• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

All these suggestions would be better served as Devil May Cry 5 or DmC2 than putzing around with a groundbreaking game from 2001.
But most of these suggestions wouldn't really make DMC5 a better game though as by now all these things are standard. DMC5 has to ADD on top of all of that stuff to be a relevant game.

Besides talks of remaking DMC is pointless as we JUST had one 3 days ago. With the way they left DmC open like that... they CAN EASILY and I mean EASILY make a DmC2 that basically follows the plot of DMC3 to the exact detail.

But most of these suggestions wouldn't really make DMC5 a better game though as by now all these things are standard. DMC5 has to ADD on top of all of that stuff to be a relevant game.

Besides talks of remaking DMC is pointless as we JUST had one 3 days ago. With the way they left DmC open like that... they CAN EASILY and I mean EASILY make a DmC2 that basically follows the plot of DMC3 to the exact detail.

Agreed. I'd be disappointed if a hypothetical DMC5 wasn't something new. Like 3, I'd like to see it introduce something that hasn't been done in an Action game before. The thing that makes the DMC series great is the variation between the games. All, excluding 2, are similar in a lot of aspects but each game is a unique entity in the series.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well I would be fine if they never touched those games but I am talking about the hypothetical situation of IF they decide to touch them.

Also remove the swimming and flying missions from DMC1. Those are the things that kept DMC1 from being perfection.

I only fought the boss fight once so I don't have a really solid tactic yet but people on other places said that his meteors are like colored enemies and have to be parried by the appropriate weapon. Don't know how accurate this claim is but it's worth a try.

Guess I'll just keep at it. I'm pretty tired so my skills are deteriorating but I'm at the end so I want to finish, especially since I'm leaving town tomorrow.

ezekial45

Banned
Finally beat it.

Was pretty cool.

The final final boss was piss easy tho.

Some enemies were pretty annoying to fight but I had fun overall.

I only played DMC3 and 4 outside of this so my ranking is meaningless. But I really haven't played a bad one lol.

As for the story, it was ok...kinda by the book honestly. Had some moments spoiled (Vergil moment you know the one...lol) but still nothing ground breaking.

I'm torn on Dante's voice actor...his yells are pretty bad. Vergil is meh too.

I want DMC5 more than DmC2 because I like craaazzaaay antics more but I would'nt be crushed either way....

cut down on the "you can only kill them one way enemies" and we are good honestly. Give me a action sandbox.

Fun game. I'm too pussy for the higher difficulties tho. So I'll wait until the Vergil DLC...might try to hunt down the HD collection or rent it.

You should try the extra difficulties. That's where the game really begins. SoS mode is pretty damn awesome starter for the extra difficulties.

LOZLINK

Beat it today Game took me about 11 hours, could be done in about 8 if you don't care about the side shit. Gameplay is actually alright, but some aspects are introduced too late and are utterly useless. Game is easy as fuck even on demon hunter, didn't even use a lot of my upgrades. Story is fairly shit, and you can tell by the corporate office level Ninja theory was pushing some 99% agenda or some shit lol. I wouldn't put it pass the director, after he based dante on himself. Writing is terrible, and it seems like they're catering to the CoD crowd with the amount of fucks and unnecessary swearing. Characters......there's only like 4 of them lol.

Fuck it, I like Arkham's combat system. When you flowing around a room as Batman, hitting that critical strike rhythm, I feel like a g. Nowhere near the depth of some other action games you can name, but I enjoy that shit.

Fuck it, I like Arkham's combat system. When you flowing around a room as Batman, hitting that critical strike rhythm, I feel like a g. Nowhere near the depth of some other action games you can name, but I enjoy that shit.

I don't think the system is deep, but it certainly requires a element of skill. And it is fun. Likewise with Wolverine orgins although I give wolverine the edge in combat.

Im really interested to see how Deadpool turns out.

Real G all right, and if your timing is right you can counter shit, break bones, and temporarily disable a large group of people

Ein Bear

Arkham's combat system is fucking awesome, but it's not really comparable to something like the DMC series. They're different types of game, and I enjoy them in different ways.

every time I have to fight in the Arkham games I'm like "this is what taiko drum master prepared me for"

sneaking up on your prey is where it's at, the forced fights bore me to death

Sargerus

Banned
Finally finished it.
DmC is the best mainstream action game ever made.
Period.

ijkH5AnJEAf9y.gif

Wolverine: Origins, yeah I liked that one. Maybe wore out it's welcome after awhile(arkham has the benefit of not being a brawler 24/7), all those big Wendigo fights felt the same, but that was better than any game based off that shitty movie had any right to be.

damn you guys for reminding me that Raven has been delegated to designing CoD mappacks for all eternity. until they are dissolved, that is.

