• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Boem

"Please don't be nervous. It's good. Really good."

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/649644213265690624

This is a movie, isn't it?

Okay, so it won't be Moffat leaving (no matter what some fans might think, the BBC wouldn't describe that as 'really good') and it won't be confirmation of a limited series next year, unless packaged inbetween some other news.

So:

- Movie
- Missing Episodes (Could be, but I don't think so. Don't think their tone fits that kind of news, but hey, what do I know).
- New actor/actress cast as companion
- Peter Jackson
- Old Doctor returning for something (Also very doubtful).
- Spin off series (Could be Torchwood, but I don't think RTD has the time in the near future, and I think the BBC would rather go for something new)
- Wild card: David Bradley returning as the First Doctor in remake of some lost stories.

Announcing a movie at the start of a new season seems like a smart move of course. Would draw in a lot of viewers.

Boem

Suggestion from Reddit that I kinda like (mostly because it's different from what others are guessing, even though it's a bit out there): Big Finish recently uploaded the Under the Lake trailer to their youtube channel, and they don't really have anything to do with the tv series. And a David Tennant audio announcement would come from Big Finish, not the BBC.

The BBC and Big Finish teaming up to adapt one of the McGann audio's for tv?

Dalek

Knowing it's the their own PR, it's probably not as huge as we are thinking. But maybe some lost tapes were recovered?

Boem

Knowing it's the their own PR, it's probably not as huge as we are thinking. But maybe some lost tapes were recovered?

That would probably be the biggest news for me though. I guess a movie would technically be bigger, but I don't think a movie would automatically add something significant that they couldn't do in the tv show, apart from having a bigger budget. I'd much rather have a full tv season than a movie.

But if I had to bet some actual money on it, I would go for the new companion. The timing makes sense.

I guess a movie would technically be bigger, but I don't think a movie would automatically add something significant that they couldn't do in the tv show, apart from having a bigger budget.

Yeah, i don't really see what a movie could do that a 2-parter or longer episode like Day could other than a bigger budget.

Boem

The sad thing is, the only person I could see potentially standing in the way of this happening is Eccleston.

And, frankly, the showrunners. Even if they have the Doctors all ready to go, I really don't think big multi-doctor specials are going to become a regular thing now. It'll remain an anniversary thing I think. I can see maybe one Doctor having a short cameo at some point (like the Davison/Tennant Children in Need short), but nothing more than that.

In an effort to build ratings the next series, Sue Perkins will be the Doctor, the TARDIS will be redesigned to look like a kitchen in a marquee and introduces new enemies the Holly Wood.

Quick

Banned
This post made me log into Gallifrey Base.

"What can Doctor Who learn from the WWE?"

*logs out*

The Doctor currently has hustle and loyalty but hasn't learned the respect part yet.

FhAC9.gif

TheJoRu

No clues from Gallifrey Base?

Nah, not really. Though there's been plenty of rumblings concerning what series 10 really is; lots of rumours about it being split and/or not airing in 2016, for example.

Now here's another wild guess of mine: They are adopting the Sherlock-model for one year; meaning three 90-minute episodes in 2016, written by Moffat, Peter Harness and Mark Gatiss, and directed by Peter Jackson.

Nah, not really. Though there's been plenty of rumblings concerning what series 10 really is; lots of rumours about it being split and/or not airing in 2016, for example.

Now here's another wild guess of mine: They are adopting the Sherlock-model for one year; meaning three 90-minute episodes in 2016, written by Moffat, Peter Harness and Mark Gatiss, and directed by Peter Jackson.

If they're directed by Jackson, they'll be 190 minutes each.

Boem

Could it be related to the Mark Hamill rumor? I don't remember exactly, but a couple of months ago he tweeted something about filming a secret role in the UK in a long-running franchise, and it wasn't related to Star Wars.

Mark Hamill as someone like Morbius or Omega or another big villain like that in the christmas special?

Edit: This was the tweet: https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/601348416598315008

Back in the UK for a top secret project. Why must everything be a secret? Spoiler alert: not SW related.

That was towards the end of May, so it could be for the finale or something.

Boem

"BIG news"
"MASSIVE news"

don't fucking do this to me Beeb

They should have timed it with Nasa's hyping.

Wait, what with all the awesome Mars news going on, why aren't we getting more Ice Warrior stories? They made a new costume and everything. It's so obvious.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Could it be related to the Mark Hamill rumor? I don't remember exactly, but a couple of months ago he tweeted something about filming a secret role in the UK in a long-running franchise, and it wasn't related to Star Wars.

Mark Hamill as someone like Morbius or Omega or another big villain like that in the christmas special?

Edit: This was the tweet: https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/601348416598315008

That was towards the end of May, so it could be for the finale or something.

Pretty sure this was Arkham Knight related. Rocksteady is in the UK.

I think this is beyond "lost episodes", TBH, as happy as I would be about that.

Also, Paul Cornell is teasing:

https://twitter.com/Paul_Cornell/status/649669619087736832

This is about the future of the show, no doubt in my mind. Long-term stuff.

Whaaaaaaaa....

Maybe it is a showrunner thing.

Or maybe a portion of it is going to become a dedicated film series going forward?

If that happens, it's kinda funny: Doctor Who starts to become a little more like Bond, while Bond possibly becomes a little more like Doctor Who.

Zomba13

Like everything in life I'm expecting nothing. That way if it's nothing I don't care and if it is something I get a nice surprise.

I'm doubling down on that outlook after MGSV. The most recent time I expected something and I was let down.

Top Bottom