• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

K.Sabot

One really has to contain a lot of nostalgia to choose DMC4 story over DmC. None of them is good, but DmC at least contains some coherence. DMC4 is just..*shuts up*

Well it's not really nostalgia because I just played it, perhaps DmC's story just seems that much worse in retrospect.

Dahbomb

DmCs story is not "bad" but it doesn't live up to its own potential and the creative liberties they took with the franchise amounted to nothing as they ended up as open and blank as any other DMC game.

DMC4 story is bad for a bunch of reasons. There isn't any redeeming quality about its story... it was dumb while also being needlessly convoluted.

Apparently its cool now to hate on OG Dante going by the posts in that "cool" characters thread.

One really has to contain a lot of nostalgia to choose DMC4 story over DmC. None of them is good, but DmC at least contains some coherence. DMC4 is just..*shuts up*

I'm pretty sure if anybody likes DMC4's "story" it's down to the action in cut-scenes along the the Shakespeare ridiculousness as opposed to any kind of cohesive narrative.

Hopefully so.

Man it's been 3 fucking days since the game's release.

*No fucking SWAG video.

Most of that is Capcom being Capcpom but the lack of swag videos is a stain on the DMC community. For shame

I think this is a resolute vote of no confidence in this new direction of the series. I know its a good game in its own right, but its still not DMC in many peoples eyes.

Furthermore more importantly, many people have moved on from making combo videos. DMC3 was 8 years ago, DMC4 was 5.

Most of the people who would of made a combo video once apon at time, even if they like the game will probably just play thorough and occaisonally dropped the odd tech hint in forums and the like.

Dumbing down the combat pretty much ensures that there wont be a new generation to pick up the slack, least not to the extent of previous games.

There will be swag videos at some point, but past the first 6 months, don't expect to see many people exploring the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I finished the game.

Ninja Theory's games have always had an impressive, but this to me, is one of their best works. Specficially, the way the world deconstructs and reconstructs. I won't spoil anything, but towards the end of the game, it gets crazy good. The
night club
stuff was also super impressive. But it just animates the world so well. I was surprised that I had little framerate drops when it would do that stuff.

I found myself enjoying Dante and Kat, but I thought Vergil and Mundus were really phoned in. Mundus wasn't threatening and kind of felt monotone, and Vergil was just kind of... there. I'm also happy to say that I enjoyed the gameplay. I'm not very good at the DMC style of games. I can finish them on medium difficulties, and I enjoy them for that, but I'll never be great at style. I still had a ton of fun with this one's gameplay though, but I was definitely in it for the visuals, and the gameplay was better than I thought it would be.

Heavenly Sword and Enslaved didn't do anything for me, but this is the first NT game I've finished that I thought 'I wanna see more'. Which is not to say that I necessarily want another DMC, but I hope they learned some better gameplay mechanics from this and can combine it with their incredible environmental artists. A new IP would be cool, or if you told me they were making a new Onimusha inspired by sumi-e but still using their usual stuff underneath it. I'd be interested in that.

Better than I thought, for sure. Keep in mind, I was never a huge DMC fan though, so that may wane you or encourage you.
I've never played a DMC game. I'm thinking about picking this one up based on the positive reviews. Should I grab it for PS3 or 360? Are they both on par?

360's better, but PS3's fine outside of some cutscene FPS drops.

V_Arnold

Nope, this game will have great combo videos - dealwithit.gif.

Edit: also, all Nephilim missions on SSS completed. Phew. GTFO, Furnace of Souls level, GTFO.

Dahbomb

There WILL be swag videos, they will come soon and they WILL be awesome. While it's true that the game's swag video momentum may not last for 5+ years like DMC3/DMC4 I still think a subset of players will support it for quite some time.

I've never played a DMC game. I'm thinking about picking this one up based on the positive reviews. Should I grab it for PS3 or 360? Are they both on par?
360 version is better but PC version is best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do think the weapon selection is kind of lame though. Rebellion's fine, Arbiter's fine, Aquila's awesome, and the guns are cool, but I never had a Ninja Gaiden feeling of 'oh I Want to use this one more because it's fun in a different way'. I hated the fists and Osiris.

But I haven't played DMC in so long, I don't know if that's usually how it is or not. I imagine NG always put more emphasis on multiple weapons.

