• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

latest
The motto of people who hate the glasses with a vengeance, surely?

Spaghetti

this week felt a bit more of a quick and cheap set-up for the next episode, but it was far from a bad one. s'alright. the series still has a decent batting average.

That episode was.... interesting. The actual "central plot" was pretty standard, but the Ashildr side plot was by far my favorite part. The call back to Pompeii was super fan-wanky but I loved it, and reminded me of how much I miss Donna. But I'm starting to understand where this series is going

Here's my predicion for the finale (blacking it out in the small chance I'm actually right):

Ashildr turns out to be the main baddy in the finale, now in the position of "The Minister of War". He was the Hybrid that was prophesied by Davros and the Ancient Time Lords, and has something to do with interfering with the return of Gallifrey as payback for the Doctor making her immortal. The Doctor ends up being the one that has the problem with himself and goes to hell , aka "Hell Bent", so he tries to undo what he did, and all sorts of timey-wimey shenanigans ensue.

thefro

I always find criticizing Doctor Who to be a strange experience as it's not a show that plays by conventional rules. The whole 'talk baby' thing doesn't make sense, nor does eels being the strong enough to screw over an army of advanced aliens,

The Doctor mentions during the setup to the battle that they use the "silvery stuff" from Clara's spacesuit to amplify the electricity from the eels. So that one's explained during the show in a hand-wave, blackbox tech way.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was meh on this week episode as I didn't care for Ashildr and the Viking having horned helmet bugged me, though I shouted "YAY!!" when the sunglasses was broken.

Though it might be short lived since they come back next week, urgh. ¬_¬;

GulAtiCa

Seems this episode is pretty diverse. I and others I talked to absolutely LOVED this episode. Surprised to come in here to see people hate it. Interesting.

The Adder

Banned
Urgh, easily the worst of the season for me anyway.

Just sick of the constant streaks of no one ever dying and there never being any stakes, the stuff at the very end is potentially interesting for the future but I'm sure it'll amount to bugger all through cop outs too.

And the reason for choosing the face was so damn weak!
"I'm sick of losing people" But you never do though!!
"I can't break the rules" But you always do, and everything is always fine!!

Lasr season consisted of someone dying almost every episode culminating in the death of the current companion's love interest. What the hell are you even on about?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm not liking this whole to be continued style they have been doing, but so far the season has been good. Not super amazing but definitely serviceable.

The Adder

Banned
Lasr season consisted of someone dying almost every episode culminating in the death of the current companion's love interest. What the hell are you even on about?

Further:

Hell, this episode killed off the first group of characters we were introduced to in the episode.

Last episode killed off a character who, in the previous episode and right up until her death, was treated as the important guest character.

Seriously. What the hell are you even on about?

Trike

I liked the episode, actually. It was similar to Robots of Sherwood, but I feel like it was executed a lot better. Once the Mire were defeated it got pretty interesting, but I wasn't really satisfied with the reason why the 12th Doctor has that face. Was hoping it would tie into his other character from Torchwood was well, but maybe it is better that it isn't so convoluted.

Robot of Sherwood was a real hoot. Only the kind of crazy who hated Forest of the Night could possibly find fault with it.

I missed the first broadcast of the latest episode, and I'm fresh from a binge viewing of four seasons of Game of Thrones. This is always going to be a tricky episode for me.

There are Who episodes that I ought to enjoy, really. Like Waters on Mars, which is great on paper but I don't really find people drooling water that frightening really. There are episodes that I find intrinsically uninteresting (Rings of Akhaten, Satan Pit). They're aimed at a different kind of Doctor Who viewer. This isn't that kind of episode.

I last saw Maisie Stark being fought over by Gwen Bradamante and Mr Nosebleed of Badhaircut in the Season 4 finale of Game of Thrones. This episode makes Doctor Who look like he just showed up late. I'm going to have to work on that.

The one thing that did irk me about this episode was the first time the aliens came down to harvest the warriors.

Clara runs over to Alsheilder and explains to her how to use the sonic sunglasses.
Like, just be like, GIVE THEM TO ME, and then unlock your chains yourself.

tomtom94

Just as a point, I'm sure people know this already but the next episode isn't really the second part of a two-parter, more of a self-contained episode that ties in to the previous one. (Hence why Tregenna is writing it rather than Mathieson)

Boem

yooooooooooooo are those the same glasses?

CRm-dZYWEAEUnae.jpg

Dr Who's put on his shades and is farting about with that sodding musical instrument again.
That joke was shamelessly stolen from twitter, but he's just the type of guy who likes silly shades/hats/costumes/instruments.

Enjoyed the episode. It wasn't big or dramatic and very deliberately goofy, but it worked for me. I can totally see Brian Blessed playing the Odin part and that would have been glorious, sad that didn't work out. Overall a very good effort of doing a silly, campy one without making it cringy. Good fun.

More sad about every episode discussion very quickly devolving into 'nobody cares about these characters because Moffat can't write and RTD was way better/RTD sucked ass and Moffat is the better writer'.

I personally prefer Moffat, but both are great tv writers with very different strengths (and I think the strengths of both of them lead to their biggest weaknesses as well: RTD's knack for writing strong emotional pieces often lead to overly sappy moments and fuzzy, on-the-fly plotting, and Moffat's strenght for clever plots and jokes can lead to needlessly complex storylines that don't always pan out - but at the same time both writers are able to create some very impressive television). After all this time it just gets very tiring to endlessly go after the current showrunner and pine longingly for the previous one, almost like he was forced out and Moffat stole his job. I swear, some of you guys are spoiling this show for yourselves by going into each episode with your 'I hate Moffat'-hats on.

