• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC suspends Sanders campaign access to database after staff breached Hillary's data

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this primary has just been so embarrassing. I wasn't really paying attention in 2008, so I realize that this is probably just how primaries always go, but man has this Hillary v. Bernie fight been weird. Politics really does just kill all reason. I should really stop reading Bernie threads. But I can't.

HylianTom

Banned
I reaaaaaaally doubt that Bernie himself "gave the order" to exploit the glitch. I mean, I'm in camp Clinton broadly speaking but I really hope this is a temporary measure while stuff gets sorted out and his campaign gets database access back within the week

Yup, she doesn't need to make hay out of this. Handle it graciously, and give benefit of the doubt. His voters (well, most of them..) will remember how she handles this when it's time to come together later on in the process.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Will the IT firm managing the firewall also be suspended by the DNC?

Anyhow huge win for Bernie - more mainstream media coverage coming up right before the debate.

I honestly can't tell what is earnest and what is sarcasm in this thread anymore.

teiresias

Will the IT firm managing the firewall also be suspended by the DNC?

Anyhow huge win for Bernie - more mainstream media coverage coming up right before the debate.

Honestly cannot tell if this is sarcasm given the poster it's coming from.

Not like this Bernie. Not like this.

Sure, his chances were minuscule anyway but you hate to see something like this ultimately decide it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Not sure I understand the decrying of conspiracy theorizing from Hillary supporters. According to them, practically everything that's happened in politics over the last couple decades has been a conspiracy to attack her character.

#correcttherecord

Not sure I understand the decrying of conspiracy theorizing from Hillary supporters. According to them, practically everything that's happened in politics over the last couple decades has been a conspiracy to attack her character.

#correcttherecord

Generally just Fox News and other conservative media outlets actually.

Though the email "scandal" is definitely a mark against the MSM.

Tarkus

I hope Killer Mike introduces him at his formal apology. KM is good strong figure that's well liked by his target audience.

rjinaz

Not like this Bernie. Not like this.

Sure, his chances were minuscule anyway but you hate to see something like this ultimately decide it.

It's not deciding anything and will be forgotten in a week. Hillary will not pursue it for two reasons. One, Bernie making that statement about the "damn emails". Two, Hillary wanting Bernie supporter votes when she ultimately wins.

Also, weren't Hillary campaigners accused of leaking or creating something in 2008?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The breach will provide more mainstream coverage than the Saturday scheduled debate by the DNC, mainstream media loves scandals and firewalls.

This is very bad for him though, this is some Nixon level shit. It will hurt him, there's no reason to be happy.

The breach will provide more mainstream coverage than the Saturday scheduled debate by the DNC, mainstream media loves scandals and firewalls.

Unfortunately for a candidate that espouses integrity, this is really bad. Fortunately it's Friday news and the debate is on a tumbleweeds-blowing Saturday night.

rjinaz

and people were telling me to trust Bernie, this is why I won't vote. You can never trust these politicians.

Bernie had nothing to do with this and it was HIS campaign that reported the error that allowed this to happen in the first place. Now if his campaign feigned dumb, you'd have a point. Besides, let's not pretend you would have voted for him anyway because he didn't have a smoke with you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
and people were telling me to trust Bernie, this is why I won't vote. You can never trust these politicians.

Bernie almost certainly didn't know about this until it blew up. With that said, he should be responsible for the staffing changes going forward and if they're only firing the head of data and not the other four names that also accessed the data that's a bad call

Makai

It's not deciding anything and will be forgotten in a week. Hillary will not pursue it for two reasons. One, Bernie making that statement about the "damn emails". Two, Hillary wanting Bernie supporter votes when she ultimately wins.

Also, weren't Hillary campaigners accused of leaking or creating something in 2008?
Forget about how bad this makes him look. Having access to this database revoked is a big blow at an organizational level.

Wreav

Banned
Uh...
N9C8o1e.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Calling this a breach by a Bernie aide is hilarious, they are acting like they hacked in. They simply had access in the program to data that should have said access denied.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Uh huh, it will and they do. But the average person doesn't hear that a candidate is in the midst of a scandal and say to themselves "Hey, maybe I should vote for that person or contribute to their campaign." I'm hesitant to even call this a scandal, but politics isn't show business where "Any press is good press." You're dependent on how the average undecided voters views your competency and integrity. This doesn't exactly help Sanders in any way. It doesn't look like something significant enough to sink him, but I'm not seeing any positives

rjinaz

Forget about how bad this makes him look. Having access to this database revoked is a big blow at an organizational level.

True, assuming the suspension is permanent and also assuming Clinton makes a fuss about it because if she doesn't they will probably lift the suspension. It does make this debate a bit uncomfortable as a Bernie supporter though.

Makai

Calling this a breach by a Bernie aide is hilarious, they are acting like they hacked in. They simply had access in the program to data that should have said access denied.
That's what hacking is. Exploit vulnerabilities to give yourself access.

Arkeband

Banned
Not really surprised to see that Sanders is just as much an untrustworthy politician as any other. I mean, this is a man that only has become a Democrat when it's convenient, but otherwise hasn't helped the party or helped elect down ballot Democrats at all - why should he care about following their rules after all?

Do you think a 74 year old man is scheming up database hacks? Get real please.

This looks bad for Bernie's campaign, but it doesn't diminish the man.

And as pointed out above, they were relying on software that malfunctioned and let anyone go anywhere, it wasn't even a hack. I imagine someone discovered it and went "holy shit", and then "is this just my account?" "no I can see it too" "yeah me too", there you go, now three staffers are implicated, and they fired the nosey first guy.

Bernie had nothing to do with this and it was HIS campaign that reported the error that allowed this to happen in the first place. Now if his campaign feigned dumb, you'd have a point. Besides, let's not pretend you would have voted for him anyway because he didn't have a smoke with you.

Bernie if you're reading this I've got one rolled up and am waiting.

No. People have been fired at the IRS for accessing tax returns of celebrities and other public figures that they had no legitimate reason to look at. Just because a window opens that technically allows you to look doesn't give you the right to go in and look. If a Top Secret document falls onto your desk you don't have the right to have a peek.

That said the Clinton voter file didn't just "accidentally" pop up. They knew there was patching and took advantage.

So is the idea here that the DNC will keep the Sanders accounts suspended until he fires the four staffers associated with those usernames rather than just the one head data guy? Is that the long and short of it? Is that what the DNC is demanding?

Don't see anything referring to any data being downloaded. The article speaks to the accounts being able to search some private data, but with no ability to save, export or modify that data.

So... what happens now?

rjinaz

No. People have been fired at the IRS for accessing tax returns of celebrities and other public figures that they had no legitimate reason to look at. Just because a window opens that technically allows you to look doesn't give you the right to look.

That said the Clinton voter file didn't just "accidentally" pop up. They knew there was patching and took advantage.

We really don't know how it went down. The multiple people accessing it could have just been people verifying the error before reporting it and firing somebody over it.

I agree that if a person did actually read through it, they need to be fired which is what appears to have happened. No way Bernie uses this information. There is just no way, it would go against everything Bernie stands for.

Any information on how much data was accessed by Bernie's people?

Like, a couple names wouldn't be a big deal but if its a massive amount then clearly there should be some repercussions. Will be interesting to see this tackled at the debate.

I feel like this primary has just been so embarrassing. I wasn't really paying attention in 2008, so I realize that this is probably just how primaries always go, but man has this Hillary v. Bernie fight been weird. Politics really does just kill all reason. I should really stop reading Bernie threads. But I can't.

Both sides are so terrible. It's like two animals eating each other at the same time.

We really don't know how it went down. The multiple people accessing it could have just been people verifying the error before reporting it and firing somebody over it.

I agree that if a person did actually read through it, they need to be fired which is what appears to have happened. No way Bernie uses this information. There is just no way, it would go against everything Bernie stands for.
AFAIK the Sanders campaign didn't report the breach. The vendor informed the DNC.

giga

Hopefully we'll find out soon how many terabytes of Clinton campaign data Bernie had in his own personal computer. I'm guessing at least two or three.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hopefully we'll find out soon how many terabytes of Clinton campaign data Bernie had in his own personal computer. I'm guessing at least two or three.

Bernie using his elite haxxing skillz to try and take down Hillary was inevitable. The man can't be trusted!

Zornack

Both sides are so terrible. It's like two animals eating each other at the same time.

"Both sides are bad" is seldom true and in this case isn't either. There's no comparable mudslinging or conspiracy theorizing from the Clinton side as there is from some of Benries most staunch supporters. I'm less talking about posters here as I am people over at Reddit's /r/SandersForPresident. Some of the stuff posted there is just ludicrous.

docbon

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/sanders-dnc-data-breach-josh-uretsky/

"They called me fairly quickly after the breach was closed to inform me that there was something weird going on and that portions of the system were shut down," he said.

Uretsky says he got into the system to create a record to make it clear to anyone with NBG-VAN knowledge that he was "going through stuff that I wasn't supposed to have access to."

NGP-VAN is the technology company that provides campaigns access to the voter files.

The point: He wanted people with knowledge of the voter files to be able to clearly see that he was testing the depth of the breach.

"This wasn't the first time we identified a bad breach," he said, confirming to CNN that the Sanders campaign reported another breach to the DNC in October. "We reported it to them. They thanked us for reporting it and they told us the breach had been closed."

"In retrospect, I got a little panicky because our data was totally exposed, too," Uretsky said of how he handled the latest breach. " We had to have an assessment, and understand of how broad the exposure was and I had to document it so that I could try to calm down and think about what actually happened so that I could figure out how to protect our stuff.""They called me fairly quickly after the breach was closed to inform me that there was something weird going on and that portions of the system were shut down," he said.

Uretsky says he got into the system to create a record to make it clear to anyone with NBG-VAN knowledge that he was "going through stuff that I wasn't supposed to have access to."

NGP-VAN is the technology company that provides campaigns access to the voter files.

The point: He wanted people with knowledge of the voter files to be able to clearly see that he was testing the depth of the breach.

"This wasn't the first time we identified a bad breach," he said, confirming to CNN that the Sanders campaign reported another breach to the DNC in October. "We reported it to them. They thanked us for reporting it and they told us the breach had been closed."

"In retrospect, I got a little panicky because our data was totally exposed, too," Uretsky said of how he handled the latest breach. " We had to have an assessment, and understand of how broad the exposure was and I had to document it so that I could try to calm down and think about what actually happened so that I could figure out how to protect our stuff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom