• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'll never understand how gaming outlet set multiplatform scores.

360 version : 8.0
ps3 version : 7.5, why? Has some texture pop-in and slight framerate drops compared to the 360 version.

pc version : 120 fps, better image quality, more settings, higher resolution, did I say 120 fps? 120 fps. 120 fps. 300 fps.... 8.0

ps3 version : 7.5, why? Has some texture pop-in and slight framerate drops compared to the 360 version.

pc version : 120 fps, better image quality, more settings, higher resolution, did I say 120 fps? 120 fps. 120 fps. 300 fps.... 8.0

MMmmm, perhaps the reviewers thought the PS3 version could be better optimized unlike the Xbox and PC versions.

Spruchy

I've been playing my friend's 360 version, got to mission 8, stopping here and bought the PC version.

Had very low expectations and hate myself for liking a game that is basically a dumbed down version of a beloved franchise, but it's too good.

EDIT: I don't like how you can't dodge out of many moves, but maybe that would make the game even easier than it already is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
MMmmm, perhaps the reviewers thought the PS3 version could be better optimized unlike the Xbox and PC versions.

Could be, or it could be that the framerate and visuals directly correlate to one's enjoyment of the game ( regardless of how minuscule ) and thus would have the decency in scoring accordingly, i.e the version that runs infinitely better should receive a higher score just like how the one running worse got a lower one.

But nah, I'm sure the score discrepancy is but a comment on how the versions should adhere to a lowest common denominator and not step anyone on the toes.

Or maybe all that is just conjecture from my part.

Ricker

Finished the game this morning...really liked it,some awesome missions,beautiful graphics(360),great action and combos galore...Ninja Theory delivers again...

Raxus

Dodging IS way better in DmC. I am not even talking about demon dodge but the regular dodge. It's easier to execute, has more invulnerable active frames and less recovery. They didn't up the enemy attack speed or aggression to counter this.

Don't get me started on the Angel dodge. I look forward to the videos of people abusing the shit out of it.

Yeah, a lot of my friends on Facebook are media. They are all praising it but then think it's hard. They found it hard to believe that you could get through the game without using items.

ibv6vkhXX1B9Qn.gif

Media being bad at action games? You don't say.

Finally ! I finished the game! here are my thoughts:

+Amazing Visuals: the graphics and the environments of this game look splendid, most of the time you're out in amazing places that could take your breath away, sure the game puts you in tight corridors every now and then but when it goes into an open environment, it's unlike anything seen in DMC before and DMC had darn great visuals, character models look fantastic too, I may not like them from an artistic standpoint but from a technical standpoint they look pretty good.

+Combat:
Thank the Lord, the combat is the best thing about the game, it flows naturally and feels organic, I am very glad Ninja Theory didn't fill it with Quick-Time events like their previous games, there are a good variety of combos and weapons to choose from, though the colors mechanic is annoying and it's been done better in other games (Like Lords of Shadow and the fantastic indie title Outland), but that almost doesn't hinder the experience, though the dodge mechanic suffers from the "animation priority syndrome" which can get you in trouble quite a lot.

+The new Camera system is fantastic: seriously, the fixed camera system used in DMC4 was outdated, pretty glad they used the free roaming camera in this one.

+There are a lot of things to collect in the levels: Yep, the game makes it pretty convenient for you to 100% it, and you can even access the challenge rooms through the main menu, which is a huge plus.

- The writing is bad and pretentious: Seriously, it's like the game doesn't know what does it want to be, sometimes to goes for the camp route and sometimes the serious route, and because of that the tone is all over the place (a problem the game shares with the developer's previous game Enslaved and to a lesser extent Heavenly Sword), many of the plot twists are predictable and can be seen miles away, Dante himself comes off as a brat and everyone else is just one dimensional, we barely get a glimpse of the world after the ending, so we don't know if out actions were fruitful. Also, really Ninja Theory ? Bill O'reilly lookalike ? yeah that won't make your game seem outdated at all few years from now.

- Bad platforming sections:Platforming simply sucks in this game, it's more of a chore and filler than an actual mechanic, many of them lack challenge because they're all trial and error based, and having this gliding ability feel gimmicky and the game should've had a normal and easily navigable jump instead of this.

-Boss-Fights are poorly designed: This is disappointing, not only the boss's weaknesses are as obvious as the Mario Galaxy games, you don't have to use them most of the time ! you can hit the boss anywhere and you'll get his health down, and you'll be forced to use the hookshot gimmick against most of them which is annoying.

-The lack of challenge: contrary to popular belief, the game is not a baby walk, but it's nowhere near as challenging as the previous DMC games which is a huge letdown for me, DMC is one of those rare games that provides you with excellent and fair challenge if you have the patience.

Overall, I enjoyed it, it's nowhere near as good as the previous DMC games with the exception of 2, but it's still good on it's own right, and thankfully better than most action games released recently, I hope you can improve the game in the sequel Ninja Theory :)

ezekial45

Banned
The design of mission 18 was just fucking awesome. I loved the
mission details written in chalk that would fade in and out.
It worked very well.

Carbonox

How the fuck has the #1 player on the leaderboards got over 1 billion points? :lol

I have just obtained 7th on the overall leaderboard which I'm chuffed with.

Which is why we don't read into review scores (aside from having a laugh at the expense of journos) and read RPS while listening to Idle Thumbs instead. Hooray!

dan2026

Man fuck those chainsaw guys.

One or two is fine. But mission 2 of Son of Sparda traps you in a room with about six of them.
All going super armour and charging at you at the same time.

Carbonox

Man fuck those chainsaw guys.

One or two is fine. But mission 2 of Son of Sparda traps you in a room with about six of them.
All going super armour and charging at you at the same time.

Use Aquila's Round Trip. Renders them frozen so you can spam Trinity Smash or whatever for easy SSStyle points.

Biff

Just beat it on Nephilim. Loved loved loved it. If this had released just a few weeks earlier it would have been my GOTY 2012, hands down.

The writing seems to be hit or miss with a lot of people but it was exactly my kind of humour. Overall, I'm satisfied with the graphics and framerate they were able to achieve on PS3, but I do see where a lot of the complaints are coming from. Trying to get the timing down on charging enemies felt really screwy, and I think framerate had to do with it.

The level design was awesome. The environments were amazing. The level that
leads up to the mistress fight as you're battling through the club
is one of the most memorable levels I have played in a game in a long time. Easily trumps anything in 2012, including Journey. And the music.... Perfect fit for the game. I can't believe they pulled off having a single band as essentially the entire soundtrack for the game.

My biggest complaint is that I think the game was a bit short. My playthrough took me 12.5 hours according to stats, and that includes a lot of searching for keys, doors, and souls. Add-in retries due to deaths, and maybe it took me 14 hours all-in. When a game doesn't have multiplayer to back it up, relying on harder difficulties and secret hunting to improve a game's value doesn't jive with me. $60 for 14 hours isn't a very good value proposition. I'm guessing this is where DLC is supposed to come in.

9/10

Curufinwe

Replaying action games on harder difficulties is a staple of action games, so you can't blame NT for that. For example Bayonetta was a very different experience on Hard and NSIC compared to Normal, and got better each time.

you must really enjoy seeing this game glitch out.

Don't take it personally. You didn't work on the game.

Hmmm can't seem to get it, probably just need to practice.

It's the one thing I still really need to get down before Heaven and Hell.

Dodge to the side. The area of effect is mostly infront of it's mouth. You can exaggerate the dodge, when you see her telegraph that attack, angel boost to the sides.

Just beat it on Nephilim. Loved loved loved it. If this had released just a few weeks earlier it would have been my GOTY 2012, hands down.

The writing seems to be hit or miss with a lot of people but it was exactly my kind of humour. Overall, I'm satisfied with the graphics and framerate they were able to achieve on PS3, but I do see where a lot of the complaints are coming from. Trying to get the timing down on charging enemies felt really screwy, and I think framerate had to do with it.

The level design was awesome. The environments were amazing. The level that
leads up to the mistress fight as you're battling through the club
is one of the most memorable levels I have played in a game in a long time. Easily trumps anything in 2012, including Journey. And the music.... Perfect fit for the game. I can't believe they pulled off having a single band as essentially the entire soundtrack for the game.

My biggest complaint is that I think the game was a bit short. My playthrough took me 12.5 hours according to stats, and that includes a lot of searching for keys, doors, and souls. Add-in retries due to deaths, and maybe it took me 14 hours all-in. When a game doesn't have multiplayer to back it up, relying on harder difficulties and secret hunting to improve a game's value doesn't jive with me. $60 for 14 hours isn't a very good value proposition. I'm guessing this is where DLC is supposed to come in.

9/10

9/10 ??

But brah, the game's got the occasional glitch. Didn't you see?

Dahbomb

Yeah this is a common problem in the game. Enemies and bosses ometimes don't start up their AI routine during fights. This could be a problem if someone figures how to trigger the glitches to their favor in order to easily get high Leaderboard ranking.

Someone should gif the boss walking around Dante and label it "haters gonna hate".

By the way, for as much as people complain about anti-DmC spewing hate there's also a lot of ignorant DmC fanboys spewing crap everywhere. Just look at this guy:

Seriously DMC fans are some of the bitchiest people on the planet. I've played all 5 games when they came out and DmC is the best out of all of them. faster and better combos, better looking environments, better character development, and no "I should have been the one to fill you dark soul with LIGHT!!!"

In any case DmC community too busy finding glitches in the game than trying to come up with combo videos. This guy wasted 20 minutes on this boss fight and recording/ranting when he could've spent that time in training mode figuring out combos.

Yeah this is a common problem in the game. Enemies and bosses ometimes don't start up their AI routine during fights. This could be a problem if someone figures how to trigger the glitches to their favor in order to easily get high Leaderboard ranking.

Someone should gif the boss walking around Dante and label it "haters gonna hate".

By the way, for as much as people complain about anti-DmC spewing hate there's also a lot of ignorant DmC fanboys spewing crap everywhere. Just look at this guy:

In any case DmC community too busy finding glitches in the game than trying to come up with combo videos. This guy wasted 20 minutes on this boss fight and recording/ranting when he could've spent that time in training mode figuring out combos.

you'd think "dark soul with liiight" was the only words dante uttered in that game, almost worst than the "yu mad cus no white hair" comments.

jett

D-Member
What's the best way to avoid the breath/inhale attack thing the succubus does?

Stay back. The correct way to beating that thing: demon dodge her hand attack -> perfect charge overdrive -> stinger when staggered -> repeat process. Enjoy your SSS.

DMC hasn't had fixed cameras since 2.

This isn't true. Both DMC3 and DMC4 have not only fixed cameras, but awkward camera changes as well. You can move the camera around a bit(more often and with better range in DMC4), but it's pretty much a pain still. The camera in DmC is an unmitigated improvement over previous games.

Dahbomb

Stay back. The correct way to beating that thing: demon dodge her hand attack -> perfect charge overdrive -> stinger when staggered -> repeat process. Enjoy your SSS.
A strategy that unfortunately works all too well for the remainder of the bosses as well.

Top Bottom