• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
This isn't true. Both DMC3 and DMC4 have not only fixed cameras, but awkward camera changes as well. You can move the camera around a bit(more often and with better range in DMC4), but it's pretty much a pain still. The camera in DmC is an unmitigated improvement over previous games.

They had fixed cameras, but almost never when it mattered (during fights). Even if the actual adjustment was fairly slow and cumbersome, it was mitigated by the lock-on function. I can understand camera complaints regarding DMC1, but not 3 and 4.

jett

D-Member
They had fixed cameras, but almost never when it mattered (during fights). Even if the actual adjustment was fairly slow and cumbersome, it was mitigated by the lock-on function.

They're still there, and they suck either way.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Stay back. The correct way to beating that thing: demon dodge her hand attack -> perfect charge overdrive -> stinger when staggered -> repeat process. Enjoy your SSS.

This isn't true. Both DMC3 and DMC4 have not only fixed cameras, but awkward camera changes as well. You can move the camera around a bit(more often and with better range in DMC4), but it's pretty much a pain still. The camera in DmC is an unmitigated improvement over previous games.
I like fixed cameras better.

Free cameras don't mix well with action games.

jett

D-Member
I like fixed cameras better.

Free cameras don't mix well with action games.

The only developer that does fixed cameras right in this genre is Sony Santa Monica. Too bad nobody else has bothered to imitate God of War's frankly perfect camera system.

(in befo gow sucks lololol)

The fixed cameras in DMC games have always been terrible, I'll take a free roaming and properly controllable one any time over that.

So, like what's the purpose of Eryx? The only time I know to use them is on the fat dudes you can pull on to make them fall. Doesn't a fulled charged hit break their armor? Anyway, I just end up switch back to the axe. I just trust it more.

I figured I'd want to know before going further into SoS.

P.S. Aquila is the sexiest weapon in an action game in like...a while. <3

Risette

A Good Citizen
The only developer that does fixed cameras right in this genre is Sony Santa Monica. Too bad nobody else has bothered to imitate God of War's frankly perfect camera system.

(in befo gow sucks lololol)

The fixed cameras in DMC games have always been terrible, I'll take a free roaming and properly controllable one any time over that.
The fixed camera work in GoW is great, actually. (too bad about most of the other things in GoW lol)

But so is DMC1's. Man, what a great game. I never realized how great it was until I replayed it recently.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Onimusha 1 is like a better version of DMC 1. Yeah, I went there.

Better version of RE and Dino Crisis too! Though the amount of button mashing to crank that wheel was ridiculous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I had less issues with DMC1's fixed camera than I did with the free camera in all of it's follow-ups. I'd rather not have to spend time babysitting the right analog stick.

So, like what's the purpose of Eryx? The only time I know to use them is on the fat dudes you can pull on to make them fall. Doesn't a fulled charged hit break their armor? Anyway, I just end up switch back to the axe. I just trust it more.

Preference? Outside of Trinity Smash, I vastly prefer the Hulk Hands over Arbiter.

ezekial45

Banned

P.S. Aquila is the sexiest weapon in an action game in like...a while. <3

I found it to be pretty damn useful once it's upgraded. It's much faster than the arbiter, and the moves have much more versatility. Showdown is useful once you get the explosion/groundbounce upgrade, and snake eyes is awesome when its charged up.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess I am really bad at this game going by some of you guys posts. It is way harder for me than the other DMC games.

I guess I am really bad at this game going by some of you guys posts. It is way harder for me than the other DMC games.

I'm playing on Nephilim and I've only died once, and I'm terrible at action games compared to most people in this thread. Maybe you're just used to old DMC and it's throwing you off?

I guess it's because of proximity. If rebellion and the arbiter force you to be up close, then eryx has you up in their grill. I suppose I don't feel comfortable enough playing that close, particularly when it seems that every other enemy has armor of some sort(although NT was kind enough to tell you what moves break certain kinds of armor).

Also, it turned to game on to see what I had upgraded to lvl 2 on the gauntlets, and for the moment the charge level and showdoen are at lvl 2, so I could invest a few more points. I might take some off rebellion(the only weapon I have at the moment that is completely upgraded) and stick them on Eryx and experiment for a level. I could like it.

Dahbomb

Eryx are pretty useful. Fully charged attacks do break armor and they can juggle practically anything in the game if you get it off. Try to time your attack with the flash of the 2nd charge for more damage. The Ground Slam is also not that bad when fully charged against a group of clustered enemies.

