• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Decided to start watching Doctor Who (on season 1 of the 2005 start point). Season 1 effects are lolbad but yet I'm easily able to look past it which is crazy considering how I can't for some shows. Despite the lame effects I find the show pretty gripping in it's own way. Maybe it's because I love sci-fi I dunno but I'm thoroughly entertained.

With that stated oh man Billie Piper is a cutie.

Ophelion

This last episode got me thinking about Clara as a character...such as she is.

Clara's biggest problem as a person (and maybe also as a character) is that pretty much her entire adult life has revolved around travel in the TARDIS. Keeping her own life and having the doctor show up to whisk her away is, it turns out, more damaging to her ability to separate regular life from TARDIS travel than just living the TARDIS lifestyle 24/7 and then going home. Rose and Donna treated TARDIS life like an extended backpacking trip or more generally an extended holiday respectively. Return to regular life was a distinct shift back to the normal. Rose eventually decided to leave that mundane life behind, but that was a conscious choice.

Clara though? Clara's normal life is elevated to the Doctor's level. She's just being herself and then, boom swimming with the fish people. That's the whole problem she had with Danny and why it never would've worked out even if he hadn't become tremendously dead. I don't think Clara sees a divide between her mundane earth life and her time spent with the Doctor. They're integrated in a way that is almost certainly going to be problematic for her because...well, because it's insane. She's become an unstable entity.

A meek, bookish kinda sorta nanny has become a motorcycle driving daredevil who somehow manages to juggle being a schoolteacher with part-timing as a go-to consultant of a government agency meant to check intergalactic threats. And that's before the blue box shows up and she takes off for a few seconds that might be a whole day for her. Or a week. Or a couple of months. And then she steps back out and pretends like all those profound things she just experienced never happened. Her adventures with the Doctor have leaked through her whole life. There's nothing about how she lives that is not altered by his presence. Every mundane thing about her from her parents to her best friend (prior to the Doctor) to her boyfriend are all dead.

We've all just come to accept this because it's Doctor Who and it's Clara and whatever that's just how they are. But...I don't think Clara is Ok. I also don't think the Doctor is at all equipped to understand how or why she is not Ok. At this point? I question how equipped Clara is to understand it either.

Chariot

Man that would be an end for her. For one reason or the other is she left by the Doctor apparently forever and as he checks in on her after five years in her time he sees that she commited suicide after two years, because The Doctor was her life. This could lead to an internal crisis of the Doctor regarding his presence in other people's life. We had similiar stories where the Doctor left people for a long time, but they all waited and waited. Clara probably couldn't for an extended period.

hamchan

Basically travelling with the Doctor ruins another companion's life.

Maybe he'll learn and bring the Master as a companion, someone who can actually handle this sort of lifestyle.

Chariot

Maybe he'll learn and bring the Master as a companion, someone who can actually handle this sort of lifestyle.
I'd like that a companion with high expertise and a sharp tongue that could at any time betray you. A looney companion Master could make a good contrast to the rather grim current Doctor.

Boem

This last episode got me thinking about Clara as a character...such as she is.

Clara's biggest problem as a person (and maybe also as a character) is that pretty much her entire adult life has revolved around travel in the TARDIS. Keeping her own life and having the doctor show up to whisk her away is, it turns out, more damaging to her ability to separate regular life from TARDIS travel than just living the TARDIS lifestyle 24/7 and then going home. Rose and Donna treated TARDIS life like an extended backpacking trip or more generally an extended holiday respectively. Return to regular life was a distinct shift back to the normal. Rose eventually decided to leave that mundane life behind, but that was a conscious choice.

Clara though? Clara's normal life is elevated to the Doctor's level. She's just being herself and then, boom swimming with the fish people. That's the whole problem she had with Danny and why it never would've worked out even if he hadn't become tremendously dead. I don't think Clara sees a divide between her mundane earth life and her time spent with the Doctor. They're integrated in a way that is almost certainly going to be problematic for her because...well, because it's insane. She's become an unstable entity.

