• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC suspends Sanders campaign access to database after staff breached Hillary's data

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeX

Banned
Might have missed it, but the Washington Post is calling for Sander's campaigns access to be restored.

We need more detail to understand exactly what happened here. But one point that can be made right now is that the DNC needs to restore Sanders’ access to the data as quickly as possible.
The degree to which the Sanders campaign should bear the blame for what happened remains unclear. The Sanders campaign claims that the data breach was the fault of the vendor that gives campaigns access to the data, which (the Sanders camp argues) erroneously dropped the “firewall” that protects each camp’s data. The Sanders camp also notes that it fired the staffer responsible for accessing the Clinton info. That fired staffer has now told CNN that he did not attempt to take Clinton data and was merely trying to determine how badly the Sanders camp’s data had been compromised by the fallen firewall.

The degree to which the Sanders campaign should bear the blame for what happened remains unclear. The Sanders campaign claims that the data breach was the fault of the vendor that gives campaigns access to the data, which (the Sanders camp argues) erroneously dropped the “firewall” that protects each camp’s data. The Sanders camp also notes that it fired the staffer responsible for accessing the Clinton info. That fired staffer has now told CNN that he did not attempt to take Clinton data and was merely trying to determine how badly the Sanders camp’s data had been compromised by the fallen firewall.
On the other hand, multiple accounts say that as many as four users associated with the Sanders campaign may have accessed the Clinton data. The Sanders campaign does not deny this; it says that those staffers did so at the behest of their boss, the staffer who has been fired. As you can see, our knowledge of what happened is pretty murky right now.

To be fair, the DNC appears to recognize this. DNC spokesman Luis Miranda tells me: “We want to get this resolved as quickly as possible.” It’s very possible that the DNC will act promptly to restore the Sanders camp’s access, once it receives an accounting. Let’s hope it does so.

@mmurraypolitics

DNC Chair DWS tells @tamronhall that the allegation is the Sanders staffer accessed Clinton voter-file info, exported it, and downloaded it

@danmericacnn

NGP-VAN says "only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data" they didn't own.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was going to make a sarcastic post about the DNC coronating Hillary, but I see Poe's Law took care of it for me holy shit

cackhyena

Are you suggesting it is Bernie supporters that are petty and that some how all Hillary supporters are enlightened and above that?

We just aren't hearing it because Hillary supporters have no reason at all to be even entertaining the possibility as of now.

Now there could be an argument that Sanders supporters would have MORE people like that, but who wants to have this argument anyway?

What? I'm not suggesting anything. I'm saying it's kind of preposterous to think that many, if any democrats as to the left as a Sander's or Clinton supporter would jump ship.

rjinaz

This is potentially very serious. It's no wonder the DNC are suspending access till they get a full account.

And that's weird because in the Times report we have this:
Stu Trevelyan, the chief executive officer of NGP VAN, stressed that users of the database from the Sanders campaign were able to search by and view, but not export or save or act on, “some attributes” that came from the Clinton campaign.

So Hillary's been grooming people on the inside of Bernie's campaign for decades. This along with paying off Trump to ruin the Republican convention sure seems to be working out. Hopefully when she's emperor of the universe she'll let us know why she let Obama win last time.

benjipwns

Banned
And you can bet your ass Bernie will be in the debate Saturday. This is just the controversy needed to drum up some ratings in a tough timeslot
I wouldn't put it past the media to frame Bernie to both get ratings and back their favored candidate Hillary.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
@mmurraypolitics

DNC Chair DWS tells @tamronhall that the allegation is the Sanders staffer accessed Clinton voter-file info, exported it, and downloaded it

Yikes! If that's true thats much worse then I was envisioning, and maybe this does deserve some serious scrutiny.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bernie should spit in the DNC's eye and run independent

I sincerely hope Bernie isn't petty enough to burn the country down in spite.

The fact that his (apparent?) supporters are okay with this is just I don't even know

CDX

Might have missed it, but the Washington Post is calling for Sander's campaigns access to be restored.

Well now that's up to the Bernie campaign. It's not a permanent ban. The ball is entirely is Bernie's court now

The Bernie campaign has to first formally explain just WTH happened, and assure it wont happen again. Then they'll get access again.

The 4 user accounts VS only one person being fired is probably something that has to be looked into.

@mmurraypolitics

@danmericacnn

NGP-VAN says "only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data" they didn't own.

If he downloaded stuff ...that doesn't look good.

rjinaz

I sincerely hope Bernie isn't petty enough to burn the country down in spite.

The fact that his (apparent?) supporters are okay with this is just I don't even know

Slayven is not a Bernie supporter and was obviously being sarcastic. Bernie has already stated HE WILL NOT run 3rd party.

pigeon

Banned
Yup, that's a Clinton supporter in a nutshell. If Bernie does somehow wins the primary, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Clinton supporters not voting or voting for Republican.

