• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Dalek

"What do you think by the way? Of my new body?"
"I don't know, I've only seen your face".

Also, the look of glee on his face when she reveals herself. He knows it's going to be a fun Christmas.

Damn, so much of that looks pretty decent. And no way will ever come to America. I seriously think I'd pay the BBC license to watch BBC unchanged here in America.

I really love a lot of British crime/police dramas-even though as an American I don't fully understand the differences in the legal/justice system there.

What's the Toby Jones section from?
He's currently in Capital, and Detectorists. The second of which is such a sweet funny show. Bit of a slow one, but it's a gorgeous bit of work.

ah yes, i can see that now.

It's nice to see that between Road to Coronation Street, Adventure in Space and Time and now this, that we've got a mini-genre of 'how TV shows happened' dramas. They're ace.

bengraven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=1BDhKIXYw5Q

A few more quick shots during this Christmas promo.

River shocked in the TARDIS, Doctor looking toward someone, and I think that's Matt Lucas as the guest star in the beginning?

I really love a lot of British crime/police dramas-even though as an American I don't fully understand the differences in the legal/justice system there.

I'd love to check out the little rural comedies. The cozy little quaint villages where people are half mad or secretly disgusting.

Boem

I haven't followed the hybrid theories at all, so this is probably something already mentioned by someone (although I know the Me/Arya theory and that sound about right), but the Doctor himself is probably a hybrid of two great warrior races right? Timelord and Human (on his mother's side).

It's funny, I don't mind that line in the McGann movie about his mother so much anymore. It makes sense and doesn't really change anything about the character itself. It's mostly a mistake to drop a bomb like that in the very first (and at the time, seemingly last) Doctor Who story in years, especially because the rest of the story was pretty crap as well. But now that we have 10 years of Doctor Who tv after that, the line doesn't seem so offensive anymore. I can see Moffat going back to it.

8bit

Knows the Score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=41&v=1BDhKIXYw5Q

A few more quick shots during this Christmas promo.

River shocked in the TARDIS, Doctor looking toward someone, and I think that's Matt Lucas as the guest star in the beginning?

I'd love to check out the little rural comedies. The cozy little quaint villages where people are half mad or secretly disgusting.

You should look out for the League of Gentlemen if you've not seen that.

Chariot

I haven't followed the hybrid theories at all, so this is probably something already mentioned by someone (although I know the Me/Arya theory and that sound about right), but the Doctor himself is probably a hybrid of two great warrior races right? Timelord and Human (on his mother's side).

It's funny, I don't mind that line in the McGann movie about his mother so much anymore. It makes sense and doesn't really change anything about the character itself. It's mostly a mistake to drop a bomb like that in the very first (and at the time, seemingly last) Doctor Who story in years, especially because the rest of the story was pretty crap as well. But now that we have 10 years of Doctor Who tv after that, the line doesn't seem so offensive anymore. I can see Moffat going back to it.
I don't know, I rather have the Doctor pure blooded, no matter ho racist I sound. I want him to be different on his own merit, being genetically different weakens that a lot.

hamchan

Why is British tv so awesome at Christmas? Here in Australia they just show some random Christmas movie and call it a day. But on the BBC it seems they go all out with high quality productions like Sherlock, Luther and Doctor Who.

Chariot

Why is British tv so awesome at Christmas? Here in Australia they just show some random Christmas movie and call it a day. But on the BBC it seems they go all out with high quality productions like Sherlock, Luther and Doctor Who.
Hey, be glad. In Germany we have an old episode of Loriot and then a lot of random american christmas movies.

mclem

British Christmas as a whole is an interesting beast that I'm not aware of any other country doing quite the same way, and the TV's a part of that; there's just a general sense that the country will mostly shut down for a week or so (places will be open, but many, many people will take several days off work to spend them with their family for it; even those who work will probably do reduced hours).

From a TV standpoint, I've seen part of it suggested that the licence fee is a component of this; there's not really a huge reason to advertise on Christmas Day itself, with much more interest in advertising before the day to get people into shops, and after the day to get people into shops for the new year sales, but on the day itself, there's much less need to advertise. You'll notice that with ITV, the BBC's biggest commercial rival; much of their big Christmas programming goes out a week or so beforehand where the advertising slots are by far the most lucrative, and other than the soaps and usually one flagship drama to show some effort (Downton of late, but that's ending now) you really won't see all that much effort from them on the day itself. It tends to be the case that BBC ratings pretty much dominate the whole day with a small blip when Corrie is screened.

One of my brothers-in-law is an American, and was somewhat stunned at the difference in how we spend Christmas to what he is used to.

(I should add that this approach to Christmas is actually pretty secular; it's embraced by a lot of people, not simply people who follow the appropriate religions)

An interesting point of reference here is probably Christmas Logs, a venture to catalogue the broadcasting on all channels on each Christmas since 1970. It's pretty comprehensive, and really gets a feel as a time capsule for both the era and the programming. TV Cream is also hosting their '100 clips of Christmas' advent calendar at the moment to really whet the nostalgia and give you a feeling of the whole mentality around the time of year.

Here's last year's calendar.

It's just... cosy. So very very cosy.

Edit: Ye gods, I'd forgotten that; for a long time ITV would broadcast a circus on Christmas Day! That's just delightful. Of course, from that era, there's a few... other names from the 70's that people these days might be less enthused about hearing. (Back when Christmas Logs was written, those stories hadn't broken; Rolf Harris was just a consummate professional entertainer)

Edit2: God, just look at this:

Christmas Night with the Stars followed, and the BBC had cajoled an impressive army of celebrities into appearing. Along with host Cilla Black, viewers could enjoy special turns from Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Jerry Lewis, Mary Hopkin and Clodagh Rodgers. Specially-recorded sketches involved Stanley Baxter, Dick Emery and Terry Scott besides new scenes with the cast of Dad’s Army and also Bachelor Father, an Ian Carmichael family-based sitcom which had debuted on BBC1 that autumn. But the best was still to come, with the second annualMorecambe and Wise Christmas Show at 8.15pm. Joining Eric’n’Ern were Peter Cushing, Edward Woodward and Eric Porter. For some reason this particular edition hasn’t been remembered as well or repeated as often as the pair’s other BBC Christmas shows. It was still, thanks to Eddie Braben’s script, great fun.

bengraven

I miss the holiday specials the US would do at Christmas, Halloween, even Thanksgiving, Easter...

Twenty or so years of it, from the 60s to the 80s and now when they do one it's just some upgraded special for an already established kid's show. Used to be the most exciting thing about a new holiday when I was a kid.

You should look out for the League of Gentlemen if you've not seen that.

I think I may! Streaming on Hulu, so that's perfect.

obin_gam

EW just found an easteregg in Jessica Jones :) I completely missed it when I watched
jessica-jones-07.jpg

Quick

Banned
Didn't really think about it on while watching the episode. That's cool regardless of whether it was intentional or not.

There was also a Star Wars reference later that episode.

bengraven

I remember that article during the 50th when Matt Smith came up to Moffat in a sort of almost pitable way. Said "me and David have been talking and it would be a lot of fun to do a full series with like me doing 2, he does 2, then we do a few more as a team up" and Moffat was like "that would be fun! We won't, though..." and Matt walked away sad.

Edit:

“They got on like a couple of old women. They just say in the corner and gossiped the entire time, […] By the end of it, Matt told me that he’d worked out this plan that they’d both continue in Doctor Who: do five individual episodes each and three together – would that be ok? It was a nice plan. I think if I’d said yes they’d have gone for it.”

what's the easter egg? David Tennant?

Loook at the captions.

Chariot

what's the easter egg? David Tennant?
What "ten" isn't he anymore he was before, besides the age?
I remember that article during the 50th when Matt Smith came up to Moffat in a sort of almost pitable way. Said "me and David have been talking and it would be a lot of fun to do a full series with like me doing 2, he does 2, then we do a few more as a team up" and Moffat was like "that would be fun! We won't, though..." and Matt walked away sad.
:(

Joqu

Edit:

“They got on like a couple of old women. They just say in the corner and gossiped the entire time, […] By the end of it, Matt told me that he’d worked out this plan that they’d both continue in Doctor Who: do five individual episodes each and three together – would that be ok? It was a nice plan. I think if I’d said yes they’d have gone for it.”

Oh jeez. I get why it didn't happen and all but that sounds like it would've been wonderful, I didn't need to know that! :(

FloatOn

I decided to get caught up last night and watched "last christmas" and "the magicians apprentice"

still not feeling Capaldi

tell me it gets better

Symphonia

Banned
Guys, we've already seen the hybrid. She's back at Christmas. And didn't the Doctor say he had a part to play in it's creation. He did, by letting Amy and Rory in. The hybrid is River. Two master races come together - part human, part Time Lord.

I decided to get caught up last night and watched "last christmas" and "the magicians apprentice"

still not feeling Capaldi

tell me it gets better

It gets better.

I didn't care for Capaldi's first series at all. I basically just went along with it because my wife was such a fan.

It takes a long time for The 12th Doctor and Clara to find the right chemistry. Once they do, it's great. Until then, it just feels like you're watching people who don't care for each other forced to interact because someone told them to.

Quick

Banned
Guys, we've already seen the hybrid. She's back at Christmas. And didn't the Doctor say he had a part to play in it's creation. He did, by letting Amy and Rory in. The hybrid is River. Two master races come together - part human, part Time Lord.

Human...on her mother's side?

ddQbi.gif

Okay, also on her father's.

Pulling out old questionable plot points from the TV Moive as the basis for the finale would be hilarious and I wouldnt mind at all.

But I fully expect the Hybrid to be Me and not the Doctor.

Can someone explain the "Hybird is Me" theory?

How could she be part time lord?

Wouldn't she be part whatever that race was that they scared off in that viking episode?

Top Bottom