A meek, bookish kinda sorta nanny has become a motorcycle driving daredevil who somehow manages to juggle being a schoolteacher with part-timing as a go-to consultant of a government agency meant to check intergalactic threats. And that's before the blue box shows up and she takes off for a few seconds that might be a whole day for her. Or a week. Or a couple of months. And then she steps back out and pretends like all those profound things she just experienced never happened. Her adventures with the Doctor have leaked through her whole life. There's nothing about how she lives that is not altered by his presence. Every mundane thing about her from her parents to her best friend (prior to the Doctor) to her boyfriend are all dead.

We've all just come to accept this because it's Doctor Who and it's Clara and whatever that's just how they are. But...I don't think Clara is Ok. I also don't think the Doctor is at all equipped to understand how or why she is not Ok. At this point? I question how equipped Clara is to understand it either.

Yeah, I think that's where they're going with her story too. If you're willing to accept a pretty dark analogy: see travelling in the Tardis as a drug addiction. Her normal life is, on the surface, pretty well figured out in series 8. She has a job that she's good at, and a relationship with a guy she truly cares about. Then there's her secret, second, more important (to her) life - the exciting, prime example of escapism. She can't share this life with others because she's scared they'll label her as insane, which would cause the life she build for herself to crumble to pieces. It works for a while, before her life is settled and has less responsibilities - but when she's starting her first real relationship and her boyfriend knows that she's keeping something secret and just wants her to be truthful (a reasonable request), she's pushed to the limit, because either he'll accept it, or it'll cause her to lose everything. The lies keep building, the drug/timetravel adventures get more extreme, and she starts losing her grip on reality more and more. And then, finally, when she's finally getting ready to tell the truth, her boyfriend dies. She waited too long.

So where does that leave her now? I think it's going to be a wildly self-destructive ride while she completely gives in to the escapist fantasy, because in her reality the most important person for whom to keep up the facade is gone. It'll either end in her completely self-destructing, or in the Doctor realizing what's happening to her and choosing to give her her life back by leaving her, because he knows he's bad for her.

Man, Clara's arc in series 8 was good.

Edit: Thinking about it like this, I really don't want Clara to die. She's suffered quite a lot for the Doctor. She deserves a happy ending.

Ophelion

Yeah, I think that's where they're going with her story too. If you're willing to accept a pretty dark analogy: see travelling in the Tardis as a drug addiction. Her normal life is, on the surface, pretty well figured out in series 8. She has a job that she's good at, and a relationship with a guy she truly cares about. Then there's her secret, second, more important (to her) life - the exciting, prime example of escapism. She can't share this life with others because she's scared they'll label her as insane, which would cause the life she build for herself to crumble to pieces. It works for a while, before her life is settled and has less responsibilities - but when she's starting her first real relationship and her boyfriend knows that she's keeping something secret and just wants her to be truthful (a reasonable request), she's pushed to the limit, because either he'll accept it, or it'll cause her to lose everything. The lies keep building, the drug/timetravel adventures get more extreme, and she starts losing her grip on reality more and more. And then, finally, when she's finally getting ready to tell the truth, her boyfriend dies. She waited too long.

So where does that leave her now? I think it's going to be a wildly self-destructive ride while she completely gives in to the escapist fantasy, because in her reality the most important person for whom to keep up the facade is gone. It'll either end in her completely self-destructing, or in the Doctor realizing what's happening to her and choosing to give her her life back by leaving her, because he knows he's bad for her.

Man, Clara's arc in series 8 was good.

Edit: Thinking about it like this, I really don't want Clara to die. She's suffered quite a lot for the Doctor. She deserves a happy ending.

If he does this though, he's essentially forcing Clara to go cold turkey. She would destabilize immediately because suddenly her life would not feel like her life anymore. That's the real danger of her integrated life.

And in a dark turn (that I would personally go with, but may not be something they're willing to explore what with this being a family show and all) if Missy were then to show up and go, "Hey, you. Puppy. You want back in the game? Because I can get you back in the game. You just have to come with me."

...I don't know that she wouldn't go. You know? I think she may have gone far enough down this road that she would be willing to be subjected to the whims of a madwoman (only slightly more hostile to her than traveling with the 12th doctor already is from her perspective I imagine) than to put it down. I straight up think she'd be more willing to go evil than to stop. That's where we're at.

Boem

If he does this though, he's essentially forcing Clara to go cold turkey. She would destabilize immediately because suddenly her life would not feel like her life anymore. That's the real danger of her integrated life.

