• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sucks. I guess this game also has at least one scene where Dante gets a giant sword through his chest like all the others? Dunno why last post was ridiculed (unless I got that wrong), I didn't say anything about changing the rest of the game design or that I didn't like the world design in previous games and want it all open world, I only didn't like that despite their worlds being seamless and cohesive like any Resident Evil type game or whatever, they went and made it separate very artificially with the grading screens and missions. Those stat things could be done in the background or something rather than cut the game's flow.

Dahbomb

Your post wasn't ridiculed, the whole open level design has been brought up before and this is merely a continuation of that.

And actually there are very few scenes if any where Dante gets stabbed and shrugs it off like it's nothing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sucks. I guess this game also has at least one scene where Dante gets a giant sword through his chest like all the others? Dunno why last post was ridiculed (unless I got that wrong), I didn't say anything about changing the rest of the game design or that I didn't like the world design in previous games and want it all open world, I only didn't like that despite their worlds being seamless and cohesive like any Resident Evil type game or whatever, they went and made it separate very artificially with the grading screens and missions. Those stat things could be done in the background or something rather than cut the game's flow.
What's wrong with artifice? I like it in the older games. It's part of the pacing -- the end of a chapter and the beginning of a new one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's wrong with artifice? I like it in the older games. It's part of the pacing -- the end of a chapter and the beginning of a new one.
Maybe if it was done at decent relevant story points more like a book's chapters I could appreciate it but often you get different chapters with very little if any story development. Though I guess if they kept this same design and only altered where the chapters end and begin you'd then have even longer gameplay between saves. But it just seemed pointless to me, a lot like introducing it to RE4 out of nowhere when the others didn't have it. I saw DmC as much the same type of game but ditching the survival horror aspect and going for hack and slash, it just always seemed out of place and jarring to me, like a very weird fusion of RE's seamless worlds and more old school design where each level is a wholly separate entity and I saw no reason to fuse them in this way. I'd probably appreciate it more if the world wasn't seamless and you got wholly separate levels without backtracking outside where it's necessary. It just seems like conflicting design decisions to me when it's done in this manner. You either have seamless worlds like Resident Evil, Half-Life, etc, or separate levels, like Mario, Tomb Raider, etc. Not both.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Maybe if it was decent story points like a book's chapters I could appreciate it but often you get different chapters with very little if any story development. Though I guess if they kept this same design and only altered where the chapters end and begin you'd then have even longer gameplay between saves...
It's done by points in the game content though, levels, enemies, etc.

I want more games structured like the DMC games, not less. I think DMC1 got it right with its item limited continue system too.

and limited health/buff items too. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could only carry one vital star at the time. Making the game really about your skill, relatively speaking (since you could still carry over any Devil Stars from previous playthroughs)

and limited health/buff items too. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could only carry one vital star at the time. Making the game really about your skill, relatively speaking (since you could still carry over any Devil Stars from previous playthroughs)

The other games try to signal that items are basically cheats (via intense score penalty and the fact that game lets you hold an absurd amount of items). I do view it as a weakness though and I wish the games had just stayed with limited items like DMC1 (or better yet, get rid of them entirely).

Generally I avoid using items in all of the DMC games though.

The other games try to signal that items are basically cheats (via intense score penalty and the fact that game lets you hold an absurd amount of items). I do view it as a weakness though and I wish the games had just stayed with limited items like DMC1 (or better yet, get rid of them entirely).

Generally I avoid using items in all of the DMC games though.

I know but Nightmare 3 was so difficult :( I couldn't breath everytime when its health regenerates back to 25% at the end.

Carbonox

Man it took me a while to SSS rank the last mission on Nephilim (for the SSS all missions trophy). Osiris is a god send in that boss fight.

Got to play it earlier again and the lack of hard lock-on is really fucking with me after hours of DMC4. It's gonna take a while until I get the old stinger out of my system.

Monocle

Finally finished it.
DmC is the best mainstream action game ever made.
Period.
It's hard to tell what to make of this without knowing which action games you've played. Apart from DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Black (and maybe DMC4 on the strength of its combat system) Bayonetta pretty much chews up everything else and spits it out.

That's not a mark against DmC, it's a testament to the rare excellence of Bayonetta.

Carbonox

I just got 54m points on the first mission on DMD mode. Quite chuffed with that. :lol DMD is easy to farm style points on though.

Undead Unicorn

Neo Member
Hmmm, like they weren't with DmC

Now that it is, it's what people expected though? It isn't as bad as DMC 2, but it doesn't hold muster compared to the rest of the series. The story is dumb as fuck too boot, and not in charming way either like DMC 3 and the original, "the world is your bitch, and so am I".

I'm surprisingly enjoying this.