Yeah, right. I could join you with predicting how many months this game still have left (why 6? let us go in hardcore, give it 3 months :D), but I would rather play :p

Well nobody is stopping you from doing that. But as this is a discussion forum, I see nothing wrong with discussing the future of the series.

Obviously you cannot read.

dealwithit.gif

Actually, I agree. The people who would have been hype about this game weren't hyped. Those of you who walked in willing to give the game a chance did so with trepidation. I haven't played the game yet but even now, looking forward to the game, I don't feel motivated to get to its core like I would have if this game was exactly what I wanted it to be.

It's still early days, however.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I do think the weapon selection is kind of lame though. Rebellion's fine, Arbiter's fine, Aquila's awesome, and the guns are cool, but I never had a Ninja Gaiden feeling of 'oh I Want to use this one more because it's fun in a different way'. I hated the fists and Osiris.

But I haven't played DMC in so long, I don't know if that's usually how it is or not. I imagine NG always put more emphasis on multiple weapons.

I agree that Osiris and the fists are eh...also the fists make you look like Popeye.

Dahbomb

Game needs someone like the guy who made HSID to shake up the community. Right now I think everyone knows the game has combo potential but they don't really have a good idea of where to start. Plus one thing is for sure, spamming enemy step is no longer swag in DmC because of how the timing of attacks work. The vets need to play DmC like DmC and that's a lot of muscle memory that needs to be rewired.

Mokudin

Neo Member

Nope, 4's biggest issue is not explicitly naming Nero as Vergil's son and not fleshing out Kyrie enough. DmC's story goes so bad at the end the only DMC I feel comfortable saying it has a better story than is 2.

Game needs someone like the guy who made HSID to shake up the community. Right now I think everyone knows the game has combo potential but they don't really have a good idea of where to start. Plus one thing is for sure, spamming enemy step is no longer swag in DmC because of how the timing of attacks work. The vets need to play DmC like DmC and that's a lot of muscle memory that needs to be rewired.

This is one of the most important points.

Its a case of convincing people to think about the game on its strengths, not with their existing skillset.

Not only that, but convincing them there is some merit to rewiring their skills and its not working with a broken system.

id never think id ever say a brea or kail Combo video was average or weak.

Aqulia needs to be promoted as THE combo weapon to use. It is the second best thing in this game full stop, with dreamrunner/Dravak being the first.

SimonA

Neo Member

I thought the muscle memory argument was frowned upon by NeoGAF. Some deemed it laughable.

Not yer muscle memoriez!

"My muscle memory" must be the funniest argument made for a while. I mean read what you wrote just now and try to look at it objectively :b

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol so I finished the Gold Traversal challenge in 2 seconds. I was near the end and the time ran out, and it said 'hit select to start', and I hit select and it just kept me where I was, so I dropped right in front of the end and went through.

I'd also like to echo the statements given by ToS in regards to combo videos. DMC4 came out 5 years ago. The people that made DMC combo videos with DMC3 and 4 are now 8 and 5 years older respectively. The free time a 20 year old has back then is much different than a 28 year old. I used to do so much shit with the DMC community, to now - where I don't even have the means to play DmC until 3 months from now due to med school.

I that I think a new generation of fans and different people will be making combo videos for DmC.

DMC4 has the depth to last 10 years, but does DmC? Probably not, but it does have depth and it is a ton of fun. We'll see some stuff, just wait on it.

Hating on OG Dante and the original series has long since been the agenda for a certain group of people.

"Hating" "Agendas" and "groups of people" has been the full story in regards to DmC's pre-release.

Ein Bear

I thought the muscle memory argument was frowned upon by NeoGAF. Some deemed it laughable.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable problem to me. I sunk over 100 hours into DMC4, and my first few hours with DmC were absolute murder because I was so used to the old playstyle.

Dahbomb

Pretty sure the context in which that comment was made was very differentt. The muscle memory that I am talking about is not something that applies to most people here but to the top 1% of DMC3/DMC4 players. You can't expect them to hop into DmC and be as good as they are now with DMC3/DMC4. I know this seems contrary to all my "whens the swag videos coming" but its still true.

Even then I expect some players who got the game early to have something done by now. We have seen previews of this so I KNOW something is in the works, its just a matter of time.

"Hating" "Agendas" and "groups of people" has been the full story in regards to DmC's pre-release.

The developers of this game have made nothing but complete and absolute shit previously, by all accounts this game should be a complete fucking disaster. This game deserved absolutely nothing but intense skepticism since the start. The fact that it isn't making people throw up when they put in the disc - I can only assume is because of Capcom's involvement. Maybe Ninja Theory has learned to make games on their own that are not complete garbage from this joint venture but it is still really hard to believe considering their previous work and their companies ethos.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hopefully so.

Man it's been 3 fucking days since the game's release.

*No fucking SWAG video.
*No information on when we are going to get the Bloody Palace or what changes are in the Title update.
*No information on how to get the alternate costumes

Capcom needs to roll out the post-release content while the hype on this game is strong.

Expect an announcement soon. I assume that they're going to release something when Revengeance comes out due to competition and partially to steal sales so... yeah.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Played the first few missions. As someone that loved DMC & Bayonetta, really liked DMC 3 and kinda liked DMC4 (I skipped 2) I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm no hardcore fan however, and only played those games on their default difficulty.

Losing DMC's classic Lock On button for L & R representing opposing weapons (a la Heavenly Sword) is an interesting choice. I don't think it's necessarily better than having a Lock On button (and the flexibility that affords), just different. Took me a while to get the hang of a single button launcher. I do like having instant access to multiple weapons though, and I'm already stringing together multi-weapon combos pretty well.

Not sure if the overall system is more accessible for beginners or not, but I guess it means more happens if you just mash buttons.

Not a huge fan of counter-dodge being RL and RB together. Much prefer Bayonetta's dodge/counter system. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

The camera is mixed. I like being able to control it when I need to, but I remember the pre-set tracking viewpoints of the DMC games as framing the action better (and more dramatically).

Enjoying the story so far for what it is. Cut-scenes are decent. Nothing too convoluted or embarrassing.

Definitely miss 60fps.

Looking forward to playing more...

Not a huge fan of counter-dodge being RL and RB together. Much prefer Bayonetta's dodge/counter system. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

You can perform special dodges using any combination of a dodge.

So you can dodge with RT and LB. Or LT and RB.

I don't know why they said demon dodge is performed by RT + RB. You can perform a demon dodge by pressing RT+LB, thus avoiding claw hand.

jett

D-Member
Demon dodge is the only one that is useful. Angel dodge should increase your speed or something hah, I don't know. Chaining an angel dodge after a demon one is kinda swag, but the actual space you cover is so small it's really not very useful.

Speaking of increasing game speed, I wonder if a turbo mod for the PC version is possible.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Demon dodge is the only one that is useful. Angel dodge should increase your speed or something hah, I don't know. Chaining an angel dodge after a demon one is kinda swag, but the actual space you cover is so small it's really not very useful.

Speaking of increasing game speed, I wonder if a turbo mod for the PC version is possible.

I just hope someone mods it to remove the pause between attacks since that seriously annoys me.

Dahbomb

Angel Dodge is useful for shaving extra seconds of your mission timer because you can use it after Air glide. Plus it's swag when used during combos.

jett

D-Member
Angel Dodge is useful for shaving extra seconds of your mission timer because you can use it after Air glide. Plus it's swag when used during combos.

For traversal it's faster to just jump and glide again. Stinger ad nauseam might be faster even. Angel dodge is useful for sequence breaking some stuff, I don't know how much of that you can do in the final game but it can be done in the demo.

Dahbomb

For traversal it's faster to just jump and glide again. Stinger ad nauseam might be faster even. Angel dodge is useful for sequence breaking some stuff, I don't know how much of that you can do in the final game but it can be done in the demo.
I meant like after you do like a platform jump with Air Glide you can add on an Angel Teleport after that.

Finished OG DMC and just started DMC2. Before the first level ended I had an epiphany. You know how people hate poorly designed underwater levels in games, DMC2 is an action game based around that!

It's borderline unplayable for crying out loud! I know it's stupid complaining about this literally just over a decade later, but wow. To the games credit, it has my favorite aerial gun animations in the series!

For the Original DMC, it has aged decently, but I'd like to see something akin to a Twin Snakes rendition of it sometime in the future.

I'm pretty sure if anybody likes DMC4's "story" it's down to the action in cut-scenes along the the Shakespeare ridiculousness as opposed to any kind of cohesive narrative.
I'm man enough to admit that my wife and I enjoyed the love story between Nero and Karie(sp?)

Now that I have a new HDD, I can pop that game back in.

