• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Wish they'd
leave this shit alone. Gallifrey is shite. Awful. It's a pair of concrete shoes for the narrative 90% of the time. I hope this is all a red herring and he's left distraught about missing it again at the end of the series.

Or they have him find Gallifrey, return it to normal space, then ban him from ever returning for what he did. It would be better to resolve it now than leave it dangling. They're going to have to deal with what was established in Day of the Doctor at some point.

Razmos

I wonder if they resolve Clara's situation before the two part finale?
It really sounds to me like Episode 10 is going to be Clara's final episode, with her perhaps making one more appearance in episode 12 as a goodbye

Also didn't they say we would see the Day of the Doctor from the 12th Doctor's perspective this series?

This might be about
what led to the 12th Doctor appearing in the 50th special when all the Doctors are surrounding Gallifrey for the calculation thing,
but who knows.

This is more likely, I think. Moffat said that they don't want to bring Gallifrey back for a long, long time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The best thing about it is the level of detail. Look at the First Doctor's TARDIS

WVW69ijnC8YxEcSHi_

The back walls are clearly cloth, just like the set. There's also the crack in the universe in the Eleventh Doctor's TARDIS. Ten has his spare hand in the jar. Lots of small things :)

This just makes me want a true LEGO Doctor Who game as I can't really afford to be spending all that money on the Dimensions reader and sets.

Schrodinger's Osgood !

Emergency Awesome has a theory that the 5 months thing is about how Doctor had to delete the memory of everyone in that room SO MANY TIMES to get it right that lots of time passed

He completely missed the point of Osgood. Osgood is as Osgood does. It's the whole point of the story. The idea that it would be not so bad if the Zygon Osgood died and terrible if the human Osgood died runs against the story quite blatantly.

As for wiping everyone's memories, he said to Kate something like "Yeah, that's what you've said for the last 15 times." That line is clearly a joke.

I don't think it's that clear. I think at least I take seriously the notion that he was prepared to rerun the scenario as many times as it took to get Bonnie to absorb the key insight. But the idea that she grasped it without the need for reruns also works.

Altairre

A few questions to all the smart Dr Who people in here: I want to jump back into this series but I don't really know where. The last time I watched up until the third episode of season 4 (Planet of the Ood). However I cannot stand Donna and didn't much care for the first three episodes in general so I stopped. Should I just slog through the rest of it? Does it get better? Do I jump right to the next doctor or maybe the current one? Help me out here.

I cannot stand Donna

But she's the best companion?

Start at Season 5.

Donna goes away for a couple of the specials but she's back in a small part for Ten's two-part finale. I would recommend you watch that first if you can stomach Donna for just a little bit longer.

Edit: Actually, you should be watching the Silence in the Library two-parter first. That's a must since it features River Song.

So:

Silence in the Library Two Parter
Midnight (Donna lite and one of RTD's best.)
Waters of Mars (Yeah, might as well and no Donna)
End of Time Part 1 & 2 for Ten's finale.
Season 5

Edit 2: Meh. You kind of need the Journey's End two parter to know what is going on with Donna in End of Time. Fuck it. Watch them all.

mclem

A few questions to all the smart Dr Who people in here: I want to jump back into this series but I don't really know where. The last time I watched up until the third episode of season 4 (Planet of the Ood). However I cannot stand Donna and didn't much care for the first three episodes in general so I stopped. Should I just slog through the rest of it? Does it get better? Do I jump right to the next doctor or maybe the current one? Help me out here.

If you've got that far I'd finish off Tennant's run, I think; there's some useful groundlaying for the future in it. If you must skip, as was suggested above, you really should watch the Library two-parter and maybe Waters of Mars and The End Of Time to set the scene for the transition. If you really can't stomach that at all, Smith's run is designed as a new entry point and it's very effective at being that.

season 5. episode 1.

Altairre

But she's the best companion?

Start at Season 5.

Donna goes away for a couple of the specials but she's back in a small part for Ten's two-part finale. I would recommend you watch that first if you can stomach Donna for just a little bit longer.

Edit: Actually, you should be watching the Silence in the Library two-parter first. That's a must since it features River Song.

So:

Silence in the Library Two Parter
Midnight (Donna lite and one of RTD's best.)
Waters of Mars (Yeah, might as well and no Donna)
End of Time Part 1 & 2 for Ten's finale.
Season 5

Edit 2: Meh. You kind of need the Journey's End two parter to know what is going on with Donna in End of Time. Fuck it. Watch them all.

I binged the first three seasons at that time so it was probably a combination of me burning out and me not liking her very much. Maybe it won't be as bad now that it's been a while. I'll probably try to continue from where I left off then and if I can't get into it I'll watch the important ones to get to season 5 as quickly as possible. Thanks guys.

I binged the first three seasons at that time so it was probably a combination of me burning out and me not liking her very much. Maybe it won't be as bad now that it's been a while. I'll probably try to continue from where I left off then and if I can't get into it I'll watch the important ones to get to season 5 as quickly as possible. Thanks guys.

