• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

sturmdogg

What is it with the running gag on Scotland?

Doctor: "Complete and utter lack of sunlight".

Nardole: "Death by Scotland".

and

Nardole: "It's all a bit damp though, isn't it."

Doctor: "It's Scotland. It's supposed to be damp."

tomtom94

Re: series 10 it's all been very good, the 3-parter's ambitions were not matched by the writing so that is quite skippable I would say.

What is it with the running gag on Scotland?

Doctor: "Complete and utter lack of sunlight".

Nardole: "Death by Scotland".

and

Nardole: "It's all a bit damp though, isn't it."

Doctor: "It's Scotland. It's supposed to be damp."

Well, Moffat and Capaldi are both Scottish. It's like any nod at Wales because of the shooting location.

Re: series 10 it's all been very good, the 3-parter's ambitions were not matched by the writing so that is quite skippable I would say.

The Lie of the Land is definitely the best episode of the season to watch on mute.

I might be more excited about a new master at some point than I am a new doctor. That's odd right?

If I was fan casting I'd love to have seen
The Doctor
Doctor-Who1.jpg

The Master
charles-dance-will-appear-in-director-paul-feigs-upcoming-ghostbusters-reboot-here-here-is-at-ty.jpeg

The Corsair
patrick-stewart-master-builder-g6d6r5.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
Was it ever explained in Doctor "canon" why Peter Capaldi has appeared 3 times in the universe as different charecters? First in Pompi, then Torchwood Children of Earth, than as the 12th? I know in an interview it was mentioned that they would have a reason for that happening, was it ever actually explained in an episode, or just shrugged off.

-griffy-

Banned
Was it ever explained in Doctor "canon" why Peter Capaldi has appeared 3 times in the universe as different charecters? First in Pompi, then Torchwood Children of Earth, than as the 12th? I know in an interview it was mentioned that they would have a reason for that happening, was it ever actually explained in an episode, or just shrugged off.

Wasn't it implied after he regenerated that his new face may have been based off of a face he had seen before?

They never explained the Torchwood connection (though RTD has publicly said he believes Capaldi's character there is a direct descendant of the roman character), but one episode of Series 9 of Doctor Who dedicates several minutes to this, complete with flashbacks to the 10th Doctor, Donna & Caecilius.

The answer is
in a time of personal crisis (see his whole dilemma right through series 8 of 'I don't know who I am any more') he subconsciously chose the face of somebody he didn't intend to save but then did - to remind him of who he is. The specific wording is the face exists to "hold him to the mark" of being the Doctor, and saving people - because as Donna said back then, sometimes he needs reminding.

If you only watched Series 8 or missed any of Series 9 it'd be easy to forget, as it's sort of bought up a couple of times in S8 and then not mentioned again, but then the Doctor sort of remembers and 'solves' it out of nowhere during a stressful moment in S9.

Feffe

The Lie of the Land is probably the worst episode or New Who, because it's not only a bad written episode but it killed a trilogy which was quite good before it :/ Series 10 went from "on par with S9" to "worst Capaldi series" for me.

My ranking:
6 & 9
10 & 4

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Eaters of Light is a competely solid 7/10 episode. It does all the things a Doctor Who episode normally does, it doesn't excel at anything. Dependable. Probably wouldn't return to it, but appreciated it for what it was.

Kevin

I feel like this season is a bit all over the place. The first few episodes were solid, didn't care much for the haunted mansion episode, Extremis was fantastic, the two follow up episodes were pretty meh, the Mars episode felt low budget and kind of boring but I did feel like the most recent episode was pretty solid. I think the final two episodes will kind of make or break the season for me but currently I feel like this season is kind of just there. Not horrible but not much in the way of good.

I was pretty negative when I heard Chibnall was taking over but the stuff I heard recently about his plan for the show made me feel a little more positive and honestly this show really does feel like it needs a good refresh at this point as the current writers seem "tired" and it's starting to make the episodes feel too similar to one another. We'll have to see what Chibnall does with the show. Hopefully it will mean good things though I wasn't a fan of some of his previous work so it's hard to say.

Eaters of Light is a competely solid 7/10 episode. It does all the things a Doctor Who episode normally does, it doesn't excel at anything. Dependable. Probably wouldn't return to it, but appreciated it for what it was.

It's a fair summary of the series so far I think. It's been pretty decent, enjoyable, but I can't think of any outstanding episodes/moments off the top of my head to come back to. Maybe after a rewatching, and maybe after the final episodes. Fingers crossed!

Fury451

Banned
Maybe I'm getting old and/or just disinterested with the Moffat run, but I felt like most episodes for the past 2 series have been difficult to follow. Not that the plots are hard to understand per se, I just felt like I was watching stories that didn't have a lot of context for what was happening- almost like they began in medias res.

Maybe my attention span is just shot.

Looks like these next episodes are gonna be jam packed, it looks like they're going for a Genesis story for the Cybermen, a multi-master story, and the start for the wrap up for the 12th Doctor's as well as Missy's arc for these past 3 seasons.

Looks like the Master has his Laser Screwdriver again, as well.

Davide

Just got done with Season 7 part 2.

So my feelings about Season 7 as a whole now: it sucks. Its a waste of good talent. Matt Smith finally looks comfortable as his form of the doctor (which still sucks, I do not like this doctor #notmydoctor). Anyway, the good feelings I was getting from the very first very good "Asylum of the Daleks" to the great Snowman episode, its been a complete waste after words. So much promise, such bad writing. I really dislike Moffat, he's basically ruined Doctor Who. If it wasnt for my friends telling me the 50th is a great episode, I'm not even sure I'd want to finish this off (except for the guilty pleasure of killing off the 11th doctor, which I look forward to).

*sigh* I feel like a show that I grew to love from seasons 1 - 4 basically got axe murdered in front of my eyes with Season 5 - 7.
Wow I'm the opposite, I find 1-4 pretty meh and only really like Moffat's Doctor Who aside from Series 10.

I haven't watched or read anything about the new series, is it any good? I've grown increasingly tired with Moffat's high adventure & convoluted nonsense formula, and have only half enjoyed about three episodes from then last couple of series. Is this just of the same?
Moffat's most dull series IMO. Series 9 had Capaldi's best episodes.

Bluth54

They never explained the Torchwood connection (though RTD has publicly said he believes Capaldi's character there is a direct descendant of the roman character), but one episode of Series 9 of Doctor Who dedicates several minutes to this, complete with flashbacks to the 10th Doctor, Donna & Caecilius.

The answer is
in a time of personal crisis (see his whole dilemma right through series 8 of 'I don't know who I am any more') he subconsciously chose the face of somebody he didn't intend to save but then did - to remind him of who he is. The specific wording is the face exists to "hold him to the mark" of being the Doctor, and saving people - because as Donna said back then, sometimes he needs reminding.

If you only watched Series 8 or missed any of Series 9 it'd be easy to forget, as it's sort of bought up a couple of times in S8 and then not mentioned again, but then the Doctor sort of remembers and 'solves' it out of nowhere during a stressful moment in S9.

Honesty I don't know why Moffat thought he needed to explain it. Some people look so similar that they could be twins. Having multiple people in the Doctor Who universe that look like Capaldi isn't that crazy.

LordRaptor

Honesty I don't know why Moffat thought he needed to explain it. Some people look so similar that they could be twins. Having multiple people in the Doctor Who universe that look like Capaldi isn't that crazy.

Especially across the space of centuries - like that photo 'proving' Nick Cage is a vampire
article-1316526718153-0e003cf000000578-790150_362x220.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just finished watching the 50th "Day of the Doctor" episode. My god that was good. Confusing, very "made up on the spot" feeling, but very good. Seeing the 10th was wonderful, and Tenant outclassed everyone in the episode and reminded me why I miss him.

A question for those who saw it when it first aired, was the quick first look at the 12th doctor a huge suprise/mind blowing? Was it already know at that point who would be the 12th? I thought it was really awesome how you get a quick glimps.

Also is it fair to interpret the end and say they are all inside the Tardis from the distant future (those circle things on the walls!). Is it also trying to imply the doctor does not die at Trenzalore but rather retires to the curator role we see there?

Horsefly

A question for those who saw it when it first aired, was the quick first look at the 12th doctor a huge suprise/mind blowing? Was it already know at that point who would be the 12th? I thought it was really awesome how you get a quick glimps.

The BBC had already done the reveal that summer, from what I remember. This episode then aired the following winter. We knew it was going to be Capaldi, but not what his costume or the Tardis would look like.

Chuck's pain grew 8X immediately after the conversation with Jimmy.

When I rewatch the series, I'm gonna have to track when Chuck's illness spikes up. It's obvious his bad relationship with Jimmy causes atleast some of it.
Come on. Post in the right thread.

You're slippin, Jimmy

I just finished watching the 50th "Day of the Doctor" episode. My god that was good. Confusing, very "made up on the spot" feeling, but very good. Seeing the 10th was wonderful, and Tenant outclassed everyone in the episode and reminded me why I miss him.

Also is it fair to interpret the end and say they are all inside the Tardis from the distant future (those circle things on the walls!). Is it also trying to imply the doctor does not die at Trenzalore but rather retires to the curator role we see there?
Spoilers

8bit

Knows the Score
Chuck's pain grew 8X immediately after the conversation with Jimmy.

When I rewatch the series, I'm gonna have to track when Chuck's illness spikes up. It's obvious his bad relationship with Jimmy causes atleast some of it.

?

mclem

We knew Capaldi was coming at that point, but we didn't know he was going to be in it. Or his eyebrows, anyhow.

Dryk

Your in a thread about the 10th season of Doctor Who, do I really need to spoil tag things from the 7th? If so I absolutely will go back and edit it, just figured anyone in this thread was well passed these episodes.
It was a response to your question, not a comment on your post

YOOOOOOOOO. Does that mean
Moffatt is finally going to explain what the fuck is up with all the different kinds of Cybermen from our universe?

Blader

The TARDIS with the round things on the wall is the War Doctor's TARDIS.

As for Trenzalore...stay tuned.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It was a response to your question, not a comment on your post

Oh thank you then :)

The TARDIS with the round things on the wall is the War Doctor's TARDIS.

Pretty sure the round things were from the 70's series, thus why the two doctors called them out.
maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

i-love-the-round-things.gif

The war doctor tardis just incorporated them as a design element.

If I've learned one major thing about set design, its that nothing is ever done by accident:

To me it was an intentional choice to make that call back. I'm curious if it has any significant meaning. could just be he wanted to decorate the gallary a bit like the Tardis he knew.

Feffe

Capaldi was already announced as the 12th Doctor, but nobody knew he was going to get a cameo. It definitely was a mindblowing moment :)
Another WTF!!! moment during the 50th anniversary was the Night of the Doctor, which you should watch if you hadn't because... well, watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Oh thank you then :)

Pretty sure the round things were from the 70's series, thus why the two doctors called them out.

That's pretty much a version of the 5th/6th Doctor's TARDIS console from the mid-80's.

With various bits from other different versions IIRC.

1753867.gif

And the War Doctor's TARDIS is just 9/10's console in the 60's set from An Adventure in Space and Time.

latest

Bluth54

It was pretty amazing seeing a small cameo from Capaldi, I don't think anyone saw it coming.

I'm not normally big on reaction videos but this one for Capaldi's cameo is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HixTU1GUoQM

Dryk

And the War Doctor's TARDIS is just 9/10's console in the 60's set from An Adventure in Space and Time.
In retrospect its pretty amazing how well it fits considered it's cobbled together from spare set parts the BBC happened to have lying around

Blader

The implication was there yes, the gallery is the curators tardis.

Oh I think I misinterpreted what he was asking. I assumed he was talking about the scene when all three Doctors are in the TARDIS and it glitches into other TARDISes, with the one where Ten/Eleven talk about the "round things" on the walls being the War Doctor's. Didn't realize he was asking about the gallery at the end, which I had never thought of as being the Curator's TARDIS, but that's a cool idea.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Oh I think I misinterpreted what he was asking. I assumed he was talking about the scene when all three Doctors are in the TARDIS and it glitches into other TARDISes, with the one where Ten/Eleven talk about the "round things" on the walls being the War Doctor's. Didn't realize he was asking about the gallery at the end, which I had never thought of as being the Curator's TARDIS, but that's a cool idea.

Yep, sorry my question wasn't clear! But yes, thats what I was talking about.

Confusing? It was my first ever time watching Doctor Who. Confusing doesn't begin to describe it.

Dryk

Lighting it drastically different did wonders.
I've always loved the fact that you can look at it and instantly think "This is exactly what the War Doctor's console room would look like". From both the perspective of his personality and the perspective of him acting as a bridge between the new and old series.

Top Bottom