• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

He is too good for this world :(

tumblr_mwqyy34SAB1r5s4n9o2_500.gif

zeemumu

Radio Times reviewer's thoughts on the next episode. I can't tell how big the spoiler is, so click that tag at your own risk.

Most episodes could be divided into 5 categories. Present day earth story, future utopia turned dystopia, random base and crew attacked by space monster, dude from past is secretly assisting aliens, and Doctor's past stories.

Just saw part 2.

I don't get it. Part 1 had everything I've been disliking in the past few seasons. Part 2? Completely fine.

There was some stuff that didn't make sense, like for example the sewer Daleks reacting the way they did seems like something Davros should have considered, and Daleks saying "mercy" isn't so weird when we've seen one do so on screen, but I'm willing to count those as minor annoyances.

(and a Dalek rolling up on the Doctor going I AM A DALEK I AM A DALEK I AM A DALEK is absolutely hilarious)

Ophelion

Now that I think of it, it would be kind of fun for her "companion" to be kind of...Lawful Evil? Someone interested in reigning her in for a rules-based reason, but no less interested in getting her killed than she is in killing them. An intense mini-series long game of Cat and Also-Cat!

My thoughts won't leave this alone sadly. What if her "companion" was a member of the Shadow Proclamation?

Now, I'm not saying one of Missy's entourage should be a Judoon, but I'm certainly not not saying that.

tomtom94

Most episodes could be divided into 5 categories. Present day earth story, future utopia turned dystopia, random base and crew attacked by space monster, dude from past is secretly assisting aliens, and Doctor's past stories.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if the statement in the spoiler tags is meant to be some kind of twist since it's not mentioned in the episode synopses I've seen.

Quick

Banned
I just watched the 11th Doctor regeneration scene in Time of the Doctor again. Such a great scene.

"Times change, and so must I" is such a Doctory kind of quote.

Excuse me while I just...

8dc691f62e103168c57911253cd80b97.gif

Listening to Davros right now and you aren't kidding, I can see moffat using it for reference.

Also happy to see you post again I remember some of your threads back when I lurked.

Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying the audio play, I think its brilliant. I, Davros is also absolutely great.

Ophelion

I just watched the 11th Doctor regeneration scene in Time of the Doctor again. Such a great scene.

I feel you on this. I feel you. It was exactly what I wanted in a regeneration.

M.Bluth

I really hated how messy Time of the Doctor was, but yes, the last 5 minutes or so when Clara enters the TARDIS are pretty much perfect.

Well, aside from those wigs...

D_prOdigy

Perfect choice of music too.

Yeah, regardless of the rest of it, I can always watch Time of the Doctor for the last ten minutes

Vibranium

Banned
#Osgoodforcompanion

No thank you. She's pretty much a stereotypical nerd character who cosplays as the Doctor's past regens.

I'll take Missy or a companion in her 30's or 40's instead. Someone close to Capaldi's age would be perfect, and I think kids would still enjoy it.

M.Bluth

No thank you. She's pretty much a stereotypical nerd character who cosplays as the Doctor's past regens.
Agreed. She's fun enough for an episode or two, but as a full-time companion they will have to change her so much to the point of being completely different.

Personally I'm in favor of Shona from Last Christmas.

Dryk

The entire speech is great, and yeah reusing Infinite Potential was perfect. By far the most on point regeneration in the new series.

It all just disappears doesn't it?
Everything you are, gone in a moment like breath on a mirror

We all change, if you think about it. We're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay, you gotta keep moving,
As long as you remember all the people that you used to.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day I swear
I will always remember when the Doctor was me

hamchan

Yeah Osgood is dead.

I could have seen her character working as a companion and it would have been interesting.

Someone who starts off idolizing the Doctor as a superhero and already knowing a lot about him, only to truly discover his darker and more scary side as she travels with him. Her mental image of him gets more and more destroyed until she leaves in disgust.

She's dead now though, RIP.

So, putting Clara inside a Dalek was basically foreshadowing based on her previous encounters (the impossible girl), right? Come on, you were all thinking it too.

The dialogue with Davros was good though.

D_prOdigy

I feel like I'm against the grain in not wanting Missy to be a companion-type character.

She's a baddie.

Like, a proper, proper awesome, effective baddie.

I don't feel like we need to see her having bants with the Doctor every week; she's at her best when she's just being plain dastardly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yep. Saw the preview for next week and could already tell it's a story that when I get to the end, I'll say to myself, "Well...that sure was an episode of Doctor Who."

Not good, not bad. Just more Who. Which is never a bad thing itself, just not in any way inspiring or hype worthy.

Lots of running down corridors between bulkhead doors with spinning wheels on to lock them.

I'm considering this episode to be a gap filler after the opening two-parter. Anything more is a bonus

Jacobi

Banned
I feel like I'm against the grain in not wanting Missy to be a companion-type character.

She's a baddie.

Like, a proper, proper awesome, effective baddie.

I don't feel like we need to see her having bants with the Doctor every week; she's at her best when she's just being plain dastardly.
Well she wasn't in Part 2 (didn't kill Davros, WHY?).

Blues1990

Yeah Osgood is dead.

I could have seen her character working as a companion and it would have been interesting.

Someone who starts off idolizing the Doctor as a superhero and already knowing a lot about him, only to truly discover his darker and more scary side as she travels with him. Her mental image of him gets more and more destroyed until she leaves in disgust.

She's dead now though, RIP.
I always thought her death was unnecessary, but maybe it's just me.

As for a new companion for the 12th Doctor, why not have his daughter Jenny join in on the fun? I know that she was a one-off character, but she would've been a fun character to bounce off of the grumpy, decrepit old owl that is the current Doctor.

So, putting Clara inside a Dalek was basically foreshadowing based on her previous encounters (the impossible girl), right? Come on, you were all thinking it too.

The dialogue with Davros was good though.

It's the third time they she has been inside a Dalek now.

I always found her attire for Into the Dalek very interesting. Eyes. Lots of them. Then there was the eye imagery in the Dalek two-parter this year with the hands. In this case the handmines were meant to be a direct influence on Dalek design and Davros' own third eye, I imagine.

"We're excited to announce there will be no new series of Doctor Who in 2016! Imagine how thirsty you'll be for it when it returns in Autumn 2017!"

Would think it'd be a bit early for a new companion announcement.

tomtom94

Probably an announcement for the Doctor Who Experience or the official Who festival.

Also, today is apparently the four year anniversary of Wedding of River Song. Hooray?

Would be weird to announce a new companion when Jenna is still in the current series, especially as they won't be filming until January (if they're filming at all next year).

TheJoRu

Probably new companion announcement.

EDIT: No, scratch that. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say this is an announcement of a "Specials year" + new companion + next year is Moffat's last. All at once. If they're doing fewer episodes next year I'll doubt they'll announce that separately, they'll want to do that with other, more exciting and/or interesting news at the same time to cover up the blow. They want to do it right now to create more interest in the current series (the ratings are fine, but admittedly a bit down thus far), which I think is going to end with a big cliffhanger that sets up the coming specials.

Go on and laugh at me when I'm wrong. I'm having a boring day and need some megatons in my life.

Top Bottom