Dahbomb

I think a DMC1 reboot would be pretty awesome actually if only they would reboot DMC3 as well. Not a DmC style reboot but basically updated engine, more bosses/enemies, more detailed environments, more abilities, better camera, increased speed for DMC1 and mechanics. DMC3 with on the fly style switch would be boss and DMC1 with on the fly weapon switch WITH styles would be amazing as well. They can also touch up the story and cutscenes of each game especially DMC1, I felt that after DMC3 the climax scene between Nelo Angelo 3 and Dante was extremely cryptic and could've been so much more epic.

Most likely just like Twin Snakes they would fuck up the voice acting and the balance of the games producing a lesser quality product. But if they do it REmake style... OH man.

I think a DMC1 reboot would be pretty awesome actually if only they would reboot DMC3 as well. Not a DmC style reboot but basically updated engine, more bosses/enemies, more detailed environments, more abilities, better camera, increased speed for DMC1 and mechanics. DMC3 with on the fly style switch would be boss and DMC1 with on the fly weapon switch WITH styles would be amazing as well. They can also touch up the story and cutscenes of each game especially DMC1, I felt that after DMC3 the climax scene between Nelo Angelo 3 and Dante was extremely cryptic and could've been so much more epic.

Most likely just like Twin Snakes they would fuck up the voice acting and the balance of the games producing a lesser quality product. But if they do it REmake style... OH man.

Hell nah.

Dahbomb

Hell nah.
Ah why not? DMC1 runs on molasses compared to the newer games. I am not talking about making it absurd combo heavy game but just from a progression sakes in terms of story... it makes no sense that Dante becomes significantly slower and less skilled after DMC3. That's why I said they should reboot both the games so they have a unified vision and direction.

Ah why not? DMC1 runs on molasses compared to the newer games. I am not talking about making it absurd combo heavy game but just from a progression sakes in terms of story... it makes no sense that Dante becomes significantly slower and less skilled after DMC3. That's why I said they should reboot both the games so they have a unified vision and direction.

Because the game is practically perfect as-is as a combination action/horror game. Leave it be, DMC3 propelled the series to stylish heights but I think the original is incredible as-is.

I mean I may be biased considering 1 is my favorite. I think the only thing that truly bugs me in one is the weird way Dante slows up and speeds down between footsteps.

Finally beat it.

Was pretty cool.

The final final boss was piss easy tho.

Some enemies were pretty annoying to fight but I had fun overall.

I only played DMC3 and 4 outside of this so my ranking is meaningless. But I really haven't played a bad one lol.

As for the story, it was ok...kinda by the book honestly. Had some moments spoiled (Vergil moment you know the one...lol) but still nothing ground breaking.

I'm torn on Dante's voice actor...his yells are pretty bad. Vergil is meh too.

I want DMC5 more than DmC2 because I like craaazzaaay antics more but I would'nt be crushed either way....

cut down on the "you can only kill them one way enemies" and we are good honestly. Give me a action sandbox.

Fun game. I'm too pussy for the higher difficulties tho. So I'll wait until the Vergil DLC...might try to hunt down the HD collection or rent it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone got a couple tips for the Mission 19 boss
Mundus
? I have no healing items or gold orbs and can't buy anything since I'm in the mission already and there doesn't seem to be any attacks to get a good demon dodge on for the damage boost.

Dahbomb

Because the game is practically perfect as-is as a combination action/horror game. Leave it be, DMC3 propelled the series to stylish heights but I think the original is incredible as-is.
Well I would be fine if they never touched those games but I am talking about the hypothetical situation of IF they decide to touch them.

Also remove the swimming and flying missions from DMC1. Those are the things that kept DMC1 from being perfection.

Anyone got a couple tips for the Mission 19 boss
Mundus
? I have no healing items or gold orbs and can't buy anything since I'm in the mission already and there doesn't seem to be any attacks to get a good demon dodge on for the damage boost.
I only fought the boss fight once so I don't have a really solid tactic yet but people on other places said that his meteors are like colored enemies and have to be parried by the appropriate weapon. Don't know how accurate this claim is but it's worth a try.

I like this man. Hire him, Capcom. I'd love to see DMC with DMC3's engine. The other additions I'd like to see with the ones you've already posted is restructuring of missions (no more pointless 2 minute sprints), no underwater sections (how'd I forget about those), and a revamp of the style system. Real talk, do you really think they could make the DMC voice acting worse though?

Top Bottom