And in a dark turn (that I would personally go with, but may not be something they're willing to explore what with this being a family show and all) if Missy were then to show up and go, "Hey, you. Puppy. You want back in the game? Because I can get you back in the game. You just have to come with me."

...I don't know that she wouldn't go. You know? I think she may have gone far enough down this road that she would be willing to be subjected to the whims of a madwoman (only slightly more hostile to her than traveling with the 12th doctor already is from her perspective I imagine) than to put it down. I straight up think she'd be more willing to go evil than to stop. That's where we're at.

Good points. That idea kind of fits into what I think is going to happen next week, based on the titles. If we take 'The Magician's Apprentice' to mean Clara in the previous episode - The Doctor was called a Magician by Bors both in the prequel and in the episode, and Clara was shown to work with Unit independently of the Doctor, and face Missy without him, and think like him - that would probably mean that 'The Witch's Familiar' means we'll see more of the Clara/Missy-team up next week. Perhaps she'll take more after Missy than we or the Doctor would expect (perhaps making a rather ruthless choice in regards to Davros/the Daleks in a dilemma like the Doctor faced last week and in Genesis). Could be the wake up call the Doctor needs to start realizing what's going on with her.

But now I'm running way ahead of myself of course, it's entirely possible they'll just have a set of happy adventures :p.

Ophelion

Good points. That idea kind of fits into what I think is going to happen next week, based on the titles. If we take 'The Magician's Apprentice' to mean Clara in the previous episode - The Doctor was called a Magician by Bors both in the prequel and in the episode, and Clara was shown to work with Unit independently of the Doctor, and face Missy without him, and think like him - that would probably mean that 'The Witch's Familiar' means we'll see more of the Clara/Missy-team up next week. Perhaps she'll take more after Missy than we or the Doctor would expect (perhaps making a rather ruthless choice in regards to Davros/the Daleks in a dilemma like the Doctor faced last week and in Genesis). Could be the wake up call the Doctor needs to start realizing what's going on with her.

But now I'm running way ahead of myself of course, it's entirely possible they'll just have a set of happy adventures :p.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I mean, yeah. Could do. Why not?

Another thing I'm considering: Does Missy not have a TARDIS of her own? You would think escaping Gallifrey she would've stolen one, but she's only been shown to use the cheap and nasty stuff so far. Though maybe that was just to escape getting repeatedly sniper-murdered in the moment. She might have a war TARDIS for all we know parked just around the corner from where she met Clara.

Boem

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Another thing I'm considering: Does Missy not have a TARDIS of her own? You would think escaping Gallifrey she would've stolen one, but she's only been shown to use the cheap and nasty stuff so far. Though maybe that was just to escape getting repeatedly sniper-murdered in the moment. She might have a war TARDIS for all we know parked just around the corner from where she met Clara.

I don't think we've seen the Master's Tardis in the modern series (haven't seen the Tennant episodes in a long time so I'm not completely sure), but he definitely had his own Tardis in the classic series. His worked better though, and was able to change its shape to blend in, like the Doctors Tardis would if it worked properly. Which means, if the Master didn't lose it in the Time War or anything, it should still be around and could be disguised as anything.

Ophelion

I don't think we've seen the Master's Tardis in the modern series (haven't seen the Tennant episodes in a long time so I'm not completely sure), but he definitely had his own Tardis in the classic series. His worked better though, and was able to change its shape to blend in, like the Doctors Tardis would if it worked properly. Which means, if the Master didn't lose it in the Time War or anything, it should still be around and could be disguised as anything.

In Last of the Timelords, he stole the 10th Doctor's Tardis to get back to earth.

And then he was just already on earth when he was half-resurrected with that shitty rez potion plotline in End of Time.

But then at the end of that story he got tossed back into the Time War along with the rest of the Time Lords, so presumably her being back now means she escaped the planet somehow and got back to earth in the present day. That's got to involve spacetime travel somehow. I doubt very much the Master has access to the exact same TARIDS she's been using since the classic days, but it seems like she'd need something.

Boem

In Last of the Timelords, he stole the 10th Doctor's Tardis to get back to earth.