Firstly, the negatives. Remember, I shat all over the demo, I hated it. And even in the full game I still hate how this is running at only 30fps on consoles. The combat doesn't feel as fluid or as accurate as the older games either - I don't feel as 'in control'. Probably again related to the framerate. It still has that Ninja Theory 'clunky-ness' of Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, albeit somewhat improved.

However, that aside, it's still a shit load of fun. I just need to stop thinking of it as a DMC game and instead as something new. It looks beautiful, the voice acting is decent, and there's a few things that have made me chuckle already
the light-grey wig falling on Dante's head
. Going to have a lot of fun with this, it's just the type of game I need right now and the perfect break from all the shooters and 2D platformers I've been playing lately..
Boo this man, BOO THIS MAN!!!

Seriously though, try playing Bayonneta or MGR: Revegeance
Yep true, this game is fun but it's got nothing on games like Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (the first one).

V_Arnold

Now that it is, it's what people expected though? It isn't as bad as DMC 2, but it doesn't hold muster compared to the rest of the series. The story is dumb as fuck too boot, and not in charming way either like DMC 3 and the original, "the world is your bitch, and so am I".

I love how people who hate the DmC story bring up dumb demon's dumber quotes to somehow prove a point :D Lilith is a dumb whore, why cant she actually sound like one?

(And I bash the DmC story just fine, but the cringeworthy demon scenes are cringeworthy for a reason, imho. Overall, it still shits on DMC4, not that it is a particularly high mark to achieve...)

V_Arnold

Upon finishing that all SSS rank in Nephilim, something crept on me. I want to feel like a demigod. Like in Bayonetta. Upon going to sleep last night, I was starting to think about whether it is even possible in this game to become one, but I am not sure. It would have to involve some serious cancels and/or foresight - and at least the demon dodge EVERY DAMN TIME :(

Well, once I finish this, I will pick up those Bayonetta gauntlets, and do it again. This time, with pure platinum! :D

Undead Unicorn

Neo Member
I love how people who hate the DmC story bring up dumb demon's dumber quotes to somehow prove a point :D Lilith is a dumb whore, why cant she actually sound like one?

(And I bash the DmC story just fine, but the cringeworthy demon scenes are cringeworthy for a reason, imho. Overall, it still shits on DMC4, not that it is a particularly high mark to achieve...)

Because it isn't charming cheesy, it's just cringeworthy because it's trying way, way to hard to be genuinely serious then pulls out something like that. The Faux News network stuff is still funny and works for example, because it's 'tone free' satire. Hearing how Kat was raped by her father demon whatever, followed by a line like that or demon sex jokes doesn't work and ruins it.

This game is a weird mix of highs and lows in the non game play department in that regard. Forget Dante's punk look. Whatever. But add Vergil's fedora sporting ass, and even Evil Bill O'Reilly can't make up for it.

These pre-order deals are BS.
If the content is ready - just give it as a free update. It's not like they have to work for months on end after the games release to generate this new content.
$4 for costumes? $10 for virgil DLC? would have been so much better if they were unlockable so you had a good reason to go back into the game and collect orbs/achieve certain goals.
I know this is how DLC has been going the last year or more - but it's annoying. Given that I am getting the PC version, and steam has 75% off sales all the time, I'll probably pick up all the DLC for cheap - but sucks for console gamers anyway...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
These pre-order deals are BS.
If the content is ready - just give it as a free update. It's not like they have to work for months on end after the games release to generate this new content.
$4 for costumes? $10 for virgil DLC? would have been so much better if they were unlockable so you had a good reason to go back into the game and collect orbs/achieve certain goals.
I know this is how DLC has been going the last year or more - but it's annoying. Given that I am getting the PC version, and steam has 75% off sales all the time, I'll probably pick up all the DLC for cheap - but sucks for console gamers anyway...

Welcome to Capcpom. They are literally the worst with this stuff.

V_Arnold

Welcome to Capcpom. They are literally the worst with this stuff.

Nah, they are not. Cognitive dissonance, on the highest levels possible. Players simply are the most sensitive when it is with Capcom. Other developers and publishers can literally pull out WAY more and way higher priced dlc out of their asses, and get way less hatred for it.

One costume pack, a totally free bloody palace dlc and a "free to the vast majority of preorders / paid afterwards" Vergil DLC is easily a generous deal.

Nah, they are not. Cognitive dissonance, on the highest levels possible. Players simply are the most sensitive when it is with Capcom. Other developers and publishers can literally pull out WAY more and way higher priced dlc out of their asses, and get way less hatred for it.

One costume pack, a totally free bloody palace dlc and a "free to the vast majority of preorders / paid afterwards" Vergil DLC is easily a generous deal.

now let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Bought the game today and played the first mission. I played DMC 1-4 and I must say I am enjoying it so far....I really like the soundtrack.

