• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Blader

A mixed bag for me.

The good: decent enough setup, mystery was interesting. Sad to see Clara go (I know many of you weren't fond of her), but it was at least done quickly rather than really stretching it out. Also the foreshadowing across the series with Clara slowly becoming more reckless and doctor-ish, all nearly wrapped up with her being hoist by her own petard.

However - and I realise this comes down to plot armour etc - it seemed such a technicality to go out on. The sort of scrape the doctor always has an answer for, only this time it is absolute. I think that's a failing of just how un-absolute things are in the Who universe. Maisy seems happy to remove the chronolock(?) from the earlier person, yet suddenly there is a gotcha in the small print? That just fell flat to me.

It's the kind of thing the Doctor can get himself out of after getting himself in it. But Clara got herself in this.

no point in announcing a new companion now if we won't see them until 2017

They'll have to announce it the moment it's actually cast and they start doing readthroughs and stuff as it'll leak immediately. Every previous companion change was announced before the previous lot had left. The only one that came a bit late was Donna because they really tried hard to keep it secret because Martha leaving right away was a key component of the Series 3 finale, but even that got out ahead of time.

The only difference here is that River is filling the slot for Christmas and filming on the next actual series is significantly delayed, it seems, so we won't find out 'til a few months into next year, I guess. When they do it'll be the same old - out of character photo shoot in front of the TARDIS with Capaldi, etc. Capaldi has given hints at what he 'wants' it to be (he said he'd like a working class character like Rose, basically), and I doubt he'd make those comments to the press if he didn't already know Moffat was going down that path.

The mention of the will is bugging me, can't work out whether the Davros story should come before or after this one.

Before surely, since the Doctor ended that story with the confession dial in his possession. He either sent it to Missy from a later point, or someone else sent it to Missy pretending to be him.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Before surely, since the Doctor ended that story with the confession dial in his possession. He either sent it to Missy from a later point, or someone else sent it to Missy pretending to be him.

I couldn't remember the details enough, it just seemed odd for her to know for some reason.

Just trying to find an explanation for why this episode was pulling on themes that hadn't been seen since series 8 apart from just being a lot better written I guess.

M.Bluth

I couldn't remember the details enough, it just seemed odd for her to know for some reason.
Not sure what you mean. The person who contracted Ashildar to trick the Doctor knows he has it, and since it seems they want it, they'll obviously let her know to make sure he has it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not sure what you mean. The person who contracted Ashildar to trick the Doctor knows he has it, and since it seems they want it, they'll obviously let her know to make sure he has it.

Yeah, ignore me I'm overthinking. Timey wimey stuff hurts my head anyway.

bengraven

Damn, my girl Clara died in Diagon Alley.

Looked beautiful going out, though. I think I cried more during the Amy goodbye, though. Punk ass Doctor Who thinking I'm going to cry, bitch, please.

Sigh.

I'm not convinced Clara's properly dead, tbh.
She didn't get shanked or vaporized or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if her "soul" did something.

"just strap her to the same spaceship as Aldric was in and blow them the fuck up"

- Doctor Who companion-exit writer's guide

other than that, considering we already pointed out this was a recurring pattern of this season, if would be somewhat arbitrary if this was final without much essential finality to it. I mean, I did not have the impression that the earlier 'deaths' were a consequence of taking risks, in particular the first one with the extermination. That said, it will probably be
made final anyway since there is a good chance we've been seeing events in reverse, with the Beethovens and mercy, judge of time, and so on. Like reversed temporal engineering really, or the doctor trying to make amends of some kind

Malcolm Tucker Doctor needs to happen though. Season 10: We've fucking time-travelled, yes? (for real this time)

MrHoot

Malcolm Tucker Doctor needs to happen though. Season 10: We've fucking time-travelled, yes? (for real this time)

I've been waiting for that to happen and still extremely frustrated it hasn't, although there are FINALLY glimpses of it at the end of this ep.

I want the reins off the doctor. I want the writers to actually use Capaldi for the great actor that he is. He seems toned down since his first appearance for me

A mixed bag for me.

The good: decent enough setup, mystery was interesting. Sad to see Clara go (I know many of you weren't fond of her), but it was at least done quickly rather than really stretching it out. Also the foreshadowing across the series with Clara slowly becoming more reckless and doctor-ish, all nearly wrapped up with her being hoist by her own petard.

However - and I realise this comes down to plot armour etc - it seemed such a technicality to go out on. The sort of scrape the doctor always has an answer for, only this time it is absolute. I think that's a failing of just how un-absolute things are in the Who universe. Maisy seems happy to remove the chronolock(?) from the earlier person, yet suddenly there is a gotcha in the small print? That just fell flat to me.
This is how I felt / feel, and it really undercut the tremendous performances by Capaldi & Coleman.
Bloody hell, they're fantastic together and it's upsetting not to get more of it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would have quite liked Rigsy as a companion. Wasn't as much room to explore it in this as Flatline, but I liked the dynamic of him and the Doctor.

Sort of fatherly, would have been a nice change.

Quick

Banned
CLARA WHY

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Edit: Capaldi's "The Doctor isn't here right now" and going HAM on Ashildr is brilliant. BUT CLARA WHY.

Guys, what if River is the next companion? The Doctor and his missus shacking up...

I have high hopes in regards to how Capaldi and Kingston will play off eachother. So I wouldn't mind that if it's as good as I hope it is.

Moffat's comments about the tone of the Christmas special at the Doctor Who Convention last week in the UK suggest to me it's unlikely... plus, I imagine they'll want to go with somebody particularly young again now they have an older Doctor. I wouldn't call this spoilery, because Moffat was comfortable to say it in front of a crowd of fans and it ended up in the following day's newspapers here in the UK, but here's what he said about the River/Doctor relationship/setup at Christmas summarized in tags if you're interested:

The Christmas special was described as having a 'rom-com' style tone. River doesn't recognize the Doctor, because this is the one incarnation that falls outside of her time stream. River's going around flirting with and kissing other people, and the Doctor is chasing her around trying to earn her affections and trying to prove to her that he is who he claims he is.

Here's Moffat/Capaldi's actual comments as made at the event:
"That's how the Christmas special begins,” showrunner Steven Moffat revealed to fans at the London Doctor Who Festival, “she doesn't know it's him.”
“It's an opportunity for the Doctor to find out the terrible truth: what his wife gets up to when he's not looking,” Moffat cackled. “No one should ever go through that!"
“It is not the most Christmassy Doctor Who ever… but it is a funny, fast madcap chase episode - with the doctor being chased and also chasing River.”

Capaldi:
“It is a lighthearted fun thing River doesn’t recognise the Doctor and he gets upset because she is flirting and doing all sort of stuff with people."
"“She simply cannot be persuaded that he is the former Matt Smith/David Tennant/Christopher Eccleston - so there is lots of kissing, but not between River and the doctor!"

Also here's another fun fact about the River thing from the same panel:
Moffat revealed: “Russell said ‘you’ve got to bring her back - she has got to be together with Capaldi - it will be a sex storm.’

Cheers, RTD. From beyond the grave!

Quick

Banned
Just finished.

CLARA NOOOOOOOO.

MY EMOTIONS.

doctors-doomsday.gif

raining_david_tennant.gif

tumblr_nrqkb3tX2f1uagck1o4_250.gif

tumblr_inline_nlqqd6p6v91t9vw51.gif

76e21ac9c5f03e25a1f390bb0cb2f9e0420987d5_hq.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fuck... that was heart-rending.

And now the wait for next week begins.
If she's really dead that is

Johndoey

Banned
Can someone remind me which episode Rigsy is from? I can't place him. The actor for Rigsy did a great job with the little he had to do. I don't know how I feel about death via smoke raven or the events leading up to the death.
The explanation for why she couldn't get rid of the lock feel weak. The death speech was pretty good though. I like the little scene of him painting the mural at the end.

Flatline.
Thanks.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can someone remind me which episode Rigsy is from? I can't place him. The actor for Rigsy did a great job with the little he had to do. I don't know how I feel about death via smoke raven or the events leading up to the death.
The explanation for why she couldn't get rid of the lock feel weak. The death speech was pretty good though. I like the little scene of him painting the mural at the end.

Flatline.

Kinsei

Banned
That episode would have been a lot better had it aired a year or two ago when I still cared about Clara.

Can't wait to find out who the new companion will be.

Blues1990

I don't know why the current Doctor cared about Clara going the way she did, given that he adopted a less caring attitude and a more hostile nature. I thought he was going to shrug & say "Oh, well. That's that, I guess.", rather than what had happened.

Effect

I really, really, really wish that had more of an emotional impact but it really didn't. I felt the same way Clara the way I felt with Rose. Relief that someone new will be coming. I didn't have that feeling at all with Martha and Donna. I wanted more of them. Even when they showed back up I still wanted more and it wasn't because our time with them was limited. They were just really good characters in their own right. I wanted more of them. Amy and Rory were an emotional gut punch for me. I didn't want them to go but felt it was good ride. That being said Rose's departure (both) still got me more.

I feel Clara over stayed. This is not on Jenna Coleman either as I think she's a really good actress. It's what they did with Clara. They should have had her go off and be happy with Danny when they had the chance. Her purpose as the Impossible Girl was over. We found out the mystery of her. With Capaldi she helped remind him who he was as the Doctor and helped to introduce him.

I do like that her recklessness bite her in the ass though. It was her fault and it's been building. The entire setup makes sense and as an overall episode I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to next week a lot. At the same time I understand what they were trying to go for but it did nothing for me emotionally.

Quick

Banned
I don't know why the current Doctor cared about Clara going the way she did, given that he adopted a less caring attitude and a more hostile nature. I thought he was going to shrug & say "Oh, well. That's that, I guess.", rather than what had happened.

Have you been watching the show since Capaldi took over?

The Doctor and Clara's separation and later reconcile?

His effort in being less cold?

Well that was certainly something.

I was half expecting Clara to grab onto the teleporter and then they would have next episode to sort it out as they tried to outrun the quantum shade.

hamchan

Farewell Clara and a decent death for her. Her being more reckless and becoming like the Doctor had to backfire at some point.

I love that Twelfth isn't a weepy mess like Tenth and Eleventh were when they lost companions but comes out of it with a burning rage inside him. Capaldi brings a lot in sequence initially showing his sadness and then great anger. He felt like a pretty scary figure by the end, someone who you don't mess with. Everyone acted this pretty well. Overall a good episode.

Also the plot is going into very interesting places. A solo Capaldi episode will be brilliant. Also having read the synopsis for the last episode already, this is all very interesting indeed. Pretty exciting to be going into the endgame of this season.

That death scene dragged on way too long. Left like zero impact for me. Plus I'm fully expecting her to come back in some form knowing moffat

I love that Twelfth isn't a weepy mess like Tenth and Eleventh were when they lost companions but comes out of it with a burning rage inside him. Capaldi brings a lot in sequence initially showing his sadness and then great anger. He felt like a pretty scary figure by the end, someone who you don't mess with. Everyone acted this pretty well. Overall a good episode.

In fairness, there's a pretty big difference between "can't see her again, but she's safe and with people she loves" and "dead", which I think would indicate the rage. There were a few occasions where previous Doctors thought, briefly, a companion had perished (but they actually hadn't), and they too were furious and not weepy.

PaulloDEC

That death scene dragged on way too long. Left like zero impact for me. Plus I'm fully expecting her to come back in some form knowing moffat

If you're talking about the actual death (as opposed to the scenes before inside the house), then yeah, seriously. Only real downside of the episode for me was watching Clara standing there with her arms out like a fool, screaming while nothing much seems to actually be happening.

ahhhhhhhhhhqfz74.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I never bought Tennant when he tried to be angry. Smith was hit and miss, but I think worked into it more as the show went on.

Eccleston was great at it, and Capaldi's ability to do it with a terrifying calmness to his voice is just amazing.

GSR

If you're talking about the actual death (as opposed to the scenes before inside the house), then yeah, seriously. Only real downside of the episode for me was watching Clara standing there with her arms out like a fool, screaming while nothing much seems to actually be happening.

Yeah, that was really bizarrely cut together. Robbed the moment of some impact.

Rest of the episode was on point, though. After a series of Clara feeling a bit wasted again, they finally brought things back around to her S8 self and it worked like a charm. Coleman knocked the farewell scene out of the park (she's been putting in work over the years - imagine if her scripts had always been up to this level!), and Capaldi was straight-up terrifying for a few moments there.

Assuming this death doesn't get retconned, it was a harsh (but thematically appropriate) way to go. One risk too many in an 'everyday' adventure and her luck finally ran out. I'm sure we'll get another exit scene in the finale, but for now, goodbye Clara.

bengraven

Agreed that the waling out to meet death part was weak. She was doing okay facing the Doctor. Should have had the Raven come through the window and take her out just as she said her final lines to him.

Shocked that she fell and he wasn't there to catch her body.

That bothers me a lot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Slow-mo death was a bit much.

Agreed that the waling out to meet death part was weak. She was doing okay facing the Doctor. Should have had the Raven come through the window and take her out just as she said her final lines to him.

Shocked that she fell and he wasn't there to catch her body.

That bothers me a lot.

I was actually expecting her to run head on at the Raven, not just stand there.

Saiyan-Rox

As companions go Amy and Rory were the only companions I actually cheered at when leaving. Amy ruined Matt smith IMO and he really started to shine when Clara came into it.

If it wasn't for the the very weird spin they put on clara's character last series I don't think there would be much hate for her? she;s my fave companion now from all the current ones with Rose being second then Donna, Martha and Amy/Rory

The amount of hate I have for Amy is just too great.

ahhhhhhhhhhqfz74.gif

All I could think of was vadernooooooo.gif rofl

Top Bottom