And then he was just already on earth when he was half-resurrected with that shitty rez potion plotline in End of Time.

But then at the end of that story he got tossed back into the Time War along with the rest of the Time Lords, so presumably her being back now means she escaped the planet somehow and got back to earth in the present day. That's got to involve spacetime travel somehow. I doubt very much the Master has access to the exact same TARIDS she's been using since the classic days, but it seems like she'd need something.

Yeah I suppose. We'll see, I guess it'll be a case of her having a Tardis again when the plot needs it. Not knowing exactly how she travels or where she is inbetween adventures adds to her mystery I think.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I thought they implied (or outright stated) that St Paul's *was* her Tardis. Not that that makes a lick of sense, but neither did the Statue of Liberty being a Weeping Angel.

Kevin

As awesome as that would be, I'm sure the BBC would never allow it. To me it's obvious that they are only allowed to do so much with the storytelling and show in general.

I fully expect another regular companion with a small twist.

Ophelion

I thought they implied (or outright stated) that St Paul's *was* her Tardis. Not that that makes a lick of sense, but neither did the Statue of Liberty being a Weeping Angel.

I mean, it could have been. But that also could've just been more Time Lord temporal engineering dedicated to a preexisting place so that she could house her giant evil lair in a place she felt had ambiance. She does love to make an entrance. Missy does lots of Time Lord shite independent of a TARIDS it would seem.

Finalow

dis Moffat hate smfh
this opener was really good. so much much better than the one from the last season.

showing up while playing an electric guitar on a fucking tank? Yes. oh and that Pretty Woman scene, so good.

LSxB0tn.png

^ ''avoid interfering in history? Fuck that'' much better than the usual "oh no you shouldn't nono". also it makes some sort of sense considering he thinks he's going to die for some reason unknown.

sure, there are questions, but it was only part 1, wait until it actually ends before complaining about why or how.

Missy is great and everything about her in this episode was great. I'm not even mad anymore about the previous master being awful.

"fake tension" kind of sucks, sure, no way that they're dead but you still wonder what's going to happen. did they really teleport? Probably but you never know. what is he going to do with the kid besides not killing him? Etc.

Boem

"fake tension" kind of sucks, sure, no way that they're dead but you still wonder what's going to happen. did they really teleport? Probably but you never know. what is he going to do with the kid besides not killing him? Etc.

He's not going to kill him (if only because I can't imagine the BBC allowing showing a scene in which the Doctor kills a kid, even if it is Davros), but let's not forget that we don't know yet how Davros ended up disfigured and in a wheelchair. I'm sure there's an explanation in the audio plays/novels, but I'm also sure the series won't think twice about giving a different reason, and I do think that's where the story is going. This is after all the story of what made Davros who he is, and what role the Doctor played in that. Genesis of the Genesis of the Daleks, as others have called it.

Mind you, I don't think the BBC will allow the Doctor consciously choosing to cripple a kid as well, so either someone else will do it, or it'll happen by accident.

He's not going to kill him (if only because I can't imagine the BBC allowing showing a scene in which the Doctor kills a kid, even if it is Davros), but let's not forget that we don't know yet how Davros ended up disfigured and in a wheelchair. I'm sure there's an explanation in the audio plays/novels, but I'm also sure the series won't think twice about giving a different reason, and I do think that's where the story is going. This is after all the story of what made Davros who he is, and what role the Doctor played in that. Genesis of the Genesis of the Daleks, as others have called it.

Mind you, I don't think the BBC will allow the Doctor consciously choosing to cripple a kid as well, so either someone else will do it, or it'll happen by accident.

I'm going with "The Doctor kills the hand mines with a modified Dalek gun that when Davros tries to tinker with it cripples him"

Good weather and lack of casual interest in a now-established Doctor will do that.

Putting the show on in the fall season instead of spring what i feel has done it. Ratings are nearly half what they were with Tennant, but his episodes weren't trying to compete with X factor.

Mudcrab

''avoid interfering in history? Fuck that'' much better than the usual "oh no you shouldn't nono". also it makes some sort of sense considering he thinks he's going to die for some reason unknown.

He's been thinking he's going to die for some unknown reason for three series now.

But you're right I'm sure everything will turn out okay in the end and just this once no one will die.