Right now the tier of weapons is something like this:

Aquila - The best weapon in the game in terms of utility, it's only real down side is that it doesn't do enough damage but if it did you would never really need to use anything else. The crowd control this weapon offers is game breaking. Round Trip is too good and locks down even sub boss type enemies. The vacuum type move is also super good. Basically you want this weapon on you at all time for both attacking mobs of enemies and locking down specific enemies in fights. Aquila also gives Dante a pseudo air dash move (Caliber) for even more mobility if he needs it.

Arbiter - Arbiter is boring as hell but extremely effective. That Flush move is extremely good as you can use it from long distances and even in the air against clustered enemies or just use it from a distance. Trinity Smash probably does the most damage out of any uncharged move in the game. Drop/Tremor are also good at controlling enemies in a line. Basically Arbiter is the best weapon in the game for controlling enemies that are clustered narrowly together where as Aquila is the best weapon for crowd controlling enemies all around Dante so their combination is very, very strong.

Rebellion - Rebellion never loses its effectiveness in the game even at later stages. That's because Drive -> Overdrive is super good. It safely does damage, has great range and boosts your style meter up dramatically. Stinger -> Million is a great way to get in if you can't latch on with the Angel glide. A solid overall weapon for combos as well.

Eryx - Underrated as it's great against heavy enemies and has some CC aspect to it. The charge times take a long ass time and they have no long ranged attack you can hit enemies from long distances (no Drive, Tremor, Round Trip, Flush etc). If it weren't for that ground slam move Eryx would have the worst CC in the game as the range on it's attacks are pitiful and this is especially evident in this style of game where you have to be controlling mobs of high numbers with no lock on. Eryx can technically outclass any weapon in the game in terms of single hitting attacks but the charge time is really long, you really need to pick and choose your moments.

Osiris - Still a good weapon but essentially outclassed by Aquila. It doesn't have any long ranged projectile type move so you have to essentially get in with it which puts you in risky situations. The weapon isn't as fast as Aquila nor does it have its safety and crowd control or utility purposes. Osiris technically can do more damage than Aquila but the Feed mechanism takes a while to build up. It's still a great styling weapon and a bit easier to use than Aquila but in terms of effectiveness you will end up switching it out more often than not.

As far as the guns go they all are fairly useful if you start using their charged moves. The Shotgun in particular shouldn't be underestimated.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm playing on Nephilim and I've only died once, and I'm terrible at action games compared to most people in this thread. Maybe you're just used to old DMC and it's throwing you off?

Probably. I know I just beat SOS DMC4 a few weeks ago and the only times I died were against Credo. I am on mission 11 SOS here and I die a lo and use items all the time. I almost never use Aquila, though.

Dahbomb

Probably. I know I just beat SOS DMC4 a few weeks ago and the only times I died were against Credo. I am on mission 11 SOS here and I die a lo and use items all the time. I almost never use Aquila, though.
That's probably why. Round Trip makes the game much, much easier.

One thing that ive forgotten for the people who have beaten the higher difficulties.

Does the game feel balanced top-down or top up? As in, do the higher difficulties have any inteligent enemy design or is it just a collection of the same enemies, just in larger groups and tankish health?

One thing that ive forgotten for the people who have beaten the higher difficulties.

Does the game feel balanced top-down or top up? As in, do the higher difficulties have any inteligent enemy design or is it just a collection of the same enemies, just in larger groups and tankish health?

Game throws entirely different enemy groups at you on different difficulties.

Mr.Fresh

Just Finished the game and it was better then I expected. It was really fun. It was on the Easy side I plaued on hard. Now to go back and collect all the shit lol. Did anyone get the Platinum yet?

Dahbomb

I have only played a bit of SoS and watched some players play through DMD mode.

I don't know what you mean by "intelligent enemy design" but as far as their AI go there are slight changes. Enemies that can block will block more, those who evade will evade more and those who parry will parry more. It's subtle but it's there if you pick up on it. Also some enemies like the basic fodder enemies have "elite" versions of them and that's essentially what you will be fighting most of the time as compared to regular enemies. Of course enemy lay outs are remixed. The brunt of the challenge comes from the combination of enemies they throw at you and of course their high health. You have to kill them fast otherwise the enemies DT. Note that the higher tiered enemies don't DT like the Drek but 2 of them plus another sub boss type enemy like a Witch/Butcher is challenging enough as it is. Any big sized enemy will do a shit ton of damage as expected from DMD mode and probably hits harder than most bosses in the game.

Right now I would say that DMD enemies in DmC > DMD enemies in DMC4 but the bosses in DMC4 DMD are way harder so I guess they balance out.

TimeInc

I went back to mission 2 to get collect all the collectables, I got both keys but it wouldn't let me open the door for one of the secret missions. Anyone else had a similar problem?

ezekial45

Banned
I went back to mission 2 to get collect all the collectables, I got both keys but it wouldn't let me open the door for one of the secret missions. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Was it the right key? I believe you need a the copper key for that one. The keys and secret missions in the same stage don't always go together.

