• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC staffer berates Donna Brazile for helping elect Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Zach, my man.

Sorry, but I don't care about hurt feelings or looking "edgy." The Democratic establishment needs to be raked over the coals. They earned no respect. Their incompetence will erased decades of progressive advancement. The SC is lost for a generation. ACA will be repealed. Progress on climate change will be wiped clean. The Iran deal is dead, increasing the chance of armed conflict with Iran down the line. And the election was so damn winnable.

Why should Zach NOT lash out?

Seventy70

I love that they booed him. They're probably going to try and run Clinton again in 2020.

Third times a charm! Slaay queeeen!!! Fuck half of the country, it's not like they we need their vote. They are just uncultured swine.
What is this third grader logic? Booing someone for being a belligerent asshole is not the same thing as learning nothing. Think of the context. Democrats are sure as fuck are going to cash in on the populist next election, believe that.
Why shouldn't this person express himself? Why shouldn't they shut up and listen for once? That's the exact problem that got us here. It's funny how many people say protest is fine, but as soon as it happens against their side, they act as if it's some kind of sin. The DNC needs this slap in the face. They weren't listening before and from what it seems, they still aren't listening now.

Mahadev

The country doesn't give a shit about policy. Republicans just elected a man who was a democrat most of his life. It's about passion and entertainment and telling people what they want to hear.

The country most of all wants to say a humongous GO FUCK YOURSELVES to the corrupt establishment that has impoverished them, lied to them, marginalized them. They would have been able to do that with Bernie.

People are stupid but not THAT stupid. They know when something is wrong but can't pinpoint it exactly. Most Americans don't know what neoliberalism is and how it has ruined the world but they know there's something really fucking wrong with the country and that they're getting screwed by the establishment. Just like the British public knew there's something really wrong with the EU, and there is, but couldn't pinpoint it exactly. They also know when someone is part of that establishment, it's quite obvious by the way the corporate media and the ruling class treat them.

The problem is that since most people are politically uneducated the rightwing populists can exploit that to seize power when there's no real leftist opposing voice that actually believes we should bring down the establishment. And do you know who are the biggest enemies of these voices? The faux-left rightwingers like the Democratic establishment or the Labour establishment in UK that fight these people tooth and nail using tactics even the alt-right would be jealous of.

Goodstyle

I love that they booed him. They're probably going to try and run Clinton again in 2020.

What is this third grader logic? Booing someone for being a belligerent asshole is not the same thing as learning nothing. Think of the context. Democrats are sure as fuck are going to cash in on the populist next election, believe that.

Mahadev

You might have missed that part:

A third attendee told HuffPost that, despite Zach’s blow-up, there was “overwhelming” support for Brazile in the room. Her motivational words “had some staffers in tears,” per this attendee, and Brazile spoke to Zach’s concerns after he left.

Makonero

I don't trust the DNC as far as I can throw them with my weak, spindly arms. They've fucked up and have shown no humility, no introspection, and no concern that they just FUCKED us for the next four years (and much longer with the Supreme Court at stake).

If we want the DNC to change, we have to actually do something to force them. You, me, everyone who has been idle and content to just vote every few years and complain on message boards.

cheezcake

When the leadership fails this horribly they don't get more chances. Brazile needs to go.

Goodstyle

You might have missed that part:

Again, context. It's like if I studied for an exam, but got distracted, and the failed. A group of friends are cheering me up for it, and we're all trying to feel better. Lessons have been learned, but at this point it was a time for healing. Then all of a sudden, this punk comes out of nowhere and starts screaming in the face of the person who was cheering me up because at one time they asked me to hang out when I needed to study. It's just grossly inappropriate.

The time for recrimination is later. Everyone just went through a trauma, we need to move forward, not tear at each other like children.

Makonero

Again, context. It's like if I studied for an exam, but got distracted, and the failed. A group of friends are cheering me up for it, and we're all trying to feel better. Lessons have been learned, but at this point it was a time for healing. Then all of a sudden, this punk comes out of nowhere and starts screaming in the face of the person who was cheering me up because at one time they asked me to hang out when I needed to study. It's just grossly inappropriate.