Chariot

Then it would provide a interesting set-up and overarching plot for the season if the Doctor would kill actually kill him initially and then work the season through the ramifications.

St. Paul's being her TARDIS would be entirely plausible. It could be under UNIT guard but I imagine she would have asked for it back when she had control of all the planes in the sky.

I believe Dr. Chronotis had his TARDIS disguised as his college housing at Cambridge.

Or the apartment upstairs in The Lodger.

The Statue of Liberty being a Weeping Angel was a bit ridiculous.

-griffy-

Banned
St. Paul's being her TARDIS would be entirely plausible. It could be under UNIT guard but I imagine she would have asked for it back when she had control of all the planes in the sky.

I believe Dr. Chronotis had his TARDIS disguised as his college housing at Cambridge.

Or the apartment upstairs in The Lodger.

I don't know why, but for some reason I was under the impression that St. Paul's Cathedral wasn't her TARDIS, but her TARDIS was sitting just inside the entrance, such that when you walked inside you entered directly into her TARDIS creating the illusion you were walking into St. Paul's.

Ophelion

Then it would provide a interesting set-up and overarching plot for the season if the Doctor would kill actually kill him initially and then work the season through the ramifications.

I mean, assuming consistency is something the team is concerned with at all (and I know some people at least think this is not the case) the death of Davros as a child would be paradox fucking city. The number of paradoxes based on things that have happened in the Doctor's life alone because of the creation of the Daleks would be immense, to say nothing of anyone else's timeline. Hell, the whole Time War would become a paradox at that point (more than it already is at any rate.)

It would literally tear the Doctor's universe apart for him to murder Davros at this point. It's not a simple matter of the ethical dilemma of whether he should permit such a man to live. He would literally end history if he doesn't. This isn't even a choice. I could even see the Doctor giving this as his reasoning for doing it so he doesn't have to look all touchy feely again.

Razmos

I just had an.. interesting.. theory (some light spoilers ahead regarding upcoming episodes)
That the lie Missy told wasnt that the Doctor was a little girl, because we never actually saw the crying boy that Clara comforted previously, the whole "who are you" thing to Maisey Williams character is because she is actually the doctor as a child and around the same time the Doctor realizes where he saw his current face before, because he met himself as a child
It's a stupid theory that probably won't happen... but given the way the show has been recently (Missy, Davros origin, Clara being all his companions) it isnt entirely impossible.
And it would shut people up about having a female doctor if he was female once

-griffy-

Banned
I just had an.. interesting.. theory (some light spoilers ahead regarding upcoming episodes)
That the lie Missy told wasnt that the Doctor was a little girl, because we never actually saw the crying boy that Clara comforted previously, the whole "who are you" thing to Maisey Williams character is because she is actually the doctor as a child and around the same time the Doctor realizes where he saw his current face before, because he met himself as a child
It's a stupid theory that probably won't happen... but given the way the show has been recently (Missy, Davros origin, Clara being all his companions) it isnt entirely impossible.

Hey, that's not bad. I don't think it's stupid at all! Only thing I don't like about it is it would pretty well mean Maisie Williams can't be a companion in the future :p

I don't know why, but for some reason I was under the impression that St. Paul's Cathedral wasn't her TARDIS, but her TARDIS was sitting just inside the entrance, such that when you walked inside you entered directly into her TARDIS creating the illusion you were walking into St. Paul's.

Yeah, that's entirely plausible too. She could have recreated the exterior with the same result. If she did just a single interior door she would have to account for all the entrances and exits. I supposed a TARDIS could figure that out.

The Master has done a TARDIS Concord before. Anything is possible.

The main problem with that theory is
regeneration limit stuff and the fact that there's many, many references throughout the show specifically calling Hartnell's incarnation the first, and specifically his first body, not his first regeneration (which would technically be Troughton)
but hey ho anything can be written around!

GulAtiCa

I think it would be an interesting theory. Though, I think the whole "Where have I seen this face?" from last season is just a funny gag the writers threw in since Peter Capaldi was in a previous Doctor Who episode: The Fires of Pompeii before he was ever the Doctor.

