• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the Switch 2 will be the first Nintendo console not to be emulated?

Interfectum

Oprah Winfrey Judging You GIF

Fbh

Nah they'll get it working eventually.
The fact its probably going to be underpowered will probably help.

I hope they crack it open too, unlike the Switch it could be a cool emulation machine too if they can get custom firmware to work.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Where there’s a will there’s a way.
I'm saying, I don't even think 1 company has ever stopped someone from emulating based on any technical thing

Not sure why Nintendo of all companies would have the know how to stop any of that.
You could’ve put that whole thing in the title
They are practicing that click bait article. Get em with the bait, rewarded with the click lol

He looks like this when be post the bait

deliciously-moist.gif

Closer

Nintendo consoles will always be emulated because people don't want to spend money on their hardware and want to pirate their games, so I don't really think Swiitchie is gonna be the first console to not be emulated.

Last edited:

lestar

Switch 2 will be easily emulated, current consoles are the easiest to emulate ever compared to older consoles because they are too similar to a PC and the hardware are too well documented (AMD and NVIDIA).

tkscz

It's going to be emulated, no escaping that. Just hope whoever does it doesn't do it the way Tropical Haze (Yuzu/Citra) were doing it.

I believe emulation in and of itself is fine. Once a system is out of production those games can be lost and unpreserved without emulation. But Tropical Haze were doing it purely for profit and not preservation. They pirated the game early so they could either get it working on Yuzu before or when the actual game released. We don't need that.

Holammer

We should take bets on how many years months it'll take. I'm guessing 8 months for the first commercial game running.
If they make games cross-compatible between Switch & the next-gen device, even faster. Ideally they should have switched CPU/OS to shake off hackers.

Every consolee gets hacked & emulated eventually.

If I were Nintendo I'd more so target the sites hosting the emulators and places trying to distribute ISO rips. They can't really ever "stop" the emu community from doing what they do, only delay them.

It can take a while. Xbox One just got its first emulation going for example.

TBF the emulation community didn't care much for XBO and that had a part in why it took so long to get emulated. The more popular systems tend to get emulated more quickly, even if at a technical level they're harder to crack.

The Saturn's a weird exception in that regard. Lack of popularity definitely played a part in why it took damn near 20 years for its security to be fully cracked, but the system itself was just a beast of engineering, but not in the elegant and well thought-out way the PS2 was or the almost-as-elegant way the PS3 was. And some things like the DSP still aren't fully understood.

Last edited:

xanaum

No. If we have the same architecture, which apparently will be due to backward compatibility, in 1 year we'll be playing Switch 2 on an emulator with more frames and upscaled resolution.

LordOfChaos

It will most certainly be emulated. In fact a lot of the groundwork may already be laid since it should use a similar API to NVN, a similar ARM architecture, similar Nvidia graphics, for full BC with the Switch. So we may get to it faster than with the Switch itself, which is so easy to emulate Intel IGPs can play many of its games better than it itself. It'll just raise the hardware bar because emulation takes more overhead over the systems power, but with the Switch being so easy to do it's probable that even current PCs can do it.

Security wise Nintendo doesn't seem to put that much effort in. The heavily pirated Wii's security chip was also used in the Wii U iirc, and instead of a licence key per game copy, it was only one per game, so PC installers were actually pulling copies from Nintendo's own download servers for the Wii U generation.

While it's possible they decide to give far more of an arse this gen and put more security in, remember when Denuvo was supposed to end piracy? Yeah.

Last edited:

FlaffySheeby

Neo Member
I mean let's be honest, if we can emulate the PS3 than it's more than likely possible at some point. Maybe not at record time, but hey where there's a will there's a way.

On a side note, emulation of modern hardware always seemed kind of weird to me, since all of it is publicly available. It's unlike how things used to be where if I wanted a copy of Phantasy Star Online a single generation after it came out I'd have to fork over an arm and a leg, then send a search party to retrieve the thing.

BlackTron

It might be one of the more difficult Nintendo systems to emulate because the system requirements to do it will be substantially higher.

I'm not seeing the security as much of a barrier. I see the security more making it difficult to play backups on a real system. The bigger barrier with an emulator is in writing it.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
It will be, the important thing for Nintendo is that it's emulated when it's obsolete, just like the Xbox One emulation. They did a terrific job with the online authentication for games, pity for them the Nvidia chip came with a bug.

Fyrium

Neo Member
I'd guesstimate 3-5 years for something basic (private testing) to get running.

For it not to happen at all though? Nah. No way. Too much interest I would think.

Top Bottom