Not saying criticism shouldn't be allowed, but some people have very narrow views of what this show should be. The tone of the show shifting every couple of seasons is what made it a classic over the decades, and nobody has experimented with that during their own run as much as Moffat. I think he should be commended for that.

Anyway, very solid season so far. Very excited to see what future stories will do with the tone they've established so far.

Boem

Ok, it was a bit better on the second watch. But the baby shit was still stupid.

I really didn't like the episode that introduced the baby-talk, but I could excuse it here just because of Jenna's delivery of the 'He...speaks baby'-line, almost like she was apologizing to the vikings.

Both Jenna and Capaldi keep getting better in their roles. Capaldi really is on fire this season. He really owns the role now - my friends and me keep admiring the fact that he's basically a cross between Tom Baker, Doc Brown from Back to the Future and Rick from Rick and Morty.

I really didn't like the episode that introduced the baby-talk, but I could excuse it here just because of Jenna's delivery of the 'He...speaks baby'-line, almost like she was apologizing to the vikings.

I didn't mind it in A Good Man Goes to War, because it was treated as a dumb joke, and there was always the possibility that the Doctor was just making the whole thing up. Wasn't a fan of it being used seriously here though.

I don't remember if Closing Time play it seriously at any point though.

Blader

Eh, didn't really care for that episode. Story felt very messy even in just the first 20 minutes, and the explanation for the Doctor's face seemed totally shoehorned in. The Doctor took Pompeii Capaldi's face as a subconscious reminder to himself to always save people? But doesn't he do that already? I didn't even mind that explanation that much, but it felt like there was a huge disconnect between that 'revelation' and saving Arya.

tomtom94

I didn't mind it in A Good Man Goes to War, because it was treated as a dumb joke, and there was always the possibility that the Doctor was just making the whole thing up. Wasn't a fan of it being used seriously here though.

IIRC Closing Time mostly plays it for laughs (Stormageddon and so on). I can't remember if it factors into the whole business when he's trying to get through to Craig right at the end.

Roussow

It's cool that they showed a shot of Capaldi in Pompeii, I admire an attempt to justify that previous appearance, however now the Torchwood role makes even less sense.

D_prOdigy

I rarely feel compelled to post in here solely to disagree to people, but I am surprised at just how many people seemed to dislike this one so much.

I liked the set-up and the period; Doctor gotta save Viking village from aliens. Nice and self-contained.

I really liked Maisie Williams. She's always very watchable, and I liked Ashildr.

It was full of good humour. Capaldi continues to nail the best lines ("farmers, fishermen, web designers..."), and the fearsome alien warmongers being reduced to essentially bumbling cowards was very Who.

I guess I just don't see what was hate-worthy about it.

tomtom94

It's cool that they showed a shot of Capaldi in Pompeii, I admire an attempt to justify that previous appearance, however now the Torchwood role makes even less sense.

Unless as people have theorised the Doctor got the interpretation wrong, although I can't help but feel that Moffat attempting to guilt-trip the Doctor over Children of Earth would be a continuity nod too far.

Boem

IIRC Closing Time mostly plays it for laughs (Stormageddon and so on). I can't remember if it factors into the whole business when he's trying to get through to Craig right at the end.

Ah right, I forgot he did that in Good Man Goes to War as well, I was thinking of Closing Time. I liked the former episode, didn't care at all for Closing Time.

As for the previous faces-explanation - that was a bit awkward in this episode. On the one hand I like that it's not a big, complex storyline, but I don't think it was needed here - my girlfriend was extremely confused by that scene because she didn't get at all why they suddenly showed Tennant there. It's fine for us fans, but for more casual viewers I think that was a pretty baffling moment. I think it would have worked better if they just ignored it, like they did with his Torchwood appearance and Colin Baker's Time Lord guard role.

Roussow

Unless as people have theorised the Doctor got the interpretation wrong, although I can't help but feel that Moffat attempting to guilt-trip the Doctor over Children of Earth would be a continuity nod too far.

That could pay off, actually. If the real reason he picked that face was to remind him of Frobisher's tragic demise -- rather than the Pompeii characters savior. I mean that last Children of Earth episode starts with Gwen monolingual about "how sometimes the Doctor must look at this planet and turn away in disgust", I'm paraphrasing here, but it would be a fantastic call back, I'm assuming that's what you mean't by the theory.

Unfortunately I think it's a little too inside-baseball to be a core plot point, or anything crucial to the Massie Williams characters arc.

Razmos

About as much sense as Gwen showing up in Victorian England before joining the Torchwood team. The Doctor even recognizes her, lol.

hamchan

Twelve took the face of John Frobisher to remind himself never to murder his wife, kids and then kill himself. An important lesson.

Magwik

Banned
Well I just got my own hopes up for what could happen
The Doctor was aware of what was happening during Children of Earth, but chose not to help. The face is a reminded to not interfere with with certain events (Children of Earth) instead of just do whatever the fuck he wants (Pompeii).

Roussow

About as much sense as Gwen showing up in Victorian England before joining the Torchwood team. The Doctor even recognizes her, lol.

We can't retcon everything,
but we can recton Frobisher.

Twelve took the face of John Frobisher to remind himself never to murder his wife, kids and then kill himself. An important lesson.

Huh... this is falling apart the more I think about it.

He goes to UNIT in an episode's time. He could well learn about Frobisher's existence there.

Boem

I always hoped the Frobisher explanation would involve the first Frobisher, the shape shifting penguin companion from the 6th Doctor comics.

Sixth07.jpg

Didn't RTD say in an interview or something that he liked to think that Frobisher was a descendant of Caecilius and that his death was history catching up with him, or at least I think I read that somewhere. He doesn't have to have anything to do with the Doctor at all.

Top Bottom