• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I...was looking at her sweater.

there were two stand-out images.

This

and this.
tumblr_ny6sfiiu5v1sw4g05o1_500.jpg

Vegito

Banned
I think next episode well finally see Capaldi play the doctor we've all been waiting to see. The dark, angry man who lost what was most precious to him. A man who is willing to do everything to get his friend back. Cant wait to see how Capaldi handles this.

Cat

I liked this episode better than the last three. The recklessness and convincing of Rigsy came off a little too easy and if I were directing the episode, I would not have drawn out the death with the repeated shots of the silent scream, maybe just one in slow motion.

Still, the episode overall held my interest in wanting to see what happened next and having my own suspicions of how it would all go down in the end. I cry easily but nonetheless, I cried with Clara's departure. And Capaldi going time lord victorious as I saw one or two posts say, definitely getting me near chills. The way he looked at Clara at times made me think he had a trick up his sleeve when he told her to stay with him, but I suppose not.

Anyway, overall good episode, I think, on first impression at least.

M.Bluth

It's not really a spoiler, she's on the front cover of Doctor Who magazine in the outfit, and it says finale preview. Would be a bit weird if it was just for a photoshoot.

CTYgVc6WIAEDAr7.jpg

Ok, so since this seems like it's an official thing, I assume we don't need to tag speculation on it, but might as well for now

I'm really curious what happens to get to this scene. I assume it might be Clara's actual last scene in the season.
What do you guys think? Is the Doctor gonna figure out a way to bring her back and she ends up working in that diner (I hope not)? A different Clara, a remnant of her Name of the Doctor act? I'm currently leaning towards her being from a time before she knew the Doctor, kinda like Rose and 10's last scene in End of Time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or is the background music ridiculously loud compared to the voice work?

Blues1990

Have you been watching the show since Capaldi took over?

The Doctor and Clara's separation and later reconcile?

His effort in being less cold?
I have. But when all is said & done, he always comes across as not giving a damn. The two past Doctors would've given a high-five to their respective companions when they done something brilliant. Not so much with the decrepit old owl, as he wouldn't acknowledge Clara if she was standing in front of him.

Is it just me or is the background music ridiculously loud compared to the voice work?

Three possibilities- It was badly mixed OR you're watching on cable TV, possibly SD. If the later, there's all sorts of shit being done to the sound (almost like FM radio). Or both.

Ophelion

I have. But when all is said & done, he always comes across as not giving a damn. The two past Doctors would've given a high-five to their respective companions when they done something brilliant. Not so much with the decrepit old owl, as he wouldn't acknowledge Clara if she was standing in front of him.

You don't understand him at all, then. Not giving a damn? He willingly walked into what he thought was going to be Hell at the end of last season for Clara. After she tried to stab him in the back. She's perhaps the one person in the universe the Twelfth Doctor has ever opened up to, the only person he loves (in his grumpy space-dad way.) He's ferociously protective of her.

Just because he doesn't pat her on the head and tell her she's a good girl doesn't mean he doesn't care about her. Might actually do the opposite as that is and was tremendously patronizing.

tomtom94

Loved the episode, loved the trailer, bit annoyed that Woman Who Lived is retroactively made worse as a result, wonder what they will do about Clara in the finale.

Trike

I wasn't a huge fan of the episode. Good to see Rigsy back, but even then he didn't really have that much to do. Clara's death was pretty stupid, drawn out, and badly edited. But I doubt she is really dead anyway, so we will see how things go by the end of this series.

Chariot

Wait, did that even really kill her? For some reason I have in the head that she is still savable, because she "faced the Raven". The "They always run, why do they always run" comment made me think that something about the running is especially bad. While I liked the small death of Clara dying trying to be the Doctor without being the Doctor, I have the feeling that this doesn't have enough pathos and epic for Moffat. I put my money on her coming back and dying in something much bigger.

Also: anyone else had to think or Rorschach when the Doctor gave his amazing: "The Doctor is not her, you're stuck with ME"-line?

Rymuth

So this is how it ends...not with the bang but a whimper.

Can't say I felt anything for Clara. Not because I don't like the character but because the death was stupid and strangely, pathetic.

The idea that Ashildur is 'saving the world from the Doctor' never rang true with me. Like most of Moffat's ideas, it sounds cool in ones head but the execution is always falls so flat.

I never bought Tennant when he tried to be angry. Smith was hit and miss, but I think worked into it more as the show went on.

Eccleston was great at it, and Capaldi's ability to do it with a terrifying calmness to his voice is just amazing.

He really was. I still think he's the most underrated of the newer series. Honestly, an angry doctor is way more interesting than sad/wimpy doctor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like that Moffat points out in the little Extra video that the Doctor can't really cast blame. It's not really Me's fault, and it's not really Rigsy's, and it's not really whoever wants him teleported. It's just a horrible accident done out of heroism. Which kinda makes it hurt more.

Of course. He's angry at the moment but if he wants to cast blame, he'll need to look at himself. The entire series has been Clara becoming more and more like the doctor, and more reckless. He let her. He'll blame himself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So this is how it ends...not with the bang but a whimper.

Can't say I felt anything for Clara. Not because I don't like the character but because the death was stupid and strangely, pathetic.

The idea that Ashildur is 'saving the world from the Doctor' never rang true with me. Like most of Moffat's ideas, it sounds cool in ones head but the execution is always falls so flat.

thinking about it, I quite like that she just died in a relatively ordinary way. Not to hordes of daleks or cybermen, just didn't check if the warranty was transferable.

Vegito

Banned
Did anyone else notice there was a bit where the doctor went outside and we didnt see what happened? it cuts back to Rigsy and Ashildr while the doctor is briefly outside with Clara's body. Coincidence?

