• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

GulAtiCa

Mid-season? Looking at the air dates, there is roughly a new episode each week till the 12th episode on Dec 5th. Would there even be a concept of a mid-season if all the episodes are aired back to back like that? (as opposed to a big 2 or 3 month break around Christmas like they did in some previous seasons.)

I don't see why not. Amy/Rory left mid-season.
Yes, but that was when there was a 3 month gap between that episode and the next episode.

B) Specials year for 2016, but making it positive by announcing a massive guest star for special one.

363.gif

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah but we knew that beforehand didn't we?
But who's to say this season will follow the others? It hasn't so far. It opened with a two-parter, the next episode is a two-parter, there are more two-parters to come, Missy is a prominent role. Moffat can do as he pleases.

I'm going for Christmas casting / special guest star for later in the series.

New companion would be nice but feels a bit too early. Although saying that this is clearly meant to be Friday news to drum up interest come Sat's ep so...who knows.

Boem

New companion being cast is a big possibility. It won't be about the next series being a set of specials, unless they'll make one of them something special like a McGann-special or a Missy-special like we've been discussing (but that's not happening).

Could be anything really, even a videogame or something. Matt Smith got a couple of them (a terrible one on Wii, a very mediocre one on DS, the free PC adventure games that were decent enough considering they were free, Eternity Clock which was fun enough for fans, and a handful of iOS games that I never bothered to check out. Capaldi hasn't gotten anything apart from Lego Dimensions so far).

I doubt it'll be anything really huge, apart from the chance of it being the new companion.

Hoping for some more refound episodes though, but that feels like wishing for world peace.

I'm fully expecting Clara to just leave in the last episode of the season, and the companion being introduced at christmas or even after that. I don't think she'll leave at the half-way point or anything.

C) Spinoff series, that is definitely not to fill a 2016 gap honest we're not talking about that

D) Movie please god no

---

Rosie✖️ ‏@tardisfangirl28
@bbcdoctorwho this is making me nervous now

Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho
@tardisfangirl28 Please don't be nervous. It's good. Really good.

Magwik

Banned
Something spinoff related
Something movie related
Or they finally managed to surgically remove the stick from Ecclestons ass and he'll return for something

Quick

Banned
Doctor Who production reveals have been pretty wide open lately - Missy's return, Maisie Williams guest-starring, casting spoiler (already announced, but spoiler tag I guess):
Osgood's return
, Jenna's departure (though, companion departures haven't really been too secretive), and probably more.

It could easily be a new companion or a new slate of toys.

Boem

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/649643368482537472

Bigger news than any body is guessing so far...

No...

It's not...

It can't be...

But..

My God.

Alpha Centauri christmas special.

tumblr_n3l5izxazX1shf8p5o1_500.jpg

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, considering they specified 'hours, not days' until the announcement, and assuming they won't announce anyone in the middle of the night for people in the UK (even though it is BBC America), there are 5 more hours left until midnight.

With their hyping it up, I'm betting on a big-budget movie for next year, quietly taking away from the limited amount of episodes we're getting.

Might be an update like the one we got when Moffat was announced- here's what we're doing for the next few years, and here's who's doing it.

EDIT: Wait. Shit. That announcement happened a few days before Silence in the Library, to build up hype for what the new guy's doing. If it is a new showrunner announcement, odds are it's Whithouse, given his episode this weekend.

OH

Maybe the Big Finish news! That's not official yet.

Nah, too small, too commercial for this.

Yeah I was thinking that but then I imagine the BBC promoting Big Finish stuff is iffy. I don't follow them so I don't know if they made a big deal out of the River/Torchwood reveals previously.

Going out now, so I'll nail my colours to the mast.

It'll either be...

a) Whithouse as show runner starting 2017
or
b) Peter Jackson directing a big budget Who movie.

Boem

Wait.

We have some HUGE #DoctorWho news coming very soon… Stay tuned! #excited

Time frame for MASSIVE #DoctorWho news: hours, not days.
And it’s much bigger news than some people are guessing…

HUGE

MASSIVE

much bigger news

This describes only one man in Britain.

Brian Blessed was able to do the show after all!

Edit:

Going out now, so I'll nail my colours to the mast.

It'll either be...

a) Whithouse as show runner starting 2017
or
b) Peter Jackson directing a big budget Who movie.

That second one sounds pretty likely actually. We know that Peter Jackson has been talking about wanting to direct an episode for a while (for free, in return for a Dalek), and we know that the BBC has been antsy to get a movie off the ground. I don't know if Peter Jackson would actually do the movie because that's a much bigger time investment, but him doing the christmas special or something could work.

Ashodin

Think it's gonna be a movie about how Capaldi gets to help seal Gallifrey but realizes this is the only time he'll ever see it

Peter Jackson would definitely fit that level of news.

If they aren't going to have a full season next year some sort of event two hour episode with Jackson directing would be big.

All speculation.

tomtom94

Part of me wonders if they're pulling some sort of pun on large size. But I think it's highly likely to have something to do with 2016.

Quick

Banned
More things I can think of:

Moffat's departure and replacement.
Concerning Series 10/2016 special(s)
Finding a large number of lost episodes

I can't imagine it's announcing Moffat's replacement. It's massive news, yeah, but that also suggests they recognize that a large majority of people would be welcoming of that news, and I don't think they'd want to do that. Plus it'd seem like they were kneecapping the rest of this season if, after the close of the first two parter, they make an announcement that the guy running this season (and the next) is gone soon.

Top Bottom