I didn't like her at first and really loved her by the end of her run. Keep going.

Razmos

It would be absolutely criminal to not watch Turn Left. And even if you don't like Donna at first she definitely grows into a good companion by the end of the series.

It's only one series, just power through it, series 4 was awesome. Turn Left and Midnight being absolute stand out amazing, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead setting events up for the next 2 or 3 seasons

Ophelion

I'd just slog through it. Some of them are better than others, but Companion Donna is ultimately a much more interesting a fulfilling character than Runaway Bride Donna.

Her part in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead alone made her time on the show worthwhile.

So, Michael Pickwoad the production designer's been chatting to Radio Free Skaro, and has shed some light on what's going on next year.

In short, not a lot, in terms of broadcast. In fact, just a Christmas special.

Essentially, he expects to start work in February or March, with filming starting in May. That's a start of filming that's four months later than we've had the past two years. On top of that, he outright says that he's not expecting more than a Christmas special next year. It seems all set up for next year's Christmas special to essentially kick the series off, with the main series being ready for shortly afterwards.

Seeing "basically no Who in 2016" stings a little, admittedly, but I think this is an unambiguous, unabashed good for the programme as a whole. Doctor Who gets to move out of the battlefield of Autumn Saturday night to a position where it can basically have the BBC schedules to itself- even The Voice will have left the channel by then!- while still having the dark nights. I've been calling for a move like this for months, and it's a rare attack of common sense on the BBC schedulers' behalf if it's indeed true.

tomtom94

Sounds like terrible organization and management for Doctor Who to miss a year.

It absolutely is, regardless of the spin. That said, I do think this will do Who good as a whole, if nothing else because a year out of the public consciousness might help to renew positive memories (and putting it back where it belongs won't hurt)

mclem

Seeing "basically no Who in 2016" stings a little, admittedly, but I think this is an unambiguous, unabashed good for the programme as a whole. Doctor Who gets to move out of the battlefield of Autumn Saturday night to a position where it can basically have the BBC schedules to itself- even The Voice will have left the channel by then!- while still having the dark nights. I've been calling for a move like this for months, and it's a rare attack of common sense on the BBC schedulers' behalf if it's indeed true.

I wonder if this means going from The Voice complementing Doctor Who to The Voice competing with Doctor Who, though. That's a worry. I'm assuming BGT and X Factor are going to stay entrenched in their usual spots for a while, which would suggest that The Voice might go out at the same time of year but on the other side.

Blader

Damn, only one special for next year then? From Christmas to Christmas is one hell of a wait.

But if they're still going to start shooting next year, would that theoretically give a year of lead time for Moffat's successor?

Damn, only one special for next year then? From Christmas to Christmas is one hell of a wait.

But if they're still going to start shooting next year, would that theoretically give a year of lead time for Moffat's successor?

Well, we know that Moffat's doing series 10, but we also know that he was only recently signed up to it at all- he was writing this year's Christmas special with a view to it being his last episode. This may well give the BBC a bit more time to find his successor, if indeed he is going to be replaced after series 10, because all the indications are that the BBC doesn't have anyone they're confident with yet.

Honestly, I'd give it to Harness quick as you like, but given the last thing on his CV is the mega-flop Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell I can see why they're hesitant.

Wow, DWM are REALLY struggling to find anything they're allowed to promote the finale with, aren't they?

tomtom94

Honestly, I'd give it to Harness quick as you like, but given the last thing on his CV is the mega-flop Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell I can see why they're hesitant.

That flopped? :( I thought it was extremely well-received, certainly critically.

EDIT: Also, Harness ain't getting a showrunning gig if he's got no production experience. I'd be happy with him as a Spooks-esque lead writer, personally, but I doubt Who will adopt that production model.

That flopped? :( I thought it was extremely well-received, certainly critically.

It was critically adored (and I thought it was brilliant) but the viewing figures were very poor.

Honestly, British audiences seem to have gone off fantasy a lot over the past few years. Game of Thrones is the only success story, and it's still niche as hell over here.

Strange and Norrell pissed me off because it was a parody of the kind of science history drama that I'd rather be watching. Who wants make believe when you could see real people discovering with ingenuity how the world really works? I can't fault the adaption, though.

VegiHam

Doctor Who Easter 2016 Special: Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith recreate Big Finish plays from memory down the pub while having a few pints; recorded over a leisurely Good Friday afternoon.

Goldrush

That quote...I hope we have a Clara-centric episode where she goes full-on Doctor before she goes. We kinda have one last series, but she seems to be restricted to "follow the leader" since then.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Watch the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead two-parter, then just go straight into season 5.

I am going to miss her.

Same. :/

Rymuth

Capaldi killed it with that speech, it's too bad the episode (and indeed, the whole storyline) was middling at best.

mclem

Doctor Who Easter 2016 Special: Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith recreate Big Finish plays from memory down the pub while having a few pints; recorded over a leisurely Good Friday afternoon.

Anything to get Sheridan Smith on the telly incarnation.

Top Bottom