I'm very sad to see Clara go; I thought Jenna and Capaldi had great chemistry together. But I'm also annoyed that the episode was so awkward; it wasn't a very fitting end for her. While it was interesting to see her fail because she thought she was as good as the Doctor, the episode was written so clumsily that much of the pathos was lost.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm very sad to see Clara go; I thought Jenna and Capaldi had great chemistry together. But I'm also annoyed that the episode was so awkward; it wasn't a very fitting end for her. While it was interesting to see her fail because she thought she was as good as the Doctor, the episode was written so clumsily that much of the pathos was lost.

The episode had to suddenly insert a series' worth of missing character development, while juggling a story and killing her, it was great writing. On a different level to the rest.

The only time Clara has seemed real this series instead of just being there, which brought out the best in Capaldi as well.

hamchan

thinking about it, I quite like that she just died in a relatively ordinary way. Not to hordes of daleks or cybermen, just didn't check if the warranty was transferable.

I like it too. She died a meaningless death because Rigsy was never in any real danger. She died because she was trying to be too clever but without the huge knowledge like the Doctor has.

So glad she didn't die by something epic like crashing a spaceship, since I already went through that with a Big Finish companion I really liked.

I'm going with Diner Clara being a Clara splinter he visits to help come to terms with it.

Because I'd like to think that MASSIVE aspect of the character would be referenced in some way...

"Remember that time I sacrificed myself and went into your time stream and became hundreds of different myselfs to save you?"

"No, no. Let's not talk about that right now..."

MrBadger

I would rather they don't mention the Clara splinters again because that storyline was pretty crappy and them referencing the fact that there are loads of Claras anyway would cheapen her death even more. Like how Osgood's death at this point has basically been cancelled out. I'm down for Diner Clara being a Clara from before it all started, like how Ten visits Rose.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would rather they don't mention the Clara splinters again because that storyline was pretty crappy and them referencing the fact that there are loads of Claras anyway would cheapen her death even more. Like how Osgood's death at this point has basically been cancelled out. I'm down for Diner Clara being a Clara from before it all started, like how Ten visits Rose.

No, I like the angle of it being Clara but not. The Doctor seeking comfort but her being oblivious to it.

Capaldi could knock that out the park.

Ringo

Why didn't the Doctor use a regeneration to save Clara?
Why didn't Mayor Me use her immortality to save Clara?
Why didn't Mayor Me use the reserve immortality device to revive Clara?

Anyhow, I found Clara's death hard to believe when there are so many outs in the same room.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Anyhow, I found Clara's death hard to believe when there are so many outs in the same room.

Sometimes plot armour has a weak spot

VAD

I wish they kept Jenna's departure secret, the end of the episode lost a bit of its impact because I already knew Clara would
die
. Angry Doctor is best Doctor though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

The reserve immortality chip was used on Sam Swift in The Woman Who Lived.

Glhct39.jpg

The episode had to suddenly insert a series' worth of missing character development, while juggling a story and killing her, it was great writing. On a different level to the rest.

The only time Clara has seemed real this series instead of just being there, which brought out the best in Capaldi as well.

I would literally define it as pulling a fitting ending to Clara out of their ass.

Haven't cried that much since Donna.

Also I think the drawn out was powerful because it kept me guessing right until she fell if she was actually going to die. I was convinced she was going to overcome it.

Beautiful episode.

Farwell Clara, the first companion to die on screen in NuWho.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I disagree. I thought Clara has been ok this season (and last). She has clearly been slowly getting more reckless and forceful, and the doctor has clearly been not happy with that. And she has been quite good at softening this doctors character, with the cute cue cards etc.

It was how they introduced her and despite being never mentioned again once in the entire series, it was an important event. Be a shame to not reference it in some way.

Doesn't really cheapen it because it wouldnt really be Clara.

The Hobo

Presumably, the contract was locked on Clara and couldn't be transferred to someone else.

Gone. That was used in Ashildr's previous episode to save that guy.

M.Bluth

How? He can't stop the countdown, the raven will kill her regardless.
As for using a regeneration to revive her, IIRC, it only happened in Let's Kill Hitler, and River used all her regenerations to bring back 11th, who I'm not sure was completely dead at the time, but I could be wrong on that.
And then we could look at it from the whole "you can't cheat it" angle, which can easily be applied to being revived, so the raven will just keep killing her.

I don't understand how her immortality would help her save Clara

Already used in the Woman Who Lived.
edit: beaten to that...

The "the doctor isnt here right now. You are talking to me" line was cool as hell.

that whole exchange was just chilling. Kinda reminded me of Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister when he was listing who he's brining

MrBadger

Me isn't immune to death so I'd imagine the raven would still kill her.

It was how they introduced her and despite being never mentioned again once in the entire series, it was an important event. Be a shame to not reference it in some way.

Doesn't really cheapen it because it wouldnt really be Clara.

Yeah if anything it'll be heartbreaking (12 sees Clara but not his Clara, brilliant acting chance for Capaldi) and a great chance for Coleman to act the shit out a new Clara one last time. She owned all three.

I many ways this makes sense Clara is destined to die at all time

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I disagree. I thought Clara has been ok this season (and last). She has clearly been slowly getting more reckless and forceful, and the doctor has clearly been not happy with that. And she has been quite good at softening this doctors character, with the cute cue cards etc.

Completely in the being told not shown category for me, the ongoing problem line really jumped out.

Becoming the Doctor began in Flatline, and it was never picked up by this series or any attempt made to show it like that. Clara had taken a backseat, with her defining moment not being her at all but her sexy evil clone.

This series just wasn't concerned with character development until this episode, where it suddenly brought everything back from series 8 and Rigsy to boot.

Worked beautifully, but just highlighted what had been missing in the stories before.

Top Bottom