• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

thefro

US ratings are in... big growth again

BBC AMERICA’s Doctor Who rang in season 9 with a bang, delivering double digit growth from season 8 across all key demos in live plus same day ratings. The premiere episode ranks as Doctor Who’s biggest season premiere ever in the Adult 18-49 demo, which nearly doubled the season 8 average. The season debut also saw increased social engagement versus last season’s premiere, and reigned as the most social drama of the night and week leading into the premiere.

“Doctor Who is unlike anything else on television, a storied franchise that is as fresh and contemporary as ever, with brilliant writing and superb performances,” said Sarah Barnett, President of BBC AMERICA. “We couldn’t be more thrilled that new and returning Doctor Who fans tuned into the live premiere in record numbers and we look forward to bringing more of the Doctor to this passionate audience.”

Live + Same Day Ratings Highlights*:

The premiere telecast delivered 2 million total viewers and 1.1 million Adults 18-49. Among A18-49, Doctor Who propelled BBC AMERICA to #3 in its timeslot, out-delivering the big 4 broadcast networks and ranking only behind college football on ESPN and the finale of Sábado Gigante on Univision.

In the A18-49 demo, Doctor Who is now one of just 14 dramas on TV this season to show any growth from its prior season premiere (out of 100+ returning dramas).

The A18-49 audience ranks as Doctor Who’s biggest season premiere ever on BBC AMERICA, nearly doubling the S8 average (+95%). In the demo, episode 901 ranks among the top 10 returning cable drama premieres this season, beating Homeland, Suits and The Strain, among others.

All tracked demos showed increases from the season 8 average with the most significant increases seen among the younger demos, most notably P12-24 (+186%) and P18-34 (+161%).

The episode reigned as the #1 most social drama of the night based on ListenFirst's Digital Audience Ratings for Television. It was the #1 TV brand on Tumblr, the #1 drama on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and the #2 drama on Instagram, following The Walking Dead. It was also the #1 most social drama of the week.

Episode 901 garnered larger social engagement than the most recent season premieres of Scandal, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, True Detective, Outlander, Glee, and The Flash, among others.

definitely. would like more stuff like that though. such as that one moment in season 5 where he brought van gogh to his own art gallery.

i've looked back at moments like this way more fondly than any of large end-game plots moffat's been bringing us.

Ophelion

Actually makes me wonder: who do people think of as The Doctor's arch enemy, Davros or The Master?

I kind of feel like The Master should take the crown just because The Master always seems to know just how to twist the knife. The Doctor and Davros match wits a lot, but it doesn't feel personal in the way it is with The Master.

Oh, and The Master successfully murdered one of the Doctor's incarnations (something Davros has never successfully done) and it was everyone's favorite Number Four to boot.

Chariot

Well, I would put put the Master in there because of their related names. The Doctor and the Master. We just need the unemployed Bachelor of Arts for the trinity.

mclem

Actually makes me wonder: who do people think of as The Doctor's arch enemy, Davros or The Master?

I kind of feel like The Master should take the crown just because The Master always seems to know just how to twist the knife. The Doctor and Davros match wits a lot, but it doesn't feel personal in the way it is with The Master.

Oh, and The Master successfully murdered one of the Doctor's incarnations (something Davros has never successfully done) and it was everyone's favorite Number Four to boot.

Well, if nothing else, Missy is certainly more arch.

Kurdel

Banned
Rewatched it yesterday.

Only nitpick is the Doctor repeating the hug thing. I mean, Clara could have made the comment, and the Doctor could have just gave her a "this is one of those times" look. That coupled with the Missy song is like "REMEMBER THE SEASON 8 FINALE ?" . I imagine it won't go over too well when peope binge watch it and have references to the episode they just finished.

But still, great episode, can't wait until the conclusion!

zeemumu

Davros is the arch enemy. Master is the rival. Like Shadow being Sonic's rival and Eggman being the arch enemy.

Fireblend

Banned
Rewatched it yesterday.

Only nitpick is the Doctor repeating the hug thing. I mean, Clara could have made the comment, and the Doctor could have just gave her a "this is one of those times" look. That coupled with the Missy song is like "REMEMBER THE SEASON 8 FINALE ?" . I imagine it won't go over too well when peope binge watch it and have references to the episode they just finished.

But still, great episode, can't wait until the conclusion!

I mean, Missy dying in 2 consecutive episodes only to come back in the next (presumably) would seem to me like the most glaring detail.

Quick

Banned
definitely. would like more stuff like that though. such as that one moment in season 5 where he brought van gogh to his own art gallery.

i've looked back at moments like this way more fondly than any of large end-game plots moffat's been bringing us.

vqBcGza.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
One of the worst things (in my eyes) about deciding that the Time Lords had "died" in the Time War was that it shifted the Doctor from being a renegade Chaotic Good member of an omnipotent Lawful Neutral race to being forced into a much more Lawful Good shape for a lot of his NuWho incarnations.* No one was left to lay down the law, so the Doctor became awfully sanctimonious as a result (as the master once very aptly observed.) I vastly prefer the Doctor as a clever and dangerous meddler who says things like, "True, I am guilty of interference, just as you are guilty of failing to use your great powers to help those in need!"

