• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Stuart444

I was honestly expecting them to back out of killing her. I honestly did. Some cheesy save at the last second...

;_;

Also Angry Capaldi is awesome. He's such a good actor.

I enjoyed the episode, it was very good.

Razmos

almost-crying.gif

Misdirection circuit misdirection reveal before the end of season! Clara is alive, but no one is looking for her

It's still in play but I hope they don't back out on this death. It works perfectly with Clara's character. It's the type of situation I would expect she would put herself into.

Vanguard

"But I strongly advise you to keep out of my way. You'll find that it's a very small universe when I'm angry with you."

Nearly got damn chills with the way he delivered that.

mclem

A quick note, for people who try to avoid 'next time' trailers: The *first* scene after the credits is, I believe, a post-credits scene for this episode, nothing to do with next week's.

I loved the little scene before the next time trailer with Rigsy leaving a memorial on the TARDIS. Really great episode, one of my favourites of this series for sure. RIP Clara, you and your glorious sweater will be missed.

mr-paul

Clara :(

I'll miss her, for sure. Great episode. Who do we reckon has made a deal for the Doctor? I'm thinking time lords, or looping back to the beginning of the series and Davros being behind it? And when is this "hybrid" stuff going to come into play?

Yeah I guessed the ending here was a bit obvious from the start, but damn it was a great episode. Capaldi is immense in serious roles and it was great to see the anger in his eyes, someone will pay a heavy price now that the Doctor is pissed.

Almost in tears at the Clara/Doctor scene. And then almost again with Rigsy's tribute.

I can understand the Doctor's anger - thinking about it, while Rose/Martha/Donna/Amy all had sad endings, they all lived in their own way. This would be the first companion death in how long? At least since the Time War in terms of what matters to New Who - and it's been hundreds of Doctor years. Also considering what she's done for him, revenge Doctor makes a lot of sense.

I don't think there'll be a cheat out. Maybe as cameo, but not a proper cheat out. But that goodbye felt like it could have been final.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
He definitely went Malcom Tucker near the end there. Fantastic.

If that's the end of Clara, then I'll be happy with it. No "actually she's alive and happy ever after" bullshit. Preferably would have liked a longer goodbye, but still.

I'll miss her, for sure. Great episode. Who do we reckon has made a deal for the Doctor? I'm thinking time lords, or looping back to the beginning of the series and Davros being behind it? And when is this "hybrid" stuff going to come into play?
The answers genuinely out there with synopsis. Don't go looking.

It's still in play but I hope they don't back out on this death. It works perfectly with Clara's character. It's the type of situation I would expect to put herself into.

This is too final... it needs to be open ended. I like what Moffat does, but everything he does is open ended. Why stop now!

A-V-B

Almost in tears at the Clara/Doctor scene. And then almost again with Rigsy's tribute.

I can understand the Doctor's anger - thinking about it, while Rose/Martha/Donna/Amy all had sad endings, they all lived in their own way. This would be the first companion death in how long? At least since the Time War in terms of what matters to New Who - and it's been hundreds of Doctor years.

Try over a thousand! And in nearly all of that time, Clara has been his companion. He hasn't had a new one since he was ~1200 years old.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Time Lords is my guess, or just one Time Lord with Missy.

MouldyK

I woulda thought either Maisie or The Doctor woulda saw that Rigsby didn't have it...I mean the Doctor did have enough time to look at the back of his head.

I kinda knew Maisie was up to no good, so the twist was like "Eh".

Clara probably knew she was going to die, so chose that sweater to get people to like her.

The reason for her death was also a bit contrived. I mean even if I didn't know she was going to die, the way she kept going "I'ma be safe, yo!" might aswell have been her slapping her head on the chopping board.

I don't think we needed so many camera shots of her dying since they didn't add any emotional value and instead wasted time since we barely got any time to mourn her before Capaldi went all Ivan Drago on us.

Drago.png

It was decent...better than last week's by far.

Try over a thousand! And in nearly all of that time, Clara has been his companion. He hasn't had a new one since he was ~1200 years old.

That's a good point. Although for a great deal of that time he wasn't traveling with her. I still wonder if they will play on that.

VegiHam

Uh, wow. That was really, really good. Damn good last episode for Clara. Felt as out of nowhere for us as it did for the Doctor; rather than being an Amy-esque long dramatic goodbye; especially cus we haven't had any false Clara exits yet.

Love how they worked in the recklessness and the trying to be the Doctor stuff too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Forgot all about him, but was Ashildr's immortal buddy in this episode somewhere and I missed it, or should I probably assume his absence is leading to something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A mixed bag for me.

The good: decent enough setup, mystery was interesting. Sad to see Clara go (I know many of you weren't fond of her), but it was at least done quickly rather than really stretching it out. Also the foreshadowing across the series with Clara slowly becoming more reckless and doctor-ish, all nearly wrapped up with her being hoist by her own petard.

However - and I realise this comes down to plot armour etc - it seemed such a technicality to go out on. The sort of scrape the doctor always has an answer for, only this time it is absolute. I think that's a failing of just how un-absolute things are in the Who universe. Maisy seems happy to remove the chronolock(?) from the earlier person, yet suddenly there is a gotcha in the small print? That just fell flat to me.

Genuinely upsetting seeing her go. But fantastic episode and looking foward to the final two episodes.

Episode 12 Spoilers:

Considering Jenna is on the cast list for Hell Bent, I'm curious to see where this goes.

mr-paul

A mixed bag for me.

The good: decent enough setup, mystery was interesting. Sad to see Clara go (I know many of you weren't fond of her), but it was at least done quickly rather than really stretching it out. Also the foreshadowing across the series with Clara slowly becoming more reckless and doctor-ish, all nearly wrapped up with her being hoist by her own petard.

However - and I realise this comes down to plot armour etc - it seemed such a technicality to go out on. The sort of scrape the doctor always has an answer for, only this time it is absolute. I think that's a failing of just how un-absolute things are in the Who universe. Maisy seems happy to remove the chronolock(?) from the earlier person, yet suddenly there is a gotcha in the small print? That just fell flat to me.

Yeah, I kinda didn't get that. It supposedly couldn't be stopped, only passed on, apart from when Arya Stark had made a deal with someone for the Doctor that she'd included Riggsy in the bargaining - and somehow would've been able to stop the unbreakable curse? Will have to watch it again to catch fully what was said.

Couldn't have she absorbed it off Clara, and then come back to life with her immortal life thing? Or was it too magical for that?

She's got to come into play somehow in the finale.

MouldyK

Genuinely upsetting seeing her go. But fantastic episode and looking foward to the final two episodes.

Episode 12 Spoilers:

Considering Jenna is on the cast list for Hell Bent, I'm curious to see where this goes.

And we ain't seen her in the diner outfit yet, have we?!

95769590f838bac1ce584e87ff276318.jpg

Maybe they'll make that part a bit less rushed and more emtoional.

Razmos

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a touching goodbye scene. Maybe she was a waitress briefly before she meets the Doctor, and he sits in the diner to see her one last time, and by the time they have travelled together and he regenerates into 12 she has forgotten meeting him.

Top Bottom