In the sense that there are people who would vote for Clinton but not Sanders, this is obviously true. That's, like, the definition of electability.

Indicate

From NGP VAN

The security and privacy of our customers’ data is a top priority. Over the company’s 19 year history, we’ve not had a problem with that; but on Wednesday, we did have a brief isolated issue for users of one of our products.

First, no NGP data was impacted by this situation, nor any Action ID or FastAction data. No client websites or web site data were impacted, either. For VAN clients, no myMembers, myWorkers, or myCampaigns data was impacted. The one area that was impacted was voter file data. We are confident at this point that no campaigns have access to or have retained any voter file data of any other clients; with one possible exception, one of the presidential campaigns. NGP VAN is providing a thorough report to the DNC on what happened and conducting a review to ensure the integrity of the system.

Here’s what happened.

On Wednesday morning, there was a release of VAN code. Unfortunately, it contained a bug. For a brief window, the voter data that is always searchable across campaigns in VoteBuilder included client scores it should not have, on a specific part of the VAN system. So for voters that a user already had access to, that user was able to search by and view (but not export or save or act on) some attributes that came from another campaign.

As soon as we realized that there was an issue, we immediately mobilized our engineers to investigate the source of the issue. While we investigated the issue, we restricted access to affected areas of the VAN product for all users and limited access to data exports. Engineers quickly discovered the problem, and developed a fix.

We immediately began an audit to determine if any users had intentionally or unintentionally gained access to data they normally would not have access to within the limited timeframe when the bug was live. Our team removed access to the affected data, and determined that only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data to which it should not have had access.

We are honored to work with the DNC, the Clinton campaign, and the Sanders campaign. At the request of the DNC on Thursday, Sanders campaign access was suspended pending the campaign reporting on its access of the data; NGP VAN played no role in making that decision, and contractually could not. Again, this bug was a brief isolated issue, and we are not aware of any previous reports of such data being inappropriately available. We look forward to supporting all our Democratic clients, and in particular apologize to the DNC, Clinton and Sanders campaigns for our bug Wednesday. We will continue to work with and report to the DNC regarding this issue to ensure that this isolated incident does not recur. We have and will do better.

Moving forward, we are adding to our safeguards around these issues. We have thousands of automated tests and extensive code review and release procedures in place to prevent these types of issues, and will add more. If any clients have any questions, feel free to contact me. Again, we are confident that your data is secure, and the security and privacy of your data is a top priority for us.

noshten

Yikes! If that's true thats much worse then I was envisioning, and maybe this does deserve some serious scrutiny.

On Wednesday morning, there was a release of VAN code. Unfortunately, it contained a bug. For a brief window, the voter data that is always searchable across campaigns in VoteBuilder included client scores it should not have, on a specific part of the VAN system. So for voters that a user already had access to, that user was able to search by and view (but not export or save or act on) some attributes that came from another campaign.

http://blog.ngpvan.com/news/data-security-and-privacy

So either the vendor is lying or DWS

benjipwns

Banned
Will the Obama Administration be bringing criminal charges against Sanders?

I don't think you can have something super-illegal happen and not bring federal charges.

I mean, unless it's Hillary's Wall Street Cronies doing it.

Will the Obama Administration be bringing criminal charges against Sanders?

I don't think you can have something super-illegal happen and not bring federal charges.

I mean, unless it's Hillary's Wall Street Cronies doing it.

about time they get serious about white collar crime

Zornack

NPG VAN's wording is weird. They say the data was not savable but that Bernie's camp could have "retained" what they had access to.

If the campaigns explanation pans out then it's pretty clear.

Wow, if true then that staffer is a complete idiot. "Hey guys this data shouldn't be accessible, let's all go look at it and not inform the parties involved!"

WedgeX

Banned
Well now that's up to the Bernie campaign. It's not a permanent ban. The ball is entirely is Bernie's court now

The Bernie campaign has to first formally explain just WTH happened, and assure it wont happen again. Then they'll get access again.

The 4 user accounts VS only one person being fired is probably something that has to be looked into.

If he downloaded stuff ...that doesn't look good.

If the campaigns explanation pans out then it's pretty clear.

On the other hand, multiple accounts say that as many as four users associated with the Sanders campaign may have accessed the Clinton data. The Sanders campaign does not deny this; it says that those staffers did so at the behest of their boss, the staffer who has been fired

CDX

From NGP VAN

We immediately began an audit to determine if any users had intentionally or unintentionally gained access to data they normally would not have access to within the limited timeframe when the bug was live. Our team removed access to the affected data, and determined that only one campaign took actions that could possibly have led to it retaining data to which it should not have had access.