Whereas in the RTD days he'd say things like, “I’m The Doctor, and if you don’t like it, if you want to take it to a higher authority, there isn’t one: It stops with me!” Ugh, gross. Frankly, the idea of the Doctor being an authority figure in any real regard is mortifying. By any race's standards he is insane, unreliable and incapable of being a proper adult even by human standards, much less Time Lord ones.

I do like that Capaldi feels more like a renegade again even if he doesn't specifically have a higher power to rebel against. He somehow balances a more appropriately punk attitude with his responsibilities to being the de facto custodian of the universe.

*D&D alignments used for simplicity. Not necessarily 100% accurate.

Yeah, honestly, I just wish they brought back Gallifrey and the Time Lords so the doctor isn't so sanctimonious and goes back to how he was in the earlier iterations.

The "last of my own kind" doesn't cut it anymore when Gallifey is out there and the Master is around making Chaos.

NICE!

America loves Peter Capaldi, here I was worried that the "older doctor" thing would scare away people. Glad to know my worries was for nothing.

In classic who, the Master was definitely more of the rival. He is basically the Anti-doctor. In new-Who, the master is more of the psychopath, though the new master does feel closer to the older ones. Bravo Michele Gomez :D

I would love to see the Gomez's master as the doctors companion, even for half a season. I really hope it happens when Clara leaves.

Davros.

The Master is more like a thorn in the Doctor's side than an arch enemy. He shows up, annoys the Doctor for a bit, twirls his mustache, and then realizes his plan was moronic and assists the Doctor in thwarting it.

Davros is far more the Doctor's true arch-nemesis. When I think of moments like that famous conversation in Genesis, the showdown between the Doctor and Davros in Revelation, or the scenes between them in Journey's End, nothing the Master has even comes close to that. Anytime the Doctor and Davros are in a scene together, you pay attention.

I mean, Missy dying in 2 consecutive episodes only to come back in the next (presumably) would seem to me like the most glaring detail.

Though I liked the episode, I do think it's a poor choice to kill her twice in a row like that. It's just ridiculous and super cheap. I've loved Moffat's time on the show but I think he needs someone to more sternly tell him 'No' sometimes.

Ophelion

Davros.

The Master is more like a thorn in the Doctor's side than an arch enemy. He shows up, annoys the Doctor for a bit, twirls his mustache, and then realizes his plan was moronic and assists the Doctor in thwarting it.

Davros is far more the Doctor's true arch-nemesis. When I think of moments like that famous conversation in Genesis, the showdown between the Doctor and Davros in Revelation, or the scenes between them in Journey's End, nothing the Master has even comes close to that. Anytime the Doctor and Davros are in a scene together, you pay attention.

Mmh. His plans were pretty shit more often than not, weren't they? Alright, I rescind my vote for The Master. Sorry Missy. I still like you better than Davros if that's any consolation.

Though I liked the episode, I do think it's a poor choice to kill her twice in a row like that. It's just ridiculous and super cheap. I've loved Moffat's time on the show but I think he needs someone to more sternly tell him 'No' sometimes.

I sometimes wonder if this is exactly the difference between the quality levels on Sherlock Vs Doctor Who. His wife is on him about stuff when it comes to Sherlock. Not so much Doctor Who. Some people just need a keeper...I mean, granted, he is putting out many times the quantity of Doctor Who, but still I feel like Sherlock has fared better quality wise.

I'm terrified that next week is going to involve a young Davros seeing a Dalek and rather than being horrified thinking it's brilliant, carrying the idea with him until he does it. Moffat does like making things circular. Fuck the end of Listen last year for this in particular

The one thing that makes me think he may avoid it this time is the fact that the Doctor meeting baby Davros seems to only now be affecting old Davros. He talks about 'remembering' the Doctor and pulls out the sonic screwdriver as if his past is just now changing. Which in turn would imply that whatever the Doctor does/did/will do won't necessarily make Davros Davros. I think/hope at least.

And I could see the Moffat-esque loop being baby Davros meeting old, withered Davros like with Kazran, only this time it just makes him more insane.

Jacobi

Banned
I agree with some of the fine people in here.
I want to see cool worlds/times with cool concepts, like we had so often.
I don't care about super nolan-ish plots that span across the whole time...

Finally caught the episode. I've been tired of the Doctor being a prop inside a fairy tale about himself since the end of the 1st year of Moffat's tenure, and let's be honest, the writing has varied between campy sci fi goodness to a British version of Passions under RTD and Fractured Fairy Tales to bad 1992 Usenet fanfiction under Moffat, but my biggest problem as usual is that Capaldi feels like someone who really needs good dialogue to keep things moving and if there's one thing this series hasn't had since RTD left, it's good dialogue.