Ophelion

I think it would be an interesting theory. Though, I think the whole "Where have I seen this face?" from last season is just a funny gag the writers threw in since Peter Capaldi was in a previous Doctor Who episode: The Fires of Pompeii before he was ever the Doctor.

It is definitely that, but the synopsis for at least one of the upcoming episodes has said they will address it all the same this season.

Razmos

The main problem with that theory is
regeneration limit stuff and the fact that there's many, many references throughout the show specifically calling Hartnell's incarnation the first, and specifically his first body, not his first regeneration (which would technically be Troughton)
but hey ho anything can be written around!
How much do we know about time lord childhood anyway? considering their crazy biology and body switching (and now sex changing as well) it could be possible that time lords go through some *ahem* big changes during puberty

Ophelion

How much do we know about time lord childhood anyway? considering their crazy biology and body switching (and now sex changing as well) it could be possible that time lords go through some *ahem* big changes during puberty

Man. And I thought my adolescent years were confusing...

I used to like the idea that regeneration was something learned but River changed that with her regenerating as a child.

A Gallifreyan couldn't necessarily regenerate but a Time Lord trained at the Academy had the ability. But like I said, River.

I tend to think a Time Lord sex change has to be planned instead of something that happens due to imminent death. In those scenarios it has previously been established that a Time Lord can pick their exact face (or have it picked out for them) before regeneration.

Finalow

yes I meant it's obvious that he's not going to kill him, at least not by shooting him in the face.

my memory is a bit fuzzy right now but didn't Davros die 5/6 seasons ago or something?

He's been thinking he's going to die for some unknown reason for three series now.

But you're right I'm sure everything will turn out okay in the end and just this once no one will die.
it matters more what he does than what he thinks. the fact that they're bringing back the whole "doctor is dying" thing for the 10th time doesn't mean that it can't be interesting.

also Capaldi is a great doctor, never let him regenerate please~

Ophelion

I used to like the idea that regeneration was something learned but River changed that with her regenerating as a child.

A Gallifreyan couldn't necessarily regenerate but a Time Lord trained at the Academy had the ability. But like I said, River.

I tend to think a Time Lord sex change has to be planned instead of something that happens due to imminent death. In those scenarios it has previously been established that a Time Lord can pick their exact face (or have it picked out for them) before regeneration.

That ship sailed long before River. Six regenerates reflexively into Seven. There's no way he did that on purpose. Come to think of it, Seven was in a freaking coma when he regenerated into Eight.

zeemumu

yes I meant it's obvious that he's not going to kill him, at least not by shooting him in the face.

my memory is a bit fuzzy right now but didn't Davros die 5/6 seasons ago or something?

Eh, people die all the time in this series, but that never stops them from being recurring characters. River died in her introduction.

What if this Davros is actually younger and he managed to survive up until the other encounter?

Quick

Banned
I don't exactly mind Moffat's approach that "time can be rewritten."

I think this is a product of getting used to RTD's more strict protocols on interfering with history, and just wanting to see a more liberal approach to time travel.

-griffy-

Banned
Well, it was certainly implied in Journey's End.

I was reading up on the Wiki over the weekend to refresh myself on Davros, and it said that Davies had done interviews at the time saying it's a good bet that Davros somehow survived since he wouldn't want to be the one responsible for taking out the Doctor's arch enemy.

Also, in regards to Davros' physical appearance/injuries, it's explained in a comic that his science lab was bombarded by Thal, ruining his eyes, arm and legs and leaving him scarred.

It's worth noting people should probably temper their expectations on the 'faces' explanation because Moffat pilfered it from RTD, who thought it up to explain why Capaldi had appeared in both Who and Torchwood as two different people but then deleted it from the script in question because it was 'too fanwanky' - RTD's words in his Who years memoir thing. Moffat said when he cast Capaldi he emailed RTD and asked him what he'd come up with, and that he'd 'tweaked' it a bit. So don't expect anything earth-shattering..

It felt more implied that he survived, considering the Doctor leaves him and we never actually see his fate.

Even back then, RTD was on the podcast commentary released hours after that show aired saying "no doubt he had an escape pod back there somewhere...!" He was always going to survive.

Walk in the ashes of a thousand Star Wars EU stories and ask if a comic makes a difference.