The time for recrimination is later. Everyone just went through a trauma, we need to move forward, not tear at each other like children.

The time for recrimination is NOW. Otherwise it will never be the time and no one will learn their fucking lesson. The Tea Party was organized immediately after Obama's election. They began winning elections two years later.

We have got be reactionary or we will always fucking lose.

“You and your friends will die of old age and I’m going to die from climate change. You and your friends let this happen, which is going to cut 40 years off my life expectancy.”

straight truth! holy shit!!!

Now is absolutely the time for recriminations. Narratives solidify quickly. If the narrative that "Hillary couldn't have failed, she could only have been failed" is allowed to take hold, it will kill any attempt to rebuild the party.

Keep playing the blame game. It'll go great.

Tip: Progressives have to start voting every time or we are totally fucked. You aren't always going to have the candidate you want getting the nomination. You aren't always going to have somebody inspiring and charismatic. You are sometimes going to have a compromise candidate, a boring one. Vote for them. Get in line. Or don't complain when women's rights, civil rights, and carbon output per capita goes back to the 1960s.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

No. You fuck up hard, you don't get to "be cheered up". Sorry. You don't get time to grieve. You get fired. You step down. It seems harsh? Well imagine how I feel when the candidate they backed for my vote couldn't even beat the most unlivable presidential candidate EVER (37% likability) in the GE by more than 1%. That was harsh for me.

Performance like this at a company gets you forest or reassigned. It should be no different here. She needs to step down.

Tip: Progressives have to start voting every time or we are totally fucked. You aren't always going to have the candidate you want getting the nomination. You aren't always going to have somebody inspiring and charismatic. You are sometimes going to have a compromise candidate, a boring one. Vote for them. Get in line. Or don't complain when women's rights, civil rights, and carbon output per capita goes back to the 1960s.

The only ones playing the blame game are Hillary and her supporters or did you miss where they came out today and blamed everyone under the sun but themselves for the huge fuckup of theirs?

Lo-Volt

Well, I think the the better imagery is a parent hearing this story and berating you for losing sight of the big picture in the exam room. My mother would care about my feelings and help me heal, but damn if she wouldn't set me straight. Because in this scenario, you didn't do your best. There's a cost to it whether you got distracted or didn't try, and you need to internalize that lesson faster so you don't pay that price again. If now is the time to tell you so you listen, then you've got to hear it. That's more important.

geomon

They backed a very unpopular candidate. That's just a fact and he's right, why should we trust you not to do the same again? So far I haven't heard a good answer.

Yeah, no. Votes have to be earned. They aren't owed.

In a perfectly rational world, everyone would show up and vote for the lesser of two evils, but human beings are not perfectly rational and "my opponent is a monster and I'm not" can't make up for an uncharismatic candidate with no real positive message.

Makonero

WTF is this. Progressives did line up. I know I did. I swallowed my fears about Hillary's viability and her clear arrogance and voted like a good little liberal.

This fucking nightmare isn't the fault of the progressives, it's the fault of the entire team of people who thought Hillary was going to win against an actually challenging opponent like Rubio or Jeb. They thought they had it in the bag against Trump and I began to believe that too because of the polls and the constant reassurances from Hillary supporters.

They were shortsighted, arrogant, and put their own interests above that of the people and that is why they lost.

CHC

No. You fuck up hard, you don't get to "be cheered up". Sorry. You don't get time to grieve. You get fired. You step down. It seems harsh? Well imagine how I feel when the candidate they backed for my vote couldn't even beat the most unlivable presidential candidate EVER (37% likability) in the GE by more than 1%. That was harsh for me.

Performance like this at a company gets you forest or reassigned. It should be no different here. She needs to step down.

I really like both what you are expressing in this post and the auto-correct errors therein.

borghe

. You aren't always going to have the candidate you want getting the nomination. You aren't always going to have somebody inspiring and charismatic. .
THAT is how you would describe Clinton? A candidate with a lower trustworthiness rating than President Pussy Grabber?

Fine. I'm not always going to get my first choice nominated. But at the end we should always have someone we can be proud we voted for. 6m people didn't suddenly get lazy or disinterested. It was a referendum sit out. Don't kid yourself. 7m people were straight up disgusted with their choices in both parties this week. Learn from that or perish as a party.

ExVicis

And some of them boo'ed him. The DNC will learn nothing of this loss.
You don't need to look far to realize Democrats haven't learned either. People on this forum still think Hillary and her lackluster Campaign aren't to blame for losing this election, that it's everyone's fault instead.

THAT is how you would describe Clinton? A candidate with a lower trustworthiness rating than President Pussy Grabber?

Fine. I'm not always going to get my first choice nominated. But at the end we should always have someone we can be proud we voted for. 6m people didn't suddenly get lazy or disinterested. It was a referendum sit out. Don't kid yourself. 7m people were straight up disgusted with their choices this week. Learn from that or perish as a party.

Sure, let's all trust a man who is racist, sexist & has zero political experience. We should all just bend over & accept him.

No. There's a reason why there are tons of protests out in the streets about Trump right now: Because we don't like his ass & because he's going to cause the demise of this country far more than George W. Bush Jr. did.

SL128

The thread I was posting this in got locked, and I feel the need to dump it somewhere.
SL128 said:
It was the failure to campaign where needed, the failure to pick a candidate who people could not just vote for, but get other people to vote for (which is how elections are actually won), the failure to have a message, the failure of the media to take Trump seriously, the failure of the media to present the email story as what it was, the failure of the media to discuss facts and policy, the failure of the media to report on most Trump controversies, Facebook letting people see any 'news' as legitimate, and most of all, and Jimmy Fallon.
nup_175387_1204.jpg
Fuck you, Jimmy Fallon.

MIMIC

Banned
They backed a very unpopular candidate. That's just a fact and he's right, why should we trust you not to do the same again? So far I haven't heard a good answer.

Not just backed: literally cheated for a very unpopular candidate.

Makonero

Let's all trust a man who is racist, sexist & has Zero political experience. We should all just bend over.

No. There's a reason why there are tons of protests out in the streets about Trump right now: Because we don't like his ass & because he's going to cause the demise of this country far more than George W. Bush Jr. did.

No one said we want Trump. Stop blaming people for not voting for Hillary and realize that there were legit reasons for it. Reasons that need to be addressed, like her unpopularity, her aloofness, her lack of charisma, her entitlement, her shoddy, shortsighted campaign.

Fuck this. Trump's gonna get 8 years, isn't he? What the fuck, democrats.

Zach has got it.

Time for a liberal Tea Party equivalent to force the DNC to listen to reason.

That's worked out wonderfully for the Republican party.

Fuck this. Trump's gonna get 8 years, isn't he? What the fuck, democrats.

I seriously doubt it. We haven't a recession in a long time. I would expect one to occur during his presidency. Plus, he's Donald Trump. He'll crash and burn eventually.

Lo-Volt

I know you don't mean it personally but I voted every time I was eligible. Though I'm not Ms. Clinton's biggest fan, I voted for her and I voted Democratic down the line for exactly these reasons. I'll bet that most of the people you're critiquing did similar.

But parties that offer something to positively vote for are going to do better. Donald Trump, in a grotesque way, accomplished that and Hillary Clinton didn't. What the Democrats offered this year was a Mark II of a candidate that lost a winnable primary to a relative rookie eight years ago. And in 2016, she barely pulled it off even with an emptier field. It took the entire primary campaign. Maybe we need to think of the implications of that in a harsher light. It's impractical to simply say "get in line" if the party can't offer the best possible candidate to make these items actionable. Parties that don't pull it off can't retain the kind of legitimacy you're talking about.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I've taken my responsibility in this fiasco and the DNC must take their responsibility. Clean house and bring in some people who actually care about change.

SURGEdude

With this party it wouldn't surprise me. I could maybe get behind their machiavellian ends justify the means tactics if they actually produced the desired result. As it stands it's a lose-lose with the current power players.

The fact that Donna didn't fall on her sword no matter her direct involvement says a lot about the lack of leadership and responsibility going on there.

Indicate

“You are part of the problem,” he continued, blaming Brazile for clearing the path for Trump’s victory by siding with Clinton early on. “You and your friends will die of old age and I’m going to die from climate change. You and your friends let this happen, which is going to cut 40 years off my life expectancy.”

LMAO

Averon

If the time for recriminations is not now, when will it ever be time fir it?

When the Democrats get blown out again in 2018?
When Trump is re-elected in 2020?

Please, anyone whining about the DNC getting raked over the coals, when will it be time to actually get mad and fight for the Democratic party?

Goodstyle

She should have stepped down for that moronic debate email, I give you that. But again, time and place. And the polls were wrong about Trump, he was not nearly as unlikable as we all thought.Hillary beat Obama's numbers in FL/PEN and still lost because Trump leeched the Dem white vote, easily surpassing Mitt's turnout in literally every swing state. Trump didn't just fluke into the presidency, he connected with the white vote in a way that would be very difficult for most Dems to do so. If you want to save this country, first you gotta understand what the hell happened.

You're 100% right. I hope they hear it again and again, then get booted out.

I'm really hoping that since other senior leaders of the party like Obama, Biden, Sanders etc. knew what Hillary was failing to do, they get to have some influence in guiding the DNC out of this nightmare.

Makonero

Presidency
Senate
House
Governors

What more evidence do you need that a populist, reactionary group can galvanize people to vote? I'm not saying be insane like the Tea Party, but let's harness that Occupy energy and give people something to actually do and a goal to actually win, like turning states Blue? I dunno, just a thought.

Or we can just accept this as business as usual! Oh well, we'll get 'em next time!

borghe

Sure, let's all trust a man who is racist, sexist & has zero political experience. We should all just bend over.

I mean.... do you not get it? If not let me be crystal clear

GOP = trotted out and voted for their man except for 1m who couldn't stomach it

DEM = trotted out and voted for their woman except for the 6m who couldn't stomach it

So tell me some more about how much in shambles the GOP party is in and how Dems are fine and just need to suck it up.

No votes are owed. They're earned. And 6m voters sent a loud and clear message that their votes weren't earned. And if the DNC ignores it? They won't magically be earned in the mid terms or 2020 either.

"Bu bu bu- you'll simply let a racist take over!!?!?" I don't vote to keep the other guy out. I vote because my vote goes to someone I truly want in. I'm not going to play a fucking game of lesser of two evils. Another lesson to be learned here. No one will, and that's why she lost.

Odrion

Banned
hey hillgaf if hillary runs a third time you're not going to try to browbeat and depress democratic voters again right

Makonero

She should have stepped down for that moronic debate email, I give you that. But again, time and place. And the polls were wrong about Trump, he was not nearly as unlikable as we all thought.Hillary beat Obama's numbers in FL/PEN and still lost because Trump leeched the Dem white vote, easily surpassing Mitt's turnout in literally every swing state. Trump didn't just fluke into the presidency, he connected with the white vote in a way that would be very difficult for most Dems to do so. If you want to save this country, first you gotta understand what the hell happened.

She lost white voters that she thought were in the bag. Because white collar workers are, surprise! traditional dems.

But the democratic party ignored them and their very real fears and concerns and they lost. They propped up an unlikable candidate and said "vote for her she's the lesser of two evils" which galvanized no one.

The GOP has been eating the DNC lunch since 2010. And really before that at the local level. They've been getting in governors in deep blue states. They win state senate elections. They win smaller local offices. They win majority of governorships. They win US House/Senate races. They also now have the Supreme Court.

Their only failure has been the presidential level. Which really they won after Bush, yeah got destroyed by Obama, but now managed to win the presidency.

They are stronger than ever. Partially because they know how to get over petty or even major differences or handle them better and just get in line. They know they won't be able to implement anything they want unless they can win elections.

Democrats are too idealistic instead of being pragmatic and just getting shit done.

If she doesn't step down then the DNC clearly learned nothing and we will be fucked again in 2020. No one I know trust the DNC they only voted because they feared Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom