• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

bengraven

Is River going to cut a pizza?

Looks like she got a model of the USS Enterprise for Christmas

LOL exactly what I was thinking.

I guess it's okay to post that leaked picture of the sonic now:

Oh I like it. A bit much at the end, but it looks like a TARDIS.

Christmas is called The Husbands of River Song
It’s Christmas Day on a remote human colony and the Doctor is hiding from carols and comedy antlers. But when the Time Lord’s help is requested he finds himself recruited into River Song’s squad and hurled into a fast and frantic chase across the galaxy! King Hydroflax (Greg Davies) is furious and his giant robot bodyguard is out-of-control and coming for them all! Will Nardole (Matt Lucas) survive? And when will River work out who the Doctor is?

All will be revealed on a starliner full of galactic super-villains and at a destination the Doctor has been avoiding for a very long time…

CVGSrtPU8AAAGtb.png

Part of that synopsis makes me want to throw something though. If we're back to them giving him missions fuck everything about that.

There does appear to be a new Sonic, though.

I have to admit, I'm excited. I'm a rare River Song lover though, so I'll be enjoying the banter.

Quick

Banned
That new sonic screwdriver looks really classy.

On River:

I don't hate River, but there was so much squandered potential with her episodes.

Interesting new Interview with Moffat from the Radio Times here - especially interesting given his comments earlier this week about coming to the end of his run (it seems S10 will be the end, or it's certainly sounding that way).

He confirms that Jamie Mathieson has pitched an idea for next series and is working on a script, so we have a writer confirmed to return there. Mathieson of course previously did Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline and The Girl Who Died.

He also talks a little about his process, and how his go-to guys for notes on his own scripts these days are Gatiss and Davies - which strikes me as interesting for two reasons, firstly because I think it adds more credence to the idea Gatiss might be next, and second it seems Davies has at least partially relaxed his "I don't want to hear anything about the show!" attitude, where he refused to look at scripts for Series 5/6 because he didn't want to influence the new era - so maybe we're edging closer to him returning to do an episode here and there. I loved seeing Matt Smith perform Davies' version of the Eleventh Doctor in Sarah Jane Aventures and I'd be keen to see him write for Capaldi. Similarly, I hope when Moffat leaves he keeps writing as a guest.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...-pressures-of-running-doctor-who-and-sherlock

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked River a lot until the reveal of her backstory, which I found to be terribly underwhelming. Still like the character, but the backstory just brought it down for me.

Still excited to see her and Capaldi.

Khaz

Peter Jackson confirms he's directing an episode of Doctor Who!

He's a very fun video where he confirms it, with a cameo by Capaldi (as the Doctor):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM

Some pretty funny lines in that video.

This is pretty big guys. I'm not the biggest Peter Jackson fan (especially not Hobbit, but I was never big into LOTR either), but I really like the guy as a person, and it'd give us a very interesting episode at the very least.

Damn Peter Jackson trolling us with his copy of The Silmarillion

I kinda liked Sonic Sunglasses not just because it's a new twist on a classic element, but because the rise of e-cigs makes the Doctor look like he's vaping now with that screwdriver.

Also looks like River has a lightsaber hilt plugged into an Enterprise model.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Hard to imagine Capaldi might be nearing the end of his run when it feels like he just regenerated from Smith the other day!

I feel the same way. He's had nearly two series so far but I still feel like he just barely started.
I think it's because of the two series themselves. Though I love Peter there were a lot of episodes that just didn't really click with me. The man deserves better writing.

I'm interested in seeing how much the feel of the show changes with a new companion in s10. And if Moffat ends up leaving at the end, I'm even more interested in seeing the 12th Doctor under new management in s11. My current feeling is that Peter has got to do at least four series as long as he's up for it.

The next companion needs to be a type we haven't seen in Nu-Who. A completely average person with no romantic feelings for the doctor, no prophecy destining them for greatness, no big mystery surrounding them, and no having them save the world in the finale. They should just be a regular person.

So Donna until her last episode

I don't think the Ood prophecy is a big enough deal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Peter Jackson confirms he's directing an episode of Doctor Who!

He's a very fun video where he confirms it, with a cameo by Capaldi (as the Doctor):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w6agKVUCTM

Some pretty funny lines in that video.

This is pretty big guys. I'm not the biggest Peter Jackson fan (especially not Hobbit, but I was never big into LOTR either), but I really like the guy as a person, and it'd give us a very interesting episode at the very least.

I didn't know he was a big fan. Makes his appearance in the Five-ish Doctors a lot more amusing.

GVTXSOG.gif

chefbags

So I had a thought, forgive me if it makes no sense but I had an idea that the hybrid will be David Tennant's half human/half time Lord doctor that stayed with rose. Sounds implausible but it stuck with me for a while lol.

Oh good, he gets the sonic back.

Also, nothing about that sounds appealing, but Moffat did just write the best episode in a long time, so...

nope, still sounds awful.

And I think people are reading that wrong. I think "The Time Lord's help" is just referring to The Doctor's help being requested.

All of this

Peter Jackson's episodes need to be about the Doctor being pursued by lecherous, drug dealing, cheap looking muppets

bengraven

I liked River a lot until the reveal of her backstory, which I found to be terribly underwhelming. Still like the character, but the backstory just brought it down for me.

Still excited to see her and Capaldi.

What brought me down about the backstory was that she went from "Mels" to River. It would have been better if she had more regenerations there. I'd love for someone in like 20 years, the 19th Doctor meets a young woman who's revealed to be River. But he killed that by basically giving her three regens, the giving the rest to the Doctor.

Dryk

What brought me down about the backstory was that she went from "Mels" to River. It would have been better if she had more regenerations there. I'd love for someone in like 20 years, the 19th Doctor meets a young woman who's revealed to be River. But he killed that by basically giving her three regens, the giving the rest to the Doctor.
River's arc seemed really rushed in that regard, like Moffatt laid out of of these scattered breadcrumbs and decided to connect them all as quickly as possible.

Big Nikus

So I had a thought, forgive me if it makes no sense but I had an idea that the hybrid will be David Tennant's half human/half time Lord doctor that stayed with rose. Sounds implausible but it stuck with me for a while lol.

I thought about it too actually. I also thought that the clone might be the Valeyard. If we count the not-really-regenerations (the War Doctor and Tennant's Meta Regen), that makes him the 12th. And he's an hybrid. And he's not really the Doctor but kinda is at the same time. And it seems the Time Lords were searching between universes to find their way home, they could have picked him up on the way.
Alas, Ashildr/Me is most certainly the hybrid, so...
The idea is funny though, it could be awesome. Imagine a season 10 with Capaldi and Tennant as an Evil Doctor.

Maddocks

I think what kills the hybrid talk of who is it is them actually showing ME in the next time trailer. Once I seen her, almost ended all debate on who the doctor was talking about. Not going to ruin anything I hope, but would have liked them to keep her out of the next time thing.

Big Nikus

I think what kills the hybrid talk of who is it is them actually showing ME in the next time trailer. Once I seen her, almost ended all debate on who the doctor was talking about. Not going to ruin anything I hope, but would have liked them to keep her out of the next time thing.

Yeah, I wish they hadn't shown her in the trailer.
It doesn't prevent the clone to be the Valeyard though. (He isn't)

ultron87

I just watched the last two episodes. Holy shit.

Both were pretty good but the last one with just The Doctor was just stupendous.

chefbags

I thought about it too actually. I also thought that the clone might be the Valeyard. If we count the not-really-regenerations (the War Doctor and Tennant's Meta Regen), that makes him the 12th. And he's an hybrid. And he's not really the Doctor but kinda is at the same time. And it seems the Time Lords were searching between universes to find their way home, they could have picked him up on the way.
Alas, Ashildr/Me is most certainly the hybrid, so...
The idea is funny though, it could be awesome. Imagine a season 10 with Capaldi and Tennant as an Evil Doctor.

Tennant as an evil doctor would be perfect because he already had practice from jessica Jones lol

TheJoRu

Tennant as an evil doctor would be perfect because he already had practice from jessica Jones lol

Lol, as a Doctor Who fan it's really distracting to watch him in JJ. He's great, but it's also quite close to how he played The Doctor, except he being eccentric is supposed to be sinister rather than endearing. A bit hard if you've seen so much of him as The Doctor.

mclem

7:27 tonight is the grand unveiling of the Christmas lineup and idents. All I've gathered thus far is that sprouts are involved.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
So that latest ep

that was the birth of the valeyard right?

Chariot

Likely not as Moffat has said he'd never do/doesn't like the Valeyard. But he's also said that about virtually everything he's ever done, so...
I wish he would do the opposite when asked for future plans. Just nod to everything, just tell everyone, no matter how ridiculous that it "could surely happen". Thus nobody knows in the end what will happen and no roads are awkwardly closed when you need to use them.

7:27 tonight is the grand unveiling of the Christmas lineup and idents. All I've gathered thus far is that sprouts are involved.

So that's what that thing is. I thought it was a Poddington Pea (super obscure reference). I'm a total sucker for Christmas idents and I have zero idea why.

mclem

So that's what that thing is. I thought it was a Poddington Pea (super obscure reference). I'm a total sucker for Christmas idents and I have zero idea why.
I love 'em too. I think they're a nice time capsule of era, and they go some way towards giving a flavour to the year's programming. And there's a great rush of nostalgia when looking back over old ones. Plus it's delightful when they really do something special, like the line of unique Wallace & Gromit ones from 2008

They did overuse those damn penguins, though.

Edit:

Now this is what I'm talking about!

XklIRhR.jpg

Just sounding something out because it bugs me that the Dr had clothes to get into.

The first dr to run the gauntlet wouldn't have had the shovel/ skulls/ stars to indicate the time loop or the dry clothes by the fireplace

In my head I like to think the first loop (or even first few hundred!) through took a lot longer than the subsequent loops and involved the Dr figuring it all out in another way and then laying out the puzzle pieces in order for the subsequent dr's to go through the loop more efficiently

Is that plausible?

Got to say thought the episode was fantastic

Joqu

Just sounding something out because it bugs me that the Dr had clothes to get into.

The first dr to run the gauntlet wouldn't have had the shovel/ skulls/ stars to indicate the time loop or the dry clothes by the fireplace

In my head I like to think the first loop (or even first few hundred!) through took a lot longer than the subsequent loops and involved the Dr figuring it all out in another way and then laying out the puzzle pieces in order for the subsequent dr's to go through the loop more efficiently

Is that plausible?

Got to say thought the episode was fantastic

Sure. The earlier and later runs, but especially the first, must have been quite different from what we got to see, yeah. I think that's pretty much implied. It's interesting to think about but that's about it, nothing we needed to see. We especially didn't need to see Capaldi running around naked because he left his clothes behind. :p

Fireblend

Banned
I'm pretty sure on every iteration he knew how the teleporter worked, and when he noticed the rooms reset he knew he could make a copy of himself - he just didn't have a use for it until the stars' positions/bird keyword made him realize what "the plan" was and how the teleporter fit in. Presumably he figured out setting up a loop would be necessary on his first iteration - he might as well not have seen the diamond wall, but just set up the loop as a sort of warranty.

Fireblend

Banned
So the Lego set is up on the Lego store. Is there any reason to wait for Amazon to stock it or should I just order it now? I've never ordered anything directly from the Lego store before.

Sure. The earlier and later runs, but especially the first, must have been quite different from what we got to see, yeah. I think that's pretty much implied. It's interesting to think about but that's about it, nothing we needed to see. We especially didn't need to see Capaldi running around naked because he left his clothes behind. :p

Ooh another thing that just struck me is that maybe the diamond room/ painting didn't regenerate during room resets because they were being damaged so slowly that the room wouldn't have noticed any change between each refresh

Over the years the painting of Clara deteriorated in the same way that the wall deteriorated

Ophelion

Dorky excitement over costuming and props in 3...2...1...YAY sonic screwdriver is back! Horray! Capaldi's Doctor is keeping that badass red velvet coat. I did like the black coat with the red lining, but this is juuuuuuust a little flashier. Just enough to keep him from looking so severe. Still looks like a magician though.

I quite like River's costume in that promo image too. Suits her. It's really cool.

Personally, I'm not worried about the Christmas special other than it being a spot of fun over the holidays. That's pretty much all the Christmas specials are. It doesn't look like it'll set the world on fire, but it looks like it will be entertaining.

mclem

So the Lego set is up on the Lego store. Is there any reason to wait for Amazon to stock it or should I just order it now? I've never ordered anything directly from the Lego store before.

Well, if you add on an extra tenner, you can get a free gingerbread house. So there's that.

Dalek

Now that Christopher Eccelston has played Malekith and David Tennant has played the Purple Man in the MCU-what role could Matt Smith play in the MCU?

Chariot

It's funny that the Doctors ended up in Marvel, while male supports (Jack and Rory) ended up with DC. Oh, and Missy was in Gotham.

Top Bottom