As usual, I'm left completely confused with Moffat's insistence on having Doctor Who be structured roughly like an episode of Aqua Teens, where everyone dies a horrible death but is back in the next episode, and everyone in a position that would imply they know what they are doing acts like a first day Temp (sometimes including the Doctor, but excluding his genius companion), yet against better judgement (or because I remained a fan of this series through The Two Doctors and Time and the Rani), I'm still intrigued with the concept and eager to see what happens next. Since this is a Moffat two parter, I expect it to finally get interesting in the first 10 minutes and then completely fall apart in the last 3.

I will say that somehow Capaldi feels more comfortable in the role already, and I'm not even sure why. No, it's not just the hair

Nice episode,
So Davros is going to be the Doctor companion now?
Or is the Doctor going to shoot himself to prevent himself from saving Davros?
pretty sure the Doctor didn't originally left Davros for death.
good cliffhanger.

Hcoregamer00

I am loving that BBC America is starting to show 4th doctor episodes in the morning.

4th Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith, Harry!!! <3 <3

I hope they keep doing this, this is too awesome, I want more of my American friends to experience the greatness of Tom Baker.

I will say that somehow Capaldi feels more comfortable in the role already, and I'm not even sure why. No, it's not just the hair

Yes, Capaldi is definitely hitting his stride.

He feels very doctor-ish, he feels like a classic who doctor, I LOVE IT.

Really surprised how the US ratings keep going up. A lot of people I know don't even like the new doc haha

I am loving that BBC America is starting to show 4th doctor episodes in the morning.

4th Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith, Harry!!! <3 <3

I hope they keep doing this, this is too awesome, I want more of my American friends to experience the greatness of Tom Baker.

Would be cool if they would do a double-header of classic and new on saturdays

ghstwrld

considering everything that goes down between clara and missy in the previous season, their interactions don't really make any kind of sense tbh

GulAtiCa

considering everything that goes down between clara and missy in the previous season, their interactions don't really make any kind of sense tbh

She literally killed 2 people in front of her. And then she seems kinda buddy buddy with her when they are on the "space ship"/planet with the somewhat jokes. Only part of episode I found odd.

Hcoregamer00

She literally killed 2 people in front of her. And then she seems kinda buddy buddy with her when they are on the "space ship"/planet with the somewhat jokes. Only part of episode I found odd.

Yeah, that felt weird.

Michelle Gomez was a hoot, but Clara became BFF's with the Master way too quickly.

Boem

And there you go. Told you all you were panicking for nothing about those viewing numbers :p.

Watched The Invisible Enemy yesterday: famous for introducing K9, and for being shit. Curiously I rather enjoyed it. I mean, I know it's shit and I would never claim otherwise (the bad guy is a giant shrimp who can't even walk around by himself who takes over people by giving them giant eyebrows), but there's at least some nice model work and Tom Baker is still enjoying himself at this point. Sadly I've now reached to point in the series after the golden years are over. There are still some gems here and there - City of Death - but from this point onwards the quality overall will just keep sliding. I think I'll just slow my pace and take it for what it is. Hell, I was amused by Invisible Enemy. I should be able to make some of these other stories work.

So I'm now on series 2 of the current series. Am I reading too much or
Did they change to David Tenant so the Doctor/Rose romance was more believable? Honestly I'm not even sure I like the whole Doctor/Rose angle. I liked it when it was more of a mentor/mentoree, father/daughter relationship

Dryk

Yeah that was weird. Clara has to put up with Missy because she's too important but they don't have to be friends.

Boem

So I'm now on series 2 of the current series. Am I reading too much or
Did they change to David Tenant so the Doctor/Rose romance was more believable? Honestly I'm not even sure I like the whole Doctor/Rose angle. I liked it when it was more of a mentor/mentoree, father/daughter relationship

Well, Eccleston (the previous Doctor) left because he wanted to leave, not because the BBC wanted someone younger/more attractive. Eccleston didn't get on with some people in production. The fact that they got Tennant might have helped them decide to go more fully for that romance storyline though.

And I agree, the idea of the Doctor getting it on with one of his companions (especially one so young) is super creepy to me. Glad they're not doing that anymore. I really dislike the idea of the Doctor travelling with pretty girls in his magic box because he wants to bang them. Not exactly what they were trying to say there, but it did give the series an uncomfortable vibe for a while, especially if you're familiar with the older Doctors. That kind of thing goes away eventually though.

Oh, and if you're unsure why there's someone else playing the Doctor: there's an introduction episode they broadcast during christmas. Some online/retail releases don't include that with the full season for some reason. Something to keep in mind: there's an extra episode between each season. There are also some mini-episodes they make for yearly charity events and youtube and stuff like that, released at random points throughout the series. Nothing super important (except one released before the 50th anniversary special, but that's still a bit ahead of you), but some of them are pretty fun.

If you ever get confused, here's a list of all the regular episodes of each Doctor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

And here's a list of all the little special mini-episodes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_special_Doctor_Who_episodes

Top Bottom