in Bayonetta because things are a lot more hectic.

Sort of reconnected me with the genre, too. Gonna restart Bayo and go for the platinum this time, since I lost the old save in my phat crash.

Sort of want to go for platinum on the DMC HD collection after MG Revenge, but don't know if they're manageable. Any clue?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sort of reconnected me with the genre, too. Gonna restart Bayo and go for the platinum this time, since I lost the old save in my phat crash.

Sort of want to go for platinum on the DMC HD collection after MG Revenge, but don't know if they're manageable. Any clue?

I 1000'd it on the 360. They're difficult, but not that bad. Considering you have three games to platinum (or 2 if you decide to skip the second entry), it will take a while. DMC2's achievements probably take the longest.

Carbonox

Devil May Cry 2 and Devil May Cry 3 will be a pain in the arse to platinum purely based on the Bloody Palace trophies. The former allows you items though so you can cheese your way through. More of a case of setting aside a few hours in order to finish the BP modes in these two games. The rest of the trophies are easily manageable though.

As for DMC1, Dante Must Die is IMO the only hurdle for the Platinum.

As an aside, I have the platinum in DMC1 but not yet for DMC2 (only need to finish BP) or DMC3 (need to finish a couple more things and BP).

I might return after I platinum DmC though. With the Bayonetta Platinum also in my possession, I'm quite content. :lol

Edit: I can see Metal Gear Rising being the hardest game to platinum out of all of these.

Dahbomb

Looks like Capcom finally listened to my bitching and released information on the Costume pack. Well I am going to be getting free on the PC so that's whatever.

Now they need to release information on Bloody Palace.

Nemesis_

Man, I think the DMC HD collection might be the achievement list I'm most proud of completing.

That fucking Mundus DMD battle in DMC1 was just so painful.

Bloody Palace in DMC2 wasn't bad but the combat and enemies are just so terrible that it gets more boring rather than challenging.

DMC3 was a joy to revisit :3

Varth

I 1000'd it on the 360. They're difficult, but not that bad. Considering you have three games to platinum (or 2 if you decide to skip the second entry), it will take a while. DMC2's achievements probably take the longest.

Devil May Cry 2 and Devil May Cry 3 will be a pain in the arse to platinum purely based on the Bloody Palace trophies. The former allows you items though so you can cheese your way through. More of a case of setting aside a few hours in order to finish the BP modes in these two games. The rest of the trophies are easily manageable though.

As for DMC1, Dante Must Die is IMO the only hurdle for the Platinum.

As an aside, I have the platinum in DMC1 but not yet for DMC2 (only need to finish BP) or DMC3 (need to finish a couple more things and BP).

I might return after I platinum DmC though. With the Bayonetta Platinum also in my possession, I'm quite content. :lol

Edit: I can see Metal Gear Rising being the hardest game to platinum out of all of these.

Thank you both.

Think I'll go with 1st and 3rd then. Don't really feel to invest too much time on 2.

Carbonox

Man, I think the DMC HD collection might be the achievement list I'm most proud of completing.

That fucking Mundus DMD battle in DMC1 was just so painful.

Bloody Palace in DMC2 wasn't bad but the combat and enemies are just so terrible that it gets more boring rather than challenging.

DMC3 was a joy to revisit :3

This so much. Took me a couple of hours before I did him in. :lol

Somebody has already put up a full-fledged Trophy Guide & Road Map thread on www.ps3trophies.org, and rated the platinum difficulty a 5. After seeing what the conditions for Hell or Hell mode were, I was expecting something on par with the Conqueror trophy from El Shaddai, but I'm glad to see that's not the case!

Jawmuncher

Glad that costume pack is free for PC preorders. Though ill have to grab Vergil whenever they bring that to steam.

Though I still think ill play through the game with new Dante first.

Nemesis_

This so much. Took me a couple of hours before I did him in. :lol

It was so annoying, and that weird HIT HIM IN THIS FRAME advantage you would get during the pre-battle flight. ;_;

I think I spent a good two hours and I was sweating as much as when I work out at a gym. ;______________;

K.Sabot

Yeah, I breezed through 15 missions of Son of Sparda with no trouble, then decided to play through DMC4 Son of Sparda again and it's a world's difference.

First of all, dodging is waaaaaaaaaay better in DmC. Nero is a bitch because I can't RoyalGuard the lightning demons. Also you can't abuse the AI like in DmC, dumb stuff like none of the mobs attacking you if you aren't looking at them.

Or bosses and hard mobs straight up not attacking you.

Somebody has already put up a full-fledged Trophy Guide & Road Map thread on www.ps3trophies.org, and rated the platinum difficulty a 5. After seeing what the conditions for Hell or Hell mode were, I was expecting something on par with the Conqueror trophy from El Shaddai, but I'm glad to see that's not the case!

It's just tedious and time consuming and by the end of it you'll be sick of the game. But difficult it is not.

Carbonox

Yeah, I breezed through 15 missions of Son of Sparda with no trouble, then decided to play through DMC4 Son of Sparda again and it's a world's difference.

First of all, dodging is waaaaaaaaaay better in DmC. Nero is a bitch because I can't RoyalGuard the lightning demons. Also you can't abuse the AI like in DmC, dumb stuff like none of the mobs attacking you if you aren't looking at them.

Or bosses and hard mobs straight up not attacking you.

The Blitz demons are easy with Nero in DMC4.

Dodging might be better in DmC (though it looks more stylish in DMC4 when using Table Hopper or even Dante's DT Trickster techniques) but I find it a bit too OP when leading in to a counter. The demon dodge needs nerfing if it returns in a sequel.

Nemesis_

Oh wow, just noticed that the difficulty achievements don't stack. How annoying ;____;

Also, world #5 for Nephilim Mission11 ^_^

re:Dodging - I think this game (after Bayonetta) made me really appreciate how fun and enjoyable it is to be able to dodge cancel almost anything.

Dahbomb

Dodging IS way better in DmC. I am not even talking about demon dodge but the regular dodge. It's easier to execute, has more invulnerable active frames and less recovery. They didn't up the enemy attack speed or aggression to counter this.

Meh, game froze and corrupted my save again. Guess something is not right. I think I'll just leave it at that. I'm really not in the mood to play any more Nephilim missions. lol Too bad about the plat, though.

Top Bottom