Anyways, has anyone experienced choppiness in cutscenes/mission completion screens? Also I was having problems with audio cutting out....It doesn't do this with any of my other ps3 games so I was wondering if it was the game.

V_Arnold

Bought the game today and played the first mission. I played DMC 1-4 and I must say I am enjoying it so far....I really like the soundtrack.

Anyways, has anyone experienced choppiness in cutscenes/mission completion screens? Also I was having problems with audio cutting out....It doesn't do this with any of my other ps3 games so I was wondering if it was the game.

On 360, the mission completed scene constantly freezes for a good 2-3 seconds before the battle score comes up. It is weird.

Have not encountered the audio issues, but you are not the first to mention that - it might be a PS3-specific issue.

Nemesis_

I'm playing Mission 19 right now.

My only REAL complaint is the same - almost every single mission I've got at least an S on (most are SS) on my FIRST TURN on Nephilim mode. It just doesn't make sense to me - this shouldn't really be possible on a first playthrough.

Also, some of DMC's most infamous and enjoyable boss battles are those who are the same size as Dante. The most recent that comes to mind, for me, is Credo. Why they didn't do any of this in DmC (thus far) is a little bit disappointing.

V_Arnold

Let's just say they don't deserve any praise for including it post-launch.

And that was not my point at all. They certainly do not deserve any hate for having an industry standard (sadly, yeah, but not because of Capcom/Crapcom/whatever) preorder "incentive" and a cheap costume pack, alongside with a meaty free dlc.

And that was not my point at all. They certainly do not deserve any hate for having an industry standard (sadly, yeah, but not because of Capcom/Crapcom/whatever) preorder "incentive" and a cheap costume pack, alongside with a meaty free dlc.

Well, you included it in your "generous deal" and I just don't agree that it's generous. But yeah, Capcom isn't the worst when it comes to DLC, by far. THQ and their bullshit season passes take that crown.

Andrew.

Banned
Man, you guys weren't kiddin when you said that Bloodline (Mission 3) was the best and easiest way to score the 2 minute and No Hit trophies.

Ristlager

As a game this game is so far the best action game this gen. Everything but the fighting is so rubbish in Bayonetta, that in only got good on the second playthrough where you could skip the extremely dull/embarrasing and far to numerous cut sceenes and you also got laughable bad driving part twice. But the fighting in Bayo is better but does that make it a better game? I could not recommend Bayo to any of my causual friends, but I can easily to that with DmC. I have only played the first couple of stages of NGB (didn't like it much) so I can't really talk about that one.

Nemesis_

I don't really think the game having more casual appeal makes it better than Bayonetta.

Though using your criteria I would assume that MG Rising will quickly overtake DmC come February.

Just finished it btw, I'm a huge fan. I am not sure which I would prefer next (I know there isn't a choice, but it's nice to speculate) but I have definitely been captivated by this Dante. I don't even know why, some of the things he does I absolutely hate but some of the things he does just make me laugh or smile. It's a weird thing.

And it feels like a totally believable younger version of the original Dante, if that makes sense. I don't think his personality is too outlandish and it's not out of the question for him to mature further to become original Dante.

I hope that all made sense. >_>

Curufinwe

As a game this game is so far the best action game this gen. Everything but the fighting is so rubbish in Bayonetta, that in only got good on the second playthrough where you could skip the extremely dull/embarrasing and far to numerous cut sceenes and you also got laughable bad driving part twice. But the fighting in Bayo is better but does that make it a better game? I could not recommend Bayo to any of my causual friends, but I can easily to that with DmC. I have only played the first couple of stages of NGB (didn't like it much) so I can't really talk about that one.

You could skip cutscenes in the first playthru of Bayonetta. And if you thought they were embarrassing, I don't know why you think cringeworthy crap like this is any better, or easier to recommend to casual players.

Because it isn't charming cheesy, it's just cringeworthy because it's trying way, way to hard to be genuinely serious then pulls out something like that. The Faux News network stuff is still funny and works for example, because it's 'tone free' satire. Hearing how Kat was raped by her father demon whatever, followed by a line like that or demon sex jokes doesn't work and ruins it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
People don't play character action games for the story or the platforming. Wait, let me correct myself. Sane people don't play character action games for the story or the platforming.

jett

D-Member
You could skip cutscenes in the first playthru of Bayonetta. And if you thought they were embarrassing, I don't know why you think cringeworthy crap like this is any better, or easier to recommend to casual players.

Please, DmC's plotting is inoffensive, dull at worst.

Bayonetta's cut-scenes, story and characters were offensively garbage, straight-up shit. As embarrassing and incomprehensible as a video game plot can get. Good thing what mattered was genius, but there really was a lot of this crap in the game.

Equating DmC's story to Bayonetta's is like equating DmC's combat to DMC2's.

Top Bottom