• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

obin_gam

Let me theorize: He's going to
hand kid Davros the Extermination laser thingie, but he will have some weird plan with it that ages later saves them during what otherwise would have happened in this episode. I'm going with "I gave you the laser and you handed me back my screwdriver instead, ha!" and thus, while he was causing the creation of Daleks in Davros mind, he was also now able to screwdrive a solution for the Missy/Clara killing from the Davros room, since saving his friends is more important than undo his enemies. Done.

Also, I really liked this episode :)

Edit oh god new page
That sounds timey wimey enough that I'll buy it! :D

Chariot

Ah, watched the episode. I liked it very much, but I do enjoy most of Moffat's work so I might be odd from the start. Missy alone could carry the whole show, I hope Clara leaves and we get her as a companion for the season, she is amazing in her calm madness.

The story is also interesting. This is the "would you kill Hitler to not have WW2 and all it's atrocities happen"-problem and I liked it. I assume the Doctor travels back in time to Davros and saves him from the hands to show him that compassion is not a weakness it's what the Doctor is. And Davros will probably reveal that the Daleks weren't on killmode or something, it was just a show to push the Doctor to make or reaffirm a point and then Davros dies in peace.

The rights to the Daleks are with the Terry Nation estate (the guy who wrote the first story with them), and apparently (although some people have later denied this) the BBC has to use the Daleks at least once every series or the rights will revert back to them, after which the BBC would have to negotiate for them again (which costs money, obviously).

Also, Moffat at one point admitted that the Daleks were, at this point, more famous of being beaten every year than for being dangerous and were overused, and that he would probably need to give them a rest. This was turned into a stupid series of headlines about how Moffat was supposedly planning to get rid of the Daleks forever, and a whole stupid controversy followed. It was all a bit of nonsense to be honest. But I can imagine that having lead to an extra push to just keep using the Daleks.

I agree with you that both of them are overused at this point though, and Dalek/Cyberman stories are never my favorite because there's actually not a whole lot you can do with them after so many stories. This story seems promising though. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out next week, but like I said earlier, this is my favorite use of Davros since Genesis so far - they're finally giving him something new and substantial to do with the character (again, this is just based on the first half of the story, so don't kill me if it all falls apart next week).

Also Missy and Clara standing on the hills outside of the Skaro city with a first-generation Dalek approaching them gave me goosebumps. I know it's fanwank, but fuck it, I love it.

Best lines:

- "Three possible locations of Atlantis" (I love references to classic plotholes)
- "Unlimited rice pudding!"

EDIT:

When Davros is playing recordings of all those classic Doctors - rice pudding comes from one of the McCoy scenes (you can also see a snippet of the scene on one of those screens). It's one of his more famous moments.

It's well known Nation was somehow able to retain copyright over the Daleks when the design was created, instead of it being signed away to the BBC (and if you didn't know the Beeb is notorious for forcing content creators to sign and waive their rights away). This maintains to this day that the Nation Estate maintains control over the use of the Dalek IP.

The best series opener since Eleventh Hour, and aside from that the most enjoyable Doctor Who episode in years. Not quite sure what some of you want from this show anymore. Might be time to move on.

You know the Doctor isn't about to die because it's called "Doctor Who". It's not like they'll play that for some series wide arc like 6, it'll be resolved by end of Witch's Familiar.

That is all subjective. I found the dialogue to be tripe, some large plot holes/questions, everything after the opening credits to be quite poor and it to be massively fan-wank.

It is a good idea in principle, but it was badly done in my opinion. Lots of padding in that episode and that doesn't fill me with confidence.

The idea is pretty much the same as the awful 'Lets kill Hitler' concept which Moffat did badly too. He's clearly been thinking about that Tom Baker line for decades but so far (to my tastes) he has done both attempts quite poorly.

I'd like Moffat to create some monsters that can become as classic as The Cybermen/Sontarans etc. His monsters are good but they are really limited (Angels, Silence etc). That is why he has to bugger around with established events/history so much. He can't really take the show forward with his ideas.

Chariot

Why are you already talking about plotholes? The story isn't even finished yet. Things could be explained still. Everything is possible with multiple time travellers.

Why are you already talking about plotholes? The story isn't even finished yet. Things could be explained still. Everything is possible with multiple time travellers.

This is Moffat. Based on several years of his showrunning I can confidently say that:

a) they won't be addressed and will be massive gaps in logic.
b) they'll be addressed years later and will be a massive let down after he gives an interview saying things will be answered.
c) DEUS EX MACHINA

His writing jumps from place to place and rarely do we get answers or resolutions. He is a 'big moment' writer and not as thoughtful as he should be about the smaller details.

The doctor with the tank etc felt like him just going 'fuck it, I'm going to be dea tomorrow, may as well have some fun'. He was super hyper too, like he was trying to ignore what was coming and over compensating to block it out. Seemed fine to me.

Yeah.

I loved the tank and guitar entrance, and the "Pretty Woman" when he noticed them. Plus the medieval guy's facial reactions.

Also the timing was hilarious with Missy talking about tiny anachronisms and the look on her face as she repeats the word after hearing the guitar. It was glorious LOL.

Awesome.

This is Moffat. Based on several years of his showrunning I can confidently say that:

a) they won't be addressed and will be massive gaps in logic.
b) they'll be addressed years later and will be a massive let down after he gives an interview saying things will be answered.
c) DEUS EX MACHINA

His writing jumps from place to place and rarely do we get answers or resolutions. He is a 'big moment' writer and not as thoughtful as he should be about the smaller details.
Like what, like Missy and Davros surviving? RTD gave equally contrived examples as to how that was possible.

I would much rather Missy make a meta comment about how death is for "other people" then another God awful scene with potions, bleach blonde hair and CHIPS CHEESE CHICKEN MMMM

Like what, like Missy and Davros surviving? RTD gave equally contrived examples as to how that was possible.

I would much rather Missy make a meta comment about how death is for "other people" then another God awful scene with potions, bleach blonde hair and CHIPS CHEESE CHICKEN MMMM

Davros and missy surviving aren't plot holes, they are an established part of the lore. A running joke. 'I thought you died...,' 'I escaped' yada yada yada. Fine with that.

TrueBlue

I thought the episode was absolutely abysmal. I'm honestly stunned that they're wheeling out the Daleks as the lead villains yet again. Daleks are no longer scary or interesting or even impactful as a plot device. As soon as I see those flucking plungers and hear that overused metallic death threat, I inwardly groan.

I really disliked Missy last season, so I'm also disappointed that she's returned (and has a larger role based on reports?). I don't found her character funny or clever, but instead annoying and cheesy. Even John Simm was better in the role of Master, and I wasn't particularly keen on his interpretation.

The opening with the hands and a young Davros was interesting conceptually and visually, but the next scenes with snake man looking for the Doctor were not only completely unnecessary but also tacky as all hell (especially snake man moving around Mos Eisley Cantina on a segway).

What I want to see is each season being completely self-contained. No references to decades old characters like Davros or random shit like UNIT. We are on SEASON 9 of the new Doctor Who - do you seriously expect the viewers to remember everything that has occurred over the last 120 episodes (not to mention the prior 40 years' worth of stories)?! We're not all superfans who rewatch the series multiple times. They can have an overarching plot as they have in the past (relegated to a single season!), but I'd like to see a return to monster-of-the-week plots. And for God's sake, bring in some new writers to inject some creativity into the show and fire that hasbeen Moffat.

Some of these complaints are weird. Why on earth wouldn't they use UNIT and Davros again - they're established characters who have been around for years. Even Classic Who reused them. Your hope of each season being completely self contained seems really unrealistic considering the history of the show.

I'm also confused as to why you want a return to monster-of-the-week. I mean, did it ever leave? Sure it may not be as prevalent as before, but it still remains an integral part of the show.

Ophelion

Just watched it. Thought it was alright. I felt strangely anxious watching it. Kept checking the runtime to see how much longer it was because I could see it getting really good and was so scared of hearing that ol' stinger music like in the serial days.

Honestly, yeah, that's what this reminded me of was a single episode of Classic Who. Maybe from one of the less inspired serials, but there you go.

I think Moffat is just playing with fans' expectations with the whole potential death of the Doctor story thread. He's been doing that a lot lately.

The guitar on a tank scene seems like something whipped up specifically to put into the trailers for the season and serves no real purpose other than that. It was fun in a way, I guess, but ultimately irrelevant.

"Hand Mines" were kind of surreal, like a nightmare based on a child's misunderstanding of what a grown up had said.

A man made of snakes is a cool idea, but feels almost too fantasy to me. I wonder if they will get around to explaining who he is and what his deal is at all or if he's just a dude made of snakes.

Always nice to see Missy, despite the body count that entails.

Visible building on an invisible planet looks like a space station. Good gag. Liked that.

Do strongly agree with what someone said about it feeling like a series of vignettes rather than a cohesive story. Maybe the second half will pull it together.

Bluth54

I though the opener was a decent episode and I enjoyed it. Not the greatest Who of all time but not the worst.

The whole the Doctor is going to die thing that Stephen Moffat loves to do is starting to get a little old though.

A man made of snakes is a cool idea, but feels almost too fantasy to me. I wonder if they will get around to explaining who he is and what his deal is at all or if he's just a dude made of snakes.

I doubt you will get much more information on Colony Sarff, His deal is basically a pretty dangerous bounty hunter who Davros has employed to find the doctor.

Which makes no fucking sense btw, Since Bors is a Human Dalek and been with the Doctor for at least the 3 weeks he was partying in 12th century Essex.

Which is the biggest plot hole of the episode. No one can find the Doctor, Not Missy or Davros but apparently some Daleks can and have just been following him about for 3 weeks waiting to steal his Tardis.

My only complaint about the episode was Colony Sarff felt like a combination of Professor Quirrell and Voldermort and kept talking about Davros Dark Lord of the Sith wizarding world Daleks

Which makes no fucking sense btw, Since Bors is a Human Dalek and been with the Doctor for at least the 3 weeks he was partying in 12th century Essex.

Which is the biggest plot hole of the episode. No one can find the Doctor, Not Missy or Davros but apparently some Daleks can and have just been following him about for 3 weeks waiting to steal his Tardis.

Duh, time travel. The Daleks discover his whenabouts and travel earlier to infiltrate.

MrBadger

I though the opener was a decent episode and I enjoyed it. Not the greatest Who of all time but not the worst.

The whole the Doctor is going to die thing that Stephen Moffat loves to do is starting to get a little old though.

The only time the whole "Doctor's death" thing ever has any weight is when we know there's a regeneration imminent. Better to leave us wondering how this Doctor's going to end his run than how the writers are going to weasel out of killing him off

Boem

I doubt you will get much more information on Colony Sarff, His deal is basically a pretty dangerous bounty hunter who Davros has employed to find the doctor.

My only complaint about the episode was Colony Sarff felt like a combination of Professor Quirrell and Voldermort and kept talking about Davros Dark Lord of the Sith wizarding world Daleks

Bors wasn't a human Dalek until after Colony Sarff arrived and Bors got bitten by that snake. He was just a dude before that. Sarff follows Missy and Clara to the Doctor: finds the Doctor - beams him up to his ship right away and creates a Human Dalek to find his Tardis/clean up after him.

No plot hole there, although I guess they didn't explicitly say what happened when Bors got bitten. But that was the point of that scene - otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

Moosichu

But bors probably got converted by colony sarff.

So a guy made of snakes is carrying Dalek Nanobots and injecting them into Bors via the snake bite?

Not buying it sorry. It's a leap in logic to assume that a conglomerate species like Colony Sarff can infect people with Dalek robots.

And of course The Doctor never calls Missy on her Galifrey bullshit or asks where it really is...

And if I'm not much mistaken, return of some RTD era music when Skaro gets revealed? When the Dalek's get revealed in Stolen Earth and Jack's all like "we're done for".

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So a guy made of snakes is carrying Dalek Nanobots and injecting them into Bors via the snake bite?

Not buying it sorry. It's a leap in logic to assume that a conglomerate species like Colony Sarff can infect people with Dalek robots.

The idea that Sarff could make a Dalek puppet is plausible to me since he is a servant of Davros.. Besides that bite there is also a POV shot of someone watching Bors find the TARDIS. i have a feeling the scene is going to be revisited and things will make more sense then.

Boem

I think Colony Sarff is unique, and beyond that collection of snakes there's no greater species like him. In the Classic Series Davros was all about creating his own guards/monsters through genetic experiments. Previous episodes have shown you can get 'infected' by Dalek Nanobots to become a Human Dalek (I'll be honest, I always thought that idea was a bit daft - especially the eyestalk in the forehead, but oh well), so it wouldn't be a giant leap for someone like Davros to allow his personal guard to infect people like that through their snake venom.

Of course, in the end it's what you make of it and like a lot of Doctor Who it's more about the ideas, not about creating tightly packed and completely explained scifi. But I definitely took that scene as meaning Bors got converted then and there. Just before the story moves to Missy and Clara finding out where the Doctor is the advice Sarff gets is 'if you want to find the Doctor, you have to find his friends', and he arrives just after Missy and Clara. Bors being a Dalek for the entire three weeks and during the prologue just doesn't make sense, but Bors being converted by Sarff does, which obviously means he followed that advice. I guess all that's missing is a line of someone explicitly saying 'omg, Bors just got infected by that snake.', but I don't think the scene needed it. But I think the sequence of 'Bors is the only person to gets hurt by one of the snakes, and moments later we see he's converted' is explanation enough.

Of course, there's a chance we'll find out in the next episode that Davros and the Daleks aren't working together (it's happened before), and that the Daleks were keeping an eye on the Doctor, perhaps because they knew Davros was looking for him and they didn't know where Davros was. In that case Bors wouldn't have turned because of Sarff, and the Daleks really did find the Doctor before Sarff did. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible. Either way, I don't see a plothole there.

MrBadger

It's not that implausible that a guy who was hired by the creator of the Daleks has access to some of their tech.

Also I'm just now realising how often Moffat uses nanomachines in his Doctor Who writing

Dryk

Nanomachines, Doctor

We need a picture of Armstrong with a dalek puppet eyestalk coming out of his head

And of course The Doctor never calls Missy on her Galifrey bullshit or asks where it really is...

And if I'm not much mistaken, return of some RTD era music when Skaro gets revealed? When the Dalek's get revealed in Stolen Earth and Jack's all like "we're done for".

It is technically RTD era music, but it's been in Moffat's era before... there's a bit of that cue in Asylum and a small 'new' version of it in Victory.

I have to say, though, that was a weird RTD-era throwback in many ways. I'm not complaining, but tonally it felt a lot more like his era (Clara felt more like a real person than ever, which I always think has been Moffat-Who's struggle), and then there was just a lot of STUFF from his era - the Sec-ish Black Dalek, A Judoon, the same lady in the Shadow Proclamation from The Stolen Earth, Julian Bleach back as Davros, etc etc.

On that note -- bit sad they didn't give him a credit, given there was an Ood and a Judoon -- he got a credit in The Doctor's Wife and The Pandorica Opens for "[creature] Originally Created by"... I guess that's the sort of thing that isn't necessary so sometimes slips through the cracks.

Great episode, anyway! Very curious if they stick the landing...

ALSO - had to laugh at multiple eras of Dalek being represented but Moffat's own being conspicuously absent. They've really (rightly) decided those were shit, haven't they?!

Anyone else think Davros's explanation of the Dalek's murder-lust is the creepiest they've been in years?

The moment where Clara's left in the room with the Daleks while Davros makes the Doctor watch was excellent. It made the Daleks feel more...feral somehow. I always think the presence of Davros makes the Daleks seem less intelligent in a good way. They just feel like his mindless killing robots.

The moment where Clara's left in the room with the Daleks while Davros makes the Doctor watch was excellent. It made the Daleks feel more...feral somehow. I always think the presence of Davros makes the Daleks seem less intelligent in a good way. They just feel like his mindless killing robots.

This is why RTD didn't like Davros, and made him their slave/pet in his Davros story -- because he's always felt his presence weakens the Daleks. I think he's right. Like, I'm hoping next week it's a similar situation, where they're keeping Davros around because he created them and because he's a useful intelligent asset, but they're not at his whim. I got that impression from the "I created them, I do not control them," line, but then in the preview for next week there's a Dalek screaming Praise Davros, so I hope it doesn't go down that route.

Ratings are grim. Weirdly, in their continual frenzied search for impartiality, BBC News is shitting on the show and saying millions have "deserted" the series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519

It doesn't make any sense. That's not how Daleks work. They're not freaking Cybermen (and even then, the upgrade process is a complex thing, not a snakebite).

If this was Moffat's plan, it just shows yet again the complete lack of interest he has with actually engaging with the Daleks or what they represent on any level.

Chariot

This is why RTD didn't like Davros, and made him their slave/pet in his Davros story -- because he's always felt his presence weakens the Daleks. I think he's right. Like, I'm hoping next week it's a similar situation, where they're keeping Davros around because he created them and because he's a useful intelligent asset, but they're not at his whim. I got that impression from the "I created them, I do not control them," line, but then in the preview for next week there's a Dalek screaming Praise Davros, so I hope it doesn't go down that route.

Ratings are grim. Weirdly, in their continual frenzied search for impartiality, BBC News is shitting on the show and saying millions have "deserted" the series: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34307519
Maybe they celebrate the idea of Davros rather than the person himself.

Bluth54

Doesn't Doctor Who typically get a few million more views via iplayer in the UK when it's all said and done? If you combine the iplayer views and the late DVR viewers I doubt the ratings will have dropped all that much, if at all, but of course those ratings wont be in for some time.

MrBadger

The only other times i can remember nanotechnology being relevant is with the Dalek puppets and that medical ship from Empty Child.

I believe Missy was doing it last season, using nanobot rainclouds to turn corpses into Cybermen. And while it's not a Moffat story, Nightmare in Silver had the same concept

TheJoRu

It's a disappointing figure for a Who-premiere, but it's only overnight figures, a figure which importance is diminishing more and more. It's also very unfair to compare it to Capaldi's first episode, which obviously draws a higher viewership than a premiere without any new main cast.

The relevant stat for Doctor Who viewership is the total overnight+timeshift+iPlayer-figure. I have feeling that both timeshift and iPlayer-figures will be very high, wouldn't be surprised if it is over 2,5 million.

Doesn't Doctor Who typically get a few million more views via iplayer in the UK when it's all said and done? If you combine the iplayer views and the late DVR viewers I doubt the ratings will have dropped all that much, if at all, but of course those ratings wont be in for some time.

I watched it on DVR about 4 hours late. The time slot just wasn't "sociable" for me.

Boem

I haven't watched the preview for next week, but that was a theme in the old show as well. Usually Davros was used as someone the Daleks could use because of his intelligence, but because he's not a Dalek himself the Daleks will always try and kill him in the end - which is something Davros seems rather proud of himself, in his own demented way.

I was talking with my girlfriend about the episode from last night, because I had to explain quite some things. She has seen a couple of random Tennant and Smith episodes, but only started following the series properly with Capaldi, and didn't need much of an explanation during that entire first season. From what I remember, all I had to explain was the basic premise of the Doctor (regeneration, what the Tardis is, what the deal with Gallifrey is), who the Daleks are (arch-enemies, evil nazi-monsters in tanks from outer space), who the Cybermen are (aliens who upgraded themselves and lost all emotion), and who the Master is (Moriarty). All very easy explanations, and she could easily follow all of it. The most difficult thing to get her head around was the Paternoster gang (I just settled on 'alien detectives living in Victorian London who are friends of the Doctor - I don't think my history lesson on Sontarans and Silurians stuck), but that didn't matter too much for the story in the end.

This story was very different though. I watched it with her and two friends who were also pretty heavily into the show (we all have seen quite some classic Who at this point), and I could tell a lot in this story didn't make as much of an impact on her, and it was hard for her to pay attention because she figured almost everything was a reference to something from the past. She could only enjoy the early Unit/Middle Ages-scenes, because she felt left out by all the rest of it. Pretty interesting, and watching this show with her always makes it obvious to me how difficult it is to write something like this for both fans and newcomers. Before I talked to her about it I saw it as an episode that, while steeped in history, would be easy enough to understand for newcomers because all the important characters and events are explained, but apparently not. I don't mean to say that they should stop doing these overly fanwanky episodes, but it might not be in the best interest of the show to do it at the very start of a season?

I have to say that she's rewatching it now, after I explained a bit more about what was actually going on and showing her a couple of clips from Genesis, and she's enjoying it a lot more now. But I don't think most of the casual fans would do that. She's a keeper for actually putting effort into liking this crazy thing I like though, even though it means I have to watch British Bake Off every week. She actually got the joke about the three versions of Atlantis because I mentioned that once, so that makes it all worth it.

One day I'll have my own version of wifeinspace.com with her. A man can dream.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Weird report indeed.

It was the BBC's highest rated programme of the day, and 2nd highest across all channels. Overnights are down across the board.

You'd think you'd include those facts.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I believe Missy was doing it last season, using nanobot rainclouds to turn corpses into Cybermen. And while it's not a Moffat story, Nightmare in Silver had the same concept

Yea you are right lol. Forgot about the Cybermen thing last season. Still though, nano isnt overly used imo. Maybe because when nanotech shows up in the show its a tool and not a plot point itself.

As for things that are overused i have to agree that the Doctor dying is used way too much. Nice to see that the story changed things up where its not the Doctor dying but that he has succumb to shame and guilt.

Maybe the whole "Davros remembers" thing is meant to mean that he now remembers the Doctor saving him as a young boy despite knowing what it'd mean. Perhaps his last act before he dies is to extend that same courtesy to the Doctor and his companions... but then again I have no idea why he'd bother bringing them to Skaro in the first place if that was true.

Chariot

The doctors must now something, he called Missy after all, so that means he needed her around for some reason. Maybe even just to bring Clara there. But why. I am fairly sure the Doctor wanted to be found, or he just would've vanished for three weeks. No one would've panicked, since "that's what he does".

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I like the idea that the daleks and Davros are doing different things, and that the human Dalek was there alongside the doctor all along. That also fits with the doctor pleading for Davros to call off the daleks and spare Clara, and Davros talking about the daleks as family but him not controlling them.

Having the daleks appear to be alongside Davros could just be a misdirect which you accept easily because you expect it.

Top Bottom