• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever play video games while at work?

Do you ever play video games at work?

• Yes, during my lunch break

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • Yes, when I'm clocked in

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • Never

Votes: 87 53.0%

• Total voters
During your lunch break? In between projects? Or do you think it's a bad idea?

I occasionally bring my 3DS or Switch to work to play during lunch.

Hrk69

Gold Member
I do my daily quests on DBZ Dokkan Battle but that's mostly idle stuff

Other games? No shot

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Hyper depends on the day. I'm hybrid and sometimes between projects I will or if I'm waiting on multiple pieces from other people and can't really proceed.

It's not common, though.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
My first job straight after uni was pretty cool as the CEO was a massive gamer. Most of the staff would often play Civilization with games that would last days.

All jobs ive had since were are more serious and there was no gaming. Unless the daily wordle in the team chat counts as gaming haha.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, I work from home for the same company I've worked for for a decade. If it's slow or I'm waiting for shit outside of my control, I'm not sitting there doing nothing, I'm gonna do something and make the work up later.

Don't waste your life for businesses.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I work from home. I'll play in between calls with no issues. or if i'm troubleshooting with someone and waiting on them. I usually meet my quota early in the day so my stats dont take a hit. I just have to play something where i can pause it especially during cutscenes. I'm not dedicating my life for a job when they can fire me anytime for no reason.

Mortisfacio

I do sometimes, but not often. It's usually after hours stuff, like when I was dealing with Exchange Servers. Apply a new CU it can run for an hour or so. Sometimes I fill this time productively and work on other things. Sometimes I load up a game I can quit within 5 minutes of needing to or can quit instantly and will just check on work until what's running is done, then I'll hop off and resume work.

lmimmfn

No, work and play has to be completely separate(mentally), wouldn't care when I was younger, used to play games for work when I was working for Apple in the late 90s.

Skifi28

When I'm working on weekends or holidays (from home) there's usually very little to do so yeah. On new year's I was basically gaming 7 hours out of the 8.

cireza

If I go back home to have lunch, I might do a quick Night Striker run on SEGA-CD, or old 2D fighter's Arcade mode before going back to work.

Obviously, during work hours, I work.

Last edited:
I work from home. On slow days, or when I'm far ahead on my tasks, I'll sneak in a quick session of rocket league or boss rush in Sekiro.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I play during my lunch break every day. I used to just take "working lunches", where I would sit at my desk and still answer calls and emails while working. A few years ago I said "fuck this" and vowed to just leave the office for my one free hour a day.

Now I go out to my car, eat lunch, and pop out my Steam Deck, laptop, or Switch and play for the other 45-50 minutes.

It's good alone time that I usually look forward to, and having an extra 4 or so hours a week to game is a plus.

Muffdraul

Only for a while, a very long time ago. Story time...

I was working for a certain non-profit in the mid 90s. We were a media project and our head of post production was a trippy tech wizard of a guy, Jim Bannister. His office was right across from mine and in the beginning we were practically the only two people in our quadrant of this huge building on the Universal Studios lot, so we very quickly became chums. One day he came into my office with a handful of 3.5 floppy discs and said "You have a Mac, right? I need to install this software on it." We chatted while he installed the discs one by one. I thought it was weird that he was doing it instead of our IT guy, but I didn't question it. When they were all done he said, "OK, check that out, have fun, I want to know what you think." He left and when I looked at my desktop there was a new icon that said "Marathon." I opened the program and it was a video game. As soon as I started playing I thought "Oh OK, it's like the Mac's answer to Doom." Every once in a while Jim would ask me where I was in the game, what I thought of this, what I thought of that, all kinds of questions. Every time I walked past his office I could hear Marathon sound fx, I still remember how awesome the assault rifle sounded coming from his high quality speakers. He didn't seem like the gamer type, but again, I didn't think much of it at the time. Whenever anyone came into my office and caught me playing Marathon Jim would say, "Leave him alone, he's doing research for me" and wink.

After our project was up and running and the post production dept was all set up, Jim left. Years later I found out he went on to become some kind of "digital storytelling" guru who worked with Warner Bros, Disney... the kicker was that at some point he did a project with Alex Seropian, one of the founders of Bungie and creators of Marathon who left while Halo 2 was still in development.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

During pipeline testing when the code is just running and I'm just waiting for it to either complete successfully or throw an error, I might pop on the Switch and play for a few minutes.

LastBattle

I work from home 90% of the week, so use lunch breaks as a time to get some gaming in. When I was in the office 5 days a week. Never.

Last edited:

Hudo

Only for a while, a very long time ago. Story time...

I was working for a certain non-profit in the mid 90s. We were a media project and our head of post production was a trippy tech wizard of a guy, Jim Bannister. His office was right across from mine and in the beginning we were practically the only two people in our quadrant of this huge building on the Universal Studios lot, so we very quickly became chums. One day he came into my office with a handful of 3.5 floppy discs and said "You have a Mac, right? I need to install this software on it." We chatted while he installed the discs one by one. I thought it was weird that he was doing it instead of our IT guy, but I didn't question it. When they were all done he said, "OK, check that out, have fun, I want to know what you think." He left and when I looked at my desktop there was a new icon that said "Marathon." I opened the program and it was a video game. As soon as I started playing I thought "Oh OK, it's like the Mac's answer to Doom." Every once in a while Jim would ask me where I was in the game, what I thought of this, what I thought of that, all kinds of questions. Every time I walked past his office I could hear Marathon sound fx, I still remember how awesome the assault rifle sounded coming from his high quality speakers. He didn't seem like the gamer type, but again, I didn't think much of it at the time. Whenever anyone came into my office and catch me playing Marathon and Jim would say, "Leave him alone, he's doing research for me" and wink.

After our project was up and running and the post production dept was all set up, Jim left. Years later I found out he went on to become some kind of "digital storytelling" guru who worked with Warner Bros, Disney... the kicker was that at some point he did a project with Alex Seropian, one of the founders of Bungie and creators of Marathon who left while Halo 2 was still in development.
That's dope, man. I'd really wonder what Jim's (and Saropian's) opinions are on the Marathon extraction shooter Bungie are working on.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
compiling.png

Anyway, we had an intern that would play Mario Kart on his phone at work while he was fetching code or compiling it lol The stories I could talk about Ingress and being near a big farm you had to defend, like going for a coffee and returning two hours later after successfully defending a dozen portals lol That worked until coworkers started playing too so we made a pact, nobody attacked anything at work but could capture or recharge if someone else attacked.

SHA

Put yourself on ceos shoes and yourself this question? As a realtor it's not that different, I worry about where I put our money in the business, it's really not that different compared to ceos.

Roxkis_ii

I've never gamed while on the clock, but I heard of a guy who was raiding in wow while clocked in. I could never be THAT comfortable.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wfh most of the time but will quite often have half an hour on a game as my lunch break.

I used to take my Switch in to the office sometimes, but never actually got it out of my bag.

Last edited:

Corian33

I usually take my personal laptop to work. On my lunch break I eat, do a little homework, and then game for 15 minutes or so. Usually slow paced, or turn based games. Lately it’s Out of the Park Baseball, tinker a bit with the roster, play a game, it’s a nice break.

Zannegan

Does Wordle count? Otherwise, I'm usually just decompressing during lunch, either chatting with coworkers or doing something extremely low-concentration.

Muffdraul

That's dope, man. I'd really wonder what Jim's (and Saropian's) opinions are on the Marathon extraction shooter Bungie are working on.
All I know I was over the moon for about 10 seconds when it was announced, and then when I found out what type of game it was I wanted to throw my PC in a dumpster a la Ron Swanson.

Top Bottom