@Dahbomb: I can pretty much agree with that list. I did notice that Osiris just kinda drops off the radar after Aquila shows up, but I still prefer the scythe for boss fights at least. And I kinda wish the arbiter had a bit more "combo"-ability by itself so it wouldn't be so boring, but that would probably break the game since it hits so hard.

Is there a gun tier as well? I hope someone puts up some combo videos using Kablooey.

Edit: And damn, they let you skip the majority of Mission 3 by having Angel Boost early. xD On to 4.

I have only played a bit of SoS and watched some players play through DMD mode.

I don't know what you mean by "intelligent enemy design" but as far as their AI go there are slight changes. Enemies that can block will block more, those who evade will evade more and those who parry will parry more. It's subtle but it's there if you pick up on it. Also some enemies like the basic fodder enemies have "elite" versions of them and that's essentially what you will be fighting most of the time as compared to regular enemies. Of course enemy lay outs are remixed. The brunt of the challenge comes from the combination of enemies they throw at you and of course their high health. You have to kill them fast otherwise the enemies DT. Note that the higher tiered enemies don't DT like the Drek but 2 of them plus another sub boss type enemy like a Witch/Butcher is challenging enough as it is. Any big sized enemy will do a shit ton of damage as expected from DMD mode and probably hits harder than most bosses in the game.

Right now I would say that DMD enemies in DmC > DMD enemies in DMC4 but the bosses in DMC4 DMD are way harder so I guess they balance out.

the bolded is basically what im talking about. Some thought into the remixed encounters, not just the same thing with higher health values.

Dahbomb

This is mostly from watching though. The guy playing was a decent enough player and was dying constantly despite abusing the stuff that needed to be abused (Demon Dodge, Round Trip, Trinity Smash etc). But he died only once on a boss fight and that was the post-Club mission boss fight.

Dahbomb

Is there a gun tier as well? I hope someone puts up some combo videos using Kablooey.
There's no gun tier yet, haven't experimented with them enough. They all seem to have their niche and usage. I think the guns are fairly balanced and it's really up to personal usage.

But the game is a bit buggy and you never know what exploit you will find which might make some tactics stronger than they should be.

This is mostly from watching though. The guy playing was a decent enough player and was dying constantly despite abusing the stuff that needed to be abused (Demon Dodge, Round Trip, Trinity Smash etc). But he died only once on a boss fight and that was the post-Club mission boss fight.

Well I'm not as good a DMC player as most of you guys, My love for the series comes from understanding the mechanics used, not necessarily being able to execute them. So long as DMD has some challenge, it should be fine.

TimeInc

Was it the right key? I believe you need a the copper key for that one. The keys and secret missions in the same stage don't always go together.

Oh, that's most likely it, I just thought because there always seemed to be the same number of keys as doors in each mission, that the keys worked on the doors of the same mission.

Dahbomb

I haven't gone back to E&I after getting the Revenant. It's very useful, and fireworks is some fantastic effectiveness.
True but once people start using perfect LVL3 Ricoshot then you will see E&I's true potential. That move is one of the best CC moves in the game.

So whats the deal with Virgil's Downfall for GameStop pre-orders? Are we going to get an email with a code when it comes out or what?

There should be a website and code on your receipt (or email i guess if you bought online). You have to go to the website, put in the code, and put in your email address and when the DLC comes out, they'll send the actual DLC code to the email address you provided.

Revenant is so cool, though. Also fun to do combos with it. I haven't really used E&I so far.

So! I was one of the naysayers on this game, and they didn't really do a good job selling this game with the trailers, but... in all honesty? The gameplay is really good. Way better than I thought it would be. I have issues with the characters, story and music... but the gameplay delivers. So that means it's a good game! I happily eat crow.

B-Dex

Just picked it up. Having fun so far on Nephilim. Sad when "hard" mode is what normal used to be tho.

Would be awesome if they added naked dante as a skin. I'd laugh and proceed to destroy demons.

There should be a website and code on your receipt (or email i guess if you bought online). You have to go to the website, put in the code, and put in your email address and when the DLC comes out, they'll send the actual DLC code to the email address you provided.

All I saw on mine was the Samurai weapons pack and I threw it out...God damn it.

cat9e5d14ir3wutsn.png

yay

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is pretty fun. It's so much less stressful than the old DMCs, I guess, which is not necessarily a good thing but it's good at what it is. Definitely NT's best game yet.

The 360 pad hurts my hands for this...

Top Bottom