• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I'm gonna miss her. Her character was very often not done any real favors, and just when it seemed like she would have her own motivations shown to us and made to feel real, we'd instead just be told what she is and how she works, and it'd dull her back up again. But there are more than a few episodes, and more than a few moments in those episodes, where the potential of Clara Oswald as a character was allowed to shine, and Coleman's portrayal became the endearing, emotional, funny piece of work it was always meant to be.

Quick

Banned
Jenna Coleman was fantastic in the role. Despite the seemingly up-and-down quality in writing, she's always on point. Series 8 was great for Clara's development, and I think it's where Jenna's acting shined the most.

I have fond memories of Clara.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I'm gonna miss her. Her character was very often not done any real favors, and just when it seemed like she would have her own motivations shown to us and made to feel real, we'd instead just be told what she is and how she works, and it'd dull her back up again. But there are more than a few episodes, and more than a few moments in those episodes, where the potential of Clara Oswald as a character was allowed to shine, and Coleman's portrayal became the endearing, emotional, funny piece of work it was always meant to be.

I think it was in one of her first interviews about the show, Coleman was asked what her character would bring to the show, and she just said "fun". I think she accomplished that. She never really got the chance to fully realise her own character, but she was a lot of fun.

And just for fun, her series announcement:

Speaking about her new role and starring alongside Matt Smith, 25-year-old Coleman said: "I'm beyond excited, I can't wait to get cracking; working alongside Matt I know is going to be enormous fun and a huge adventure."

Speaking about why he chose Coleman, the show's boss Steven Moffat said: "It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the Tardis."

He continued: "It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

tumblr_m1cp292uAe1r9zeo4o1_540.jpg

Razmos

I definitely think Clara would have been a boring and less likeable character, were it not for Jenna's acting talents. I don't think I liked her as much as I did Rose, or Amy or Donna, but she she is by far the best acted. I thought it more or less made up for the bad writing regarding her character. But oh what could have been if the writing had been as consistent as her acting.

She's definitely an actress who I am going to see advertised for something else in the future and say "Hey, I like her"

Blader

I think it was in one of her first interviews about the show, Coleman was asked what her character would bring to the show, and she just said "fun". I think she accomplished that. She never really got the chance to fully realise her own character, but she was a lot of fun.

This is why the complaints about her rarely clicked with me.

"We don't know who Clara is! What does she do for living? What's her family like? What does she tell her friends as an excuse when she's off with the Doctor?"

Who cares? She was a fun, funny, sharp companion who always kept up with the Doctor and traded equally in banter and drama. Her personality and chemistry with both Smith and Capaldi were far more important to me than whatever her home life is like. And it certainly helps that Jenna is, alongside Tate and Darvill, one of the best companion actors of the past decade.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's a nice touch that Rigsy is back, as Flatline was one of the best for Clara.

Should make for some good scenes.

Carl2291

The best thing about Clara leaving, is that we're really gonna get to see Capaldi lose his shit.

I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Beyond excited.

Let's not forget Clara's best moment;

"I don't know where I am. It's like I'm breaking into a million pieces and there's only one thing I remember; I have to save The Doctor."

Such an amazing opener to an episode. If the last thing she says is "Run you clever boy.." I'll cry. Hopefully it's better than Amy and Rory's exit, but again I notice they've allocated a single-parter to it :\

The best thing about Clara leaving, is that we're really gonna get to see Capaldi lose his shit.

I'm not sure I'm ready for it. Beyond excited.

"You gave me hope and took it away. That would drive anybody mad, god knows what it'll do to me."

The show's fallen back on gimmicks really, the sonic sunglasses, the guitar, and yes the 2-parters which have hindered the stories more than helping them. Even the cue-cards, which before was an ever present aspect of his personality and part of the stories in his relationship with Clara, just appeared for a joke and then this supposed side of him completely disappeared again.

Spoke too soon Deck'ard :p

Magwik

Banned
I really hope this is all (spoiler based off of snyopsis for future episodes)
Rassilon's master plan of continuing to be a dick to the doctor

I'm liking this episode.

Though I can't imagine the Doctor wouldn't notice the tattoo is gone from Rigby's neck.

I sort of think he has. There was a shot which he could have seen when they were on the street.

Edit: Well I was fucking wrong. I couldn't get that more wrong.

Top Bottom