Sargerus

Banned
Wolverine: Origins, yeah I liked that one. Maybe wore out it's welcome after awhile(arkham has the benefit of not being a brawler 24/7), all those big Wendigo fights felt the same, but that was better than any game based off that shitty movie had any right to be.

A rare occasion which a movie based game was better than the actual movie

Batman is satisfying as fuck. That said, it's pretty much a rhythm game.

The problem with DMC is that it requires all of technical proficiency, good situational awareness and creativity to get the most out of it. The point at which you can start doing cool looking shit comes a lot sooner in Batman, Bayo too actually.

Oh yeah, since I've been playing 4. Man, that game is stingy as fuck with abilities. By the time I'd finished Nero's shit I still didn't have Enemy Step or any of the DT abilities. Vanilla Nero is boring as hell, whereas the first Catwoman fight in AC, you had the gist of things already.

I think Raven Software did that one. Those guys always used to make solid action games/shooters.

Unfortunate that a good shooter like Singularity bombed. 40 of their employees got laid off, and now they're stuck making CoD map packs :/

Ahasverus

Ok. Not too difficult being ahead of God of War in this subset of the action genre.
Yoy got me man.

Urgh.

well You are entitled to your opinion I guess.

Still, Urgh.

this is why we can't have nice things.

With mainstream I'm excluding the OLD Devil May Cry games as they required quite dedication, I'm talking about the God of War, Castlevania LoS and pals crowd. I'd venture myself and say that it's a better than playing any of the old DMC's as a casual as you feel you are not getting the most of them.

The game is just so satisfying yet NOT easy (for a mainstream action fan, as myself) has some technique even in low difficulties. I can see why the old DMC games are so revered, I can't help but imagine what could have been done in those as an expert. I HATE to be a PR parrot, but they were right with the "giving "casuals" the feel of a pro gamer" or something like that. When you finish this game with your sweat and bloood (and as a casual you will) you will FEEL you are a god.

Still tried to play DMC3 after and was ass-kicked but god knows I'll try again tomorrow.

I played this one on Demon hunter (normal?) mode.

Arkham's combat system is fucking awesome, but it's not really comparable to something like the DMC series. They're different types of game, and I enjoy them in different ways.

The Batman games are pretty much beat-em-ups. Sure there's a combo meter and all your gadgets, but it's not really about technical skill as much as it's about rhythm. It feels great though, and the counter system is BUTTERY smooth, so I could understand why someone could prefer it to something like Bayo and DMC. (though Bayonetta is even smoother because of how cancel heavy and free form it feels)

Seems to me like you don't want anyone to like this game.

Please don't put words in my proverbial mouth.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying this game immensely, even more than any DMC to date

But to say it is BETTER than all then all the previous DMC's GOW's, NG's, Bayonetta and a whole hoard of other action games after 3 fucking days is a bit much.

Still, I'm not trying to shoot him down, his opinion is his opinion. I just don't agree.

With mainstream I'm excluding the OLD Devil May Cry games as they required quite dedication, I'm talking about the God of War, Castlevania LoS and pals crowd. I'd venture myself and say that it's a better than playing any of the old DMC's as a casual as you feel you are not getting the most of them.

The game is just so satisfying yet NOT easy (for a mainstream action fan, as myself) has some technique even in low difficulties. I can see why the old DMC games are so revered, I can't help but imagine what could have been done in those as an expert. I HATE to be a PR parrot, but they were right with the "giving "casuals" the feel of a pro gamer" or something like that. When you finish this game with your sweat and bloood (and as a casual you will) you will FEEL you are a god.

Still tried to play DMC3 after and was ass-kicked but god knows I'll try again tomorrow.

I played this one on Demon hunter (normal?) mode.

You don't have to justify yourself, your opinion is your opinion.

I still don't agree though, even with the clarification.

Dahbomb

Like I said when you add mainstream into that genre it becomes a very easy choice for me personally. Although I don't think DmC is THAT mainstream, the barrier of entry is but the skill ceiling and replay value of the game transcends those other games you listed.

As much as I hate to admit it, NT lower the skill cap on some of the techniques in the game making it so people have a better grasp of high flying combos makes people enjoy it a lot more. Like when I was pulling some shit in DmC, I know that it took me ten times that much effort and time spent on the previous DMC games to look that stylish. Instant gratification works, there is no question about that. At least DmC has some depth underneath all of that so it stands above games like GoW and Batman AA (all good games though in their own right).

Ahasverus

Like I said when you add mainstream into that genre it becomes a very easy choice for me personally. Although I don't think DmC is THAT mainstream, the barrier of entry is but the skill ceiling and replay value of the game transcends those other games you listed.

Of course, that makes it the best, I think.

+1 to this post.

Makes you feel like the goddamn Batman when you nail it perfectly, expecially afterwards when he does that animation where it looks like he's just warming up LOL

Dahbomb

I like the Batman games a lot too. Nothing wrong with enjoying a straight forward combat system if it's fun and well executed.

Hell I like my Dynasty Warriors games too for the mindless crowd control insanity.

Ahasverus

It's pretty sad when you consider the 2.5+m DMC4 as "niche". You guys sure ate up that publisher PR this generation :p

I don't deny the commercial success, but as I said, playing DMC3 as a standard "plug and play" game was a chore and you'll miss what makes it good in the first place. Not only it just becomes a hack and slash, it becomes a VERY FRUSTRATING one. I'm not saying this approach was better, and that this is better game than those that came before (as I haven't experienced as it's due) but this game triumphs over the mainstream ones. Not getting hopelessly ass kicked by a regular monster-witch-reaper in the first 15 minutes helps a lot :p

So for those that have beat it; what next? Are you keeping it? Replaying it or have you sold it and already moved on?
Will replay it of course! Will try higher difficulties. Not trying mastering it though, Rising is just around the corner. Still well worth the $90 I played for it.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone got a couple tips for the Mission 19 boss
Mundus
? I have no healing items or gold orbs and can't buy anything since I'm in the mission already and there doesn't seem to be any attacks to get a good demon dodge on for the damage boost.

He's cake, you just need to learn the patterns.

When he raises a fist, you can see a red circle particle effect where he's going to hit, which tracks you. Jump and angel dash away, immediately turn around and angel lift to his fist and hit it until he pulls back.

When he lifts both fists, just double jump over the lava wave, angel lift to a fist, and hit it.

His meteor can be parried with just Rebellion, but it moves quick.

When he rears back to puke acid, run to the opposite side of the platform, and grab the angel lift grapple point to a new platform.

I don't think it's fair to say that DmC is a mainstream game just because its simpler than other DMC games.

If you take the combat for granted is it better than God of War 2 and Batman?

God of War 2 is the best mainstream action game IMO

Guys, I haven't paid too much addition - is there a taunt button is this game? No taunt would be weird but in every video I've seen I havent seen any taunts.

I love me some GoW2. The pacing on that thing from the island all the way to the Sisters/The Gauntlet/Zeus is phenomenal. Just the right mix of enemies, puzzles, transversal elements, boss encounters, new gadget/magic to play around with, etc.

GoW3 has it's strengths, but it's a clearly inferior game in my mind. I feel like the pacing and level design are just night and day. Not to mention those damn unskippable cutscenes kills the replay value.

Ein Bear

Guys, I haven't paid too much addition - is there a taunt button is this game? No taunt would be weird but in every video I've seen I havent seen any taunts.

No, no taunt button sadly. The excuse was that it wouldn't gel with emotional beats in the story if you could have Dante taunting away at enemies.

Though that's a pretty crappy excuse, since
I thought his happy "YEEAH!" when doing the Eryx ground pound during the seige on The Order's base was hilariously out of place too. Guess NT forgot about that one, eh?

I love me some GoW2. The pacing on that thing from the island all the way to the Sisters/The Gauntlet/Zeus is phenomenal. Just the right mix of enemies, puzzles, transversal elements, boss encounters, new gadget/magic to play around with, etc.

GoW3 has it's strengths, but it's a clearly inferior game in my mind. I feel like the pacing and level design are just night and day. Not to mention those damn unskippable cutscenes kills the replay value.

Yup that game is an absolute masterpiece but for many reasons that go beyond the combat, something no DMC game really does.

Dahbomb

No taunts.

So for those that have beat it; what next? Are you keeping it? Replaying it or have you sold it and already moved on?
Beat the game -> Get all the Keys and Lost Souls -> Beat all the Secret Missions -> Get full health bar and DT bar -> SoS mode -> DMD mode -> Bloody Palace -> Vergil DLC

If I beat BP before Vergil DLC come then I will be playing the 2 HoH modes and trying to get SSS rank in as many missions as possible.

Top Bottom