To be fair its also in the Big Finish I, Davros series (which is fantastic and everyone should listen to). Weirdly I feel like the one thing Moffat likes respecting and keeping somewhat sacred is Big Finish pseudo-cannon.

And generally it would be a bit of a leap to suggest that Davros gets turned into a monster purely thanks to the Doctor ditching him/pointing a gun in his face. It could explain his xenophobia, sure, but I think his disfigurement being a result of the war and that being one of his drives to make the Daleks (along with his general weird obsession with mutations) makes more sense.

To be fair its also in the Big Finish I, Davros series (which is fantastic and everyone should listen to). Weirdly I feel like the one thing Moffat likes respecting and keeping somewhat sacred is Big Finish pseudo-cannon.

And generally it would be a bit of a leap to suggest that Davros gets turned into a monster purely thanks to the Doctor ditching him/pointing a gun in his face. It could explain his xenophobia, sure, but I think his disfigurement being a result of the war and that being one of his drives to make the Daleks (along with his general weird obsession with mutations) makes more sense.

I'm terrified that next week is going to involve a young Davros seeing a Dalek and rather than being horrified thinking it's brilliant, carrying the idea with him until he does it. Moffat does like making things circular. Fuck the end of Listen last year for this in particular

Boem

About Davros being killed in that Tennant-story: Don't worry about it. Davros was killed by the Daleks in the first story that he appeared in, and that didn't stop him from coming back for almost every classic Dalek story after that. And he was killed some more then.

It's the same with the Master - there's always a last-minute teleport, or a backdoor, or a Tardis standing by, even if we don't see it. I get why that would be annoying for some, but after so many years I don't think an explanation of 'aha, but you didn't count on my so-and-so-machine' or whatever whenever they turn up again will add anything. I mean, they can if there's a cool story there, but at this point I think Moffat proved he'd rather go for the joke - see Missy's 'yeah, I'm not dead, doesn't matter, let's move on' last saturday. In the case of Davros, whose scenes will probably be a bit more dramatic and relevant to the story currently being told, I doubt it'll get mentioned at all. Notably, it's actually also one of the central jokes in the first Who-related thing Moffat ever wrote: the Curse of Fatal Death-parody with Rowan Atkinson, with the Doctor and the Master continually 'dying' in each others traps while coming back seconds later with increasingly elaborate reasons of why they survived just before.

No matter how often the entire Dalek race will be wiped out, no matter how often we'll see the Master fall down a black hole - they'll always come back. The same reason why the Doctor will never actually completely run out of lives. It's better to just go with it and not worry about it too much.

The tank and guitar bit was so good. Made me love the show a lot again for a few minutes before it went back to the typical convoluted plot structure.

did anybody get bill and ted vibes from that scene? i loved it and it made me clamor even more for a young dumb companion. like i'd take a chav at this point tbh, the interactions would be pretty funny.

Ophelion

I don't exactly mind Moffat's approach that "time can be rewritten."

I think this is a product of getting used to RTD's more strict protocols on interfering with history, and just wanting to see a more liberal approach to time travel.

One of the worst things (in my eyes) about deciding that the Time Lords had "died" in the Time War was that it shifted the Doctor from being a renegade Chaotic Good member of an omnipotent Lawful Neutral race to being forced into a much more Lawful Good shape for a lot of his NuWho incarnations.* No one was left to lay down the law, so the Doctor became awfully sanctimonious as a result (as the master once very aptly observed.) I vastly prefer the Doctor as a clever and dangerous meddler who says things like, "True, I am guilty of interference, just as you are guilty of failing to use your great powers to help those in need!"

Whereas in the RTD days he'd say things like, “I’m The Doctor, and if you don’t like it, if you want to take it to a higher authority, there isn’t one: It stops with me!” Ugh, gross. Frankly, the idea of the Doctor being an authority figure in any real regard is mortifying. By any race's standards he is insane, unreliable and incapable of being a proper adult even by human standards, much less Time Lord ones.

I do like that Capaldi feels more like a renegade again even if he doesn't specifically have a higher power to rebel against. He somehow balances a more appropriately punk attitude with his responsibilities to being the de facto custodian of the universe.

*D&D alignments used for simplicity. Not necessarily 100% accurate.

Top Bottom