• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think mags/websites need to re-review Half Life 2 due to the Steam debacle?

Mrbob

I found Jeff Greens comments interesting in this thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15129

Now, as a preface, I haven't had any problems at all with this game (I bought it on Steam) so I'm not bring this up as a bash. In fact, I didn't even know there was one until I started reading all the different forums. It looks like there are huge problems with getting this game up and running with Steam and those who bought a retail copy. Personally, I think a small addendum should be added to all reviews talking about the troubles with Steam. Every reviewer I've ever read bases his/her opinion on how they put themselves in gamers shoes and rate games based on how they feel their 50 dollars spent is justified. Now, in the case of Half Life 2, it all took place in a controlled enviroment so reviewers didn't know about this aspect. Installing games is part of the PC game experience and if it takes longer to install a game than the amount of time you have been able to play it this isn't something that should be taken lightly. I hope Jeff Green does decide to talk about all the install problems in his 1up review. He would be doing a service to future buyers who would know about the potential pitfalls of buying a retail copy. I really think this is a legitimate concern. Especially if the future of the industry may try to go this route. 7, 8, 10 hours to get this game working? That is absurd.

IJoel

I think a note should be made to warn the customers of potential delivery/activation problems, but the game should be reviewed for what it is.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I agree with IJoel. Plus, I guess I'm one of the lucky few retail customers who had no problems at all. Now if someone wanted to stress the REEEDICULOUS load areas and skipping, and penalize it for it, that would be A-OK by me since that will probably never be "fixed".

fausty

That's a fine line there. Plus, what's that worth review-score wise? People who bought a physical copy had problems for the first day getting it unlocked, is that really worth dropping the score a half point or something?

Also, hasn't that been fixed?

Lastly, if games were reviewed by first-day/week problems, MMORPGs would all get big fat zeros.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
i think it should be noted, but unless steam impacts the actual in-game experience (which, as far as i can tell, it really doesn't), it shouldn't change the actual score. should it be noted? should the reader be warned? absolutely. but does it change the actual game's content? no.

Deku Tree

If they re-review Half Life 2 for the steam debacle, they should also re-review Halo 2 for the quickmatch wait debacle. (I know it's been fixed, but most likely the steam debacle will be fixed too.)

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
the difference between half-life 2 and MMORPG launches is that during most MMORPG launches, the actual gameplay is broken (i.e. star wars galaxies) and the subsequent rapid patching is an attempt to clear that up. additionally, problems with connections, servers in an MMORPG are absolutely, positively crucial to enjoyment of the experience; they're dependent in order to play.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
IJoel said:
I think a note should be made to warn the customers of potential delivery/activation problems, but the game should be reviewed for what it is.

IAWTP.

Seriously, I see some major review sites do their reviews on AMD FX-53s with 1 Gig of 2-2-2 400 MHz dual-channel RAM and a X800 XT or 6800 ULTRA. That's not representative of how the average gamer will play the game. But the point is they are reviewing the game, not the setup to play it. It's something that the buyer needs to be aware of with PC games.

Arcticfox

Seeing as anyone who will be reading the review before buying the game will never run into the first day problems, I don't see the point of it affecting the score.

fausty

eXxy said:
the difference between half-life 2 and MMORPG launches is that during most MMORPG launches, the actual gameplay is broken (i.e. star wars galaxies) and the subsequent rapid patching is an attempt to clear that up. additionally, problems with connections, servers in an MMORPG are absolutely, positively crucial to enjoyment of the experience; they're dependent in order to play.
I was making a joke... That said, you made an interesting point - your last sentence could be used for HL2 as well (at least for getting started)... :)

Mrbob

Yeah, I'm not saying to dock the score. But just don't try to make this huge coverup over the issue.

If they re-review Half Life 2 for the steam debacle, they should also re-review Halo 2 for the quickmatch wait debacle. (I know it's been fixed, but most likely the steam debacle will be fixed too.)

I suppose they could but I consider this an apples and oranges type of a situation. You can pop in the Halo 2 disc and get into the campaign mode in under a minute. Besides, Steam is a much bigger component in respect to its game than matchmaking ever will be with Halo 2. You need Steam logged in to play Half Life 2 single player. Not a big deal for me but it is for many others. The only way to get around it is load up steam, have your username and password saved, and physically disconnect your online connection. But then if you quit and want to start back you have to log onto steam again.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
While I knew I'd have to screw around with Steam a little before playing the game, I was none the less pretty psyched as I was heading home to play it. Well, that excitement soon diminished when I literally spent over two hours installing the game from its five CDs, creating my Steam account, waiting on Steam to update itself, and waiting for my game to authenticate (and then fail and eventually finish later). Then, after that's all completed, I go to launch the game, and guess what, 15 minutes of mandatory updates before I can begin. It was certainly something of a kill-joy at the time. Yes, I'm a dial-up user (teh suck, yeah yeah, I know), but there's alot of us out there, and when you literally hand a clerk money at a store to purchase a game it's kind of nice to be able to, you know, actually play it when you take it home. Oh well, if nothing else it allowed me some Halo 2 time and now that the game's up and going, I'm having alot of fun with it. Still, I DO think stuff like this contributes negatively to the Gaming Experience (TM).

WarPig

When we were asking Valve a couple weeks ago about the details of the installation and authentication process, they were kinda cagey about it. Didn't volunteer a lot of details. I think maybe I get why now.

DFS.

dream

On one hand Steam doesn't affect the quality of the game itself. On the other hand, Steam is a problem when it PREVENTS YOU FROM ACTUALLY STARTING THE THING!

TheDuce22

Banned
All that and the game has allready been pirated. I guess it prevented anything from hitting the net before the actuall release but in the long run all it does is screw over people who paid for the game.

Top Bottom