We are honored to work with the DNC, the Clinton campaign, and the Sanders campaign. At the request of the DNC on Thursday, Sanders campaign access was suspended pending the campaign reporting on its access of the data; NGP VAN played no role in making that decision, and contractually could not. Again, this bug was a brief isolated issue, and we are not aware of any previous reports of such data being inappropriately available. We look forward to supporting all our Democratic clients, and in particular apologize to the DNC, Clinton and Sanders campaigns for our bug Wednesday. We will continue to work with and report to the DNC regarding this issue to ensure that this isolated incident does not recur. We have and will do better.

first we have the downloading quote from a tweet above, now we have

"possibly have led to it retaining data"

If that guy downloaded and saved stuff that makes it worse.
I hope for Bernie's sake, that idiot he employed didn't do that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
As a Bernie supporter these conspiracy theories are sad to see but not surprising. Hopefully this will be dealt with soon so the campaign can move on.

pigeon

Banned
NPG VAN's wording is weird. They say the data was not savable but that Bernie's camp could have "retained" what they had access to.

VAN presumably has an export function that dumps the data in an interchange format for ease of transfer.

What they're saying is that you couldn't do that, but once you viewed the data, you could always take a screenshot or open an excel doc and capture the data by hand.

Zornack

VAN presumably has an export function that dumps the data in an interchange format for ease of transfer.

What they're saying is that you couldn't do that, but once you viewed the data, you could always take a screenshot or open an excel doc and capture the data by hand.

Ah, sure, that does make sense. If the staffer did something like that too, then... goddamn, what a moron.

Euron

Yup, that's a Clinton supporter in a nutshell. If Bernie does somehow wins the primary, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Clinton supporters not voting or voting for Republican.
Way to generalize an entire group. Honestly I see it as far more likely that a Bernie supporter would refuse to vote for Hillary out of spite judging by the way so many lash out at Hillary. But fuck generalizing. Many Clinton supporters are going her way because she's easily the most electable, which is true. They're doing this to prevent another Republican from taking office as president. Why on Earth would they go against everything they stand for?

Is there a chance that a few might do this? Absolutely. But it's a factor present in every group and it's simply a minority of a minority of people. You have absolutely no reason to make such absurd and sweeping generalizations.

And before you call me a "whiney Hillary supporter" or something, I wouldn't exactly call myself a big fan of her but I do see her as the only one who would actually be able to get any of her policies accomplished.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
As a Bernie supporter these conspiracy theories are sad to see but not surprising. Hopefully this will be dealt with soon so the campaign can move on.

I'm not seeing much of that outside of Benji's posts and Benji's posts aren't real.

To add a voice for the sane Bernie supporter crowd: I think the DNC acted accordingly to one of his staffers jeopardizing the integrity of his campaign, and there is no way I would vote for him if he ran third party.

Now please go on with all of your pleasant sarcasm.

Subtle

I'd say they're premature considering the lack of info we have, but the DNC can be pretty shady. Wouldn't put it past them to excessively punish Sanders for this.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm not seeing much of that outside of Benji's posts and Benji's posts aren't real.
You see it outside of GAF.
Umm what?
What don't you understand?
I'd say they're premature considering the lack of info we have, but the DNC can be pretty shady. Wouldn't put it past them to excessively punish Sanders for this.
Let's not go down this road. If they restore access within a day or even two people just need to move on.

Maledict

Like they excessively punished Clinton in 2008 by reducing Michigans and Floridas delegate count after they changed their primary deadline?

Anyone seeing any sort of plot or Ill dealings behind this is grasping at less than nothing. Even if the DNC was completely in the bag for Clinton, why would they do this? She's winning! Her position as front runner over the last two months hasn't gotten worse, it's improved - why would they do this *now*? There's no credible motive for this action other than the one on paper - Sanders dumb staff did something wrong and they've suspended access whilst they work out exactly what was done.

Sanders campaign staff have been dreadful from the very start - he's succeeded in spite of them, not because of it. It shouldn't surprise anyone whose been following the campaigns that one of his senior folk did this.

Zornack

http://time.com/4155185/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-data/

According to data obtained by TIME, the Sanders campaign appears to have obtained files with lists of unique voters that the Clinton campaign had cultivated in ten early states including Iowa and New Hampshire.

The compromised data reflects major financial investments by the Clinton campaign, and if the Sanders campaign did download and retain Clinton’s campaign data, it would mitigate some of the advantage she may have gained in voter outreach and listbuilding.

pigeon

Banned
Are we talking about PrintScreen/Ctrl-C Ctrl-V/taking cellphone pic level stuff?

I mean, yes, but also, like, be real. A prerequisite to viewing absolutely anything on your computer is that you must download it to your computer. Every time you view a webpage you're saving it to disk first. So if you really wanted to capture that data and you didn't want to do it purely by hand, it would still be easy to do it using view. Just do the equivalent of curl >> secretdata.txt.

fantomena

Sad to hear.

To me Bernie is kinda uninteresting. It's the amount of wordpread and grassroot power I find interesting.

As a socialdemocrat I found Hillary to be too much right-sided.

I would rather have Hillary as potus than a republican, but Hillary is pretty bad too imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom